Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Obama disapproval on health care up to 52 percent      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CountIbli
Msg: 51
Obama disapproval on health care up to 52 percentPage 3 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)

The plan will raise costs"

Prove it... don't just say it... PROVE IT

Have you looked at what he's proposing? He wants to eliminate annual and lifetime caps on insurance coverage. He wants to prevent insurance companies from charging higher rates on people with pre-existing conditions. He also wants to prevent insurance companies from refusing to cover people with pre-existing conditions. He wants to put limits on how much insurance companies can make people pay out-of-pocket.

http://www.healthreform.gov/reports/statehealthreform/massachusetts.html

These "reforms" will cause insurance companies to have higher costs. Do you think that they'll take the financial hit? Neither do I. So either they're going to raise premiums or the government is going to subsidize insurance (which you get the pleasure of paying for on April 15th). If they raise premiums then your company will likely have to pay for much of that increase. Do you think that they're going to take the financial hit? Neither do I. That means that they'll have to raise the cost of their product/service or perhaps lay people off. Once again the people are going to pay for this.
 CountIbli
Msg: 52
Obama disapproval on health care up to 52 percent
Posted: 9/28/2009 9:46:23 PM

Statements on past Republican control of our federal government... are made to suggest that they should take their fair share of responsibility... the long standing conservative right approach of cutting taxes and over spending the budget does not work... 28 years of data proves it with the end result being the state of our economy.

That might be what Republicanism is about, but it's got nothing to do with Conservatism. Or are you one of those poor deluded fool who believed Bush (Jr and Sr) when they claimed to be Conservatives?
 killene
Msg: 53
Posted: 9/29/2009 6:06:35 AM
All of Obama's speeches don't seem to be working for health care. It seems that polls are showing disapproval going up for his health care. In a two month period its gone from a 45% disapproval at the end of July to a now 56% disapproval rating.

Just 41% of voters nationwide now favor the health care reform proposed by President Obama and congressional Democrats. That’s down two points from a week ago and the lowest level of support yet measured.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 56% are opposed to the plan. http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/healthcare/september_2009/health_care_reform
 one eyed jacks
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2009 7:29:02 AM

All of Obama's speeches don't seem to be working for health care. It seems that polls are showing disapproval going up for his health care. In a two month period its gone from a 45% disapproval at the end of July to a now 56% disapproval rating.

And what exactly is the proposal that Obama and congressional Democrats have on the table? It is so confusing with all the politicking going on. I don't think anyone knows exactly whats on the table. Is there a public option proposed? Everything I have read says no, there is not. If thats the case a lot of liberals will not support this plan. If there is a public option conservatives won't. Forcing people to buy junk insurance? I would be against that if I saw it. It is just a windfall for the insurance companies.
Unfortunately there has been so much obstruction from Republicans and conservative Democrats, I fear reform may fail. Too bad, since reform seems to be proposed only once a generation.
The Democrats and Obama have blown this. It shouldn't have been sold as a public option. It should have been sold as Medicare for all.
 etourdi77
Msg: 55
Posted: 9/29/2009 8:08:53 AM
The mistake that Obama and co made is that they tried to make Health Insurance a Government mandate....If you don't purchase Health Insurance under the Baucus Bill the IRS comes after you...that right there is enough to make most people have second thoughts about the plan.Americans like the illusion of freedom of choice...
 one eyed jacks
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2009 8:28:54 AM

The mistake that Obama and co made is that they tried to make Health Insurance a Government mandate....If you don't purchase Health Insurance under the Baucus Bill the IRS comes after you...that right there is enough to make most people have second thoughts about the plan.Americans like the illusion of freedom of choice...

The Baucus plan sucks. It's a windfall for the insurance companies. I guess all those bribes, oh excuse me, contributions from the healthcare industry paid off.

http://thepoliticalcarnival.blogspot.com/2009/07/max-baucus-reels-in-big-healthcare.html

All that lobbying by the industry has sure paid off. For them that is, not the consumer or small business person who tries to give employees health care.

In the past 10 years, premiums for employer-based health insurance rose 120 percent, even as the health care industry spent more than $3.5 billion on lobbying activities.

http://blog.aflcio.org/2009/09/25/are-industry-lobbyists-raising-our-health-care-premiums/

The whole system is corrupt. Those that have the bucks make the rules. The little guy gets screwed.
 laxref41
Msg: 57
Posted: 9/30/2009 2:45:22 PM
These "reforms" will cause insurance companies to have higher costs."

And you know this to be a fact based upon?

What Obama has said... hmmm... nope, Obama claims the money will come from waste, inefficiency and fraud in the current system... and CBO backs up that claim.

"If they raise premiums then your company will likely have to pay for much of that increase. Do you think that they're going to take the financial hit? Neither do I. That means that they'll have to raise the cost of their product/service or perhaps lay people off. "

You must be referring to the 420% increases the insurance companies have already made to premiums over the last 10 years... has your compensation increased by 420% over the past 10 years? This is what has caused this crisis in the first place! They've already raised premiums, they've already caused layoffs and you're already paying through the nose! And now you're proposing we continue that way? How about we create a low cost public option and make these insurance companies compete instead of operating in a state-by-state near monopoly?
And just so the point isn't lost... for 8 of the last 10 years, we've had a republican controlled congress and for 6 of those years we had both a republican president AND a republican controlled congress. So who should bear the responsibility for insurance companies operating in a monopoly and increasing premiums by 420%?
 laxref41
Msg: 58
Posted: 9/30/2009 2:53:58 PM
"AMA membership is comprised in large part of "physicians" who are either retired, teach, or are engaged in research. Using the AMA as representative of practicing physians is like using AARP to determine the position of senior citizens. Neither can claim to accurately protray the opinions of their respective groups."

So the American Medical Association (with its groups like young physicians, group practice, senior physicians and women physicians... all PRACTICING physicians) does not portray the opinions of doctors and the American Association of Retired Persons does not portray the opinions of retired people? Wow... and conservatives claim that liberals drink kool aid! Staggering.
 laxref41
Msg: 59
Posted: 9/30/2009 3:14:45 PM
"All of Obama's speeches don't seem to be working for health care. It seems that polls are showing disapproval going up for his health care. In a two month period its gone from a 45% disapproval at the end of July to a now 56% disapproval rating."

Yes, the Christian / Hitler philosophy adopted by the Christian conservative right does work and I quote...

The receptivity of the masses is unlimited, yet their understanding is feeble. Effective propaganda must be confined to stereotypes (i.e. tax and spend democrats). Always focus people's attention on a single foe (Obama as opposed to hitlers jews). Crude simplifications, endlessly repeated will influence the supple (they'll take your money as opposed to hitlers jewish vermin). For the non-supple, the stubborn, terror is necessary (to the elderly - you'll lose what you have).

Is there any proof of these things... no... but the Christian conservative right has never been big on fact or proof... just take it on faith.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2009 10:10:00 AM

All of Obama's speeches don't seem to be working for health care. It seems that polls are showing disapproval going up for his health care. In a two month period its gone from a 45% disapproval at the end of July to a now 56% disapproval rating

What do you have to say now? The most recent poll shows that things have radically changed since President Obama's address to the joint session of Congress.

The article linked below is indicating that the president has been gaining support from several sectors of the population, especially among senior citizens. So much so that now they are saying that the opposition has mostly been overcome, and the positive numbers are higher than the negatives.

Before his prime-time speech to Congress, 52 percent disapproved of Obama's handling of health care. Now the public is split, with 48 percent approving and 47 percent disapproving.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091007/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_ap_poll_health_care
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2009 4:46:24 PM
OP I feel the medical industry and the insurance industry had decades to do the right thing,its very obvious that shy of a cattle prod they will not.I thank God for Obama,its about time we were brilliant enough to vote for a scholar and a man with a plan that tackles ten major problems all at the same time,he's for the people and the opposite of the past administration.Basically those with insurance that is not excluded from pre existing conditions,or don't have $1500 a month insurance now that they are ill,or one of the tens of millions without because they are excluded because of pre existing conditions or cannot afford insurance ,are happy as can be,all the others are not feeling the love !

From day one I have said the polls now read just like the election,no change at all,those that hated Obama then ,still do,Obama in the election last October/November as shown in 16 major polling places rate from 50% to 55% over McCain,so now, how are you all reading these big meanings into the current polls ,he's still is in a range of 50% to 56% in favor,try to remember half liked the Republican McCain ways and half liked Obamas ways.

General Election: McCain vs. Obama

Polling Data

Final Results --Obama (D) 52.9% McCain (R) 45.6% Obama +7.3 Spread

RCP Average 10/29 - 11/03 -- -- 52.1% 44.5% Obama +7.6
Marist 11/03 - 11/03 804 LV 4.0 52% 43% Obama +9
Battleground (Lake)* 11/02 - 11/03 52% 47% Obama +5
Battleground (Tarrance)* 11/02 - 11/03 50% 48% Obama +2
Rasmussen Reports 11/01 - 11/03 52% 46% Obama +6
Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby 11/01 - 11/03 54% 43% Obama +11
IBD/TIPP 11/01 - 11/03 981 LV 3.2 52% 44% Obama +8
FOX News 11/01 - 11/02 971 LV 3.0 50% 43% Obama +7
NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl 11/01 - 11/02 51% 43% Obama +8
Gallup 10/31 - 11/02 2472 LV 2.0 55% 44% Obama +11
Diageo/Hotline 10/31 - 11/02 50% 45% Obama +5
CBS News 10/31 - 11/02 714 LV -- 51% 42% Obama +9
ABC News/Wash Post 10/30 - 11/02 53% 44% Obama +9
Ipsos/McClatchy 10/30 - 11/02 53% 46% Obama +7
CNN/Opinion Research 10/30 - 11/01 53% 46% Obama +7
Pew Research 10/29 - 11/01 52% 46% Obama +6
 cpfstock
Msg: 62
Posted: 10/9/2009 6:52:12 AM

So the American Medical Association (with its groups like young physicians, group practice, senior physicians and women physicians... all PRACTICING physicians) does not portray the opinions of doctors and the American Association of Retired Persons does not portray the opinions of retired people?

Post less, research more.
 geeleebee
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 6:59:16 AM

Demonstration, please.

So the American Medical Association (with its groups like young physicians, group practice, senior physicians and women physicians... all PRACTICING physicians) does not portray the opinions of doctors and the American Association of Retired Persons does not portray the opinions of retired people?

Yes, it portrays the opinions of many, many Americans, and it's one of the things that will help those same Americans understand the need for HCR.
 cpfstock
Msg: 64
Posted: 10/9/2009 7:10:18 AM

Demonstration, please.

Figured someone would ask. Here is why I am familar with the AMA.

PNEUMOFLEX SYSTEMS LLC is in the Noncommercial Research Organizations industry in MELBOURNE BEACH, FL.

Title: Apparatus and method for self-induced cough cardiopulmonary resuscitation
Patent ID: US7343915
Issue Date: March 18, 2008
PCT Publication Date: January 30, 2003
Abstract:
A apparatus and method for self-treatment of cardiac arrhythmia by a patient, comprising a container sized to be portable by the patient and having therein a chamber containing a medicament composition comprising a pharmaceutically acceptable carrier mixed with a chemoirritant
 geeleebee
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 7:30:30 AM

Demonstration, please.

Figured someone would ask. Here is why I am familar with the AMA.

Oh...gosh...I wasn't asking for research...and, really, I don't care 'why' you're familiar with the AMA...I just really liked the idea of telling someone to 'post less' who thought it was okay to tell someone else to 'post less'...see?
 cpfstock
Msg: 66
Posted: 10/9/2009 7:50:25 AM
Misunderstood you. And perhaps I should have worded it do some research and then post. It's sad really to see how many people respond to issues from an emotional perspective. Usually they're just a reflex. Of course, I guess if you have no real stake in the outcome, then you don't really have to find, analyze, and act on any data.
 clearlykat
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 9:29:09 AM
I think we all have some real stake in the outcome, whether we are in the "medical" business or not. That emotional perspective that you refer to is a very real and justifiable fear on the part of many of being denied healthcare or going broke trying to pay for it. Having spent the majority of my career in pharma, I understand where you are coming from as far as your stake in a medical device. I think everyone in the industry knows change is coming one way or another. The present system is unsustainable.
 EarlzP
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 2:57:46 PM

Misunderstood you. And perhaps I should have worded it do some research and then post. It's sad really to see how many people respond to issues from an emotional perspective. Usually they're just a reflex. Of course, I guess if you have no real stake in the outcome, then you don't really have to find, analyze, and act on any data.

New keyword " emotional" I was very emotional on the day President Obama took office, the real health care poll was taken Nov 09 when the People elected Barack Obama to be the next President, that means that they must have supported his campaign promises Including his promise to reform health care . After months and months of trying to defeat health care reform the republican party of no have not been able to defeat health care reform.

The polls have undoubedly been effected by the distortions, fabrications and lies promoted by the party of NO but When it is all over and said we will have health care reform, the next really significant poll will be in the 2010 senate elections that's when the same people who elected President Obama will go the voting booths they will remember the distortions and fabrications that they were exposed to and the party of no will see the parties presence in the senate reduced even further.
 CountIbli
Msg: 69
Posted: 10/17/2009 12:56:48 AM

What Obama has said... hmmm... nope, Obama claims the money will come from waste, inefficiency and fraud in the current system... and CBO backs up that claim.

Exactly where is this money coming from? How exactly is he going to reduce waste, inefficiency, and fraud?

You must be referring to the 420% increases the insurance companies have already made to premiums over the last 10 years...

Insurance companies only have a 3-4% profit margin. Without the increases in premiums the companies would have gone bankrupt. So instead Obama is going to bankrupt the US.

How about we create a low cost public option and make these insurance companies compete instead of operating in a state-by-state near monopoly?

There is no low cost public option. The public option will add billions, if not trillions, to the nation debt.
 CountIbli
Msg: 70
Posted: 10/17/2009 1:00:21 AM

The polls have undoubedly been effected by the distortions, fabrications and lies promoted by the party of NO but When it is all over and said we will have health care reform, the next really significant poll will be in the 2010 senate elections that's when the same people who elected President Obama will go the voting booths they will remember the distortions and fabrications that they were exposed to and the party of no will see the parties presence in the senate reduced even further.

When they go to the polls they remember that Obama is an empty suit with no clue how to reform health care or fulfill any of his campaign promises. Expect Republicans to make gains in Congress next year.
 EarlzP
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2009 4:18:07 AM
no quote] When they go to the polls they remember that Obama is an empty suit with no clue how to reform health care or fulfill any of his campaign promises. Expect Republicans to make gains in Congress next year.

We will have health care reform by the end of 2009 this will be one of a number of highlights of President Obama's presidency, add to that the honor of being in a country whose President won the Nobel Peace Prize. The voters will remember how the republicans tried to keep a well qualified Latino woman from the supreme court and the way they voted against the rape amendment

The republicans can look forward to losing a few more senate seats, I wonder how many more can they afford to lose?
 laxref41
Msg: 72
Posted: 10/17/2009 8:30:09 AM
"Insurance companies only have a 3-4% profit margin. Without the increases in premiums the companies would have gone bankrupt. "

There in is the nit... insurance companies are forced to increase premiums because health care costs continue to spiral uncontrollably upward... all agree to this fact... and the only way to control such spiralling is a low cost option... be it private or public... but since the net margins aren't there for a low cost private health care company, the only other option we have is a public option... a low level of basic care but nonetheless care for a minimal payment.
Your only alternative is to regulate the health care industry... not the health care insurance industry... but the health care industry... just like regulating utilities.

"So instead Obama is going to bankrupt the US."

Kindly spare us the Christian conservative right unfounded paranoia and fear tactics.
 laxref41
Msg: 73
Posted: 10/17/2009 8:37:57 AM
"He wants to eliminate annual and lifetime caps on insurance coverage. He wants to prevent insurance companies from charging higher rates on people with pre-existing conditions. He also wants to prevent insurance companies from refusing to cover people with pre-existing conditions. He wants to put limits on how much insurance companies can make people pay out-of-pocket."

You're proved ZERO... this is all your own speculation... and i dare say that if you were so good at speculation, you'd have so much money you'd have different political views.

Here's a few FACTS for you... the GOP supports reforms in health care... the GOP agrees that insurance companies should not be allowed to refuse covering people with pre-existing conditions... and the GOP believes the CBO that tremendous savings can be realized through greater efficiency and reduction of fraud in the current health care system.
 laxref41
Msg: 74
Posted: 10/17/2009 8:49:25 AM
"The mistake that Obama and co made is that they tried to make Health Insurance a Government mandate....If you don't purchase Health Insurance under the Baucus Bill the IRS comes after you...that right there is enough to make most people have second thoughts about the plan.Americans like the illusion of freedom of choice..."

The health of the population is absolutely paramount... paramount to even education if you want to have a vibrant and thriving country... and the right to health can not be limited to those with wealth. The level of health care can vary but the availability of some measure of health care... a low level of health care but nonetheless CARE for a low price... is an absolute necessity. And I would propose to you that it's implied in the Declaration of Independence... that your first inalienable right is LIFE...
 laxref41
Msg: 75
Posted: 10/17/2009 8:54:28 AM
"There is no low cost public option. The public option will add billions, if not trillions, to the nation debt."

Joe Wilson and the GOP did not call Obama a liar about the economics... the CBO does not support your claim and the CBO is a bipartisan operation that also represents the GOP. So again... kindly don't hand us unfounded speculation and fear mongering because if you were so good at speculating about what is going to happen, we wouldn't have had a financial meltdown in the first place.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Obama disapproval on health care up to 52 percent