Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > US. vs Spain: Confederations Cup      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 frankster_p
Msg: 22
US. vs Spain: Confederations CupPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Champion of each confedration.
Plus the reigning world champion and host.
I think thats how it goes.
Its ok, a lot of fans say they dont watch it or care about it though.

Anyway Seth Efrica are really taking it up to the Brazilians.
Another upset could be on the cards.
 Shadow67733
Msg: 23
US. vs Spain: Confederations Cup
Posted: 6/25/2009 6:36:36 PM
Well sadly no matter what happens, even if US managed to win a world cup(which will not happen in my lifetime) it will do nothing to lift soccer in the US. Yes all of our schools have soccer programs from middle to high school and all our colleges but its just not a dominant marketable sport here like football and the other heavy hitters. While I do think soccer is the worlds sport in terms of worldwide popularity its not the US's choice in sport as we just have so many. Do some americans watch it?.. Sure especially every time the world cup comes around. Fans?.. not many. I am only a fan by growing up in a soccer family(must be the italian blood) where we all played for years so I love watching and playing but that just not so for most American families.
 ISCVE
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2009 7:17:01 PM
I really can't believe that was Spain playing, aliens went to their hotel rooms at night and kidnapped them and then took their place, that's the only way I can manage to wrap my head around this result.

Can't believe how shitty Spain played, but the US played to their strengths (which aren't many, so I'm even more surprised).
 sum1reel
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/25/2009 7:26:45 PM
@Shadow

part of what you say is true...but not all of it!..........granted, it will take soccer a long time to reach "major" league proportions given the crowded sports market that exists in the US, but if you look at history (going back 30 years, approx 1975), soccer has definitely made gains in this country in many respects......so the growth of the sport cannot be measured in a year or even 5 years...it must be measured in decades!

Well sadly no matter what happens, even if US managed to win a world cup(which will not happen in my lifetime) it will do nothing to lift soccer in the US.

...i agree!...if the US were to win the WC in 2010, the sports media in the US will probably give it 5 minutes of attention and most pple will say "see we won it, so its no big deal"...soccer in the US needs to be lifted by the inside....a game like US vs. Spain is a good example in which it creates lasting memories and deep impressions on the youth!

its just not a dominant marketable sport here like football and the other heavy hitters.

you are right and part of the reason is that the MLS is marketing it wrong!...they are trying to establish small foundations of dedicated fans in each town they have a team in instead of trying to convert followers of other sports...while i understand the reasons, doing it like this may take longer for the sport to get into the mainstream.

Do some americans watch it?.. Sure especially every time the world cup comes around. Fans?.. not many.

Not exactly, there are more 'fans' now that there have ever been decades ago......in the past 25 years, many more young pple have played it and unlike previous generations, they know what they are watching when they see it being played on TV.....the reason that there is more interest at WC time is because that is when we see the best teams in action. In the MLS, we see 3rd rate soccer being played by most of the teams, and most fans know that!....so you not see too many pple show up at games........if we were able to attract big name players in their prime, i would bet that the level of interest would go up considerably.

At this rate, it will take another 50 years for the sport here to reach levels near that of most european countries....and there will be set-backs as well as steps forward in between ........from what i've seen, there will be growth, but the pace will be very slow!
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > US. vs Spain: Confederations Cup