Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Saskatchewan  > Its Football Season      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Its Football SeasonPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Ahhh the sweet sound of a footbal fan in Saskatchewan!

ALN...(A little Nervous)...you do bring up a point about Sask. QB's.....I don't think we have stuck with one good QB for any significant time since Ronny!

And even him we kicked out when he wanted to be coach.(ok it was more complicated than that but..)

But you imply that we try and develop bad QB's that go no where.
Not Always!
There is this little guy named Burris!....we should have never let Glenn go. Bishop is still playing....ok, lets not laugh at that one too much.....and Joseph while potentially great , will never be anything without Kent Austin or someone like that who can get into his psyche!

Also lets not fail to mention that two of smartest coachs out there are former Sask. players.

Frankly (but I am biased) I think we have a tandem like the one that got us the Grey Cup in 1989....
However, what really worries me...is the Offensive line. Maybe Schultzy should come back. The protection is worse and the running game is not at all what it was.
Mind you I would like anyones opinion on what you see with Cates....I don't think the zip is still there....watch for that tomorrow.

BUT WHAT REALLY WORRIES ME is the Special Teams...somebody better get that group together.
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Its Football Season
Posted: 8/17/2009 8:10:09 PM
A win is a win! And what did my last post warn about?

Special teams! They just about lost us a game!
 a_little_nervous
Msg: 28
Its Football Season
Posted: 8/19/2009 3:43:28 PM
Burris, Glen and Joseph are all better than Durant is right now. What I meant to suggest is that we develop starting QBs, then move them out of the province when they want starting QB salaries.

However, in another year or two Durant will be solid. Perhaps very solid. Of course, that's when we'll be wanting to groom that new kid from the states. He'll be a starter in 2-3 years, so I don't know what the Riders are thinking right now... develop Durant, trade him, have the new yank start, then try to sign someone from the free market when the kid goes back south to break the NFL?

Whatever. We've still got a winning record. However, the first few wins we really only were consistently lucky. They looked brutal in those first few games - we only won by sheer fluke. Lately the turnovers have slowed down and we've been forced to actually try to outplay teams, and our inconsistencies are left out in the open... we look bad.

Stick with Durant seems to be the plan, and if they're honestly wanting to develop him into a starter it is a good one. They just can't lose their nerve when the losses pile up. Perhaps we'll not only develop a QB this time, but we'll keep him here once he's a starter! That would be a shocker.

Good news is that the D is very solid, as always. And we've still got fantastic recievers, Cates (who I still like, he's been nursing an injury this year - which explains his production so far), and the O line will get healthier in the next few weeks... Let's see how Durant can learn in that time...
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Its Football Season
Posted: 8/19/2009 6:12:50 PM
Joseph and Glenn better than Durant? Hardly!
You did see Joseph pulled right?

Actually Durant reminds me a little of Glenn's periodic inconsistencies....yet they both can really light it up at times.

I agree "lucky" is right ! But you also have to good to be "lucky" so lets take it until they fully gel!
 That Guy Him
Msg: 30
Its Football Season
Posted: 8/19/2009 7:26:07 PM
Durant needs to continue playing like he did last weekend. I said it time and time again... it was his legs that won him games last year. This year? Up until last weekend it's been bland old Barrett-style. Offensive play 1... hand off to Wes Cates. Offensive play 2... Option a) sit in the pocket and hope someone gets open, Option b) sit in the pocket until the defenders get past the offensive line and sack you. Makes it easy on the linebackers knowing all they have to do is drop back in coverage as soon as Cates empties out of the backfield. Last game, Darien actually did some scrambling and picked up some first downs with his legs when nothing opened up. That's what led to his success last year in all the games he won. No more hanging out in the pocket. He needs to keep scrambling. That's a huge part of his game.

Seriously, I don't know what was up with LaPolice neither. With all the offensive weapons they've got, and it took him until week 7 to start playing some reverses and misdirection? I don't know if he was trying to save some of that stuff for the playoffs, but obviously he finally realized that it doesn't matter what kind of plays you've got hidden up your sleeve if you never make it to the big game to use them. But the first few games of the season weren't just unsuccessful, but it was relatively boring football to watch. I don't care if they managed to scrape out 3 wins, the only reason they were exciting is becuase the other teams made them a lot closer than they should have been.

And yeah... special teams had better get their act together. I thought that's why Kavis Reed came in here, to help us improve on that. I only see us going backwards. Granted we lost our special teams demon Kitwana Jones, but there are plenty enough good players on the team to step up. They're just not filling the right gaps, nor do they have good blocking schemes for our own returners. We haven't had a good return game since 2005, even though Dressler had a little bit of success last year.

At least Clermont seems to finally be getting some balls thrown his way. That's going to make a huge difference in getting our wide receivers open if he starts contributing on a consistent basis. But again... it all starts with Durant keeping the linebackers guessing, opening up the middle a bit for Clermont to get open. We'll see if he can do that against Montreal. They've got some game film now that they can watch to see where he can sneak through the line if there's nothing down the field.

And where the hell is Reggie? If he's not going to sign with BC, what's taking them so long to get him here? I know our linebackers aren't the weakest part of the team, but it wouldn't hurt to strengthen that line of defense.
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Its Football Season
Posted: 8/23/2009 8:54:34 AM
A few bad calls .....(of course which all Rider fans resort to , every now and then).....

But seriously I do see inconsistent calls....and I discovered yesterday that my observations may be valid. There is rumor that the CFL is not completely satisfied with officiating either.

I will give a for instance.....numerous times this year, I have seen the referees not call call the 5 yard rule when the returner fields tha ball....especially Riders (not so much this last game) but with other teams as well. BUT then certain teams...all of which are in the top of the league with "exciting" returners, always get the 5 yard penality called against the opponent when they are anywhere near 5 yards.

And the game with the Riders and Montreal.....they replayed in slower motion the run back that Dressler had abit later in the game that would have placed them in great field goal if not touch down position.

You can see Morris deliver his block which (maybe unnecessarily ..yet legally) involved hands to the face of the opponent.....the block was likely inconsequential to the run back.....and while at best it could be conscrued that Morris may have grabbed the guys face mask slightly...maybe.....what I found interesting was that Dressler had already passed that block and had gone at least another 5 yards before the official EVEN REACHED for the flag.
I mean wouldn't it be more normal for the official to see an infraction...automatically reach for the flag.....maybe then think about it a second..........as opposed to seeing the infraction , waiting 2 or 3 seconds to see that the play looks like it will be a good one for Sask. and then and ONLY THEN reach for the flag?

Of course it is never about just one call...nor necessarily one play....so beit!

The offence is not strong enough on running....for several years now I have come accustom to the No one being able to stop the Riders get 2 yards ..let alone one....I used to wonder why they didn't do more gambling like Monteal does on short and 3rd.

But the strength is not there....anyone ...can you theorize why?

And sorry Mr. Morris, you have to go ! You are not a very good returner. You are making mistakes. We need better!

Come on! If we need Dressler returning kicks all time THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG!
 a_little_nervous
Msg: 32
Its Football Season
Posted: 8/30/2009 8:13:47 AM
There's so many problems here I don't know where to start...

perhaps I won't say anything this time. Best not to. I'll give them two games after the break before I start to give up on the season. Doesn't look like we'll be playoff bound, unless we can somehow cross over... and with Hamilton playing well and Winnipeg playing 500 ball we won't be able to do that. :(
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Its Football Season
Posted: 8/30/2009 6:28:30 PM
Yikes "nervous" I am not sure why so much pessicism.....you forget that Winnipeg is relying on Bishop and BC may finally have blown their budget to bring in great players under the radar (and salary cap) ....
---maybe someone is watching them a bit closer...or maybe they are out of tricks of pulling rabbits (and Printers) out of the hat!

The Riders have great potential and frankly I still think we could be the Grey Cup against Montreal!
 That Guy Him
Msg: 34
Its Football Season
Posted: 9/2/2009 8:27:53 PM
I think the first thing the Riders need to do is get rid of Miller. Can you believe this?

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports/Roughriders+meet+with+Matt+Dominguez+Reggie+Hunt/1952344/story.html

Basically he tells one of the best linebackers this team has had (in recent years if not team history), "... we're going to go right now with the people we have. We’ve had the injuries, but we’ve had some young players who have stepped in." Ummm... retard? What happens if the people we have right now get injured too? Well obviously we're not going to get a proven vet now.

"We’re playing pretty well on defence and the guys who are backing up right now are pretty instrumental in our kicking game." If we aren't already, we've got to be close to last on return yards, and first on most yards allowed on special teams. Oh yeah... bringing in Hunt is really going to kill our kicking game. What, we'll have average returns of 4 yards per kick instead of 5, and give up 1 touchdown per game covering returns instead of just 1 every 2 games?

Oh but wait! Now we've got Armstead! Hurray! Isn't he the same guy that couldn't wait to get out of Saskatchewan? Was last year his audition for the green and white when he muffed two kick offs as a member of the Als that lead to a dramatic Riders' comeback? What good will it do to have him? Dressler is a speedy returner too. The problem isn't with the returner, it's with the blocking schemes. The only thing speed does is gets you to an unblocked defender faster.

When Tillman hired Miller, I thought, "Ok, give the guy a chance. We'll see what he can do." Well, I think he's had his chance. He is not a head coach. He is useless. We're going to be as inept as we were in the 90's if we don't get rid of him soon. Nobody is going to want to play here.
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Its Football Season
Posted: 9/7/2009 10:52:43 AM
Yes ! That Guy..! But can you tell us what you REALLY think of Coach Miller?

I agree that the organization should have promoted Richie instead...but that might have been a year too early.

However, I must admit I am not 100% behind Miller as well. He has made the odd poor choice but you must give him credit with what he did last year with all the injured players. Comparing him to other coaches around the league, however, there are only about 2 other coaches I would chose over him.....so thats not all that bad and FAR CRY from demanding he be fired.......after all we could have hired Kelly!! LOL!!
 That Guy Him
Msg: 36
Its Football Season
Posted: 9/9/2009 6:12:12 PM

I agree that the organization should have promoted Richie instead...but that might have been a year too early.

That I agree with. Hall needs a chance to get run out of another town for making rookie head coaching mistakes. We've learned that lesson with Ron Lancaster. In 5 - 10 years, we can bring Richie back so that he doesn't have to feel the wrath of being booed out of Riderville.

But Miller... I'm sorry. There are always coaches to be found. He may not have done squat with the Ti Cats, but Charlie Taaffe comes to mind. We've got a better team than he had in Hamilton, and I think here he would have had the same kind of success he enjoyed in Montréal. Miller is an X's and O's guy. He knows the game, but he's not inspiring. That's what you need from your head coach.

Don't get me wrong. I like the guy and all, but just not as a head coach. It'd be no different than if they put Stevie Baggs in at quarterback. Put the puzzle pieces where they belong. Get him back working with LaPolice on the offense.
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Its Football Season
Posted: 9/9/2009 7:01:14 PM
well there is a point about Miller's inspirational ability. I kind of think he lets his assistants address that. I think he HAS TO BE a fairly good , hard working organizer.

But I guess swe will see with what is left of the season....there is no way he he will be terminated before then.

The most perplexing thing is what "inspiration" they are using at half time. I am keeping my fingers crossed that with the touch down with 6 seconds left in the 3 rd Quarter , they have got that jinx off their back.

I recall when the Riders were called the "cardiac kids" for all their late come back wins...( funny I heard Richie use that term for the Eskimos this year...wonder where he heard it before? LOL!!)
 That Guy Him
Msg: 38
Its Football Season
Posted: 9/9/2009 10:40:12 PM

I recall when the Riders were called the "cardiac kids" for all their late come back wins...

Yeah... they were a bit notorious for that during the Barrett years. Unfortunately they weren't successful quite enough. I wish I could remember all the details of the "cardiac kid" game, I think it was 1996. They were down by like 16 or something with less than 3 minutes left, against the Eskimos. All the part time fans were headed for the exits or already out in the parking lot. The Riders scored a quick touchdown, and on the ensuing kickoff recovered the onside kick. They marched down the field and scored another touchdown. The next kick off they tried an onside kick again, but Edmonton recovered. The defense stood their ground, and with under a minute remaining, Edmonton had to punt. Now some of those details may be slightly off. But what I do remember is on that punt, Darren Joseph returned it, with no flags on the play, all the way to the south endzone for the game winning touchdown. I remember laughing at all the fools who missed it, watching them try to scramble back in through the gate in the endzone to see what everyone was cheering about.

But yes... third quarters have been brutal for us this year.

I missed it earlier, but saw tonight that the Eskimos released Kitwana Jones. And it looks like the Riders already had his ticket back to Regina paid for and ready before he even left Commonwealth Stadium. That should give us a little added boost on special teams, and fill the void made by making sure Hunt doesn't ever come back,

But yeah... the team is playing just well enough to keep Miller's job safe for the time being. We're in a three-way tie for top spot in the Western Division... still have a shot at a third straight home playoff game.

Now all we need is the Tillman thing sorted out so we can figure out if we've got a GM or not. They should hurry up with that. They waited long enough to press charges. They obviously have evidence and a case. Screw all the WITHOUT PREJUDICE bullshit correspondence that the lawyers are using to screw everybody out of their life savings and just get on with it. Guilty or not guilty, I don't care. Let's just get that chapter done and over with so we can move on.
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Its Football Season
Posted: 9/12/2009 2:32:05 PM
I hear ya on those last points!

Nopt sure what the story around HUNT but am glad Kitty kitty is will be here. I'll have to check the papers out here to find out whats behind the Edmonton firings and releases.

Tomorrow I guess we can talk about whether the Riders are still teid for first or tied for second....helluva game today with the Smoos and the Stamps...personally its the way it should be....Edmonton I have never felt deserving of first place. Next week , we can show them they deserve to be cleat fodder !!

Those were some great games but way to much stress for this fan !!
 That Guy Him
Msg: 40
Its Football Season
Posted: 9/14/2009 5:37:42 PM
GET RID OF MILLER ALREADY!!! How many games does he have to cost us before we do something about his ineptitude?

Well, we still suck ass on special teams (I guess Jones didn't make it for this game), but the team played well. Then again, it was only Winnipeg. If they had a quarterback, I don't think it would have been such a lopsided victory. We'll see what we can do against Edmonton. Not like they're an elite team, but they should provide us a bit more of a challenge. We have yet to beat them this year (losing in both the regular and pre-season games).

I guess it'll depend on the third quarter. Is that monkey finally off our back for the rest of the season? 16 - 0 for us in the third quarter in that game. That's a trend we need to keep going.

You didn't happen to attend the game, did ya tempt? Looked like a great atmosphere... for inbred banjo pickin' rednecks.
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Its Football Season
Posted: 9/15/2009 10:40:18 PM
Ok! If you keep winkin at me people are going to start gettin the wrong impression......even some banjo-pickin inbreds have to draw the line somewhere.....by the way anyone seen those cute sheep feedin along the road between Regina and MJ, LOL!!.....

No ....I missed this game...first one i missed in a number of years...boo hoo!!

always a great time!

Let me tell you what I DID see when watched the game on TV.....one thing happened that made me the proudest I have been to be a Rider fan. It was after the game!!!

A Rider fan was being interviewed after the game on his way to the parking lot....he was asked what he thought about the lopsided victory. Instead of gloating, and boasting and criticizing he said " it must have been tough for the Bomber fans to watch this . But the Bombers are where we were 3 years ago. But we got our way out of it and so will the Bombers!"

Imagine that! Giving empathy and encouragement to your "enemy" in defeat. That is so so Saskatchewanism!!!
 That Guy Him
Msg: 42
Its Football Season
Posted: 9/16/2009 6:04:49 PM

A Rider fan was being interviewed after the game on his way to the parking lot....he was asked what he thought about the lopsided victory. Instead of gloating, and boasting and criticizing he said " it must have been tough for the Bomber fans to watch this . But the Bombers are where we were 3 years ago. But we got our way out of it and so will the Bombers!"

He did what? Does he know what he's set in motion now? I remember Grey Cup '97, hanging out at the Howard Johnson in Edmonton the night before the game. That Ti Cat fan that's at every Grey Cup, the one with the fur coat... he came to the Rider party. The Ti Cats did pretty shitty that year, and I echoed similar sentiments to that fellow (except that the Riders didn't suck three years eariler, they had sucked for the last 3 years and then some), and look what happened! Following year the Cats are in the Grey Cup, and they win it the year after. So now the Bombers are gonna win in '11. Ah well... I guess now that the Riders have that monkey off their back, Winnipeg is currently the team with the longest drought.

But yeah... Rider fans have been through the worst of times, and most of us don't really wish that on anybody, not even Argo fans. But it happens to every team I guess. It just happens to last longer for the Riders than it does for anybody else.
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Its Football Season
Posted: 9/16/2009 7:18:10 PM
Now come on now ! Argo fans too? Lets not get too carried away. They are probably the ONLY team with little fan base...everyone there thinks the "centre of the earth" should only have NFL ...Little New Yorker wannabees!

The league really needs that Ottawa team! Good fans there! but there is a roomer that Ottawa might come back with the "Rider" name....I suggest we start campaigning against it RIGHT NOW!!
 That Guy Him
Msg: 44
Its Football Season
Posted: 9/16/2009 8:41:56 PM
All the more reason to not torture the few fans they have that actually love the team. The Argos have been a team the people should be able to easily get behind, throughout their history. It's really a shame for the franchise that it's based in a market that doesn't appreciate it's value. But I digress.

I don't understand why Ottawa would come in as the Riders again. It's time for them to just give up on that.

I've gotta say though, I do like the 60's throwback unis. The only team that I think had gets a failing grade (talk about irony considering all the good things I just said about them) was the Argos. Everyone else's look really good. The two that I really like are the Ti Cats and the Lions. Those two teams look mean with those retro colours and designs.
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Its Football Season
Posted: 9/18/2009 5:12:29 PM
Ya the uniforms for the TI Cats and Lions are good...They keep raving about the Montreal ones on TV.....give me a break....like what is that supposed to be on their helmuts ? some deformed bird , I guess...to me its just BAD ART!!
And the Riders....aggghhh!!! I hate those uniforms....maybe it reminds me too much of all the losing years.....you will note that it was with their modern uniform they did what once seemingly impossible....beat the Bombers twice 2 years in a row....and last time must have been near a record scoring...if you count the last touch down that got called back ...I am sure it was a club record.
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Its Football Season
Posted: 10/18/2009 12:02:24 PM
So did anyone see the Sask./Calgary game? Whats your thoughts?
 sum1reel
Msg: 47
Its Football Season
Posted: 7/20/2011 6:49:11 PM
wrong thread!...please delete
 Loucinders
Msg: 48
Its Football Season
Posted: 7/22/2011 8:22:07 PM
Who cares if the teams are winning or not.
It's all about what they wear
Show ALL Forums  > Saskatchewan  > Its Football Season