Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Imopressive / Memorable Technology      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 warmhanded
Msg: 26
Imopressive / Memorable TechnologyPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I started thinking about how jaded we've become because of technology and instant news.

We've discovered dozens of planets in other solar systems. The world yawns.
 cape2islanda
Msg: 27
Imopressive / Memorable Technology
Posted: 7/9/2009 6:40:25 PM
I've been in the tech field for a long time, and over the years, there is always some new, cool thing that I like. Lately, I am thrilled with a new, thin-client access device. The size of a couple of decks of cards, I attach it to the back of a monitor, plug in keyboard, monitor and mouse to the access device, plug access device into a computer (along with 4 - 8 other access devices with their own keyboards, mice and monitors) and voila --- nine computer users, ONE computer. Pretty cool stuff, 1 watt of power consumption per unit. Not shabby at all.
 Moooocow
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/9/2009 7:15:31 PM
As CassaGo says

Specifically, video chat type stuff. And the fact that it's so cheap now--everyone can own it.

Skype, VOIP, free video conferencing around the world. The technology of video phones interested me since I was a child, watching the Jetsons. Of all the technologies on that show, robots, flying folding vehicles, jetpacks, meal pills, dress/clothing selectors, pretty much only the video conferencing actually has taken place.

Being able to talk to your kids/family/relatives who are in different parts of the country or those students who are travelling in different countries and view them , for free. Now that's a great deal and brings you closer to your kids when they need a .

I remember waiting around the telephone at Christmas for my parents to try and hook up with their family overseas so we could all have a chat with the relatives across the pond. Sometimes it worked and other not so much. Usually the Overseas operator who had to work Christmas day ended up dropping our call.
 TryAgan
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2009 7:26:00 PM
Actually, the one item which I appreciate most and every day, is my credit card.
Amazing piece of technology. Just shudder to think what my ex was able to do with it.
 MondoVman
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2009 8:08:39 PM
The giant leap from punched cards to hardcopy terminals: Press the backspace key once for each mistype. Picture this: I spent 3 hours in my first session at UofA, Tucson, AZ on a hardcopy terminal to enter and debug that week's programming assignment. Feeling good and a bit smug, I asked my good friend "Shoe-B" (one of the very few, elite, system gurus), "What do I need to do to save my work?" He replied, "Hit control-C twice." So I did. The computer system obediantly deleted all my work!
 MichelleWAStateUSA
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Impressive / Memorable Technology
Posted: 7/9/2009 8:52:54 PM

How about those medical machines where the doctor performs an operation while in a different location.......don't think I am ready to be the patient yet, though.

The heck with the surgeon being in a remote location... given my druthers, I'll wait 'til they've got that technology really perfected -- when the PATIENT doesn't have to be there for the surgery.

-- Michelle
 TryAgan
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2009 4:04:33 AM
Digesting all the interesting and stimulating posts in this discussion, I came up with an idea for a new product – Pilotless Stimulator or Drone Vibrator. The secret code name is Dronator, but when we get to the marketing stage, it will be changed to Creeping Charlie.

Here are the preliminary specs:
A built-in pheromone sniffer will cycle in periodic intervals to monitor the arousals levels of the Dronator’s human master. When the predetermined arousal level is reached, the Dronator will initiate the foreplay phase and commence its movement in a sensual, slithering fashion, strictly adhering to pre-programmed route on the exposed body of the said human participant. Depending on the sex of said media, the device can switch between the penetration (P-mode) and wrap-around (W-mode) methods. To aid the forward motion, small jets on Dronator’s underbody will emit a pleasantly smelling lubricant, typically consisting of a lotion crème, vera aloa extract, and depending on the current mode of operation, a trace of some hot smelling men’s cologne or Chanel No 5 perfume.

Upon reaching the ultimate destination of its pre-programmed route (which, by the way, can be speeded up by clapping twice or rewound and repeated by whistling “When The Saints Go Marching In”), the Dronator will get into the Real McCoy mode and keep up at it until it detects the exhaustion or climax. The vibration frequency can be varied between 10 and 9600 bites per second. At the climax time, a volumetric control will measure the outflow of the liquid matter, and a little built-in Richter scale records the frequency and intensity of the spasms. The miniature laser light traps will capture the diluted pupil size, and the ultra-sensitive microphone will measure the scream decibel levels. The mass spectrograph could sort all expletives and endearments output during this exercise and order them alphabetically. All this information is stored in an internal database and can be used for printing out of the cumulative and comparative results or for instantaneous emailing to your doctor or to your friends. The whole episode is captured by the miniature camera in HD on DVD for a replay at Christmas time and can be optionally edited on your POF computer or IPhone.

Of course, the control-override option allows to pass the controls to a partner in a remote location, and the thin-client access device makes it possible for simultaneous stimulation by up to 9 users.

Coupled with GPS and a quartz clock, valuable statistics can be obtained and correlated as to the most exciting travel/geographic locations and optimal time of the day. Aggregated into national databases, and cross-referenced with the supermarket specials at a given time, the stats can be drilled down into the age groups, ethnicities, and type of diets. Possibilities are, indeed, limitless.

All orders for the Creeping Charlie, received before December 2009, will be eligible for 10% discount. Early prototypes available for testing by selected POF volunteers.
 Phoebe48
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2009 5:12:38 AM
^^^^^OMG..........you've made my ribs hurt!!!!

I was watching a TV program last night..........They're inventing new technology that can determine when someone is lying on dating sites. I can't wait 'til they perfect that baby!

Maybe, this new device could work with your Creeping Charlie...........and people could have a two for one special??.
 Twisted Sister
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/10/2009 6:58:02 AM
For me, it is the computer. I learned to type on an old standard Underwood typewriter (resulting in bruised fingers many times) and have now progressed to a magical computer which enables me to do all my work and talk to people simultaneously, download photos from my camera and send them to my family minutes after taking them, post photos ....... This medium has allowed me to find people I thought were lost to me forever.
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2009 7:10:31 AM
Perhaps it's not technology as such, though technology aided in creating them.

I'd say antibiotics and immunizations. They have made a greater difference in more peoples' lives than anything else, by preventing disease, disability, and death. Most other technology is stuff we could live without.
 Phoebe48
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2009 7:28:35 AM
Most other technology is stuff we could live without.

Uh Uh...........There's no way I'm giving up the remote control.............and probably why I'm still single.................................and have to type all these dots.....................'cause my message is too short....................................................
 scottoliver
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2009 7:32:39 AM
When I was younger Caculator's, Golly Seems they cost like $ 200 or so.

Now Cell Phones I mean Really has amazed and delighted me. My job takes me out of the Office a bit and to have the ablity to talk to other's from most locations, View websites, Take and send pictures is for me priceless.

Seems to me the Space travel has fallen way behind. Not being a scientist but watching it seems that the Space shuttle only going a couple hundred miles up even though its quite a feat in itself is such a small step since we've already been to the Moon. Really seems that we should have traveled to mars or having made it to light speed.
 scottdehart
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2009 8:32:37 AM
Ah, we are living in the future. And it's not exactly what we'd thought it would be. ( I could do pages on what we thought was coming and what has actually appeared.)

Intergrated circuits. (I think I spelled that wright )

When it first came out it was huge! Computers made from it were the size of buildings! (Which is how "bugs in the program" came about, but that a whole different story.)

Now they are soooo small. They're in your phones, your ipods, your computer and more things than you even know. To me, they are the keystone that makes our technological culture.

So, to me, that is the most facinating tech.
 wranglerdale
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/10/2009 9:12:47 AM
I'm going to go way back to 1969.

The fact that NASA was able to fly a successful mission to the moon, land and return safely with no more computing power than the average desktop user has now, still has me shaking my head with wonderment as to how they were able to do that!
 sweetlilgal2009
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/10/2009 10:19:40 AM
Nice topic, TK!

My technology pedigree includes: Vydek word processer (used 8" floppy disks, one page per track. If you needed to access a page stored on the 2nd side, you took it out of the drive and flipped it over!)

IBM PC with a whopping 640K of memory, two floppy drives (no hard drive) with a RAM drive for loading WordStar, Lotus 1-2-3, etc. Good times!

IBM 4341 mainframe with a whopping 8MB of memory. I wrote list processing code in Assembler for years. Ah! The joys of fixed length records. Hard to find a job after doing that in my little neck of the woods. Went back to school, as a matter of fact. With the changes going on in computing, I decided to study math instead. As a student I worked for an ISP back when everyone was on dial-up. All those little local ISPs are pretty much gone now, I think. But those were good times too!

Now I'm fascinated with remote sensing, and the ability to "see" objects on earth from satellites (think of Tommy Lee Jones' character in Men in Black, spying on his old flame). My father worked on satellites back in the late 60s and early 70s, so I feel like I've come full circle. Try not to think of "spy cam" applications here, but rather of applications for researching climate change, environmental concerns, etc. My particular interest is in ocean remote sensing. I want to spy on coral reefs, not people!
 sk1960
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/10/2009 10:36:07 AM
Blackberries, Iphones.... being able to keep in touch with this little tiny device - sending emails, pics pretty much no matter where you are ...... I find it incredible - do I think its something you can't live with out? no.... in fact often wish they would be banned .... the technology we are creating and the "connections" we are able to make are eliminating the need to interact face to face ...... younger peoples ability to talk to each other is lessening ..... and us older folks are being sucked in too.

Of course here I am on a computer - talking to people I don't really know .... but..... its not that often and I am mostly a face to face kind of person .... I take the extra time at work to call someone on the phone, or I drop by their desk ... and yep even sometimes take a road trip and visit in person when they are within driving distance .... like next week - I am going north to visit clients (I do this once a year) - takes me a week of driving from small community to another, but I get to talk to them face to face and find out what is happening with them .... not necessary, but very nice.

Fact is all of everything we have today is impressive and memorable - heck the flush toilet to me is a miracle (I grew up on a farm with a 2-holer, 50 plus feet from the house....) so the solution to my dilemna in all this is .... consider everything we have as a gift .... and don't take anything for granted.!!!!
 BeeGee56
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/10/2009 1:18:11 PM
The colour-corrected two-element glass optical lens.
How such a thing was devised without computer modelling, using a theory of light barely advanced beyond witchcraft, continues to amaze me.
Have a great weekend, all.
 Annielikeslyrics
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/10/2009 1:38:10 PM
IPOD!!!!! Dang....audio books, my ENTIRE CD collection, my photos, my calendar, my podcasts....hot dang I love this thing!
 moraima
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2009 2:02:09 PM
I love to go to the third world regulary. One of the benefits is just getting away from all the tech. stuff and living life at a much slower pace.
 kayleegirl
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/10/2009 6:18:48 PM
i think the technology behind panty hose and tampons is pretty impressive.........

from a woman's point of view

oh and birth control pills
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2009 9:58:15 AM
wranglerdale wrote:
I'm going to go way back to 1969.

The fact that NASA was able to fly a successful mission to the moon, land and return safely with no more computing power than the average desktop user has now, still has me shaking my head with wonderment as to how they were able to do that!

Actually, wd, the Apollo moon missions used DIP switches for computer interface and control, and had less computer power than an early 8088. The upgraded shuttle/orbiters used the equivalent of an i486 processor for control. [just tried to confirm my memory - the reference i was going to is down, oh well]

And, yes, I too am amazed at what they were able to do with the technology they had at the time.

TK
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2009 10:11:10 AM
Hey all, thanks for all the input, your memories are priceless.
I was thinking about this last night and I stated to go in the opposite direction. So far, most if not all that we had found impressive has been of the man-made technology stuff: ICs (particularly), computers, our phones, etc.

But what about the seemingly low tech stuff. Improvements in concrete to build bigger, better, stronger, and last longer. Improvements in metallurgy, or what got me onto this different track: bio-mimicry. What came to mind was the shark-skin swimsuits that made their appearance in the Athens summer olympics (2004) but were almost universal in Beijing 2008. Just a modification to the surface allowes the swimmer to glide through the water with less friction to go faster.

what other low tech improvements have others found impressive.

Improved tires, diapers (yeah, I know, pros and cons around their use), building materials, etc.

TK
{low tech, now there's something I can hold in my hand}
 Popeye52
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/11/2009 10:56:38 AM
The paper clip... is the most impressive technology on the planet. It works perfectly... the design is so simple it cannot be improved on (except to be made larger)... is cheap to produce and lasts practically forever.

We have a winner.
 zangie
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2009 11:50:51 AM
Hi Tech: the satellites and cameras for taking pictures in space; video phones ( always impressed me in The Jetsons and sci fi movies); the Haladron Collider, et al, for smashing atoms and looking for the as yet unknown particles; anything that allows us to understand the universe and space- like the Large Telescopes...GPS; Lasers..especially for surgeries; CGI

Low Tech: This may not be what you mean..but, I am really amazed at Bleach Sticks...lol..in fact, I may have been able to invent this on my own..I used to take a Q-Tip and dip it in bleach and use that...lol..I've always been a "gadget" person, especially kitchen gadgets...

Automatic Car Starters...

Microwaves...

Waterproof radios and watches...

Permanent Press...
 serenityCW
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2009 12:25:26 PM
aside from my majic jack (only $20 per year at most) to save on my long distance usa and canada phone bills, i am not much into technology. i remember the hi tech, hi touch predictions for medical care twenty years ago, as i was a strategic planner in that field. i find technological solutions to serious problems very interesting. but PERSONALLY, i'm high touch!

professionally speaking again, i am hopeful about much of the microbiology and genetic research and the use of technology to assist people who are paralyzed or need to target one organ with chemicals and try not to toxify the entire body. it is a good thing to know that genes are no longer considered the primary predictors of one's future health, as more emphasis is being placed upon "the body matrix".

i like that we are bypassing the pill and absorbing meds, hormones and anti aging treatments through the skin-- as opposed to swallowing them and damaging our mucousal linings. i'm happy about the newer, non invasive imaging possibilities and communications software to deal with medical ER's in isolated areas, etc.-- as well as the means to educate medical students, with methods other than torturing animals!

i run an indie film group out of my house and i have a very old, but large for it's time, TV. i say on our meetup annoucnement that if you are looking for a large and modern tv screen, this is not the "event" for you. if you are looking for good food and making friends and conversation (plus laughing your ass off) , then this is the meetup for you. it's pretty well attended, although the guys did help me find a better dvd player. that way the can show knock off's. for some reason, the old dvd player had more integrity!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Imopressive / Memorable Technology