Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why is there a rush to meet people from online chat and e-mails?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BlueeyePat
Msg: 26
Why is there a rush to meet people from online chat and e-mails?Page 2 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Over the weekend I had two dates which turned out to be wonderful.
At first I was nervous once I met Rich the butterflies were gone.
We talked a few times before meeting. Had fun bowling.
Bruce and I talked a few times on the phone,
had an awesome time when we met.
Look forward to a second date.
 afashionlady
Msg: 27
Why is there a rush to meet people from online chat and e-mails?
Posted: 1/12/2010 4:45:48 AM
It's not just men my dear. But that guy wanted to perhaps hit it. That's him--you can't generalize and say men.

Why did he get mad? He wanted to hit it or see if he could and you weren't having any of it. Be glad you found out early and move on.

And honestly--IF there is an interest in email, I may very well volunteer my phone number after a day or 2. If it's safety you're worried about and are calling from a landline, well block your outgoing call #. I have a cell phone as my only phone and I'm not listed so you can't google the # to find out more. Plus...if you do decide to talk to the guy on the phone, he can't reach through it and get you. Also, if your home phone is listed, pony up the money to get it unlisted. I always shake my head when women (mostly) say this and don't realize that phone companies have been offering to keep you unlisted for years. It's not about hiding anything--that is a safety measure.

Bottom line is that if there's a "spark" as some people like to call it, meet for coffee or a drink or whatever. This is online dating--you are not obligated to do anything more or less than what you want to do.
 Chasing~Cars
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/12/2010 4:50:53 AM

It's not always an option to have a friend on stand-by. And I told one guy I'd meet him but I was bringing a friend along so we'd be comfortable. He got mad and accused me of being immature and needing a babysitter.

Sorry OP, I agree that this is childish, what are you like 14 or something? What it seems to me is that you have your own insecurities and by keeping the distance, you stay in control, a sheltered control, dating requires taking some risks, it doesn’t always go on your time schedule. Some of us don’t want all this drama for no purpose. As has been said, he showed his true colors, but I will also argue that you too did. Even in the “just emailing” phase there are two players and the lack of communication was also on you.

Meeting sooner rather than later was a style I also evolved to because I learned rather quickly that your mind can run way to far in one direction without validation. What’s the point of building up an illusion and then being crushed by the reality? Most of us have been down this road and it seems that most eventually want to meet sooner rather than later.

As far as safety goes, it works both ways, men are at risk too and while their risks might not seem as such to you because you may only see the physical difference, but I can assure you that men have had there share of close calls too, I know I have. Meet someplace open and public, give yourself time but know you can leave when ever you want to.
 Zuglo
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/12/2010 5:06:50 AM
Guess some people call it rushing things, some people saying let's get that out of the way, see if there is any kind of chemistry, does she/he looks a same as in a picture?
As some poster said, we won't agree on it..I ask for a meeting kind of soon..
Getting mad, yeah that was a bad sign..I wouldn't get mad..
But I would wonder why she won't meet, public place, during daylight..Hm.
Bringing a friend??? LOL..I don't know if I would go for it..
 myrgth
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2010 5:24:36 AM
"What's the rush, we've been e-mailing for a little while and still didn't really know a whole lot about each other and what we're looking for, etc..."

If someone said that to me, I would discontinue talking to them as well. Just the way it's worded is unsavory.

Instead, why not be more positive and say, "I would enjoy meeting you in the near future, after we get to know each other a little more."

The first sounds like you are just looking for some type of on line relationship that will consist of endless emails. The second sounds like you are more than happy to progress once you feel comfortable.

What is the safety concern? I mean, really? You meet someone in a public, well lit place that has lots of people. You don't click, you don't meet again. It's really not that complicated or scary.

It doesn't sound to me like he got mad, he just chose to discontinue talking with someone who would be a waste of his time due to lack of compatibility.
 RonnieB77
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/12/2010 6:04:53 AM
Well, if you are serious about actually finding a girlfriend or boyfriend than one quick lunch or coffee is worth all the photos and emails in the world.

I have never met a person off a dating site. But I used to be into a high risk sport and welcomed my fellows from around the world to come stay at my house when they were in the states checking out the scene in different locations. Some of these people I had been emailing for years and half the time they were not who I expected from the emails at all.

So if a person is serious about online dating. I think after two or three emails it is time to actually meet somewhere or admit you are just here to find email pals.
 RushLuv
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/12/2010 7:00:15 AM

What’s the point of building up an illusion and then being crushed by the reality?

You made a good point, but that might not be the case for some people.

Is wasting too much time on emails, a waste of time? Yes. Particularly if plans of meeting has been established. But I don't think everyone has that notion, that if two individuals quickly meet, they won't be wasting their time just in case that person isn't what they want to be involved with.

Personally, I prefer to meet men on my own terms. Not on his. That doesn't I am going to waste his time.

If a woman is being pressured into meeting a man, I'd say it wouldn't be a good idea for her to meet him.

For instance, I was recently being pressured by a guy, just to get me to meet him and the funny thing is that he was expecting us to meet at night, even after I told him that I only meet men during the day.

I dropped that and very quickly, seeing as how he was disrespectful and completely disregarded what I told him.

The point I'm trying to make, is that I believe some people have bad intentions.

I understand that this is online dating, and there are risks, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with being cautious.
 Spoken For
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2010 7:18:21 AM
Because it's usually a huge waste of everyone's time to email for weeks on end, and then to meet. by the time you do meet, your expectations of each other are so high, the actual meeting is a let-down, because you won't be what he expected, or he won't be what you expected, or BOTH. Why spend weeks emailing with someone, only to find out that there's no chemistry in person? I would want to meet someone within a few days of first contact, to see if there's any point in continuing.
 whenwillthiswork26
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2010 7:56:40 AM
I want to meet after at least three good chats if they live
nearby. I have had a couple of guys I chatted with several times
who displayed psychotic behavior in the chats ( on the phone)
after a time and I was so glad I didn't meet them.

I do think in your case you dodged meeting someone who
is very rude.

I do not often meet people from online but if I do I want to
have a very good sense of who they are first.
I tried the fast meeting approach at first and had some
unpleasant experiences with lunatics.
 Samantha44
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/12/2010 8:13:41 AM
If you are too afraid then perhaps you should not be dating.....period. Whether you meet online or in reality there is never any guarantees....its called life and taking a few chances. Taking your friend on a first date is very immature if I do say so myself. There is one thing to cautious and then there is just plain sillyness.....

I'm all for meeting soon....I'm with the others on this why invest time with someone only to be let down because he was nothing like you had envisioned in your mind. Get the first meeting out of the way and take it from there.....

"Feel the fear and do it anyway"
 ea®ly
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/12/2010 8:22:28 AM
Bottom line, why do men want to rush women into meeting them. And why do they get mad when you're in no hurry to meet them after chatting and e-mailing a day or two?

Aside from taking exception to the "why do men" loading of the question, ...I for one would prefer at least a month of honest communication before I would emotionally invest in even just a first meeting. How someone thinks and what's important to them figures high in whether I would be attracted to them, and these things can be delved into at great depth without actually meeting, ...meeting is however, a must, ...obviously.

aaamm
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/12/2010 8:58:09 AM
I'm in the wait to meet camp. Get to know the person a bit because I have found that they often weed themselves out. You catch them in lies, you hear how they treat their pet/friend/family, and a number of different things. Emailing takes a few seconds, a date normally lasts a few hours getting ready, going, and coming home. To me it is saved time weeding men out.

I don't believe in this lets meet and see if there is chemistry right away crap. I want to know what their likes, hobbies, activities, etc. are before we meet. I want to know we have things in common. I want to be able to have a conversation with the person.

But lets face it, it takes a really long time to truly know anyone.
 savepolarbears
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/12/2010 9:18:33 AM
For some people, dating(and having fun later on) is their life purpose.
 Chasing~Cars
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/12/2010 9:21:37 AM

I'm in the wait to meet camp. Get to know the person a bit because I have found that they often weed themselves out. You catch them in lies, you hear how they treat their pet/friend/family, and a number of different things. Emailing takes a few seconds, a date normally lasts a few hours getting ready, going, and coming home. To me it is saved time weeding men out.

To some extent, I'm actually in agreement with this statement, but I find a better way to weed before the meet is the phone! A chat or two reveals far more than a long planed out email that has been thought over before send is hit. I have always been amazed at how well, or not well some write and when the real voice is heard how different the conversation actually goes.

As far as the people who say "I meet on my terms" that's fine, but then again, I don't see much room for compromise, haven't even met and you have them jumping through your control hoops! A relationship is compromise if nothing else, so should the first meet be.
 somephxguy
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/12/2010 9:32:25 AM

why do men want to rush women into meeting them

Because some men want to date. They want a relationship with a person, not their technology.
Maybe you feel they are rushing, but they don't.

Supposedly (IMO) the profile is supposed to be enough information to determine if there is any point in simply meeting one another for live conversation over coffee.
If someone doesn't fill out their profile then IMO they should take a lot of time with email/phone.

Some people take their profile too seriously while the other person takes it as worth too little.
Some spend a ton of time on it, and to have someone come along and say "well, that's worth a couple of emails, but I don't want to take the time to really read into it" then they don't feel appreciated for their effort.

why do they get mad when you're in no hurry to meet them after chatting and e-mailing a day or two?

Maybe some you see as getting mad, but they aren't mad they are just moving on.
If they actually are getting mad and attacking you then it's probably because they see you as a means to get what they want. And you don't give them what they want when they want it, so they have a tantrum.

Maybe because they are simply frustrated at having to constantly experience people that need a pseudo relationship and false sense of security before being "deemed" worthy of an hour (in their head).
 packagedealx3
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2010 9:43:03 AM
People have different comfort levels and agendas. Many people, I only talk to men about this so perhaps there are women that are this way too, that seem to want to meet instantaneously because you actually returned an e-mail. Often the profile questions what one would have in common, and personally, I don't really want to talk to someone I know nothing about on the phone nor do I want to meet someone I have barely spoken with.

The dates I have been on that were actually uncomfortable were with people I hadn't talked to much e-mail or on the phone prior to that first meeting. I have had several men ask if I wanted to chat at the second e-mail and it tickles me, hellooo, e-mails are chatting but um no, I don't really want to talk on the phone just yet when you have said not more than two full lines of e-mail added together.

Safety isn't an issue because first meets take place in populated secure public spaces. No one will know my address and I don't give out my land line. I also use my middle name while my phone is listed in my first name so again, no one would find me via the white pages. Just consider all of those people incompatible, they will find someone interested in meeting more quickly just as you will find someone comfortable waiting a bit like you.
 wild heart
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/12/2010 9:49:15 AM
I'm in the "ask some important questions" and then meet line.

I try to get some major ones out of the way before meeting. But as CW pointed out, in the real world we meet someone on a Friday and go out on the Saturday with them. It could take me about 2-5 emails to get that information. The harder it is to get the information, the less I want to meet them.

There is a man I am corresponding with (since right before xmas). I could not meet him before since I was leaving for home, then when I got back I got food poisoning and then a cold. Suffice it to say, I've been feeling kinda like he might think I'm playing games. I usually don't like to wait this long. However, I have asked him for his number twice (so we could at least chat since we couldn't meet) and he has not provided it. When I expressed to him that I was sorry that we had not met as yet, he replied "there is no deadline".

I thought that since we couldn't go out, we could at least touch base by phone. Is it strange that he doesn't wish to do this? Some male friends have indicated yes because they would work that way to find out if a woman was serious. What say?
 ChocolateNutt
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2010 9:49:35 AM
I don't know why you'd want to be wait to meet someone. I like to meet them very quickly so you know if you find that person attractive physically, and you can tell a LOT more about a person from communicating face to face than through typed words. There's nothing worse than emailing back and forth to someone only to find out in person he's nothing like he portrays in his profile or in online communication.

There's nothing unsafe about meeting someone in a well-lit, busy, public venue. I often meet at a restaurant, coffee shop or lounge. You can have a conversation over a nice drink and get true vibes from the person.

I would think that man, having messaged back and forth for a period of time, didn't want to be stuck investing his time and emotions in someone who is likely to keep them dangling on the end of the fishing line.

Nutt
 aaamm
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/12/2010 10:05:44 AM
I agree about talking on the phone, I guess I didn't say that. Just emails you can't hear them yelling at their kid/dog/whatever. I also couldn't stand one guy's southern accent. I couldn't meet him.

I think some people have more time to waste meeting people they don't know than I do. I want to know what their likes are etc. Geez, going out with someone that only wants to sit home night after night, gahhhhh put a bullet in my head! Of course some men lie about their activities too...
 kpooks
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2010 10:12:14 AM
Because, if we don't meet, it fizzles out-! Maybe it'll still fizzle out anyway, but at least we've met, so we can determine whether we like hanging out with each other. Typing is nice but doesn't show a person's entire personality in the way physical appearance and body language, interest in the eyes, warmth, sex appeal, animal magnetism, imagination, etc. (or lack thereof) does in person-!
 Just_2_b_me
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/12/2010 11:56:54 AM
When I was still “fishing” I figured by the third email we should be exchanging phone numbers, by the third phone call we should be planning to meet, if not … NEXT.

My time is valuable and I was looking to actually “DATE” not just exchange emails or phone calls forever ….

I found a lot of women just seemed to want a pen pal, but wouldn’t admit it, so you wasted untold amounts of time.

Some seemed to want to chat, either online or on the phone for hours at a time, on a regular basis, but even after a couple of weeks they still didn’t want to or wouldn’t agree to meet.

After a while you start to get the feeling they are hiding something, or they have no intention of ever meeting and are using you just to amuse themselves.

After all, how are you going to know if there is chemistry, or that ever elusive spark, neither of which come across in emails or phone calls if you do not meet, how are you going to meet your soulmate if you never actually meet, isn’t the whole idea when you get right down to it, “to meet someone” ????

I don't believe in this lets meet and see if there is chemistry right away crap. I want to know what their likes, hobbies, activities, etc. are before we meet. I want to know we have things in common.

I do agree with this, but I’m pretty sure after three emails and three phone calls I should know enough about you to know if I want to meet or wish to move on.

I want to be able to have a conversation with the person.

Yea, me too, a real conversation face to face because that’s when you actually start to know someone,

desert rat 2010
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/12/2010 12:09:23 PM
I like to meet soon just to verify that she's not just another California flake. If two people are really serious about meeting someone this should not be an issue. On the flip side, a woman who wants to meet soon could be a professional dater, so a guy has to use some common sense.
 startle
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/12/2010 12:31:13 PM
you could spend months emailing and not have a clue who you are really chatting with...i have spoken to men on the phone and been completely surprised when i saw them in person...talking to someone on the phone is nothing like talking to them in person...as far as finding out what they are looking for...show them the goods in person and see what they think...and see what you think...there is something about seeing a person and looking them in the eye that tells you everything you need to know...
 aaamm
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/12/2010 12:37:44 PM

there is something about seeing a person and looking them in the eye that tells you everything you need to know
Wow, shallow city or what? I look at photos that are proof of life, that the can say are recent. Talking to someone and emailing enough you can find out about the inside person, likes, dislikes, what they do for fun etc. If you only judge on the outside when you first meet, what a bunch of useless first dates and second. I don't like wasting that kind of time. You can get to know people on the phone and through emails, if you think you can't, I am guessing there are communication problems and the relationship won't work period.
 padman57
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/12/2010 1:17:12 PM
I like to meet ASAP. Sometimes it's not possible and I'm not going to push someone into something they aren't comfortable with, so I do have some leeway. But I will lose interest in a penpal quickly.

I would be very leery about meeting someone with a friend in tow. It would be hard to figure out who I was talking to and who was scrutinizing my every move. If you're worried about safety, there are steps you can take (I'm sure there are threads on the subject here).
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why is there a rush to meet people from online chat and e-mails?