Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > What do women over 50 find desirable and undesirable in a man's profi      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thelastdance51
Msg: 326
What do women over 50 find desirable and undesirable in a man's profile?Page 14 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
Do me a favor then Molly?
Check out my profile and comment on it please

And can any of you lovely ladies tell me what in the heck is meant by 'overall alignment'? I recieved that in a email yesterday from some gal I wrote to.
 TryAgan
Msg: 327
view profile
History
What do women over 50 find desirable and undesirable in a man's profile?
Posted: 1/1/2012 2:01:24 PM

I'm still the wrong religion - I'm not going to quit smoking - and I'm not going to get rid of my animals. .....
And 98% of the men in my age range want someone who's anywhere from legal to 40ish, not someone who's their own age.

I seriously doubt these statistics, what could a 65 year old do with that much younger woman?
Based on your own description above, the qualifiyng pool for interested men would shrink drastically, so you must be searching in very murky waters.
 Rokei57
Msg: 328
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2012 2:18:52 PM
I recently recieved an email from a man and I didn't even bother to read the profile. While he was quite attractive, the first picture was taken in the kitchen and all I saw was the huge pile of dirty dishes and mail and general clutter all over his countertops. The second picture was taken in his bedroom with his shirt off. I consider that tasteless to begin with, but then again were the massive piles of dirty laundry, unmade bed, just a pig pen. If I can't get past the lack of thought put into the photo I'm not going to be interested in the profile.
 kari135
Msg: 329
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2012 3:37:11 PM

I seriously doubt these statistics, what could a 65 year old do with that much younger woman?
Based on your own description above, the qualifiyng pool for interested men would shrink drastically, so you must be searching in very murky waters.

As far as I've been able to tell, what those 65 y/o men want with younger wome is arm candy for cruises. Some come right out and say they want to start new families - I can't imagine anything more appalling than dealing with diapers and teething at this age... caring for one's grandchildren is one thing, starting another generation - shudders.

No, I'm not at all interested in anyone who drinks like a fish, but so far where I've been it's either all or nothing. I might have a mixed drink or a beer manybe once every 6 months of so - but to quite a few, that's far too much. And have a glsss of wine with a good steak? The horrors! "You mean you're a carnivore? And you DRINK?" There are plenty of the New Age-y ones around here who are like that. If they don't worry about not being a vegetarian (or vegan) and drink/smoke, they are also usually members one of the fundamentalist religions who do expect their choice of woman to be the same religion. I won't get into any kind of discussion here on religion, but I will say I'm just not the right one for most of the men who specify one.

Back when I still contacted men who weren't forumites, I was told I'd have to convert to their religion - that's not gonna happen, and it strikes me as a remarkably arrogant thing to say to anyone. Then there are my dogs - I've been a private rescue for 40+ years, and I see it as a demonstration that I have the ability to commit. There are some men who agree, but not a single on in my generation, not that I've seen since I joined POF. They've all told me I had to get rid of my animals first, then we could see if we got along.

And that doesn't begin to touch on politics. I've seen many, many profiles of men who - if they don't come right out and say "you'll have to vote the way I tell you" - will say that they are such and so, and "if you don't agree, just click NEXT."

Then there's that little bit in my own history, that bit where I spent over 30 years in Alaska - rural Alaska - and I learned a whole lot about myself there. For one thing, I don't "need" someone to take care of me, I've been doing it for quite awhile. Even so, some will write and ask what it was like, living in the 'real' Alaska, but when I told them what it was like for me, the things I'd seen and done, they'd accuse me of lying. Everyone "knows" that kind of thing doesn't happen in real life.

And me, I have some standards too. I'm not interested in any homophobic racist bigots of any kind. That shortens the list, and the fishing pool for me is a very small puddle indeed. I didn't start out with the thought that what I'd find were primarily pen pals from around the world, but that's what I've ended up with. Shrug. Friends are good, though I'd also like to have a warm body next to me when I wake up at least once in awhile.
 dmzvisitor
Msg: 330
Posted: 1/1/2012 4:24:08 PM
And can any of you lovely ladies tell me what in the heck is meant by 'overall alignment'? I recieved that in a email yesterday from some gal I wrote to.

Those two words, to me, mean you are or are not a good match. If you have a good "overall alignment," then a lot of the things you like/are/want match up. If not, then they don't match up.

Him: golfer, 6', bachelor's degree, laid back, partially retired, likes women under 5'4" with red hair

Her: red hair, 5'3", some college, likes laid back men, enjoys golfing, prefers tall men.

Good "overall alignment"

Him: business exec who competes in trialthalons, looks younger than his age (55), plays golf, looking for fit women 25-50.

Her: artist, enjoys fishing, greying hair, 52.

Likely not a good overall alignment

OR: the person who wrote consulted her psychic and found that the stars were/were not in an overall alignment. :)

There is a link for "profile review" under the "show all forums" link.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 331
Posted: 1/1/2012 5:52:09 PM
Desirable:
Paying attention to spelling, grammar, punctuation and content. Doesn't have to be perfect, but it should look like he made the effort.
Avoidance of cliches, or at least personalizing the cliche to tell why he likes "walks on the beach"...etc.
Something personal and unique, a profile that lets his personality come through; not the same profile that could be cut-and-pasted by thousands of other people.
Clear and unfuzzy photos taken within the past 4-5 years - of a smiling man in clean clothes who is aiming to make a good first impression.

Undesirable:
"Anything you want to know just ask" - Why would I bother, other than to ask "why can't you make the effort to create a halfway interesting profile?"
Writing the profile in textspeak.
"I love walks on the beach" (ackk), "I can go from a suit to blue jeans" (who doesn't?) and similar cliches. How about making it interesting? Describing what beach is a favorite to walk on, and why, is better than using the lazy phrases.
Photos of a guy in a tank top or "wife beater" undershirt. Trust me, there are probably .01% of guys over 40 who can get away with wearing those in public without looking like a tool.
Photos of the bike, car, truck, dog, boat, etc. that are meant only to show off the guy's possessions as in, "He who dies with the most toys wins". Guess what? It ain't true.
Anything negative or bitter about women, his job, his location, etc. If a guy spews in his profile, he'll likely be that much worse in real life.
Whining or needy desperation. As the Iceman says, "Run Forrest Run!"
 chillin1955
Msg: 332
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2012 8:46:28 AM
any negative statement of any kind turns me off.

Pet Peeve: they will say "no baggage" or/ and elaborate a bit on it.

Let me tell you something Ladies, if they say that, then they aren't over their own baggage.
 Woodn88s
Msg: 333
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2012 11:33:20 AM
[Let me tell you something Ladies, if they say that, then they aren't over their own baggage.]

Not bustin on ya chillin1955.............but along the same lines, If I see a profile with "Not high maintenance" written on it you can pretty much bet the opposite is reality....just sayin
 MEXICANLADY42
Msg: 334
Posted: 1/19/2012 1:11:17 PM
What I want to see in a man's profile:
#1 - current photo. Full body shot & a close up (head shot)
#2 - no negatives. Hey, we all feel like we get crapped on from time to time, we've encountered liars, cheats, and thieves. Does it really need to be re-inforced in the profile?
#3 - laundry list. If it's too long, I'm going to get bored. Hey, I know we all live by OUR OWN "Laws of Attraction", but if the laundry list has 100 physical requirements, prepare to join the Lonely Hearts Club.
#4 - vague profiles. If your profile doesn't list any interests, I'll start to wonder if you have a pulse.
#5 - age ranges. If a man lists he's interested in women from ages 20 to 99, I'm going to run. He's either desperate or he doesn't know what he wants.
#6 - photos. Almost the same as #1, but do I really want to see you in a photo with some "hot young thing", that I don't know if she was your former wife, is your daughter, or your Maid? Sell yourself, not the women in your life. I'm not interested in them.
#7 - photos. I know, I'm repeating myself about photos. Lose the caps and the hats. I know you possibly can't sleep with them on. How would you like for my mug shot on POF to show me wearing my hair curlers and God forbid, cold cream on my face!
#8 - spelling. If every other word is spelled incorrectly, I'm going to assume you didn't pass 8th grade. Hire a Secretary or install spell checker on your computer.
#9 - THE BOTTOM! I'm not talking about your rear. I'll check the bottom of your profile to see if you've posted to the forums. I'll read your forum postings. If you constantly whine, if you bash, or come across in a negative manner, I'll either label you as a Troll or a Woe Is Me, of which I will have no choice but to refer you to a phone number: 1-800-WAAH. I suppose there are Drama Kings in this world.
#10 - sex. There is a time and a place for sex. Your profile isn't the place to mention your black book. Face it Gents, we all want to kiss, cuddle, and even get lucky to make it to a home run. If you've got to mention sex or you're into love making on your profile, I'll have to assume you are thinking with the Wrong Head. Quite possibly, you may need to fire the person that wrote your profile, and start from scratch!
#11 - photos. Here I go again. SMILE! When you post your mug on a dating site, you've got to smile. I'm talking about showing some teeth. This isn't a funeral here.
#12 - be creative! Take some time to be creative with your profile. It tells me that you've really taken some time to tell the world about yourself. The more creative the profile is, the more interested I become.

So TRUE SueCat51! That is exactly how most of us feel!? And I have come across all of those... By the way, they all want slim, attractive ladies and they themselves are not THAT goregeous!
 RIPTIDE59
Msg: 335
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2012 1:18:04 PM
@332 @chillin: POF is like the airport; we've all got "baggage". Those that claim not to raise a HUGE red flag.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > What do women over 50 find desirable and undesirable in a man's profile?