Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > How long would it take for the Earth to get rid of the clues of our t      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wanderer1999
Msg: 26
view profile
History
How long would it take for the Earth to get rid of the clues of our technology? Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
If you're talking archaelogically preserved things like fossilized items/remains, you could easily be talking hundreds of millions of years. For example, how long would a silicon chip be recognizable if it became fossilized? I suppose it depends on who is looking.

If you're talking obvious features, well it depends on how obvious and what part of the world you're talking about.

Las Vegas might be covered over in Sand, but a good imaging satellite would still spot the evidence of roads, aqueducts and other infrastructure footprints for many 10's if not 100's of thousands of years.

And then if you're talking about the junk we left on the Moon or in Space, who knows?

Wanderer
 Light Storm
Msg: 27
view profile
History
How long would it take for the Earth to get rid of the clues of our technology?
Posted: 1/26/2010 8:03:15 AM

There is a really cool documentary made on this very question....

The answer was, after 50,000 years, the only existence left of man would be the pyramids, and maybe mount Rushmore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rICDyxt5VQ8

Check it out, it's really good :)
 yankeebackinthe north
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/26/2010 10:08:01 AM
This question makes we think that just in case humanity disappears, we should build a way bigger pyramid than the pharohs did, if we can figure out how. Then there is that seed bank somewhere up in the Netherlands, I think, that is designed to preserve seeds of every known plant thing, and can withstand a nuclear blast. I didn't know a silicon chip could fossilize.
 Teddymunch
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/26/2010 8:01:18 PM
When you talk about nuclear activities leaving traces behind I am left to wonder: Isn't nuclear activities common place in the universe, would they really know that the leftovers wasn't just left over from natural occurrence?

This question makes we think that just in case humanity disappears, we should build a way bigger pyramid than the pharohs did, if we can figure out how. Then there is that seed bank somewhere up in the Netherlands, I think, that is designed to preserve seeds of every known plant thing, and can withstand a nuclear blast.

I am reminded of an episode of Star Trek where they found a computer system left behind by an ancient race. I always figured that it would be a cool remnant. I don't know if we have the necessarily technology to build something that would stand the test of time but a lot of information could be left behind that way.

Such an encyclopedia could prove very useful if say it was society that would break down and bring us back to the stone age. I don't know if that is at all possible but I sure have heard of the thought.
 wanderer1999
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2010 9:59:12 PM
Probably not fossilize in the classic sediment sense... but encased in Amber, sure.

Though if we really wanted evidence of our existence to remain indefinitely, just carve a really big happy face on the Moon =P.

Wanderer
 yankeebackinthe north
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/27/2010 11:49:24 AM
So perhaps future civilizations may discover the "Silicon Tar Pits".
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > How long would it take for the Earth to get rid of the clues of our technology?