Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  > What has gotten you concerned with Politics?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 matchlight
Msg: 1073
view profile
History
The real cost of educationPage 44 of 44    (4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44)

It's understanding what the Pursuit of Happiness really means. It's opportunity, given to all because we are free to act on what we desire, but all individuals are not equal, and will not all be able to succeed at what they want.

JD, it's good to see you back on here--hope everything's going well.

You hit it right on the head. You may know that John Locke had listed "life, liberty, and property" as inalienable rights we're all created with, and that in the Declaration, Jefferson purposely changed "property" to "the pursuit of happiness." And he meant happiness in the earlier sense of good fortune or prosperity.

It points up how much at odds leftists who push for equal *outcomes* instead of equal *opportunities* are with the ideas this country was founded on. They're in the wrong country. Equal outcomes are more what the French Revolution was about, and later what the Soviet Union was supposed to be about.
 fzrhusker
Msg: 1074
The real cost of education
Posted: 3/14/2011 7:38:25 AM
Jefferson admired Epicurus and owned eight copies of De rerum Natura (On the Nature of Things) by Lucretius, a Roman disciple of Epicurus. In a letter Jefferson wrote to William Short on October 13, 1819, he declared, “I too am an Epicurean. I consider the genuine doctrines of Epicurus as containing everything rational in moral philosophy which Greece and Rome have left us.” At the end of the letter, Jefferson made a summary of the key points of Epicurean doctrine, including:

Moral.—Happiness the aim of life.
Virtue the foundation of happiness.
Utility the test of virtue.

Properly understood, therefore, when John Locke, Samuel Johnson, and Thomas Jefferson wrote of “the pursuit of happiness,” they were invoking the Greek and Roman philosophical tradition in which happiness is bound up with the civic virtues of courage, moderation, and justice. Because they are civic virtues, not just personal attributes, they implicate the social aspect of eudaimonia. The pursuit of happiness, therefore, is not merely a matter of achieving individual pleasure. That is why Alexander Hamilton and other founders referred to “social happiness.” During this political season, as Americans are scrutinizing presidential candidates, we would do well to ponder that.
 JackDiamond312
Msg: 1075
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2011 9:12:36 AM

JD, it's good to see you back on here--hope everything's going well

Hey Match, it is nice to come back and at least voice in some way, those things I believe. Living with mom especially as I just turn 55 years old was not my idea of the pursuit of happiness, but sometimes we take a step back before we can step forward. It's been a mixed blessing though, my moms health has gotten bad, and I am here to be able to help her, plus my sister is a body builder and Trainer, so I have been working out lifting every day, getting those bumps back on my body... you know, muscles.

Where I may be lacking coinage in my pocket, I have been fortunate to be able to study, research and write. Our Country has come to a cross road, the road is a wide one that engulfs the entire world, but what we do here, within even the next two years, will have an effect on the entire world.

It's funny how Dec. 21 2012 really will be a date that will determine the outcome of this way of life as we know it, not the end of the world, but the end of some sort of cycle. Our Presidential election in 2012, will determine which road we choose to take.

I believe it will be one of the most important decisions we as Americans will ever make.

But that's me.
 fzrhusker
Msg: 1076
Posted: 3/20/2011 8:03:16 AM
Why Aren’t Arab States – Instead of the U.S., France and Britain – Taking Care of Libya?

Washington’s Blog
March 20, 2011

Gaddafi is a lying psychopath who is slaughtering his own people.

So is the imposition of a no-fly zone a good thing?

Perhaps. The Arab League called for it. And even some Libyan rebels pleaded for imposition of a no-fly zone.

But if someone is going to stop Gaddafi, it should be Arab League nations – like Saudi Arabia, which is armed to the teeth.

America should not be involved, because:

* Most Americans are strongly against U.S. intervention in Libya

* America was already involved in 2+ wars costing the U.S. many trillions of dollars (Nobel prize winning economist Joseph Stiglitz says that the Iraq war alone will cost $3-5 trillion dollars.) Indeed, America’s engagement in multiple wars is bankrupting our country – despite the claims by the military Keynesians

* We are creating more terrorists than we’re stopping by bombing and invading Arab countries

* And both conservatives like Ron Paul and liberals like Dennis Kucinich have pointed out that American intervention is unlawful without a Congressional resolution of war … which no one bothered to ask for

So I don’t care whether or not someone imposes a no-fly zone or takes out Gaddafi … but the U.S. shouldn’t be the one to do it, even as part of a coalition with France and Britain.

Indeed, Gaddafi has accused the efforts by the three former colonial powers – U.S., France and Britain – as being “neo-colonial” aggression and a “crusade“.

If Arabic countries were the ones to intervene, Arabs wouldn’t be able to make those charges.

And if Arab countries are not willing to intervene themselves, that speaks volumes as to their true priorities … especially since Saudi Arabia just sent 1,000 troops to Bahrain to help the tyrants in that country brutally put down a pro-democracy protest.
 matchlight
Msg: 1077
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2011 4:08:51 PM
I'm not sure why Libya's internal affairs affect U.S. interests. Nobody seemed to think Ghadaffi was any great threat for a long time before this resistance began. Why did he suddenly become one then? This president is even more feckless than Jimmy Carter--he's now managed to get into this too late, and with no clear way to get out of it.

A no-fly zone won't do that much--imposing one for ten years over most of Iraq was mostly just an annoyance to Saddam. And even while the n0-fly zone was in effect over the south of Iraq, he still was able to slaughter God knows how many Shiites there.

So apparently the plan includes attacks on tanks, artillery, etc. Ghadaffi might move east to attack the insurgents. But the Libyan military would probably have some antiaircraft weapons going along to protect them. What's Mr. Obama prepared to do, I wonder, if a plane or helicopter's lost and crewmen captured?
 pirateheaven
Msg: 1078
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2011 12:10:11 AM
I do not know why we are in Libya either . Obama and his foreign policy dolts have messed up again.
 fzrhusker
Msg: 1079
Posted: 3/23/2011 6:51:22 AM
Time to clean out congress again, both dems and repubs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aji9ZKevipU&feature=player_embedded#at=234

Hypocrite Biden Threatened Bush Impeachment Over Unconstitutional War

March 23, 2011

How things change. In 2007, then presidential hopeful Biden stated unequivocally that he would work to impeach Bush if he bombed Iran without first gaining congressional approval. Now Biden is dutifully ringing up the royalty in United Arab Emirates and cajoling them to support Obama’s unconstitutional war waged on Libya and kicked off without congressional approval.

Joe didn’t mean it in 2007, of course. He was running for president, after all. The hand-picked minions of the elite who are permitted to pretend they will run the country always tell lies. It’s in their job description. Most Americans understand elections are all about promising the moon and delivering nothing but an IOU. Still, they turn out to vote for these guys.

The elite and their brokers at the United Nations wanted this shabby little war waged against Libya. Biden is simply taking orders, as usual. It does not matter an iota what he said in 2007. And the corporate media, of course, will not hold him to that comment.
 pirateheaven
Msg: 1080
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2011 9:26:18 AM

How things change. In 2007, then presidential hopeful Biden stated unequivocally that he would work to impeach Bush if he bombed Iran without first gaining congressional approval. Now Biden is dutifully ringing up the royalty in United Arab Emirates and cajoling them to support Obama’s unconstitutional war waged on Libya and kicked off without congressional approval.

Speaking as an independent voter, the Dems are often just ANTI Republican. When Obama unconstitutionally goes to war, they are OK with it. Biden will go down in history as a moronic manufacturer of ill advised comments.
Show ALL Forums  > California  > What has gotten you concerned with Politics?