Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Does a man with a complicated personality threaten a woman's ego?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Artemis2009
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Does a man with a complicated personality threaten a woman's ego?Page 5 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
As another posted mentioned, a large portion of the population tend to be wary of people who appear 'different.'

People who think outside the cube and view things from diverse perspectives tend to make them feel slightly uncomfortable.

Whatever you do, don't try to change; it's who you are and there are many bright women who will find you fascinating.
 Jacque_29
Msg: 102
Does a man with a complicated personality threaten a woman's ego?
Posted: 6/18/2009 12:33:02 PM
I read your profile after reading some more of the comments made. I apologize now that my vocabulary is not extensive. I just bothered to learn the basics.

As for your profile, I don't see too much wrong with you. You smile which says you are open and friendly. You certainly show your best assets. There is nothing wrong with owning guns. Protecting your self, home, and loved ones is normal. The one thing I didn't like to see was how you described your looks. It is not something you apologize for in a profile. Maybe you are insecure with your looks since you have gotten older and that is why you feel you have to use the extensive vocabulary. There are plenty of women out there your age that are going to know you look good. Plus you keep in shape. Try to relax a bit and let women see what they are missing out on. Make them laugh. The number one thing women want today is a man that can make her laugh. Get past the first couple dates before you start talking about all the workings of the world.
 desert wildflower
Msg: 103
Posted: 6/18/2009 1:43:18 PM
If he thinks he looks so bad, why does he want people to rate his looks? I smell a really big fish on that one. Fishing for compliments is more like it. And some posters fall for it. That is the plan, oh citizens of Babylon.
 Brunette Girl 425
Msg: 104
Posted: 6/18/2009 2:41:04 PM

That is the plan, oh citizens of Babylon.

desert wildflower
Msg: 105
Posted: 6/18/2009 3:30:17 PM
Now where oh where did our all emcompassing, ever illuminating, fearless OP go?????
Anyone seen him? Everyone , please check under your desks!!!!!!!!! We NEED to find him or this whole thread might die out, and what a shame that would be. We need a little lighter fluid OP, and only you have what we need. PLEAZZZEE, COME BACK, WE MISS YOU!!!!!!!! We`ll be good. Promise!

maybe.

I just checked, he really is hiding!!!!!!!!!!!! I`m sorry OP.
 AmeliaMD
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2009 3:41:13 PM
You could possibly just be an ***hole and not know it.
 iTsMeJuLi
Msg: 107
Posted: 6/18/2009 3:45:13 PM

No, you don't threaten my ego at all. And I sure will threaten your ego when I let you know that I don't like pompous, arrogant, self-centered men.

See, there are people in this world who think more about themselves than others. They go out on a date and only talk about themselves, showing no interest whatsoever in whom they are out with. Being on a date with a man like that is like being on a date by yourself, there's no interaction. Just a talking head sitting across the table and all I'm thinking about it is how to get the heck out of there.

I had to sneak out the back door of a bar one night when out with a guy like that LOL
 thelonelydude
Msg: 108
Posted: 6/18/2009 4:20:25 PM
Dude - I have a much simpler problem for you to ponder:

What's the density in qaurk diameters of a singlefold qauntum spatial hypersurface with dimensions T = INFINITY as X approaches zero, LOL

Also, Who killed Jimmy Hoffa, Who was the shooter on the Grassy Knoll, and why is a good lookin devil like me still single.
 TopChuck
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2009 6:51:54 PM
desert wildflower wrote:

I just checked, he really is hiding!!!!!!!!!!!! I`m sorry OP.

Well, one thing about which I'm somewhat certain; he didn't take the advice I posted in Msge 73 and 98.

What's the density in qaurk diameters of a singlefold qauntum spatial hypersurface with dimensions T = INFINITY as X approaches zero, LOL

Don't fall for it OP. It's a trick question. Defining T as infinity throws the process into absurdity, unless you answer in terms of string theory, using 11 dimensions and the possibility of multiverses, in close proximity. And, even doing that the answer is "nebulous" (pun intended), because of the inability to completely support the math in the string theory.

While it may be popular to pass over the subjectivity of string theory, it may go out of vogue in just a few years, with the use of data from the Large Hadron Collider.

Sigh.
 Zowie67
Msg: 110
Posted: 6/19/2009 2:03:32 AM
There is a seemingly cheesy website called something like "Double Your Dating" or some such by a man whose name I can't remember but I was drawn in by what I assumed would be meaningless psychobabble drivel designed to fleece the masses.

(I qualify for MENSA but never joined because I assume it was beneath me - see, I have your "I'm too different" problem in spades and talking to most people is a HUGE exercise in patience for me while I wait for them to catch up with most things. But I digress...)

Anyway, this "cheesy" fleecer turned out to be, instead, remarkably brilliant regarding women. Suddenly, I understood why I fail to be impressed by most men and it actually has little to do with a general lack of exceptional intelligence in the general population. It has to do with the fact that men don't understand our "cavewoman" brain because modern culture (in this country, especially) has sort of socialized that training out and so men don't understand how to attract women.

So, my suggestion is to get these guy's books and read them, learn them, and use them. I think that you can download them for free and return in 30 days or something like that. Many women will be happy that you did. Because, trust me, we get tired of going out with guys who don't turn us on at all, and it has nothing to do with looks. (In fact, if you research it, you will discover that there is no link in a woman's brain between her visual cortex and her sexual response. In men, it is there. In women, it is not.) And, the men who have been the sexiest and most appealing to me in life have rarely been the smartest, or even the most accomplished. They were simply the men who knew how to trigger that "cavewoman" base sexual and attraction response in me.

Best of luck to you!
 giroditalia
Msg: 111
Posted: 6/19/2009 5:23:09 AM
Thank you, Zowie67 for addressing the posted question, and not attacking the poster who posted the question. On most sites with an adult audience, postings that personally attack the OP in a vicious manner and justify the attack as "tough love", instead of addressing the issue he presented (no--the two are NOT identical) are usually deleted by a mod, and the poster is warned to desist or risk suspension or banishment. Doesn't look like POF works that way. On this thread at least, it seems the "inmates" have taken out a lease with option to buy on the "asylum", and the mods are asleep at the switch.
 apainlessend
Msg: 112
Posted: 6/19/2009 6:54:27 AM
90% of the populace follow trends/fads (Think of fish flowing down the river)

5% that are really different/complicated usually become famous.

5% are just plain crazy.

Without the 10% that are really different & crazy life would be really boring.

Hey lets follow him, he seems 'in'

Op. in order for your post to hold weight, you would have to first assume that all woman "function on several levels at once and frequently rework at lot of their communications and viewpoints and preferences as they go along because they become aware of connections and relatedness between topics and experiences that may not be so quickly visible to others"

And this is not the truth of MOST people, as the prior quote breaks down our populace, with tongue in cheek mind you, fairly accurately.

1. If you have to point out how quick witted you are, and follow it with how invisible the most pathetically obvious patterns are to the ignorant masses then....(I assume you see where I am going.)

2. Some women do not have to rework their thought patterning because they get it right the first time...as it were.

3. I am a bit confused at how you've allowed yourself a cornucopias amount of attributes, without an unbiased 3rd party's opinion (Albeit, I am sure many people have told you you are soooooo smart.) as to whether any of it is validated. Considering your original post has far to many variables/openings, (And I assure you I am the god of untied shoes.) I can't read it without assuming this is nothing more than an ego bloated second personal ad that I maybe taking out of context.

Having a steadfast wit, is simply that. It has nothing to do with being a "Renaissance man."

~The Boy Anachronism
( A.K.A. Last of the Bourgeois Bohemian)

p.s.
I am no better than you. Put the gun away.

I am going to assume you mean Quark
And Quantum

And what is "x"? Assign a constant to it. like C<--the speed of light and I may answer.
Problem is...the speed of light isn't going to approach zero. It's non sequitur.

Question: "Why did the chicken cross the road?"
Answer: Banana.

Thank you, Zowie67 for addressing the posted question, and not attacking the poster who posted the question. On most sites with an adult audience, postings that personally attack the OP in a vicious manner and justify the attack as "tough love", instead of addressing the issue he presented (no--the two are NOT identical) are usually deleted by a mod, and the poster is warned to desist or risk suspension or banishment. Doesn't look like POF works that way. On this thread at least, it seems the "inmates" have taken out a lease with option to buy on the "asylum", and the mods are asleep at the switch.

**slaps forehead.
I've seen this site for all it's shortcomings, yet I am still here.
Why? Because the people here aren't bad, some are misguided.
And if you were a tenth as intelligent as you claim to be:

1. You wouldnt lump most sites together based on the ramblings of a few.
2. Create posts, that assumes anything about a gender when a Renaissance man would know that women are our complete equals

It sounds to me, that perhaps you aren't properly adjusted to having your depth challenged.

Which is likely why this misogynist, bs post about women popped up in the first place.
The same logic you are applying to women being threatened appears to be the EXACT same logic that is backing you into a corner.

Now that I know that, I hope to god someone does challenge you and point out your contradictions here. I hope to see what you are really made of. (When I'm bored.)

Also. "Asylum"? Inmates?

1. to even use a double quote there, someone else would have had to first referred to this place as the asylum, and the people as inmates. More arrogance without content.

2. Perhaps you came here assuming most of the people to be ignorant, thinking you could assert your dominance? Nah, I am giving you far too much credit.

Alas, I am far to lazy to contribute further kiddo. Peace be with you.

OutMind
Msg: 113
Posted: 6/19/2009 7:12:26 AM

Many women will be happy that you did. Because, trust me, we get tired of going out with guys who don't turn us on at all, and it has nothing to do with looks. (In fact, if you research it, you will discover that there is no link in a woman's brain between her visual cortex and her sexual response.

Am I reading correctly? A woman actually recommending these materials?

Bravo!!!
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2009 7:42:57 AM
I'm complicated too, but I don't announce it and I don't inflict it on others unless they purposely seek it out...I strive to make life as simple as possible outside my own head.

Maybe they are ok with you being complicated as long as it's not a hassle and you keep it to yourself?
 apainlessend
Msg: 115
Posted: 6/19/2009 11:40:42 AM

I'm complicated too, but I don't announce it and I don't inflict it on others unless they purposely seek it out...I strive to make life as simple as possible outside my own head.

Maybe they are ok with you being complicated as long as it's not a hassle and you keep it to yourself?

I learned the hard way that your woman is always right even when she is wrong.
Sigh.
 Ameerra
Msg: 116
Posted: 6/19/2009 12:30:44 PM

Being intelligent, articulate, intellectual, and open minded will make you unsuitable for a relationship with the majority of people you meet, because these traits are not widely found and when absent preclude enjoyable conversation. It's made more difficult by expecting that those traits are available through provocation, as if some extra work digging would uncover them; they are just not there. Also, for people whose thinking is original there is less of ready common ground to meet on outside art and academia. Popular culture is broad but relatively basic. You'll find millions who recognize a slogan from a TV commercial, and maybe twelve or so who catch your meaning when you borrow a phrase from a novel they have never heard of. It's kind of naive to plop yourself down at the corner bar and expect your neighbors to join you in discussing esoteric concepts. Relating well takes successful conveyance of meanings, so to speak well with someone you should find and use whatever they understand, and then if you want to bother with conversations that leave out what matters to you, it's a pastime but not a good way to develop a relationship that can satisfy you.

This is so deep and has soooo much truth. Thank you for articulating it so well.
 dancecard
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2009 7:29:15 PM
Okay, let face it ~ the world cram packed with complicated people!

and I'm glad! aren't we Wilbur? ~ "Wwelll course we are D ick" who's gonna write dialog for a talking horse?

and why did Van Gogh think his girl friend might like his ear as a present, ~ I guess she was hard to buy for.

And this Rubix Cube guy ~ can you imagine how many people he's annoyed?

Intimidated ? ~~ amazed is more like it. Truly amazed!

Intimidated is staring straight up at some of Micheal Angelo's work.

Dance
 whitefether
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2009 7:32:27 PM
Maybe it is not a complicated personality, but rather, a short attention span! LOL!

Whitefeather
 waterwatereverywhere
Msg: 119
Posted: 6/19/2009 7:34:49 PM
Aha! This has been my life :-O. I make no apologies for it, and I LOVE when I meet someone else that way. The underlying theme I laid down for my life at a very early age, and consciously so, was to never have lived a boring life. Like one girl said, big diff between being unstable, and just 'following one's own path'.
 dancecard
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2009 7:58:43 PM

Like one girl said, big diff between being unstable, and just 'following one's own path'.
~ that mean something only if spoken between equals.

If this path leads you to poverty and you seek a "bail out" or " leg up" or a "hand out"

by the sheer virtue of need. For I have many and you have none ~ I'd say Mr. Grasshopper you must learn to prepare for tomorrow success today, so might best to just hop away.

I think it's my job to serve , I can only sever when I am strong and have it give, this is my complicated path. The path I chose is not the easy of the two. To be a giver, but it is the path with heart.

Dance
 Vannili
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2009 2:31:04 AM

Also Who killed Jimmy Hoffa,who was the shooter on the GrassyKnoll,and why is a good lookin devil like me still single.

I don't care who killed Jimmy Hoppa and I hate guns so I don't know the shooting of Grassy Knoll and I have better things to do. What I am so worried is why a good looking like you is still single ? tsk,tsk,tsk, is it not obvious good christian women don't want to do anything with you because you are too hot to handle and they don't want to live in your hometown Hell?
 crazylilting
Msg: 122
Posted: 6/20/2009 3:29:14 AM
What exactly makes someone's personality complicated?

I assume you have a personality? whats complicated about that?
I would look into enneagram institute http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/

It will help you understand personality typing with the dimension of levels of health within each type. I doubt you are complicated at all, i don't' think anyone is complicated. There are those who want to appear complicated though and that is just plain annoying.

From what you have written so far I would peg you as an challenger with a bit of maverick on the side with a level three health. but that is with the very limited information provided here. I think it is $10 to take the exam to find out your type and there is a lot of information on the site you might find helpful.
 Dumpling-Girl
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2009 3:40:38 AM
My guess it that you probably just come off as a bit uppity and conceited, and that it has nothing to do with your "complicated personality." You post suggests that you may sound condescending and full of yourself, which is generally unattractive. Confidence in your abilities and a strong sense of self are good things, but there is a way to do that without appearing that you think you're better than everyone else. Showing your appreciation of other people's talents, ideas, and abilities more often than showing off your own is a better strategy in dating.
 WeAre1
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2009 3:52:25 AM
my thoughts and impressions.....there are many intelligent people everywhere and the exterior does not indicate the level of interesting aspects within....
no, a man with a complicated or interesting personality does not threaten me...unless part of the issue is one who's ego can not handle a complicated woman. :)
i have found intelligent and interesting people here...but perhaps that is because i am not meeting anyone i have not first discovered if they have a similar level of intelligence as me.
i do not believe it has anything to do with ego, except for an observation a close friend recently shared with me....they felt that the more alike two people are,
the more alike their egos are also and so if there is disagreement, it can be much more challenging...
leading me to agree and also to think likewise if there is agreement, that too can be heightened.
ideally, for me, would be one with a high level of self observation and awareness of how their mind, heart, body, essence and ego operate...and to be moving in that direction, often it seems to be the more 'complex' person, whether male or female.....
though, honestly, in my life i have found people in general to be more alike than different.
 13karat
Msg: 125
Posted: 6/20/2009 4:37:40 AM

Intimidated is staring straight up at some of Micheal Angelo's work.

Dance, you are assuming that people are familiar with Michelangelo's work.... Now I have to wipe the coffee off the screen....

I learned something really interesting the other day... and I think it fits well with this whole online dating thing.... and this thread is a good one for it.

In anything we do in life you will get the following results:
30% will be GREAT!
30% will be Good
30% will be Not So Good
10% will be Just Plain Weird
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Does a man with a complicated personality threaten a woman's ego?