Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Cell phones and the first date      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 readyfornow
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Cell phones and the first datePage 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I don't do it and fully expect that my date doesn't do it either. Its just a sign of rudeness. If she's permanently attatched to a cell phone, there will be no second date.
 DownToEarthLafMan
Msg: 77
Cell phones and the first date
Posted: 10/22/2009 8:49:32 PM
I dont use my cell phone at all when I am around others. I save my phone calls and texts for private moments. I think of it as rude to use it around anyone unless its an emergency.
 RT_2
Msg: 78
Posted: 11/14/2011 3:55:53 PM
I agreed to meet a girl for a first date at a coffee shop she frequents. About 30 minutes into the meeting, her cell phone rang and she answered it after making some polite remark to me. There was just about nothing for me to do while she was on the phone.

Because I don't drink coffee, I couldn't go up to the counter to order anything. If the meeting had been at a sports bar, I could have watched some game on a TV screen or done some male bonding with guys at the bar. No such thing at the coffee shop, mainly a bunch of people on their laptops.

The coffee shop did have one thing a guy might find interesting, something I'm polite enough not to notice while on a date: other girls. When my date answered her phone and began speaking softly to the person on the other end of the line, I looked up from the table, probably rolling my eyes and shaking my head. As I looked up, my eyes met those of a beautiful blonde who was at a table by herself and looking directly at me! The look she gave me was a combination of amusement, sympathy, and pride in her sociological ability to understand what was going on with her people-watching. She didn't look away. I eventually nodded and looked elsewhere around the room.

One thing my date could have done is open a blank browser window on her laptop, push the laptop over to me, and say "Sorry about the distraction, please go online if you want". I realize some people wouldn't want to hand over a computer to someone they're meeting in person for the first time, but it would be a nice gesture that gives the other person something to do.
 BountyHunterMike
Msg: 79
Posted: 11/14/2011 4:05:51 PM
It is rude to keep your cell phone on if your on a date!! Unless u have kids..other than that..not cool...or a family death/accident

Keep cell's in purse or pocket.

I will leave a date if she can't keep off it..How rude
 boarderdad50
Msg: 80
Posted: 11/14/2011 7:17:06 PM
I agree and it goes both ways, however I just take it as a learning experience and they are telling you something about you. If that does not match than its not bad to learn it early vs later. I am very hands off with the phone, people dont expect to get me when they call. I have it near me for when I want to use it but at home, in the office, or on a date it is always on silent and I only check if I think its something to do with the kids.
 mako20
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2011 3:42:51 PM
I agree,,,drives me nuts...if younger kids are home i understand,,,other wise totaly no need to have it if your out to dinner with someone,,,keep it in your bag,,,your there to talk with your date.
 mako20
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2011 3:43:38 PM
I agree,,,drives me nuts...if younger kids are home i understand,,,other wise totaly no need to have it if your out to dinner with someone,,,keep it in your bag,,,your there to talk with your date.
 concertlover31
Msg: 83
Posted: 11/15/2011 3:51:36 PM
i don't care if you DO HAVE CHILDREN. turn it off.

the chances of an emergency on a one hour date are extremely low. the chances that you can do anything to alleviate the emergency by jumping into your car and being there is even lower.

my parents didn't have a cell phone and i'm alive and well.

i don't have a cell phone and i travel from Pittsburgh to Cleveland without one.

i'll walk off an leave a first date there alone on the SECOND CALL THEY ANSWER.
 Arteest1650
Msg: 84
Posted: 11/15/2011 3:54:06 PM
Cell phones are OBNOXIOUS anywhere in public... the world isnt going to end if you dont have it on.... leave it home, or in the car....
 DoubleParked
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2011 4:38:53 PM
When I am socializing with a person who is right in front of me, and I WANT to be with them, I turn my phone OFF. If there happens to be a call I might be waiting for or I'm ' on call' in regard to a child/other issue, I would put it on vibrate and excuse myself to take the call.

However, I am from a generation that did NOT grow up with a phone in my pocket. So, I was educated by my granddaughter, who, when we were at lunch together , would periodically check her phone. When I somewhat testily asked her if she was waiting for some important call, (rather than giving her attention to US), she calmly told me she had to be back to work by one o'clock and was just checking the time!
 cin____dy
Msg: 86
Posted: 11/15/2011 6:28:32 PM
I remember back when you left word with your babysitters where you would be. Cell phones are simply not proper to have on a date. If something bad happens your babysitters should know how to reach you, how to call 911 etc.
If I am on a date and a guy answers his cell phone, I am then saying "take me home".
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 87
Posted: 11/15/2011 6:33:07 PM

WTH is up with people checking their phones throughout a date?

Like accountants are more comfortable with spreadsheets than people; these people are more comfy with phones than people. I had a girl do it on a date with me, and thoght it weas rude. The funny thingis that she was constantly texting ME while she was out with some other dude too!!

*shrugs*

Nice to seem popular, even though you fail to connect with your immediate surroundings so well doing that

Boy, you must be popular

Should have added the words; "seem popular" and "finally hu?"

To me; that would be the same kind of compliment as a girl saying "you're so large" or "you're the best I ever had in bed"
 concertlover31
Msg: 88
Posted: 11/16/2011 9:39:03 AM
some people use cell phones on a date as:

1. a crutch

2. a baby blanket

3. a cigarette

4. a source of security

ever been on a date where the other person is LOOKING AROUND?
same thing. it says "i'm sooo insecure that i need to see if anyone sees me with this person or i'm sooo rude i can't even pay attention to what my new date is saying."

people fail DATING 101 for so many reasons. these are just some.

ps Cowboy sucks
 redsox322
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2011 9:40:09 AM
If I dont like the guy damn right im going to text than I will say bye and move on. No reason to stay on a blind date if the guys a dick
 ricanfreaknphenom
Msg: 90
Posted: 11/16/2011 1:52:56 PM
people are always on their cell phones and theyre just usually trying to look more important than they really are. It annoys me as well
 RadiantSpirit
Msg: 91
Posted: 11/16/2011 4:19:30 PM
I think it is rude to keep checking your phone. I nip to the bathroom and check it LOL However if I was on a date with someone behaving in this manner I would probably pull mine out and start texting and the rest.
 top_hill
Msg: 92
Posted: 12/1/2011 7:09:22 AM
I agree it would be rude for someone to be constantly on the phone during the date. I don't mind the other person sending a quick text or having a brief phone conversation. When I'm on a date and someone calls, I would check to see who called. I will only answer the phone for a very small amount of people. If it's not an emergency, I would call them back later. Besides it's highly unlikely I would get many calls during a date. I might get 1-2 calls at the most. Depending on how long the date lasted. If someone lost interest in me simply because I was on the phone for a minute. Then so be it. Most likely I wouldn't be compatible with someone who is that rigid anyways.
 WinstonDoubtfire
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2011 7:28:41 AM
My phone doesn't leave my pocket on any date. It stays on vibrate, and if I get multiple back to back calls, I'll excuse myself and go check it out.
 Archangel_07
Msg: 94
Posted: 12/1/2011 7:31:00 AM
Cell phones and the first date:

I find it rude and it's my major number 1 pet peeve on a date when people answer their cellphones on a date. It's plain ignorant, rude and disrespectful because you are taking the time to meet and the least that can be done is ACT RIGHT. Which means while the person is with you till the end of the date, socialize with them and put away your cell, unless it's kids or family calling I can understand but come on ACT RIGHT. Put it on silent or vibrate and check after the date. Don't even get me started oops too late...

In Toronto on Tuesday I was dying of laughter in my head about how so many people are with their cells in hand sitting down checking every update on their cells. I saw like 10 people on one bench in the mall and all of them had cell in their hands checking so hard. Comes to show what cell phones do to ya * smh *
 nikkisenko
Msg: 95
Posted: 12/1/2011 6:27:14 PM
I have two cell phones, my personal one and my work one. The one for work has to be checked when it goes off. Sometimes, it is just text messages with information. But, if I get a call, someone has gotten hurt and I HAVE to take it right away.

My personal cell is my communication with the kids. Now, my children know when I am headed off to a date. I'm ok with a quick text if they have a question about something. But, if I started getting slaughtered with texts/calls from them, we would have a serious conversation when I got home. To date, they have always respected my time away.

Frankly, I don't get a ton of messages on either one. But, there has been the occasional evening where issues are constant. Regardless, I will at least check the phone to see who it is or what is going on. Mindless chatter etc. does not get a response from me.

To me, it isn't an either or situation. It is moderation. I would expect the same from my date.
 Maleman999
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2011 7:23:39 PM
I don't care what excuse you use for having a cell phone almost surgically attached to your body. If you can't survive a couple hours without it, you aren't dating material. Stay home and cuddle with your crackberry and wait for messages.

nikkisenko:
I have two cell phones, my personal one and my work one. The one for work has to be checked when it goes off.

If you are married to your job and not allowed any "you" time, don't consider dating until you are retired.
 top_hill
Msg: 97
Posted: 12/2/2011 6:21:41 AM

I don't care what excuse you use for having a cell phone almost surgically attached to your body. If you can't survive a couple hours without it, you aren't dating material. Stay home and cuddle with your crackberry and wait for messages.

I'm not interested in dating someone with this attitude either. There is a huge difference between constantly using the phone and briefly checking the phone 1 or 2 times during the date. The former is a distraction. The latter doesn't cause me to lose my focus and concentration on a date.

Suppose I'm on a date. A man answers his phone and has a conversation for about 30 seconds or a minute. Then he states "I'm on a date. I will call you back later". I don't have a problem with that. Perhaps he is like me and only answers his phone for a small amount of people. He will call them back if it's non-emergency situation.
 ohenryx
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2011 8:21:37 AM
I think top_hill has a very reasonable attitude about this. As the ancient Chinese philosopher said, "All things in moderation."

Young people who can't stop texting to save their lives, yes, that's rude.. People who would have a long phone conversation while out on a date, yes, that's rude. Answering the phone once or twice, having a very brief conversation, and apologizing for the distraction -- no problem, at least for me.
 AxYoM
Msg: 99
Posted: 12/2/2011 8:48:08 AM
I've seen several posts where people say if it is children or family, but no one who has complained mention if they were on the date with a single parent. I will check my phone if it is family. One of the easiest ways to do that is to put it on silent and glance at the pictures or names. I always verify with my date if that is okay.

If it is an online first meeting, I may have a safety check in.

Once I was waiting for a call from the power company, no power for days because of storms. I even let that go to VM. My date knew I had no power at the house for the past 2 days.

If it bothers you, why not just say something to that person? They may not be aware that you find it annoying.
 hoyos
Msg: 100
Posted: 12/2/2011 8:56:49 AM
Life was so much simpler before cell phones.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Cell phones and the first date