Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Bad experience with pets      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 macMcC
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Bad experience with petsPage 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Since I rescue animals they are jellous. They have them to them selves, and don't want to share. BUT [yes but] you have to gain thier trust. Then and only then will they except you.
 willothewhisper
Msg: 52
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/2/2009 12:07:31 AM
If my pets have a problem with somebody I'm definitely going to reconsider my view of them. Far as the cat tho, don't take it personally, that wasn't about you personally, it was about your displacing the cat.
The dog? That's weird.
Now horses? Wear goggles. Their 'stuff' is eye level with you.
 TryAgan
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/2/2009 1:15:16 AM
Much worse things can happen. Talk about dumb/irresponsible pet owners - from the latest news (July 1):

A pet Burmese python measuring more than 8 feet long broke out of a terrarium and strangled a 2-year-old girl in her bedroom Wednesday at a central Florida home.
 Isabella_the_Lost
Msg: 54
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/2/2009 9:56:56 AM
Tryagain... that's certainly a classic case of irresponsible pet owners, all right. People can be breathtakingly stupid when it comes to having an animal in their home. Many get a snake or other exotic animal ONLY because they're "cool," or a particular breed of dog without researching FIRST on what to expect of that dog or how to train him/her, what that particular breed requires, etc.

It starts with irresponsibility, and often ends tragically for the animal. Most people shouldn't have plants in their care, much less a living, breathing life.

Animals don't think like humans, but humans (many of them) expect them to.
 moraima
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/2/2009 10:21:38 AM
"Animals don't think like humans, but humans (many of them) expect them to. "

It would be a good step forward in human/animal safety if people just learned that animals don't think like people and never will. Just shows that people shouldn't own animals if they don't know that fact.

ps Dog training is more about training humans than training the dog. It teaches people how dogs think etc.
 TopFind
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/2/2009 1:06:55 PM
^^^^^
Try to tell that to most of the women who think that their pets are in reality “little people” who understand their babytalk, need to sleep with them, and like chocolate bonbons. No wonder we get pissed off and pissed on – see OP.
 moraima
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/2/2009 1:22:33 PM
"Try to tell that to most of the women who think that their pets are in reality “little people” who understand their babytalk, need to sleep with them, and like chocolate bonbons. No wonder we get pissed off and pissed on – see OP."

I tell that to my clients (male and female) on a regular basis.

You decide who you date. If you date them, the issue is with the women you pick.
 Isabella_the_Lost
Msg: 58
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/2/2009 1:25:10 PM

ps Dog training is more about training humans than training the dog. It teaches people how dogs think etc.

Exactly!
 TopFind
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/2/2009 1:33:18 PM
^^^^^
Fully agree with both posts above. But you are telling this to the wrong person. I'm just a messenger (and sometimes an innocent victim).

Spread the word in the Venus world.
 Isabella_the_Lost
Msg: 60
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/2/2009 1:37:14 PM
Sorry topfind. I wans't directing that so much at one person as to folks in general. My apologies if I offended. :)
 TopFind
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/2/2009 1:44:09 PM
^^^^^
Apologies accepted. And thank you for all good advice.
I'll print out all your constructive emails and carry them with with me for distribution to general public on all my future trips.
 moraima
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/2/2009 1:59:57 PM
"Spread the word in the Venus world."

I am an equal opportunity spreader of the word..............both fluffy headed men and women dislike me, while people who see the light think I walk on water.
 Passionate Gent
Msg: 63
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/2/2009 2:38:22 PM
Some people are flippin looney if they advocate animals can think.

Only humans learn and accumulate knowledge , and make use of our perceptions to conduct deductive reasoning, followed by the rational ability to THINK.

Animals don't make well thought out decisions, nor have they the ability to "reflect" on their behavior or prior decisions.

Another A..B..S..U..R..D theory.

With dog training, bad habits are removed and dogs have better control of their feelings and behavior towards environmental and social variables. Dog training can prevent aggressive reactions and even biting accidents. TRAINING is for the dog, it's still an animal, and training seeks to diminish the possibility of dog bites, to it's owner and to strangers. It's called "obedience" training for a reason. The human is not the one who needs obedience in dog training.
 Janet4ever
Msg: 64
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/2/2009 3:19:43 PM

Animals don't make well thought out decisions, nor have they the ability to "reflect" on their behavior or prior decisions.

In order to train an animal, they must have the ability to "reflect" on their prior behavior and the resulting consequences.

The human is not the one who needs obedience in dog training.

Third party training is not that effective if the owner of the dog does not know how to give the proper commands, maintain control, praise and discipline when necessary.
 Passionate Gent
Msg: 65
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/2/2009 4:06:54 PM
Don't be silly.

Positive reinforcement that produces repetition of behavior is induced by their instinctual nervous system, no thinking neccessary.

I'm sure your dog would agree with me.... "I will let my dog lick your face, sniff your butt and report back to me"
 SueCat51
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/2/2009 4:56:02 PM
I've probably had more bad experiences with ill behaved children than pets. I did go out with one guy - his Weenie dog peed in his bed. Ugh! My cats don't sleep with me. Why? Because when I sleep, they want to play. I really prefer no pets with me in bed.
 ALilMsChevious
Msg: 67
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/2/2009 6:03:58 PM
Cats love to let you know they don't like what you did....so they will pee on the area that is most important that you will notice. I have 2 male cats, fixed, and both are big babies. They both sleep with me but Rascal is most attached to me and the alpha cat of the two.

If someone new comes in to my life it's best they make friends and Rascal understands that this new person is not taking his place but adding to mine. He will come on the bed and expect to be petted ...and he is...and he purrs, but he also knows enough to lay on the edge of the bed even if he doesn't want to.

I have found him moving his way back in ...the middle...with purrs and kneeding once things are quiet or in the morning. He gets petted and then politely put on the floor or moved. Usually things are ok then. As long as he gets attention too, he's fine. He's used to being the MAN in my life but will not give up the attention from both of us LOL!! That's ok... I don't mind sharing attention or petting! hahahaa
 The Magician
Msg: 68
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/2/2009 6:16:23 PM

The human is not the one who needs obedience in dog training.

Quite wrong, as you so eloquently stated in your next post.

Positive reinforcement that produces repetition of behavior.....

If the pet owner is not capable, or unwilling, to continue the process of positive reinforcement, then any third party training is going out the window in short time. If the owner is unwilling or too dim witted to realize the process of positive reinforcement, then training has not yet begun.

It all begins with a responsible adult trainer/owner/human who has learned how to become the best friend of the pet. That means that the human is required to be more trained than the animal.
 ny_lady_13601
Msg: 69
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/2/2009 6:53:39 PM
I have 2 siamese cats and one of them likes to check out the new person after a few visits by simply sniffing around them and walking across their laps when we're sitting down. With that I can also check to see if my date is receptive towards my "child" or if he simply ignores my pet (meaning he's not an animal/pet person). My pets are more well behaved then some peoples "human" kids.

As far as horses go, stallions, and young stallions at that can be a bit uppity, so to speak and tend to need a strong & firm hand in control but not to be bullied, that can only get you into a fight that you could lose in a big way. Horses are large and need to be respected. If you've never been around them before, make it known to your friend and she should take the time to discuss them with you and introduce you to them slowly. Watch the interaction, you can tell a lot about people when they have pets.

A good pet will be well behaved and won't have people issues like you experienced before. I have had all sorts of pets and have never had a dog or cat that peed on anything or anywhere then in their litterbox or outside.
 Passionate Gent
Msg: 70
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/2/2009 9:45:17 PM
That means that the human is required to be more trained than the animal.

So who is training the human? The Dog?

It might at least look better, if you state the human is making "adjustments" in
the training of their dog. But if you believe your dog trained you, I wont argue with you.

I trained my dog, and I'm quite sure he has not trained me to do any tricks yet.

Rob_SA
Msg: 71
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/3/2009 1:54:24 AM
If we domesticate a species we have to take responsibility for the outcomes. I choose to have two border collies, so it's up to me to feed and care for them, provide them with shelter, and most importantly to train and control them. Yes, anyone new gets introduced to the dogs and the dogs they fit in... at the bottom. I don't let any kids play with the dogs unsupervised, but even in a supervised situation the dogs have to know they're bottom of the power chain. Even a friend's two and a half year old daughter helps by telling the dogs to sit and drop before they can come up for a pat or play fetch, and if the dogs get too excited she tells them to sit and drop again. I love the dogs to bits, but they're companion animals, not surrogate humans. People tell me I'm good with animals, but all I do is gently but firmly let the animal know their place in the heirarchy and treat the animal with a firm but kind hand.

I'm sure guys have come into a household where the heirarchy is pets, then kids, then Mum, especially if the pets are a pack of cats.
 serenityCW
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/3/2009 1:57:31 AM
assuming you are "not" a golden shower queen, ahem:

your luggage may have a marker from a prior pet,

they are sensing you as a threat, or your fear or dominance is worrying them,

never leave your suitcase on the floor,

for cats, and i believe dogs as well, get plug in pheremone mist to be changed monthly--stops spraying and also good for sick pets.

if the horse pees on you, get a life jacket.

in nyc, we had an expression that someone was a "pisser". maybe you are just innately funny? and the animals are responding "literally".

hey OP, at least you are getting out. and into the bed, not the couch. sure you didn't stage this deliberately?
 moraima
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/3/2009 6:13:12 AM
"So who is training the human? The Dog?"

Hopefully the human is being trained by someone who has spent years of the lives getting education on the subject of dog training.

Dr. Ian Dunbar and his wife spent 40 years studying dog behaviour at Burkley. His lectures taught me that that I had wondered about for years but couldn't figure out for myself.

There are educated dog trainers and some not so educated ones. Best to check out the trainer before signing up. I have never seen one case of a dog(s) being sent off for training then returned to the owner work. Why because once the dog gets home no one gives him the right commands.
 dysfunction_junction
Msg: 74
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/3/2009 6:17:52 AM
I have never seen one case of a dog(s) being sent off for training then returned to the owner work. Why because once the dog gets home no one gives him the right commands.

you got that right moraima! i used to train dogs professionally. i gave it up. do you know why? because dogs are EASY to train but the owners are an *entirely* different matter. way too frustrating for me, to have them come whining on the phone and i find out they have ruined all my good work thru just plain carelessness & frequent stupidity. here's a clue: ya gotta be smarter than the dog. gah!

@#63: obviously you have no experience training animals. yes, they can think. they can even count. and they have all the emotional experiences that human beings have, it's just a lot less sophisticated and is devoid of abstractions & bullshit. as a matter of fact, while i was sitting here typing this, one of my dogs just came up with her own idea -- absolutely no prompting from me -- and attempted to solve the problem through direct communication and control of her environment. but hey, as long as you want to believe that animals cannot think, then please, don't ever try training one. or even owning one. i and the dogs of the world thank you. thank you.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/3/2009 8:19:14 AM
The one good thing about working with dogs and understanding their psychology and how they operate is that you can walk into just about any neighborhood, park, yard or home and have more influence over a dog than their owner does many times. So while on the training end it's frustrating - on the social end it's a whole new world.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Bad experience with pets