Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > I am getting tired of meeting women with low self-esteem!!!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 fluff57
Msg: 126
I am getting tired of meeting women with low self-esteem!!!Page 6 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
She doesn't know how to communicate. Period.

Low selfesteem is the result of being brow beat, insulted, critized etc. All designed to make a person feel worthless. It's a terrible feeling.
 Roni L
Msg: 127
view profile
History
I am getting tired of meeting women with low self-esteem!!!
Posted: 1/24/2010 4:36:02 PM
Then don't date them then. Maybe your just too highly esteemed
 Arabianangel
Msg: 128
Posted: 1/24/2010 11:55:25 PM

Thank you Arabianangel
You have just explained one of the mysteries of life to me

Island Home…I’m glad I was able to be of service :)

Lacking another example, you are a lot more my type. I feel safe saying that since you have to assume I'm not asking for a date. You're in freaking Australia;-)

Revisitit….I’m many guys type….. only I can’t seem to find MY type …
 *Mustard*
Msg: 129
Posted: 1/25/2010 12:08:49 AM
Your mistake is going in the past. Rule never talk about your ex relationships until you have something stable to build from. Sure it comes up because we are human beings but that doesn't have to mean you have to show pics of an ex huge mistake brother. It's not a low self-esteem issue as much as you not taking her down that path. If they ask, you tell them you do it for me I like you I am attracted to you. We all want reassurance that we are attractive that doesn't mean she has low self-esteem issues. Low self-esteem issues is when she lets herself become a doormat and lets herself be used and doesn't have a backbone to say no to you about anything especially if your being a**** You just need to put the past behind you and not talk about your past GFs and don't ask about her BFs and talk about why you are attracted to her let her know that she is what you are into because she is. If she asks than say I made mistakes in the past so that I can do all the right things with you. Steer away from the past because you can't change what had happened and neither can she. If she had been treated poorly in the past it is what you do to let her know that now she is in a supportive relationship.

Also, it's not your job to put her together again if she's been wronged, you can be there to support her and get her through it but don't be that guy who puts together the "Broken Birds again" so that they can fly because that is self abuse brother.

Cheers,
 thistime05
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2010 5:22:36 PM
Actually it could be the AIM/text message disease in which no one can see or hear the other persons emotion when asked a certain question.

I stay away from AIM and texting as much as I can in the beginning, because it can cause misunderstood situations like this.

Don't talk on AIM when it regards questions like that...use the phone, if she brings it up on AIM tell her you feel more comfortable talking about these topics over the phone....or try and bail and talk to her some other time, hoping she won't ask again.
 eastendwoman
Msg: 131
Posted: 1/27/2010 9:03:34 AM
A lot of men don't get this. It could be she was giving you an opening to say all the reasons you think SHE IS YOUR TYPE. That's what she was hoping for. When you didn't bite, then she knew, YOU WEREN'T HER TYPE. Experience is the best teacher. Do better next time.
 gardentree
Msg: 132
Posted: 1/27/2010 9:49:46 AM
eastend - thats game playing and manipulative, its not suggestive of healthy esteem, quite contrary really.
Some guys do spot that - but if shes showing signs of thinking this passive agressive approach is a good way of doing things this early ... And some women wonder why early dates go well and then poof.
 Just_Jay79
Msg: 133
Posted: 1/27/2010 10:46:07 AM
Personally I believe everyone has moments of self-doubt / low self-esteem, but openly fishing for compliments or self-deprecation isn't sexy - keep that to yourself and your dating life will probably go a lot smoother.

If you train your eye enough, you can usually spot the potential "sore spots" on either men or women. When I first scan a girl I note any perceived imperfection and file it in the back of my mind for further observation on how she handles/hides it.

If I meet a lady that's openly self-deprecating I try to toss a compliment her way to cheer her up, but if it goes on deaf ears, she's out. I don't have the time nor the inclination to try and instill a sense of self-worth into someone - they need to do that on their own.

Also if the lady tosses out a blatant compliment fish hook (e.g. "These jeans make me look fat"), I simply agree with their self-deprecating statement and walk away (i.e. "Yeah they do at that, maybe you should buy ones your size next time"). I can't STAND those kind of people...
 BigDaddyJinx
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2010 11:54:52 AM

Personally I believe everyone has moments of self-doubt / low self-esteem, but openly fishing for compliments or self-deprecation isn't sexy - keep that to yourself and your dating life will probably go a lot smoother.

I agree with this partially at least. I do agree that even the most hardcore among us has moments of self-doubt and diminished self esteem on occasion...environment and surrounding stimuli can trigger that in most cases. It's only natural, so easily accepted. It's when it gets to the openly fishing for compliments or validation that puts people off, I have found. I can attest that this puts me off big time. While I may play "bite the hook" from time to time, if it is a frequent and almost never ending game, then yea...she's clearly got hangups that even I couldn't help her with. On the self deprecation though...this is a tricky one for me, since I do it all the time and in such a way that makes most around me chuckle. As long as it's said in context and not just a pity me kind of way, self deprecating humor is actually appealing to me lol.

Yea, I'm odd like that.

If you train your eye enough, you can usually spot the potential "sore spots" on either men or women. When I first scan a girl I note any perceived imperfection and file it in the back of my mind for further observation on how she handles/hides it.

This is an interesting thought too. I also make a habit of doing this, and once where I had to tell myself each time to be on the lookout, now it is more subconscious and just happens without even thinking about it. I have, even been known to openly gaze or gawk at things like scars, moles and birthmarks just to see how they'd respond. Do they talk about it? Laugh about it? Cover it? Snipe at me for leering?

All reactions valid, and important to determine suitability.

If I meet a lady that's openly self-deprecating I try to toss a compliment her way to cheer her up, but if it goes on deaf ears, she's out. I don't have the time nor the inclination to try and instill a sense of self-worth into someone - they need to do that on their own.

Oh HELLZ yea. Big +1 on that. These are the validation seekers I have mentioned in several of my own posts throughout the years. Those types are just validation vampires. Enough is never gonna be enough for them. They need to be validated constantly, and that in itself becomes a full time job with no pay. They have all the self esteem and self worth one could fit on the head of a grain of rice. UGH. Again, self deprecation in proper context and well timed can be appealing at least to me...so it's easier for me to observe whether this is similar to my own use of self deprecation, or if this is just a Red Flag that screams "I NEED VALIDATION DAMMIT!". In the latter, I just have no time or patience for it...they need to be "whole" long before I get there. If they're expecting me to provide them their "Jerry Maguire" (You...complete...me), then they're barking up the wrong tree.

Also if the lady tosses out a blatant compliment fish hook (e.g. "These jeans make me look fat"), I simply agree with their self-deprecating statement and walk away (i.e. "Yeah they do at that, maybe you should buy ones your size next time"). I can't STAND those kind of people...

Thankfully those types are the easiest to spot. If they say it once, it is chuckled about and we move on. They say it again, then they're on their own. I have no time to dig through my bag of "appropriate responses" to see which one they're looking for.

S'pose I should stop tellin' people I'm hung like a lightswitch, eh? LOL
 Just_Jay79
Msg: 135
Posted: 1/27/2010 12:04:18 PM

S'pose I should stop tellin' people I'm hung like a lightswitch, eh? LOL

BDJ my friend, I'm going to start paying you royalties from NOW because I plan to use that line all the way up to my annual Valentine's Day club hunting trip.
 kpooks
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2010 12:13:09 PM
Dunno, but, next time DON'T bring up the ex! It's pretty much a buzz-kill, and inevitable comparisons surface. Focus on the CURRENT!
 deltadallas
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2010 12:32:13 PM
palifornia, is asking a question that has gone in all directions. people need to go back to read this question.....reading comprehension. okay, i think that the woman, girl, chick or whatever is not interested in pally guy. this is her way of saying "i'm not into you" instead of just telling him that she does not (or at that time didn't want to hang out) want to be bothered. a lot of women ask men what the previous woman looked like, age, race, and stuff like that. i always ask men, especially black men if the last woman they dated was white or hispanic? why ? i don't know , i just want to know. (i do know but won't tell). pally and most men know that they like those "low-self esteem chicks. the women who act like rosie o'donnel, monique, rosanne barr, anne coulter, and sarah palin SCARES most men off. especially the beauty queens likes: halle berry, alicia keys, beyonce, jessica simpson, christie brinkley and angelie jolie.
 Dranken
Msg: 138
Posted: 1/27/2010 12:34:05 PM
i agree women need to be more confident about them selves. and i do hate that line!
 Shoedaddy
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2010 10:05:06 PM
Then you are just tired of meeting women. 'Low self-esteem' is a condition which can either be acute or longstanding. It is also a relative observation. But more than anything low self esteem (in others) is your friend; this is what makes you valuable to them. If her self esteem was super high she wouldn't even be talking to you. If it were dangerously low she would be on suicide watch. -However if it is 'healthfully low' it means the person will work hard for their validation. Low self-esteem is what compells us to get the best jobs we can, to dress nicely, to learn more, etc.. . This is a good thing, don't be mistaken.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 140
Posted: 7/7/2010 12:59:19 AM
Why does it just sound like a punch line to a bad old joke
"I wouldnt say she had low self esteem
but she dated me for a season !"
 luckyhot777s
Msg: 141
Posted: 7/7/2010 5:25:05 AM
Actually, the way this post is written, you haven't actually met them yet.

Some might actually be saying you are not their type, because you aren't their type in their opinion, with others you might be right..who knows?

But if you start chatting and it sounds like some are asking things that sounds like they are worried about their looks, then why not just re assure them, that is not an issue....then lead the conversation in another direction.

For the record, some are saying with some men, if your not attractive, some won't give you the time of day....from reading post and living life... I can safely say...that works both ways for some of both genders, and yes, the media, movie's and ads portrays a lot of beautiful women, but a lot of men realise what they would look like without all the make up, and that some who are of beauty in looks, lack beauty on the inside. I feel thats a problem with the media and women in general.

Seems to me both genders appreciate beauty in people, that doesn't mean either feels thats all there is to a person. If they are going to hang up pictures of pretty women, sure men are going to look, just as women will, when handsome men are in the movies, or ads, or on stage singing. Isn't that the same thing?

Sure it is.
 Nu2010
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2010 5:02:27 PM
Men expect women to be Goddesses. Women are supposed to have the perfect weight and height and wear a size 2. Get Real. I have found many men want the woman to fulfill their fantasies by wearing dresses and high heels. Many women when married have taken the back seat when it comes to taking care of themselves because they are taking care of the children and do not have enough time.
With me, I gained weight because of stress when my ex lost his job. He then told me I was too fat for him and I would not be able to find anyone else. With my second husband I learned he was cheating and I thought it was because of my weight, I was wrong, I did not weigh enough.
Now, I am in the process of losing the weight and going back to school. After a divorce people need to learn to love themselves before they can love another. Divorce is like a death, you have to go through the healing process.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2010 5:29:47 PM
^^^^Men may want their woman to be a goddess in their own eyes and by your post, you clearly validate that fact. One thought you were heavy, the other? Not heavy enough. Sounds to me like personal preferences rather than some deep-seated problem. I'm sorry you are so wounded, and it's terrible why each marriage failed, but not EVERY man is going to leave a good woman due to weight.

Sadly, it happens with men, too. **shrug**
 bella9
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2011 4:08:48 PM
She doesn't have 'low self-esteem'. You shouldn't think of showing pictures of an ex; how would you like it??! It seems all about you and how high your self-esteem is. (Overly.)
 missingkarma
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2011 8:23:56 PM
From what I have seen, a lot of men say they don’t want anyone “like” their ex-wife and to “prove” it they will date different sorts of women but when they fall for someone again you look back over their past wives and you will see quite a few similarities. They could have different length or color of hair but the general features will be uncannily the same.
So if she says to you that she doesn’t think she is your type, she could have had several disappointing experiences and is not ready to chance another at that time. No offense . . . . to you or any other guy . . . people’s preferences are their preferences . . . . not much you can do.
 BlueTeaPot
Msg: 146
Posted: 7/2/2011 5:21:32 AM
If you think they have low self - esteem....maybe that is what attracted you in the first place....

sometimes we must look at what characteristics we are attracted to....we need to be complete before we look for someone to take the journey with us.
 MsMuscleChick
Msg: 147
Posted: 7/2/2011 5:37:37 AM
A lot of people have low self esteem and sometimes it is not even easily noticed. Not until a few conversations at least. It is also not gender specific. I have met many men who have this issue. Whining about their physical build, their life, you name it.

As soon as a guy starts this nonsense, I cut it off. Fortunately they do it pretty soon in getting to know them ! I do better with a type A personality anyway. *Most * of the time people of this type do not have low self esteem or the poor me syndrome. Some, but not most.
 rasheed70
Msg: 148
Posted: 7/2/2011 8:31:55 AM
I would be very careful in assuming that she has low self esteem because it makes you come off as arrogant, which I'm sure you are not.

We as men often underestimate the deep intellect of women ( who are better at communicating, generally ). It could not be low self esteem at all, maybe she picked up on something you were saying during your conversation that gave her pause.

I'm sure that if you stopped assuming she had self esteem issues and just asked her what the problem is she would be more than happy to tell you.
 Cathysaint
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2011 3:34:10 PM
You are tired of the human race then Everyone has insecurities at some point and lack confidence, its part of how we learn about ourselves and we instinctively know we have room for improvement .
Some people may not experience those things at all, but psychologists usually have it under some condition.
 iretrezy
Msg: 150
Posted: 7/2/2011 9:27:19 PM
Well, some people have low self-esteem. Make sure this is something you want to persue. I try to stay away from low self esteem and inflated egos.
Also, a good question would be why show her pics of your ex? Why talk about your ex?
I don't talk about mine. I don't have any pics of him. In order for me to move forward I have to put him in the past - where he belongs. Harsh but true
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > I am getting tired of meeting women with low self-esteem!!!