Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Mike Schmidt greatest baseball players of our time      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dennyden
Msg: 26
view profile
History
greatest baseball players of our timePage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Just think of the numbers a HEALTHY Griffey Jr could have put up. Dude is the Tracy McGrady of MLB

that makes no sense, griffey is a hall of famer ( first ballot) he has won a handfull of gold gloves and will go down as one of the top 25 or 50 players ever, mcgrady will not. when they pose the ? of think about the numbers he could have put, just remember the numbers HE DID PUT UP!!!
 adru1028
Msg: 27
view profile
History
greatest baseball players of our time
Posted: 7/15/2009 9:45:03 AM
Denny,
I never said Griffey wasn't a hall of famer. I agree he is a first ballot as well. In my mind one of the top 5 talents of all time. Jr also has one of the purest swings the game has ever seen.
The comparison to McGrady is that they are both often injured having on MORE than one occasion missing the majority of a season in their respective sport. That was it..nothing more..
 dwayne88
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2009 11:51:48 AM
People can talk about roids all they want, but most consider Bonds to be clean pre 1999. Before that year, he was the best player in baseball for several years.

I love Griffey, but the only reason he was named "player of the decade" was because Bonds is a jackass.

Sometimes you have to look at skill and set your bias aside.
 Uncle Fist
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/15/2009 3:48:34 PM

Craig Biggio was the epitome of pro ball player on & off the field. Multiple Golden Gloves at catcher & second. Was known around the league for his hardnose play & hustle. I was wore my #7 Biggio jersey to a triple A game here in Frsno CA. You wouldn't believe the number of times I heard someone shout out BIGGIO! He did it the right way..

I agree.

Also, not to sound like a homer here since I'm an Astros fan, but I really think he's extremely underrated because of the city he spent his whole career in. He seems to get overlooked a lot despite his numbers and accomplishments being nothing short of amazing. He's actually in some fairly elite company. If he had spent his career playing in a bigger market city like New York or Boston, I'm pretty sure we'd be sick of hearing about how great he was.
 adru1028
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2009 4:17:50 PM
If Biggio spent his career playing in a bigger market city like New York or Boston, I'm pretty sure we'd be sick of hearing about how great he was.

Raphael,

Funny how the Nations 4th largest city would be considered a small market. LOL
I enjoyed going to The Juice Box(Minutemaid Park) & miss seeing the Stros play live. I sure hated seeing Bagwell plagued by that shoulder injury his last 3 seasons.
 yeswho
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2009 10:43:03 PM
JAC. I agree with you on Willie Mays.This poll asks the best in your lifetime.Mine by position -SPS Nolan Ryan,Steve Carlton abd Tom Seaver. S- Johnnie Bench 1b Willie Mc Covey ss Cal Ripken and Ozzie Smith 3b Mike Scmidt OFS Willie Mays, Hank Aaron.and Roberto Clemente. Closers this is the toughest because there were a lot of them-M.Rivera due to his post season preformance.
 caffeinejag
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/16/2009 7:00:41 PM
[Quote]Closers this is the toughest because there were a lot of them-M.Rivera due to his post season preformance.

Should also add that it is the consistency over a very long time span. There are other that are great closers for a season or two, but it is a pretty exclusive club that do it for a career. That might be an interesting thread.
 GabrielWhispers
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/17/2009 9:28:24 AM
having been around almost 50 years and being a huge baseball fan, Id have to say Willie Mays, hands down. No one dominated the game with their presence the way the Say Hey Kid did. There wasnt anything he didnt do almost better than anyone else and collectively Mays was the very definition of the 5 tool player.
 Jd_25
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/17/2009 1:46:32 PM
By the end of his career you'll have to add Carlos Delgado to that list. I truely believe that he's been one of the only pure homerun hitters who has been clean throughout his career. I was choked when Toronto let him go via the FA wire.
 Uncle Fist
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/17/2009 1:50:07 PM

I sure hated seeing Bagwell plagued by that shoulder injury his last 3 seasons.

He's another one. If he could have played another 5 seasons uninjured and reached the 20 year mark like Biggio, I'm fairly certain he'd have had the numbers to be a first ballot hall of famer as well.

Unfortunately, with his shoulder injury taking him out prematurely, I'm not sure if he'll get in at all. Great player, though. One of my all-time favorites.

By the end of his career you'll have to add Carlos Delgado to that list.

People always forget about Delgado. He's kind of one of those under-the-radar superstars.
 Chicagopoolguy
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2009 4:46:18 PM
My lineup of "our time"

1. Ricky Henderson CF and leading off. Best Basepath Guy ever.
2. Rod Carew LF Best Bat Control of our era.
3. Mike Schmidt 3B He was a great guy with the stick and on D.
4. Jim Thome 1B Generated more runs per atbat than anyone in history (last I checked)
5. Barry Bonds RF One of the top power hitters of our Era
6. Manny Ramirez DH Best talent to wear a uniform in our era.
7. Craig Biggio 2B Best Attitude and all around player of our Generation.
8. Ozzie Smith SS Best defensive player ever at SS
9. Johnny Bench C Might be too old for this Era but he had a good game.

Starting pitchers:

Clemens, Maddux, Ryan, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez

Too many good closers to list them all. Easier to find a good closer than a good starter.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/19/2009 5:48:49 PM
Tony Gwynn was one of the best men to ever play.
He made it mandatory that he was blood tested in his contract.
He didn't want his fans to have any doubt.
Then to top it off, after his career he could have had the multi-million dollar broadcasting or major league manager contracts but opts instead to give back to the community managing at the town that gave him everything San Diego State U.
The one thing I wished for him was to finish playing with over a .333 average symbolizing his consistancy. I was tickled pink when he ended up at .336 or 7.

Here's a question ?
How can Ozzie Smith be overwhelmingly considered the best when he played on a rug ? The Wiz kid never saw a (home field) bad hop in his major league career. Except when he played for the Padres, then they traded him for Gary Templeton which was a good trade 'till he blew out his knee.
 brendantime
Msg: 38
Posted: 7/29/2009 11:24:56 AM
I had a chance to meet and spend about 4 hours with Willie Mays 2 weeks ago when he flew in town right after the all star game. I told him that he was the greatest living player right now. Willie told me he was the greatest player that ever lived. He said if he played at Wrigley, he would have hit over 800 hrs easy. He was kind of grumpy and full of himself, but he is 88 years old I guess.

Best of All Time
1. Ruth
2. Williams
3. Cobb
4. Gehrig
5. Mays
6. Hornsby
7. Mantle
8. Honus Wagner
9. DiMaggio
10. Aaron

Best of our era
1. Griffey
2. Albert P
 rebel777
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2009 4:20:21 PM
in the early 80's,I lived Montreal and went to alot of the Expos' games,watched Nolan Ryan pitch many times,Steve Carlton,Dave Kingman could hit towering homeruns.Gary Carter was a great backcatcher,Andre Dawson was a great center fielder,Tim Raines stealing a base,Mike Schmicht home runs...alot of great memories..but my Favourites were the Boston Redsox...
Jim Rice,Fred Lynn,Rick Burlson,Dwight Evans,Yaz and Pudge...definately not Bill Buckner..
 chadcuba
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/31/2009 2:11:36 AM
Go on youtube and find an old bonds video where he was a rookie(86) and look how skinny he was. Also, take a look at his numbers in his first 5 years and then do a comparison to his "steroid" years and look how he almost tripled in size. I would say the same for McGwire but he came in as a rookie and smashed 49 freaking homeruns although he was alot smaller too. Point is, all these steroids guys cheated, plain and simple and one could only imagine if you gave steroids to guys like mickey mantle, reggie jackson, rod carew, joe dimaggio and all those greats from back in the day. How can Barry's alltime homerun record be respected???
 giantfan982
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/31/2009 3:05:27 PM
Glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks Biggio was grrrrrrrreat.
 chadcuba
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/1/2009 10:04:02 AM
Ok, here is a great video that shows the pre steroid and the steroid years/pictures of bonds. He wouldn't have hit more than 550 if he would have stayed steroid free.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry37uHwgBPs
 comic book
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/3/2009 9:21:07 PM
barry bonds, mark mcmiguire, jose canseco, jason giambi, roger clemens, ken caminiti, sammy sosa, manny rodriguez, rafael palmeiro, a-rod, and david otiz. I dont' know but I'm just drawn to the long ball and all these players on the list are just too good, too too good. not too mention that they are all very classy.
 Kaos86
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/4/2009 1:32:00 PM
Classy?
Bonds, Mcquire and Palmeiro and Clemens were not very classy as they lied to Congress and all the fans.
Hopefully none of these bums get into the HOF.

just alittle crazy II
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/4/2009 1:47:35 PM

barry bonds, mark mcmiguire, jose canseco, jason giambi, roger clemens, ken caminiti, sammy sosa, manny rodriguez, rafael palmeiro, a-rod, and david otiz. I dont' know but I'm just drawn to the long ball and all these players on the list are just too good, too too good. not too mention that they are all very classy.

ESPN's Stats & Information "on your classy" Major League Baseball players who have been implicated or have admitted to using performance-enhancing drugs.

Barry Bonds: Implicated
Bonds, baseball's all-time home run king, said during testimony to the federal grand jury looking into the Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative (BALCO) that he took substances described to him by trainer Greg Anderson as linseed oil and rubbing balm, which the BALCO investigators say were PEDs. Bonds said he did not knowingly take those substances. His testimony was leaked to the San Francisco Chronicle in a Dec. 3, 2004, article.

Ken Caminiti: Admitted
The late Caminiti, who hit 239 career home runs in a 15-year career with five teams, admitted to using performance-enhancing drugs in an interview with Sports Illustrated's Tom Verducci in 2002. He died in 2004 of an apparent heart attack.

Jose Canseco: Admitted
Canseco, a six-time All-Star who hit 462 career home runs, admitted to using PEDs in his autobiography, "Juiced, Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits, and How Baseball Got Big," which was released in February 2005.

Roger Clemens: Named in Mitchell report
The seven-time Cy Young Award winner was named in the Mitchell report by Brian McNamee, who said he injected Clemens with anabolic steroids and HGH during a three-year period beginning in 1998.

Jason Giambi: Admitted
Giambi, currently a member of the Oakland A's, admitted using PEDs during testimony to a BALCO grand jury. That testimony was leaked to the San Francisco Chronicle in December 2004. Giambi later issued a public apology in a USA Today article on May 17, 2007.

Mark McGwire: Implicated
The former owner of baseball's single-season home run record was named in a March 13, 2005, report by the New York Daily News that linked him to an FBI steroids investigation in 1992 called Operation Equine. According to the report, Curtis Wenzlaff, a steroids dealer, provided McGwire with illegal steroids.

David Ortiz: Reportedly positive
The New York Times reported Thursday that according to lawyers with knowledge of the results, Ortiz tested positive in 2003. The information about Ortiz (along with Manny Ramirez) emerged through interviews with multiple lawyers and others connected to the pending litigation, the newspaper said.

Rafael Palmeiro: Positive
The four-time All-Star and member of the 3,000-hit club tested positive for steroids on Aug. 1, 2005, and was suspended 10 games for violation of Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program

Alex Rodriguez: Admitted
Rodriguez, who has more than 500 career home runs, admitted to using PEDs in an interview with ESPN's Peter Gammons on Feb. 9. Days earlier, SI.com reported that Rodriguez had tested positive for two anabolic steroids, testosterone and Primobolan, during his 2003 season while playing for the Texas Rangers. In a 2007 interview with Katie Couric, Rodriguez denied ever having used PEDs.

Sammy Sosa: Implicated
Sosa, according to a June 16 story in The New York Times, was named by lawyers with knowledge of the 2003 drug-testing results as one of the players who tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003.

I would say they are ......... cheesy not classy!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4366683
 comic book
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/5/2009 2:41:50 AM
just alittle crazy II .... you can go slammin on me, but these players that I meantioned (barry bonds, mark mcmiguire, jose canseco, jason giambi, roger clemens, ken caminiti, sammy sosa, manny rodriguez, rafael palmeiro, a-rod, and david otiz) are the ones slamimin balls outta the park like t ball... all of them are A class athletes and I hope all of them get inducted in the hall of fame.

players like mickey mantle, rod carew, ken griffey jr, greg maddux, tom glavine, mike schmitd, johny bench, roberto clemente, kirby puckett, and honus wagner should be taken outta the HOF for being so boring.

ps, why would you waste yer time researchin?
 just alittle crazy II
Msg: 47
Posted: 8/5/2009 4:49:59 AM
comicbook~Not slamming you so don't take it personal. Those player's you mentioned are all on the juice.

just alittle crazy II .... you can go slammin on me, but these players that I meantioned (barry bonds, mark mcmiguire, jose canseco, jason giambi, roger clemens, ken caminiti, sammy sosa, manny rodriguez, rafael palmeiro, a-rod, and david otiz) are the ones slamimin balls outta the park like t ball... all of them are A class athletes and I hope all of them get inducted in the hall of fame.
And I hope they all are banned from the HOF for juicing.

players like mickey mantle, rod carew, ken griffey jr, greg maddux, tom glavine, mike schmitd, johny bench, roberto clemente, kirby puckett, and honus wagner should be taken outta the HOF for being so boring.
All the above are great players and all are in the HOF. And they were not boring to many fans maybe just to you. And guess what? They did it with out the use of steroids. Which by the way is an illegal substance if you did not hear. And if any player in any sport uses them. They are cheaters and going against the rules. There are rules in life but some feel they do not have to follow those rules, because they are so special.

ps, why would you waste yer time researchin?

Lieutenant Friday would say: Just stating the facts mam.
 boybug
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2009 4:55:33 AM
best in my lifetime, who i saw play

C Johnny Bench...one of a kind, the benchmark to whom all other catchers are measured by/

1B Don Mattingly...may never make the hall, but as good a money player as there was

2B Robbie Alomar...Sandberg a close 2nd, but robbie's glove was a thing of beauty, and i will always be appreciative of having chance to see him up close during the Jays heyday

3b Mike Schmidt...power + glove + class

SS Ozzie Smith...wiz was a thing of beauty

LF Barry Bonds...quite simply the best player of this era, perhaps any era. Steriods be damned, Bonds has the numbers

CF Ken Griffey Jr...say the kid and our gen thinks Griffey, and he undoubtedly the most all round CF since the real kid, mr mays. Tough to leave Puckett and Devon White off, but Griffey was in a class of his own

RF Roberto Clemente....my childhood idol. And to this day i've not seen a better right fielder, though a Vlady sure came close

DH Paul Molitor.... sweet sweet swing.
 boybug
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2009 4:56:51 AM
pitchers

tom seaver the best i saw, but greg maddux by far my favorite
 MGMLION
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/5/2009 5:02:21 AM
These players mickey mantle, rod carew, ken griffey jr, greg maddux, tom glavine, mike schmitd, johny bench, roberto clemente, kirby puckett, and honus wagner

Taught these players barry bonds, mark mcmiguire, jose canseco, jason giambi, roger clemens, ken caminiti, sammy sosa, manny rodriguez, rafael palmeiro, a-rod, and david otiz..........

How to play the game.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Mike Schmidt greatest baseball players of our time