Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What does it take for you to "Block" someone on POF?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nicestguy2know
Msg: 26
What does it take for you to Block someone on POF?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I agree with oleandrummer. It's only polite to respond in some fashion to someone who has taken the time to not only read your profile but to write. (Of coarse I'm assuming the written message was not rude or obscene!) I always try to write back to anyone who has taken the time and trouble to contact me. For those who don't respond at all when I've written to them, I just figure that maybe they aren't as classy or real (or maybe are a "player") as they tried to sound in their profile and I probably wouldn't want to know them afterall.
 killene
Msg: 27
What does it take for you to Block someone on POF?
Posted: 11/7/2009 4:24:09 PM
I think that someone that sends unwanted messages or gets too vulgar in their very first messages would be one reason.

Another reason might be if one got a 1/2 threatening bullying type email because they did not like you point of view on the certain subject matters.

I was told by some one that sometimes it's a good idea to keep a copy just in case you are further threaten, bullied or harassed.
 ToughLuv1984
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/7/2009 6:56:50 PM
I block anyone who emails me that I am not interested in. That way they don't try to email me again in a month hoping I changed my mind....
 maesbaby63
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/8/2009 5:38:27 AM
One guy sent me a message, I didn't care for what it said and when I read his profile I knew there was no interest but I just thanked him for looking. He messaged me again a month later and I read and deleted well he sent me another one being a real smart a$$ about me ignoring his messages so I blocked him. He then changed his username and messaged me again, very sexually explicit so I blocked him again.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2009 10:16:52 AM
I very rarely feel the need to block anyone as I've been pretty fortunate and 99% of the gentlemen I've corresponded with have been courteous and gracious.

Then there's that 1%.

Got a message this past week just saying, "GREAT TITS!!! >>>>"

Moron.

I blocked the window-licker after sending back a most scathing reply.
 MysteryTramp
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2011 11:27:40 PM
Why don't you just hide your profile then contact only those you find "attractive"? I know that wouldn't feed your ego. Common etiquette requires us to smile back, say hello back, or answer a message to those who send one our way. Obviously, not all fish learn this in schools.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2011 3:22:44 AM

Why don't you just hide your profile then contact only those you find "attractive"? I know that wouldn't feed your ego. Common etiquette requires us to smile back, say hello back, or answer a message to those who send one our way. Obviously, not all fish learn this in schools.

Not bad advice, however-every decent man with a good profile who actually was who he said he was, contacted me from his HIDDEN profile. If I had been hiding mine and searching...Id have never found them. These men prefer to do the contacting and dont feel the need to advertise because they like to make the first move and find that they are not attracted to any of the ladies who email them...so they hide thiers and only contact the ones they like. Problem is-if everyone did this no one would find one another in searches so some of us have to be searchable.

I block more often now than I used to.

I state clearly in my profile what I am seeking and what I am not seeking so I feel I dont owe a response all they had to do was read it and they would know Im not going to be interested. Even if you are HOT -if you have young kids or another of my dealbreakers Im not going to chat/date you. No response. If you keep emailing me, blocked. All ya had to do was read the profile.

If I have an Ad on kijiji looking for a motorcycle Im not going to respond to inquiries asking if Id consder a truck. Waste of my time.

Common etiquette requires us to smile back, say hello back, or answer a message to those who send one our way. Obviously, not all fish learn this in schools

In real life if a man smiles at me, and I smile back...he wont likely bombard me with a ton of talk...and if he did and I told him 'thank you but I am not interested in dating you'...he wouldnt stand there and throw a hissy fit in the store...but yet they do that online. Dont compare this to real life because in reality most men would never use name calling face to fact when rejected but they sure do it on here alot.

I used to say 'we should all reply to every email'....I dont say that anymore. If everyone was polite when being rejected I would still feel this way. But when faced with reality, we adjust our ways.
 cheryl1229
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2011 4:37:03 PM
So far, and I am new at this, blocking is a last resort. I have blocked 2 people, both of them guys I actually met, and both of those were awful. When I got back home, I had emails about what I was missing, how good they are, whatever. I didn't want to play any more email games, so I blocked them.

I blocked 2 others, because they wouldn't take "no" for an answer. "But if you'd just take the time to get to know me, you could see that my life is complicated because my live-in girlfriend isn't putting out for me anymore! But I'm a nice, standup guy!" Yeah, right. And I'm next month's Playboy centerfold....

I am guilty of deleting emails from people that I am not attracted to, based on their profiles. Mostly, I try to respond to anyone that there is any doubt in my mind, but the ones that are clearly not my type, sorry.
 Naadirah
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/8/2011 7:38:22 PM
The Block feature is my favorite tool.

I have a very long list of men I have blocked. I have found that not responding or any type of no thank you, even a not quick enough reply spawns nasty-grams. If I have no interest, or after a few emails and it's going nowhere I block. It's just easier.

I had a guy then contact me with his secondary account to tell me off.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/9/2011 7:10:24 AM
maybe it should be the reverse of facebook, you could keep a pictoral and profile history display of all the ones you have blocked
with of course the challenging question mark icon - Are you next ?!
hell upgrade with a 'farm ville' app where you get points and crops, and tractors for each new one you block !
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2011 7:51:01 AM
Simple.

Had a 61 yr old man message me for the first time this AM and asking me to phone him. I told him, "No."

He messages back and says he has a "Really big package for me."

Delete.

Block.

As I said, simple.
 Bookbelle
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2011 4:57:57 PM
The only time I've blocked someone, it was a man old enough to be my father, who first off totally misread my profile, then talked about settling down and having kids in the immediate future!

I'm only on POF for the forums at the moment (though I have used it for dating, and have met people off here - I'm just taking a break for now to work on personal issues), but I had put "open/undecided" on whether I wanted kids. (Seeing as I'm only 21 now, and think that if I WERE to have kids, it would be when I am settled, in a LTR - preferably married - and hopefully actually planning to have them.)
Anyway, first (and only) email, he wrote something like, "Oh I see you want kids, I do too! "

WHOA!
First of all, I am in NO WAY ready to have kids, and don't know if I even *want* to have any. Even if I did, I have no plans to settle down with someone only a few years younger than my parents!

So I sent a reply saying NO in no uncertain terms, and blocked him. I found him creepy, quite honestly.
Partly, I felt creeped out because ever since I was about 15, I have had old men and generally creepy guys approaching me... obviously feeling that, because I'm overweight etc, that I must have such low self esteem or whatever that I'll be totally grateful for any male attention I get, no matter how old/unattractive/creepy they are.
 ohenryx
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2011 7:21:03 PM
I have never blocked anyone, never saw any need to. To the best of my knowledge, I've only been blocked once. A woman had a really sexy picture as her main profile pic (still does, as a matter of fact) and I emailed her asking if she got a lot of bites with that bait. She responded, "No, I don't, I think all of the men on here are queer!" and immediately blocked me. Say what????
 Simon4567
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/9/2011 8:59:35 PM

I have never blocked anyone, never saw any need to. To the best of my knowledge, I've only been blocked once. A woman had a really sexy picture as her main profile pic (still does, as a matter of fact) and I emailed her asking if she got a lot of bites with that bait. She responded, "No, I don't, I think all of the men on here are queer!" and immediately blocked me. Say what????

I blocked one woman for snapping at me. I asked her an honest question, and she flipped out. She must have had a bad day or something?
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2011 5:43:22 PM
I've blocked two women.
The usual reasons.
Wouldn't accept "not interested" and kept pestering me.
 jpwrnglrwmn_forumsonly
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/11/2011 6:54:58 PM
I usually block people for the following reasons:
1. They provide some sort of sexual innuendo before they've even asked anything about me (ie. one man asked me "Is it okay if I'm a butt man?" and when I clearly asked questions trying to get to know them, not their sexual preference.
2. If they've contacted me before, and I wasn't interested. . .and all they have to say "How have you been?"
3. If I'm just not interested. .as one poster said . .it saves the hassle of being contacted again by them.
 cherryyblossom
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/13/2011 6:51:50 AM

I've blocked two women.
The usual reasons.
Wouldn't accept "not interested" and kept pestering me.

Wow, women also cannot take "no" for an answer. Why do I almost always see men complaining about being rejected then?
 HardwoodFloorBoard
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2011 4:38:05 PM
Gee, I've never blocked anyone. Guess I've been missing out.
 LukeH1984
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/14/2011 5:01:39 PM
I block anyone who sends me a rubbish introduction email, who is blatently too old or far away for me or anyone who leads me on and then plays the ignore game, but that's AFTER they get a serious drilling and I don't mean in a dodgy way!
 ds7202
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/16/2011 12:17:29 AM

Primarily, when dumb youngin's (20-somethings) can't take the hint that I'd rather chew my eyelids off than go to Chuck E. Cheese with them.

BAHAHAHAH!

hey now, not all of us "young'ns" like Chuck E. Cheese dates! :P

(oh, and not all of us are dumb, either)

haha
 Cazita
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/16/2011 2:50:13 AM
I've only been back on the site for a fortnight and have already felt the need to block about a dozen blokes.

Various reasons:
Being downright crude
Being huffy/rude when I've let them know I'm not interested
Boring me senseless
Continuously sending the same copy and paste message trying to get my attention
 north-coast
Msg: 47
Posted: 7/16/2011 9:12:57 AM
Usually because of one of these reasons.

1. Rude email.
2. Sends me a "why not?" email after I had rejected him.
 ChiliPequin
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/18/2011 2:03:03 PM
I only blocked one person, and that is because he got very explicit and pushy on a chat without even having met me or spoken with me first. When I called him on it, he accused me of having "no sense of humor" and being "no fun." I told him that I thought it was inappropriate...and he apologized...and started right up again. And proceeded to send me several like e-mails. If you demonstrate a complete lack of respect by resuming after I've told you what isn't acceptable...BLOCK. If you're going to behave that way BEFORE you've even met me....what does that tell you about how you'll behave in person?

If you're looking for a random sex chat, then contact the people who are looking for that. It's pretty obvious I'm not.

Other than that, I haven't had a problem and have not needed to block anyone. I did, however, disable random chat. I don't want to chat unless I've seen your profile, am reasonably sure you've read mine, we've e-mailed prior and there is already some form of communication going.
 casey0413
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/18/2011 3:06:13 PM
If they are nasty when I reply that thank you, I am not interested. And I do reply to anyone who posts something other than 'Hi howz it goin''? NTOH, if it is clear that they have not read my profile, I will not reply either.

Also I blocked a fella who got weird on me about racial issues in chat.
 SexyScribe
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2011 12:14:58 PM
I've blocked a couple for not taking no for an answer.

I've since had to stop replying merely as a courtesy.

I feel bad when someone I'm completely not interested in takes the time to write a long note, but I also don't want to lead them on.

Ideally, a guy should send a simple note first. Hi, nice profile, how's your summer going? Then if I don't reply at least he hasn't spend a lot of time trying to figure a big letter to me. After, I reply once, is when he should make an effort. (not just one line replies though - I don't want to spend a week for six lines of dialogue, total)

I'd like to have a bunch of consolation prizes to send out - like thanks for playing, now be a good sport and try another woman.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What does it take for you to "Block" someone on POF?