Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Shoulder      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 arwen52
Msg: 24
view profile
History
ShoulderPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)

Arwen, it is my opinion that I have strained the ligaments/tendons in that area. I am somewhat of an addict when it comes to the gym. I did curls today and try as I may to isolate, I still roughed up the shoulder a bit. Not bad though, healing IS occuring.

That's what it sounded like. Listen, tendons can be slow to heal and ligaments even slower. Don't strain them even more before they're healed. Be careful because second injuries can take a looong time.

Something that can help if there's no inflammation: friction the affected tendons/ligaments. To do this, take the pads of your fingers and rub over the area, back & forth, with very little or no lubricant so you aren't gliding over the skin, you're moving the skin over the tissue underneath. Do it for a few minutes, you can do it every day as often as three times a day. Friction is good for tendons & ligaments. Do Not do this if you have inflammation.

Good luck and give it a rest, buddy. Even curls are going to strain your A/C joint. What do you think is stabilizing your arm? Your upper arm, of course. And where are those upper arm muscles attaching? Right around that joint. Take care!

By the way, the guy who said strength training was bad for you should read Strong Women Stay Young by Miriam Williamson (I think that's her last name). It's the results of a year long study done at Tufts University on the effects of strength training and post-menopausal women. Strength training done right is very good for you. They've also done studies with elderly people who were in nursing homes, some of whom couldn't get out of a chair unassisted, and every one of them improved with strength training. Trouble is, some people either don't know what they're doing (I'm not accusing you of this, OP, just see it a lot) or get overambitious and hurt themselves. But strength training has documented benenfits.
 JWG86
Msg: 25
Shoulder
Posted: 10/5/2009 12:24:02 AM
Yes, yes indeed Arwin. Curls did hurt, but I tried to isolate as much as I could and didn't stress it much at all. Have been taking hot baths, etc. Doing leg day more, lol. This sucks.
 zarathustra00
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Shoulder
Posted: 10/5/2009 3:38:36 PM
Have you ever tried ART (active release therapy) ? That did wonders for my shoulder issues at the time.
 JWG86
Msg: 27
Shoulder
Posted: 10/5/2009 4:21:44 PM
^Tell me more?

Was just browsing your myspace photo's the other day feeling jelous as hell and wishing my 5'10 and 175# looked more like yours.
 etourdi77
Msg: 28
Shoulder
Posted: 10/5/2009 6:54:59 PM
Shoulder injuries are tricky...only certain movements will hurt them...stay away from incline for a while most people I know who have shoulder injuries feel that particular exercise more than most others,,,switching to dumbbells is a smart move another thing that will help is when you do flat bench or incline in the future have someone unrack the weight for you....90lb dumbells at 175 is a good weight despite what all these "Strong" people are saying....lol When my shoulders hurt I will switch to dumbells and cables only for a few workouts then add back in the barbell workout elements....
 zarathustra00
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Shoulder
Posted: 10/5/2009 7:07:05 PM
Thanks, man.
Active release therapy is a type of deep soft tissue massage/ manipulation accompanied by specific movement over a range of motion that you'll be directed by the ART masseuse. Can be quite painful but does work.
And agreed, 90lb presses is really good for guys our weight. Personally I prefer the barbell because getting the dumbells into position in the first place is a pain and then putting them down as well.
 zarathustra00
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Shoulder
Posted: 10/6/2009 4:30:31 AM
By the way, if you're doing laterals to hit the medial delts, be careful. While 'the bodybuilding way' often suggested is to bring the dumbells with as much abduction as possible and with a slight pronation of the wrist (so pinky is higher than thumb), this motion might actually cause impingement. Supposedly safer is to keep the arms 30 degrees in front of you and thumbs toward the ceiling (palms facing one another) though this does activate more of the anterior deltoids and less from the medial delts.
 JWG86
Msg: 31
Shoulder
Posted: 10/15/2009 10:36:15 PM
Chiropractor said I stressed/partially tore ligaments attatching clavicle to shoulder. He gave 8 weeks until I am back at full-steam and moved the clavicle back into place more than when I had arrived. Am going back to see him saturday to see if any more movement can occur. He has told me bench is fine, just don't do anything that physically hurts and it will be okay. If it hurts, go lighter.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Shoulder