Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Has anyone met someone from this site and what happened.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dardika
Msg: 51
Has anyone met someone from this site and what happened.Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
met one guy who was married but worked out of town..happened to be my town he was working in

met one guy...he was married and wanted to have sex only and was quite clear about it

Met another guy who lived with a woman, probably his wife or g/f but only admitted to having a prior relationship with her that was now defunct and hoped I would understand while she was out of town he was available.

and yep..that is about it...all married.

Oh wait I did meet another guy from POF through another guy off of POF and added him to my YM becasue he seemed cool but then he asked me for naked pictures...............bleh

What are ya gonna do?

If I am going to be a whore...I will be a "forumwhore" only... Hey I wonder if anyone has taken that name....goes for a look see
 mechele99
Msg: 52
Has anyone met someone from this site and what happened.
Posted: 8/21/2009 6:09:25 PM
The POF functions were a lot of fun for me. I met some really cool people.
 spicynicegirl
Msg: 53
Posted: 8/21/2009 6:15:48 PM
Yes and nothing happened.....................
 pepperman
Msg: 54
Posted: 8/21/2009 8:30:59 PM
I have met a couple. I must say the majority seem to be looking for their preverbial knight in shining armor. They list everything you can't do or be and that list seems to define every bad habit or experience they've had. By the time I get done ready all the list I don't have the heart to respond because somewhere in there are some of my faults. I understand ladies get to a certain age and they become very independent (and picky). And hopefully "the list" keeps the knotheads, perverts etc from sending numerous emails. It also keeps many good guys away too.
 *buzz*
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2009 10:56:33 AM

^^^^ and of course there exists the across the pond potentials

Of course, Mr Lobster but hey, lets just be realistic. When one was single with no commitments, professional roots were not that deep down, when one believed totally in *happily ever after* and moved the mountains in the name of love ... yes, I have done it and know jolly well its pros & cons .
At this stage in my life - *potentials from the across the pond* - it is just not an option for me, nor even remotely to contemplate anything that would involve long distance romance. But thank you for suggesting
 Seven1234
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2009 11:16:19 AM
I've only been on this site for a little more than a month. I've been lucky! I've been only out with 2 guys and both have been fabulous! Whether or not these relationships are going to progress ( to something serious): who knows?

I can usually tell if I am going to like someone from their writing abilities and then the phone. If those aren't there for me: It goes no further. So, therefore, I am predisposed to liking the person I am going to meet (personality). Does that make sense? As for "looks" they are both "hot" guys, what can I say. Not sure if I would find them "hot" if it wasn't for there personalities though. Geez, I'm confusing myself.

Anyway, keep at it: There are some great ppl on this site.
 barbee1970
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2009 1:15:36 PM
I went to a POF picnic not long ago, met a guy who seems really nice, but I don't see that as going beyond platonic. Why? Every time we talk he talks about lady "friends". There are too many "her's" in his circle. I never want to come home to find a "her" in my bed or Condo.

I don't want to give "her" my belongings cause she has nothing.
Another never hardly relies and sometimes messages me asking why I don't talk. Myabe he is not that interested in me, maybe he is keeping me on the side while he is looking at more attractive women, I don't know. But I won't do all of the talking.

Go to an event, I'm sure you'll meet people. I normally do. Seems like for me it doesn't really go beyond platonic for some reason.
 Esperanza
Msg: 58
Posted: 8/22/2009 1:56:07 PM
Yes, I have met many men from POF. I continue to talk to one in particular going on nine months. He told me he has had his eye on me for a while and contacted me before and I rejected him. I couldn't remember and I can't believe I rejected him. He is younger than me and the time I did return his message, we clicked by talking through email, advanced to the phone, and finally meeting in person and yes, we are sexually compatible. Nothing serious and we continue to be friends. Right now we are both making improvements to both of our lives by continuing are education.
 Elizabeth023
Msg: 59
Posted: 8/22/2009 3:17:58 PM
Yes, I have met people from the site, but I really felt uncomfortable around the men, none of them were right for me, unfortunately...
 bartgiamatti
Msg: 60
Posted: 8/22/2009 7:32:54 PM
Went on 4 dates from this site . All charming women just didn't work out . If this is the only way you are trying to meet women there's your problem. You'll get a higher return on effort in the literal world instead of the virtual.
 baldirishgod
Msg: 61
Posted: 8/22/2009 8:13:11 PM
I'll tell you my short experience on this site. pretty much a sham for honest folks. people (women) say they want a "good, honest man". No they dont. well, they do, but he's gotta look like clooney or pitt. I know what I am. I also have the sense to know what I'm not. I'm reasonably successfull, half ass smart, gotta sense of humor. I'm not a drug addict, wanted for arrest, unemployed, a wife or child beater. I'm not ugly or fat either. I'm a normal, average dude. that equates boring to most girls. so let them wait on a rich hunk that cant wait to find an unemployed single mom to wisk away and make her "pretty woman" fantasies come true. am I bitter? nah. just dissapointed. not in me, in the women I speak to on here with respect and usually a compliment. they dont have time for a simple thank you and good luck to you 2.
 baldirishgod
Msg: 62
Posted: 8/22/2009 8:18:24 PM
dam dardika, whats that say about you? you knew they were married, but ****it? well you're a pretty hot gal, obviously you dont give a shit. so send me some "nekkid" pics. oh, I aint married. we still bs?
 Maltese_CanadianGuy
Msg: 63
Posted: 8/22/2009 9:47:15 PM
Been on this site for about 9 months on and off, and had zero luck. haven't met a single person. Most of my messages hardly ever get a response, and I rarely ever get messages. I don't know what the problem is, I tailer every message I send to the person's profile, so nothing is spam like. Oh well.
 GGSN
Msg: 64
Posted: 8/22/2009 10:23:44 PM
Been on and off the site for years.

Let's see what I can remember, from those memorable.

I'd say about six to eight dates that didn't go beyond three.
A couple that lasted a month or so.
Met a co-worker, she was looking for a job, place was hiring. She is also with someone I think she met here.
One person dated for a bit, but just been friends for years now.
One person was with for a couple years, was engaged, but then it ended.
Last one was for a few months.

So you can meet people. But can't exactly call things a success. Just another option to meet people, which can be hard for some people because of their jobs, or just personalities (shy).

Plus the forums are often interesting. Who doesn't enjoy the same dozen questions over and over again.
 christyshorty
Msg: 65
Posted: 8/22/2009 10:31:26 PM
hello... Just wanted to jump in here. I have been on this site for almost three months now. I like it better than the others cus i really have not had to deal with the sleze balls that want sexy pics or sexy talk. But just to let you know my first dating expirence here was with a guy that i was truely interested in... come to find out he started ignoring me and when i said he was with someone else he denied it. BUT he was come to find out. He didnt have the balls to tell me right up front. Why is that? If i say im done cus i think something is going on dont say your busy at work and your soo sorry. Bull crap. How am i soposed to be able to trust the next one...huh? It really gives you guys a bad name.
So when you say your just meeting friends.. maybe they are too scared to jump. Im not and i will keep jumping because i know that their is someone who will respect me and be happy that i am strong and emotionally somewhat rounded!! :)
 CPD352
Msg: 66
Posted: 8/23/2009 6:39:34 AM
I actually have a funny story. Thank God I have a sense of humor and I am pretty easy going. I found a profile on this site. I even wrote a testimonial when this woman saved me to her favorite places. I wrote a very detailed and complimentary email to this woman. She emailed me that she had to be honest and had met someone here and was dating him, but her email said,"That was such a beautiful email I just have to meet you. "
I was reluctant to meet her but after several emails back and forth and some great telephone conversations I agreed to meet her. In her conversations she said she just could'nt get me out of her thoughts. I though good right? Well we met for dinner in a great restaurant. Heck I even dressed and put on a tie for this because of the enthusiasm she showed in her phone conversations. We had a great night laughing, dancing and she even held my hand when we left and I walked her to her car. We kissed and she said, "I really like you , and I have a big decision to make. I don't want to hurt this other guy because he really likes me". I thought well I guess we hit it off and she was going to tell this other man that she met someone else and wanted to see what happened..WRONG!!! She decided to stay with this other guy for the sake of not hurting him. I know the saying goes in a book MAYBE SHE'S JUST NOT INTO YOU.
I have no problem with that believe me. BUT? You women all complain that we men are inconsiderate of you and your feelings. If you meet someone? Hide or take yourself off the site. DOn't respond to someone elses email and convince them that you just have to meet. I am a strong individual and do not take this personal.
Be considerate of us men if you expect the same in return.. This woman? She is certainly in the TWILIGHT ZONE OF DATING..
 hnova
Msg: 67
Posted: 8/23/2009 7:00:14 AM
The percentage is pretty low probably bcause you're on random selection. If you choose someone that is most compatible with you (ie. religion, interests, even race, height, fitness) the likelyhood of a reply does go up. Plus if you engage them and really read their profile. Mind you there are a lot of girls here that do not put much up about themselves...and decided to post lots of pictures intead.

But yeah I found that 1 out of 10 rate happens when I message a girl out of my race..mine being asian..if I message within my race it's more like 1 out of 3 =p. See...race does matter....it's not necessarily about racism though..it's about cultural differences and compatibility. Mind you i've seen some profiles of asian girls saying they're specifically looking for a caucasian male, obviously you dont' email someone like that if you're asian..your success chances are nil =p.

I would like to think women go for personality but really they prefer the whole package..they have to at least find you a little attractive..=p...plus one important thing is what you do for a living. Look, if they're looking for marriage they're looking for someone who can provide..why would you marry someone with a great personality but works at macdonalds? Unless it's a part time gig and you're studying to become a doctor =p.

Mind you players are very good at doing this thing, they have figured out this whole 'get your number' thing and have very high success rate lol.
 nitetrain_05
Msg: 68
Posted: 8/23/2009 8:29:09 AM
I have been on the site for about 2 weeks now. I've sent a quite a few emails, received replies to most of them which were very polite and encouraging. I have met 2 women thus far. No magic chemistry yet, but as the site says, plenty of us out there.

As far as what women go for, I'd have to say put your best most recent (very important) flattering, pictures on the site. Pics of you getting hammered with your buddies or on a romantic date with an ex with her head cut out isn't going to work. If you send someone a email, they're going to look at your profile and READ what you have to say. I get quite a few emails from women with appalling grammar and/or no punctuation. I'm positive guys do the same thing. It's not an immediate dealbreaker for me, but it tells me a lot about your personality and your attention to detail. Be polite and and reply to their profile 'cause for all intents and purposes....this is your first interview.

BUT, from your email...if you're spending that much time on here and sending out that many emails.....I'm going to take a wild guess and say you sound as desperate in your emails as you sound on this post. You definitely need to take a breather for a bit.

Don't force the issue...relax and let it happen..

Happy fishing.
 Irish eyes
Msg: 69
Posted: 8/23/2009 8:49:15 AM
AMEN Sister!
I agree especially about the 'bulk' mail.
If you don't have the time or want to spend the energy writing to a potential mate, don't expect someone to take the time to write to you.
Another good thing to remember is that as a woman with morals and values, I will usually respond to a respectful letter opposed to a 'Hey sweet thing' letter, even if it is a 'no thank you.'
Good Luck!
 Irish eyes
Msg: 70
Posted: 8/23/2009 9:04:21 AM
One of the MOST important things for most of us is the initial attraction. Yes, the pictures matter...I have past up profiles after looking at the gorgeous hunk photos after reading less than flattering profiles.
I have met those with pictures that were NOT up to date, and they think they 'still' look the same, or 'haven't changed much' ...trust me, you have, sometimes for the better...Keep your pictures updated! My rule of thumb is to try to have a fun pic, a serious, a dressier and casual picture...oh yea, and a picture of my dog LOL (it's a package deal)LOL and usually no older than three to six months.
Hope this helped or at least gave some ideas! Good Luck!
 Electraglidin2009
Msg: 71
Posted: 8/23/2009 10:20:23 AM
I have been on/off POF since April or May. It's been great but there are positives, negatives and neutrals.
Negatives:
Women that post old pics, and have gained 60 lbs.
Women that say they don't smoke but do.
Women who want an instant boyfriend.
Women with drinking issues/meds issues.

Neutrals:
Women you just can't have a lengthy conversation with you.
Women who look bored to death on first date.
Women who you know just want out of the date.

Positives:
Made some great friends of the opposite sex.
Have had enought dates progress/go well enough to boost my self-esteem.
Know that there are plenty of wonderful women out there, and one will be the right one for me!
 true2ms
Msg: 72
Posted: 8/23/2009 10:48:14 AM
I have met 3 people, and been on this site on and off for 2 years.

As far as looks verses personality... I think persnality can only take you so far. There has to be some physical attraction too..
 wileygy
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2009 10:52:26 AM
i've met quite a few people here and from other sites.ive had some nice dates as well as a couple nice relationships.so yes....it is a dating site.

personality vs. looks........dunno.....i have neither

success?hmm...i'm still here arent I? 20 women a night???wtf??? i must live in the wrong area.i've messaged 3 women here i found interesting.i met 2 and plan on meeting the other.thats been in the last couple months.for me to find 100 women im interested in would take 31 years.oh boy am i in trouble!!!!!fyi.....i hear 10% isnt so bad....at least for most people.me thinks im 1 of the unnormal ones.anyway..at the end of the day i'm just hoping for the right one.to hell with numbers!

ive done meet n greets before.you can overcome your fears or allow them to run your life.pretty simple.
 nemoishouse
Msg: 74
Posted: 8/23/2009 11:58:33 AM
I've met some. Some where cool and we hung out and just talked and other where looney!!! I have seen others that are on here and they arent what they say they are in their profiles at all.
 winteragain
Msg: 75
Posted: 8/23/2009 12:38:31 PM
First chick: slim, strawberry blond hair, snowboarding teacher, likes working on cars, likes exercise. We chatted for 2 months and played around for 2 weeks. She never talked about past bf's so one day i asked her what she did over the weekend, she had sex with her best friend who lived in a dorm a few towns away, and i was like oh that's cool since I boned you the weekend before that. See ya

Second chick: overweight, punky, piercings everywhere, only had face shots so when i met her it took me by surprise. We hung out on 10 more dates but after that things started to fizzle. Going out to McDonald's and Wendy's got boring, and Toys R Us was just weird because she'd talk about toys for our future kids. She wouldn't talk about her future because it consisted mostly of being a tattoo artist. She goes to school to get bad grades and doesn't care, drops out of 2 state universities. Nothing worse than being with someone with so much potential but doesn't do anything with it.

Third chick: likes to drink, larger than me, very personable, spent a birthday with her family, went out on movie dates, went to the same school. I wasn't attracted to her and her personality couldn't save the relationship. I'd rather be single than be with her
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Has anyone met someone from this site and what happened.