Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Should men act their age?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 karma1160
Msg: 51
Should men act their age?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Go for it why not? My grandchildren love me because I am the one going down the slide at the waterpark or singing silly songs as far as the rest of the people who are watching in contempt thinking I am acting childish tttooooooooooooooooooo bad
 Mer_mate
Msg: 52
Should men act their age?
Posted: 6/11/2009 2:39:28 PM
I hope not because you'll be "old" long before your time.

"Age" is a chronological indicator of how long we've been alive. Society likes to get in on it too and say how we should "act".
I'm old enough now that I realize my "drummer" isn't like everyone else's and trying to stay inside the "box " gives me headaches I don't want.
If it's an issue for others? That would be theirs to process out and be "old". I'm not going to start living my life now according to what never worked for me to start with and personally I would find it very attractive to see a man who would skinny dip, or start a water fight with me.
 SU_PI_AP
Msg: 53
Posted: 6/11/2009 6:10:19 PM
It didn't work out too well for David Carradine, so I say no, or at least proceed with caution.
 Divorced Broke and Bald
Msg: 54
Posted: 6/11/2009 6:56:26 PM
The age I act varies from day to day and is based on a formula involving the days temperature multiplied by the number of sections in that day's newspaper, to which the reversed last two digits of the time (eg: 9:03 would be 30; 9:51 would be 15) at which you hear the first dog bark from across the street, the cosign of which, when ... oh never mind. You get the idea.

It's never failed me yet!

caddboy
Msg: 55
Posted: 6/12/2009 8:50:24 AM
Only when necessary.
 iamnotsix
Msg: 56
Posted: 6/12/2009 4:52:40 PM
heck no - it's when people 40 and over act their age that the real trouble begins - boring boring boring
 Selima
Msg: 57
Posted: 6/12/2009 6:33:05 PM
heck no - it's when people 40 and over act their age that the real trouble begins - boring boring boring

In response to the above---

I agree with this:
The thin line that separates childLIKE (i.e., inner child) and childISH can make all the difference.

There are people who don't 'get' the difference, and they are boring, boring, boring...
 Moonchild51
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2009 6:41:44 PM

It didn't work out too well for David Carradine, so I say no, or at least proceed with caution.

Somehow, I think if you don't tie your nutters up in a noose may be to your advantage on that one!
 peterfrknpann
Msg: 59
Posted: 6/13/2009 3:42:26 PM
mark twain once said... "youth is wasted on the young"... kiss sems that your lack of age did not detract from you having wisdom.. well said.. oh to be 25 again... ( and in reno)
 Krystal413
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2009 7:29:27 PM

On the inside wants to be silly, go skinny dipping, sing songs from the sixties even if he cannot remember the words and be an outragouse flirt.

That sounds like a lot of fun to me and I have dated men in their 50's. What is not "responsible" about all that?
 lovinvixen
Msg: 61
Posted: 6/26/2009 3:43:36 PM
One can make extremely adult judgments and carry them on as actions, but does that mean one can not have a youthful spirit and have some fun?

I always thought that sex was the child reaction within us and restraint was the adult responsibility of that sacred dance between a man and woman.
 JoanieMaine
Msg: 62
Posted: 6/26/2009 4:00:44 PM

How should a man behave when he is 50+ mature, successful, a grandfather, a counselor to others, maybe even a pillar of his community. On the inside wants to be silly, go skinny dipping, sing songs from the sixties even if he cannot remember the words and be an outrageous flirt. I am not talking about the kind of guy who chases 20 year olds but one who does not feel like being the responsible person he is expected to be.

Oh, please don't act your age!!!

I think we should all act like we are seventeen as often as possible!!!
 pccc3
Msg: 63
Posted: 6/26/2009 4:30:50 PM
society imposes convention , to heck with it! Be yourself not what others expect you to be and if cutting loose is part of the package --so be it. Bear in mind this is coming from an entrepreneur one whom has not followed the crowd and bucked convention from the get go--quite exciting actually-and no regrets. Oh for the most part fit the bill you laid out in your intro save counselor and community pillar--bin der dun dat--no more savin the world for this bloke.
 kissmekindsir
Msg: 64
Posted: 6/27/2009 2:16:33 PM
That's the fault of this society, most know that generally males are wiser as they have seen and done things. In the animal kingdom many speacies like deer put value on the older wiser male to breed.

But America is so messed up, we ridicule the old man as a pervert for liking younger women. When he is attractive to many of us and has more accumulated wisdom than young stallions who are many times 'clueless' about life and relationships.

I'd hate to be 70 and be told "Act your Age"; should I act depressed and morbid when I get old?
 Artemis2009
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2009 3:59:31 PM
No matter what our age, it's healthy to still play and be silly - I do it all the time!

My inspiration for growing old is:-

(I Shall Wear Purple)

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
with a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me,
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we have no money for butter.
And I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
and pick flowers in other people's gardens,
And learn to spit.
You can wear terrible suits and grow fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickles for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beer nuts and things in boxes.

But meanwhile we must stay respectable
And must not shame the children; they mind more,
Even then we do, being noticeable.
We will keep dry with sensible clothes and spend
According to good value, and do what's best
To bring the best for us and our children.
But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

-
 Mickchick
Msg: 66
Posted: 6/27/2009 5:46:52 PM
From one whose profession requires a great deal of professional behavior and dress (required to take class in it every year!), but whose favorite holiday is Halloween (when I alternately paint myself green and wear striped hose, a tall pointy hat and carry a broom or a white wig and pretend I'm Paula Deen), followed closely by Christmas (when I drag out my reindeer headgear and red nose for my car), and St. Paddy's day (when I wear green hair, an Irish Princess tiara AND leapin leprauchans on my head) ... I say how is one who is scaring the hell out of 60 supposed to act?

I'm for being yourself, unless as they say, you're an ass - then be somebody else!
 Twisted Sister
Msg: 67
Posted: 6/27/2009 5:54:50 PM

On the inside wants to be silly, go skinny dipping, sing songs from the sixties even if he cannot remember the words and be an outragouse flirt

He should do all of the above - as often as possible !!
 Fit Maverick
Msg: 68
Posted: 6/28/2009 9:44:00 PM
In the animal kingdom I'm sure if we compared animal age to human age, like dogs having 7 years to one human year, the ones doing the mating aren't the ones that would be in there 7o's but even if that was the case a lot of human males, up until relatively recently, wouldn't be able to get it up for a young woman anymore. LOL - Also speaking of the animal kingdom- it's survival of the fittest- and the fittest get the lead in the mating- thus passing on the strong genes to the next generation- survival of the fittest in the human species is virtually non existent. If only!
 Avalon96
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2009 10:06:23 PM
When other people tell us to act our age, it's just a form of admonishment
that in their opinion we are not acting properly acccording to their standards.
People who can bring laughter, or lighten the mood, should be treasured.
I never saw the handbook for how we should act at what age,
but lots of studies have found that laughter is good for us.
Worrying about stuff and being stressed is bad for us.
I think the fools rule.
 867love
Msg: 70
Posted: 6/28/2009 10:33:16 PM
your never too old to rock!

ceffodicane
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2009 10:53:09 PM
At times, indeed, almost ridiculous—
Almost, at times, the Fool.

I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me.

Dear friends,

I am not sure Eliot did not get it right. We see in this particular forum the arguments of so many wishing for what cannot be, others attacking those who do not want what few want, in short, the arguments of what it is to be over forty five in a world where age has, in many ways, ceased to matter. In the world of religious folk, "elder" has some meaning other than having lived more time than "younger". In the word of many of us today, only that.

I am sure Faust did get it right, in one way. Seeking youthful pleasure, wantonness even, may be worth one's soul or not, but the idea of the aged and wise man using wisdom to attain youth, to be loved again, whatever that means, in a youthful body, power over nature herself creating the eros so strongly moves us that many of us consider the age after the death of the churches in our culture the so-called faustian age, or the age of humanism.

I cannot remember, being old, the name of the film where the middle aged man brought his mistress to the countryside, where his thirteen year old son fell in love with her, but remember two things, as pointedly as were they in my flesh now. She, the mistress, was torn between the two. The last scene was the most beautiful and sad I have ever experienced, in so many, many years in the theatre. She has left her flacon of perfume on the bureau, and the young man pours it, all of it, slowly over himself, as to drown in her scent. Alas, I am too befuddled to recall more, but the pain of it all and the ecstasy.

It is this elusive poetry the french do so well. We are all, indeed, caught, like the two magnets we played with as children, feeling the force between the antipodes. As Arkel says, in the great Belgian poem, "Let me kiss your forehead, if these old lips do not repulse you. It is true that before death one learns to long for beauty."

I am sure, then, that Maeterlink did get it right.

If that autumnal beauty, in our world of divorce, serial monogamy, of the lonely, the old, the sensual is not the beauty of the adolescent, then what have we left? It is no accident that the suicide rates peak when they do, for those who are young and have not seen the compromise of love for mammon, and those who are old cannot bear to see it share the fascination with our inevitable end. In the middle years, wherefore do we work? To end in the chair before the fire? To produce what none but the desperate consume.

The Baronness in Vanessa is said to have been so old she only understood the language of the young.

How, therefore, should we act our age? Or in another, sadder quote still from the Barber opera, "all change begins when love has died". How many of us are here because of the change of the death of love? To accept that each of us, in our own way, longs for the touch of another, whether the first stolen kiss or the last, this is what it means to me, looking at the short remainder of my life, to have been human.

Peace,

CdC
 Call me Ginny
Msg: 72
Posted: 7/1/2009 9:25:10 AM
No, not necessarily. In some things, sure, but as with women in our age bracket, the joy of childish things should never leave us. Wonder at our lives and the beauty around us, new experiences keep us as young as we ever were if we let hte.

We all have to be the "responsible adult," sometimes, maybe most of the time, but if we are young in our hearts, we'll never be old.

Divorced Broke and Bald
Msg: 73
Posted: 7/1/2009 9:31:10 AM
I am eagerly anticipating the so-called Second Childhood, so that finally I will be acting my age.
 Call me Ginny
Msg: 74
Posted: 7/1/2009 9:38:35 AM
From your posts, DB&B, I think you've got the right idea. I can see you having chicken races in your wheel chair down the halls of the foggies home when you're 99. LOL

A cousre, I'll be right behind you, or in front, bet i can beat cha to the shuffleboard court!

Divorced Broke and Bald
Msg: 75
Posted: 7/1/2009 10:04:38 AM
Ginny, I will let you beat me to the shuffleboard court, just so I can see those sweet octigeneric bloomers slowly shifting from side to side as I admire your wrinkled butt walkering ahead of me.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Should men act their age?