Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > his credit card declined when he went to pay?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 what-a-knob-head1
Msg: 126
his credit card declined when he went to pay?Page 6 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
To the op:

If a guy can't manage his finances chances are he won't be any good at handling most other situations either.

People should always carry a credit card, debit card and cash. Seriously the bloke should have learnt that by now.
 wild heart
Msg: 127
his credit card declined when he went to pay?
Posted: 6/17/2009 9:50:08 AM
Even if this ever happened to me, I would go right then and there to a bank and pay the person back.

Yes, I understand that sh*t happens. It's when the sh*t happens all the time that there's a problem.

I went on a date once and the guy I was with only had a bit of cash on him, so he contributed some to the dinner bill (cheap vietnamese). I wasn't concerned about that. We had to quickly get to a movie, and unfortunately he didn't have cash on him. Again, in this day and age, some people do not carry cash all the time, it's not a biggie for me, so I paid for the movie. He seemed pretty embarassed about it, and it honestly didn't bother me at all.

He did stop contacting me after that though, so I'm not sure what happened. BUT, here's the important part people: I do not think of him as a cheap guy because of one incident. Many people on here will rant on about stuff like this.

Had he done it again in a row, I might have started to be suspicious.
 Geek Goddess
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2009 1:50:18 PM
I dunno , but I think I may be too independent..and usually insist I pay my way the first few times at least. I do not expect any man to cover my expenses ..and if truly was a fluke I would feel nothing about covering his share, and giving him a lil wink saying The next ones on you :p
 sktea
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2009 6:54:14 PM

The check comes and the guy says he left his wallet at home. I told the waiter it would be separate checks.

Well done!
 Forums001
Msg: 130
Posted: 6/19/2009 7:01:19 PM
Geek Goddess I think you should be holding seminars in teaching women today this.
You are a rare gem for sure.
 kdkutie1
Msg: 131
Posted: 6/22/2009 4:00:14 PM
Do not go out with this guy again. He didn't care enough to plan ahead by at least checking his balance or going to the ATM. He will continue to be working from behind as long as you know him.
 gtrr43
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2010 8:48:58 AM
It happens,people make mistakes,If there going on a first date ,it should be dutch anyway.
 readthedamnprofile
Msg: 133
Posted: 9/14/2010 9:16:56 AM
Just ask him. If he claims he is not having any financial difficulties than he has no excuse for not at least going dutch.

If he sticks you with the bill again, pay your half in front of the serving staff so they know you are not the welcher and walk away leaving him to deal with the consequences of not being able to pay for his half.
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 134
Posted: 9/15/2010 2:11:35 PM
State what your expectations are before going out- that's really all you can do, as well as being prepared to pay in case things like this happen.
I had a guy forget his wallet on a first date. He had already told me he wanted to buy me dinner. I got to the restaurant and he was at the bar drinking water looking a bit mortified. He told me up front and I could tell he was sincere. We simply enjoyed the meal and I paid. He reciprocated a dinner later in the week and I thought that was a nice gesture.

Maybe he was using a debit card. Mine has a daily limit and I found that out the hard way, and no way to call the bank to raise the daily limit until the next day.
 MisterDynomite
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2010 3:33:58 PM

but do you think this was just a way to get out of paying?

The only person that really has an answer for that is him. We don't know if he really didn't know or if he did...

what you DO know is that you can tell him before the next date to bring cash so that option of you "paying for everything" is eliminated and nipped in the bud before you two go out next time. (if there IS a "next time")

ProcolHarem
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2010 3:50:21 AM
I've had something like that happen. Something went awry with the magnetic strip in the back of the card and it was rejected.
I also heard a rumor that cell phones, in close contact to credit cards can affect the strip.
Msg: 137
Posted: 9/18/2010 12:18:41 AM
I don't see what the big deal is? So you had to pay for lunch.So what! It's not like he wanted you to buy him a car.You are just looking for an excuse to get rid of him.
 sexyisback!
Msg: 138
Posted: 9/18/2010 8:26:18 AM

I had the similar situation before. It was not his credit card; it was his debit card got declined. I was VP for banks before, so I know what was going on here. Amazing! I felt more embarrassed than him. After it happened twice in one week, I dumped him. There is no need to waste time on a man who can not manage his finance in any age. It does not matter how good looking he is… Don’t deal anyone who has no integrity

POSSIBLY you are maing assumptionsif it happened only ONCE? OK if twice or more , I can se it.

I've had my debit card declined at a restaurant, sort of embarrassing, (but I had enough cash with me, & paid) then went to a store immediately after and bought $60 worth of stuff & it worked just fine -- I KNEW I had a much more than adequate balance in my account.

the next day I talked to the restaurant guy & he said:" Oh yeah we had a problem with the machine/connection"

these technologies are NOT always 100% reliable.
 fashiongal2
Msg: 139
Posted: 9/19/2010 9:38:53 PM
First time this happened, I would give him the benefit of the doubt. My credit / debit card has been declined before due to unknown reasons. Some people don't carry much cash on them.
 Lukeios
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2010 12:06:51 AM
So? Discreetly bring it up with him if it matters so much to you. Studies that are used to establish fact from fiction use sample sizes of thousands of cases to prove their point. This guy busted out his credit/debit card and found himself in an embarassing situation just once. No one is going to come to any rational conclusion on this guy.

Dumpling-Girl
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2010 6:58:42 AM
So your instincts are right, and he admitted that it wasn't embarrassing for him to not be able to even pay his half, and that his last girlfriend would pay for everything. So yah, he's cheap and possibly even dishonest about ever intending to pay. So you were right in suspecting something after going out with him several times, and him never paying. My question now, is why do you keep going out with him? Even if he does bring cash now to be able to cover his half, just his inclination to try and let you pay all the time is a red flag. A guy looking for a sugar mama is not going to be someone who will even wind up being a good friend, nevermind a boyfriend. Sounds sleazy.
 JRodriguez81
Msg: 142
Posted: 9/21/2010 7:23:06 AM
The fact that the OP has experienced this with this guy multiple times already tells me that he is just doing this nonsense on purpose.

Why cant he even pay for his half?

Seems strange.
 tinainhouston39
Msg: 143
Posted: 9/21/2010 2:43:57 PM
Hahahah I agree with you! Not sure what the point of talking to him about it is at all. Clearly your thinking evil thoughts about him and typing them for all of us to see...lol What's the point of even pursuing it?? I can see you have little respect now for this man. That's fine I guess...it's your dating life...but don't do HIM a favor by lecturing him and gracing him with your presents. I think he might not hold the same value system as you do and you two are not prob going to go very far. Respect should be on the forefront of every relationship...do him a favor and drop him....he prob isn't going to like how that whole conversation goes if you ever decide to have it with him instead of all of us :) A little food for thought...some people test others to see how selfish/money hungry they are. Since he paid several times before then it would have been a show of grace for you to pick that one up.
 Lil Brooker
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2010 9:28:32 PM

You think I should be paying his way every time and wining and dining the guy?

HELLO! Every time? You are describing one incident. In this case you should have paid for the bill (of which you incurred half), in a manner that would save face for him. If it occurs a second time, know that he's a mooch and bow out of any future dates.
 Worbug
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2010 12:16:01 PM
I always carry cash, credit cards are very bad and will never have one (so shoot me). If I invite someone out, then I am responsible for paying in my book. That includes if I ask friends (male or female) out for a night an they tell me they are broke, me and my friends have done this for each other on numerous occasions. as far as inviting a woman to dinner or what have you, my mother would come up out of the grave and get me (LOL) if I did not pick up the tab, dutch is out of the question if I am out with a woman of interest.

OP Obviously money is at the forefront with you. You seem to feel pretty miffed over a $ 30.00 tab, the way you are ranting, one would think you blew a thousand dollars on him. I would suggest if you feel so used, type up a bill and present it to him with the appropriate interest rate (the juice), and once he pays, move on, he is obviously not the "Sugar Daddy" in which you are seeking.

One cannot help but wonder if a man had started this thread about a girl that asked him out and he had to pay because her card was declined. Oh my, dare I ponder what the threads would read. LOL

At the end of the day, you are not happy, you have no respect for this man. The seed is already in your brain that he is a cheap, a mooch, deadbeat, etc..... There is but one choice for you and that is to move on. As far as he goes, he could be no luckier than to be rid of you and your self serving ways.

Note to Self: Do not drink water in fromt of women. FOFLMAO
 cenomeno
Msg: 146
Posted: 9/25/2010 8:19:57 AM

This happened only once

OP wow! so you had to pay 30 bucks ( prob half of it was your share anyway).... All this fuss ..hmm. What a cheap woman you're.... Many people don't carry cash but check cards. These cards decline for many reasons other than "insufficient funds"

I hope he never calls you, you never see him again and get stuck with 15 dolla hole .... Jeezuz krist
 pitufina_77
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2010 9:33:07 AM
I've had my card declined at a supermarket because the strip was scratched. Everybody thought the worse, I knew it was a technical reason.

I was embarrased, because people do think the worse. Still, I had more than enough money in my account...
 ncdamsel
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2010 8:25:08 PM
I say ditch him, find some one else, it is not worth all the worry with this guy
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 149
Posted: 9/29/2010 11:38:45 PM

I got stuck paying for a $30+ lunch

the f..king gaul?

how dare such a thing happen...

i mean everyone these days truly wants a free ride...just for us gracing them with our mere presence...

this is classic.
 Greyfeld
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2010 12:49:48 PM

Why is he even socializing if he truly has no money at all?

This statement pretty much told me everything I need to know about you and your way of life.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > his credit card declined when he went to pay?