Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > They are showing online for hours & says it's not them doing it? It'      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 farceur
Msg: 26
They are showing online for hours & says it's not them doing it? It's automatic honey????Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
This is why even though a tinfoil beanie can't block all the rays, it is still worth wearing one for the rays it can block. I nominate this thread for the POF Hall of Fame.
 REDDRAGON.
Msg: 27
They are showing online for hours & says it's not them doing it? It's automatic honey????
Posted: 9/1/2009 2:39:02 PM

Well... I know a good deal about conserving server time. Do you think that the brilliant Markus, the founder of this site, would allow all of us to just set our computers up to stay automatically logged into the site for hours??? Of does this site work with cookies and if there is a period of inactivity, won't the site just automatically kick you off the server as being logged in? What do you think?

Pssssttt.... I won't be going on another date with that particular "Gentleman." He's a P-L-A-Y-E-R! But that's not the topic of this discussion.

One 3 hour meeting at Starbucks and you are ready to boil the bunny? yikes.
 liefste
Msg: 28
They are showing online for hours & says it's not them doing it? It's automatic honey????
Posted: 9/1/2009 2:42:14 PM
Oh Dear.. I guess this has gone on long enough now. The guy is making excuses and you so desperately want to either prove or disprove. He is just not that into you and has not dared tell you. That is what I read between the lines. You would be wasting your time giving him any more thought.. Move on to someone more deserving of your attention and care!!!
 Real-NotFake
Msg: 29
Posted: 9/1/2009 3:01:06 PM
I'm not a computer whiz; but I do know that my daughter logged into her account here from my laptop at my house and it showed my profile being online... even though I'd not signed in....

I also know that unless you sign out, you can sometimes exit this site, surf a few other sites, check email etc and come back to this site without logging back in; and most likely you'll profile will show you're online when in fact, you kind of were; but not...

anyhow OP wrote:
Pssssttt.... I won't be going on another date with that particular "Gentleman." He's a P-L-A-Y-E-R! But that's not the topic of this discussion

so then what do you care if he was on or not...as you were on too...oh it's just his not telling you the "truth" about it...oh I get it...no wait, really I don't if you'd already determined you weren't going to date him again
 guyd42
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2009 3:28:01 PM
OP, what the hell do you expect? Online dating is like cocaine; it’s an addiction. People become serial and chronic daters. It’s the thrill of who will message you next. I met over 100 women for first date since I joined years ago. Every single one of them was online after I got home! And, yes.... I was always caned after for someone else. Many came back after weeks just to keep me as a backup.... This is a game! Nothing more than adult entertainment. If you can’t help but to take this seriously, you should find another way to meet people since this will not work for you.
 spicynicegirl
Msg: 31
Posted: 9/1/2009 3:31:39 PM
I agree. This is nothing more than a game for alot of people. Those of us that would like to meet a potential partner for a LTR have no chance................I realised that a long time ago so now I just come here for the forums.
 OnlyThis
Msg: 32
Posted: 9/1/2009 3:36:43 PM

Those of us that would like to meet a potential partner for a LTR have no chance........

I really hope that you are wrong...
 guyd42
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2009 3:40:33 PM
onlythis,

I was full of hope from 2003-2008. I had to give up since I was destroying myself. The sad part is, its getting way worse as we get older.
 Bikeman_
Msg: 34
Posted: 9/1/2009 3:44:13 PM

how many of you have a need or desire to have an automatic script associated with your dating site profile so you remain online and refreshed in the POF servers ever 15 minutes? Just like "Good_Chum" said... "What's the point of doing that?"
I'd like to have one. What's the point? It irks me everytime I have to log back on after getting booted.

Question: how does one see on PoF how long someone else has been logged on? Or when they last logged on? The OP seems to know.
 OnlyThis
Msg: 35
Posted: 9/1/2009 3:46:30 PM

how does one see on PoF how long someone else has been logged on? Or when they last logged on?

If they are a favorite, you can see when they are online complete with time stamp.
 Good_Grief_CB
Msg: 36
Posted: 9/1/2009 3:48:01 PM
Hey Spicy,

Don't quit just yet. Wasn't it one of your Prime Ministers who said, "life wasn't meant to be easy."

This online dating is a tough world, but anything gained without a struggle is usually discarded at about the same rate.

Sorry for the thread hijack but I just read Spicy's profile and she seems to have met the worst there is and none of the good ones.

Spicy, go read the success stories, 200 pages tell me there are some good fish out there.
 Helen0426
Msg: 37
Posted: 9/1/2009 4:21:58 PM

I'm sorry... the weird meeter just went off for some reason...

It was weird from the outset. She actually watched his online status for 2 hours - and after one date?

If she really did leave because of the next date, I wish him luck...
 m_church
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2009 4:59:36 PM
On the staying online thing...
Some browsers can automatically 'refresh' web pages after a timed interval...this will register as an activity and reset the inactivity timer... if the timed interval is shorter than the web site's inactivity timeout then you can be online virtually forever, without doing a thing....
 Abbicci
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2009 5:21:48 PM
He made up that story because he felt uber creepy that some broad he spent three hours having a coffee with admitted( without prompting) that she shows every single indicator of a bunny boiling stalking nut bag.

Nothing like telling a man you really don't know that you are crazy jealous and if he continues the relationship he wont be able to have any female friends or smile at waitresses in breakfast joints without you blowing a gasket.

Well played Sister, thanks for making women every where look mental.
 northernexposure888
Msg: 40
Posted: 9/1/2009 6:20:09 PM
When he contacted me this morning, he told me that his computer is set up to "automatically" log him into all of "his" sites.

Actually, this is not difficult to acheive.

He's doing the POF dance, don't ya think?

What? Did he make some solemn promise of eternal monogamy to you on your first date? WTF! Are you insane? Are you a cyber-stalker? Was your father a Nazi? Was your mother a KGB agent? Does your sister drive a pickle wagon?

If I was him I would block you immediately.
 northernexposure888
Msg: 41
Posted: 9/1/2009 6:22:45 PM
There is NO way to automatically log into this site, it takes deliberate action without exception.

Wanna bet?
 spicynicegirl
Msg: 42
Posted: 9/1/2009 6:44:25 PM
Goodchum - thanks for your words of encouragement but I go through stages of being fed up with this place. I have actually joined a better dating site and there seems to be some decent people on there.

I had a guy from here recently admit that he was talking to me and two others at the same time. I had joked with him at one point that he seemed to have taken a while to get back to me (meantime I was reading the forums). He lied at the time and said "Oh it takes a while to jump back online you know". Um no..........he was online the entire time. Liar liar pants on fire.................
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2009 6:44:48 PM
There is NO way to automatically log into this site, it takes deliberate action without exception.

Wanna bet?
I'll take that bet.
 angelitos9
Msg: 44
Posted: 9/1/2009 6:56:08 PM
Its not about the greet and meet and now lets be exclusive. Its be honest. say, yes I was on pof just navigating for fun. Don't create some lie. Be honest. I advice don't date exclusively until you trust your date....that takes more than one date.
 fitandfun78
Msg: 45
Posted: 9/1/2009 7:23:16 PM
Wow, OP, you checked-up on this guy a ridiculous amount of times, then busted his chops over being online after ONE meeting with him? SO WHAT if he was online after you met him, so were you! You were checking up on him, you were checking your mail, maybe he was as well. Maybe he was reading the forums, maybe he was doing other things around the house and occasionally seeing who viewed him, I do the SAME THING when I'm home ... I'm on here, logged-on, for hours and am hardly sitting here staring at the site the whole time.

For goodness sake, you met ONCE, you sat and talked with each other for 3 hours and when you put him on the spot about being online afterwards and questioned him about his online habits, and you're SURPRISED that he lied to you? You must've sounded absolutely crazy confronting him this.

You sound like you have WAY too much spare time on your hands to me ... my suggestion is to stop being so paranoid and investigative until you've at least discussed if you and the man you've met are even an item. Until then, it's fair game on here.
 4408joseph
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2009 7:25:54 PM

I'll take that bet.

Put me down for a Bennie, cause you'll lose..

They are showing online for hours & says it's not them doing it? It's automatic ..

Yep.. in my case...Several ways, but I can't explain it techanically..

First off I leave my computer on for days and weeks at a time.. Now then whenever I am on the computer(meaning at my desk) I always open my pof site...Kinda like pimping myself out... I never log out,, and my window will still open over night...12 hours later many times..

As for the auotmatic thingy..

With verizon/aol 9.1 you have an option that if the computer is turned on ( or like a line interuption..elec etc or just aol plain dropping off)...ALL...I repete ALL open windows(sites) automatically come back on...ebay/pof/ed.line/ etc..

Why pof does not log off I really don't know... The irony is... some....TIMES when I'm in the middle of typing in the forums it will log out...

Also POF will let you (at least through my computer) the site with a dozen windows to the same site... Well at least like 4 for 100% sure never tryed more then 3 or 4..

I know all this for a fact from playing around when a good friend of mine who works late shift use to say .."oh saw you was on at 2 am ...WTF... I went to bed midnight..

Then I was at her house 1/2 hour away..She was logged on on her lap-top...Damn...there it was I was on, and Current this was last summer..

I do surf, minimize windows, and have 1/2 dozen open all at the same time as listen to radio streamlined through australia played through house stero... Can I explain it in technic talk...NO...but any computer whiz that comes to this forum I'd be glad to answer any questions I can..

Gateway 817GM..Windows Vista update....both verizon commercial broadband provider and aol internet service ( I know extra 25/monthly, but I love aol) I can log on dail-up if I like..

Bottom line .... FACT... I leave from my computer hours even over night and still don't need to log on to POF ...Fact.... elctric flashes(lose connection) and all my open windows will automatically open back up...

Joe friday..."just the facts mame"
 77Ryan
Msg: 47
Posted: 9/1/2009 7:47:02 PM
Regardless of whether it CAN be done or not. After meeting you for the FIRST time, he owed you no explanation. Lying was stupid on his part because it was pointless. Personally I would have called you out and asked you why you were so worried about what I was or was not doing.
 ooobaby0007
Msg: 48
Posted: 9/1/2009 8:12:21 PM
LMFAO good lord just when you think you read it all then BOOM you read yet another one that tops the cake....
 LOVESTRUCK_wannabe
Msg: 49
Posted: 9/1/2009 8:14:49 PM
As far as I know the POF server logs people out after a certain amount of time. It's not all that long coz I've tried playing Canasta on a gaming site and keeping both running but POF always times out and I have to log back in again.

The thing that bothers me most about all the concern about whether a date is online or not is because it gets downright silly like some type of 'Spy vs Spy' comic in MAD Magazine.

Or the well worn joke about a guy being a drunk coz another guy sat in the bar himself and watched the first one drink all nite.

I log in all the time whether I've been on a meet and greet or not. I check my mail, my matches, who viewed me, the forums, my favourites, and whether my freaking kids are behaving themselves on here (yeah both of them). So what.
 clasact
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2009 8:19:59 PM

This is why even though a tinfoil beanie can't block all the rays, it is still worth wearing one for the rays it can block.

THE most relevant response to the actual question of this OP.

Good grief!
It was a meet and greet...... it wasn't like he volunteered to give you one of his kidneys OP and you're making sure he's not going to back out and need to keep tabs on him. YIKES!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > They are showing online for hours & says it's not them doing it? It's "automatic" honey????