Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What else do you want to know about me?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 uultramann
Msg: 51
What else do you want to know about me?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
A few months ago they found landmines from the wars long ago in a local Elementary school yard. My point? One never knows if one is walking into a minefield or a school yard because they might look the same.

It sounds like the guy used, "What else do you want to know?" as a safety question. He could have been killing dead air. He could just be insecure about conversation. He maybe just didn't want to ramble on about himself and seem like a narcissist. Perhaps he figured that if he asked the safety question, then the OP would have written back asking something that might have sparked the conversation from there. No need to get upset when that question is asked. Instead use one of my simple comeback questions:

1.) What section would you first go to in a bookstore?
2.) Don't lie! What's your mini-golf average score?
3.) Who's the better killer: Jason Voorhees, Freddy Krueger or Michael Myers?
4.) I dunno. What do you want to know about me?
 RonnieB77
Msg: 52
What else do you want to know about me?
Posted: 2/16/2010 7:03:47 AM
News alert!!! New study shows men who are still single found to be awkward in conversations with women!!! A totally unexpected finding.

Listen. Guy who sez exactly all the right things, tells you everything you want to hear projects confidence and the conversation is easy = player (gonna get in your pants and leave you feeling less about yourself than when you began).

Guy who who has a hard time talking to you, has some answers you don't like, sez some really stupid things = normal nice guy being truthful and too ernest who is into you (probably alot more than you are into him)
 tueres1
Msg: 53
Posted: 2/16/2010 7:10:33 AM
Wow! I think you probably are over-reacting. Maybe the guys in question just want to be helpful, obliging and honest, and answer all your immediate questions, before feeling empowered to reciprocate!

Oucch! Jewlsey, I think maybe you've been a little harsh.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2010 8:09:27 AM

Listen. Guy who sez exactly all the right things, tells you everything you want to hear projects confidence and the conversation is easy = player (gonna get in your pants and leave you feeling less about yourself than when you began).

Guy who who has a hard time talking to you, has some answers you don't like, sez some really stupid things = normal nice guy being truthful and too ernest who is into you (probably alot more than you are into him)

Neither of these things is real attractive to me, they are extremes and they aren't the only options out there. I like a guy who's able to hold basic conversation regardless of the situation - and isn't trying for what I want to hear, but is rather just contributing to a new discussion; that's more my style.

You can be comfortable socially without being a player, and you can fumble in a conversation and be confident enough to just laugh at yourself and not take it all so seriously.
 RonnieB77
Msg: 55
Posted: 2/16/2010 8:47:57 AM
Hey that's me. Wanna meet for lunch in Louisville?

But I do have friends on both extremes and I think in the single world live the extremes and in the off the market world are the more normal 'in the middle' people happily in a relationship because they are in that more functional middle ground.
 brown_eyed_woman
Msg: 56
Posted: 2/16/2010 9:38:37 AM
I dont understanmd why this question would be bothersome. I get it alot as well, and I respond with...wait for it...questions about things I want to know! If you cant think of anything you want to know, I have to assume you are just not interested enough to bother.
 Braes Mommy
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2010 11:30:42 AM
You aren't overreacting at all! This has happened to me numerous times. I absolutely hate it and I usually respond with something along the lines of: it takes atleast 2 people to have a conversation & get to know eachother. I'm not sure if they use this because the are shy or what but for whatever reason it doesn't make for good conversation of 2 people attempting to get to know one another
 butmyeyesaregorgeous
Msg: 58
Posted: 2/16/2010 3:06:06 PM
I personally don't ask questions, which I've heard says that you have no interest in the other person. However, I do not ask any questions, because everything you want to learn about a person can be seen in what they do and what they say. Plus I had a date with someone that knew everything right to say to every question... because she knew how to play the game and din't mean any of it.
 no_BS_woman
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/16/2010 3:32:23 PM
How are they supposed to know what she thinks is "conventional"? If she has very particular and rigid requirements and expectations she'd better communicate them if she wants to stand a chance of having things her way, unless it's all just a set-up so she can come away disappointed.

You're so cute when you try turn the tables to make it the woman's fault.

Read below. It is from the OP. Does it sound that she is "particular and rigid"?

I then usually ask them things that I genuinely want to know - usually things from their profiles I'd like them to expand on i.e. If they mentioned having children in their profile, I ask what age, if their pictures look like they were taken in an exotic locale, I ask where...there's usually something I genuinely want to know because I want to ge to know them.

I call that "going off".

In this case the OP collects a whole bunch of disappointments, which she then cashes in here for feelings of superiority because of "clueless men" who she failed to adequately inform because she's playing a different game than they are.

OR...she is a nice, genuine woman who is sincerely frustrated by the interactions she has had with a number of men on here. I assure you, I have had the exact same thing happen to me, and I am not asking "particular and rigid" questions to trip them up. I don't play BS games. I actually WANT the conversations with male fishies to go well. Imagine that!

This is really simple... A relationship is like playing catch with a ball and glove. I throw the ball to you. You catch it and throw it back to me.

Exactly. Only, the man who says "What else do you want to know about me?" is saying he always wants to be catching, not throwing. That won't work.
 bikeman1467
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2010 3:33:40 PM

This is where I get annoyed. I will get answers to my questions followed with 'what else do you want to know about me?
Yeah, it's definitely dumb on a guy's part to ask this question after he provided answers to the lady's previous questions. I've probably done this once or twice not realizing I was committing a faux pas.

My question is if you've ever uttered this question 'what else do you want to know about me?' what were you thinking?
Lots of times I've started correspondences with women, answered her questions, asked her some, and got really REALLY short responses back. I suppose if this were the scenario, the dude asking this question is gauging if the woman has any sort of general interest in him. If she doesn't, he doesn't want to waste time with inane correspondences. But it definitely is stupid if the guy (or woman for that matter) poses this question without really inquiring for anything significant from the other person.
 CA_ExPat
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2010 3:39:15 PM
It appears that you are attracting the kind of men who are interested only in themselves. Having seen your pictures and read your profile they now wish to tell you enough about themselves to make the next step, which doesn't have much to do with them knowing you any better.

Time to change something. Your written profile is a good place to start. When you ask them questions about themselves, in addition to the answers, they should be asking you more in depth questions about yourself. If they don't, that's a message. The message is that they have no interest in learning what's under your surface.

'what else do you want to know about me?'

OK, here are some questions for them. :)

How ofter do you meet with your parole officer?
How many children do you have?
How many children are you supporting?
Are you up to date in your support payments?
Have you ever had a restraining order against you?
Have you ever been arrested for domestic violence?
Have you ever been arrested for DUI?
Do you get along well with your parents?
How many of the 12 steps have you completed?
Then, of course, you may ask about real estate holdings and stock positions.

After all, he gave you permission to ask.

I think it's time to Go Fishing again.
 hal1492
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2010 4:24:05 PM
I also think it's a bit strange when people do not ask questions of others.
However, I also believe that the more specific information in your profile, the easier it is for someone to find a question to ask you about.
Looking at yours, the most obvious things seem to be Trekkie/Sci Fi and Foreign Films (including a specific one, which is good) and the movie Ghost. Specifics like these and some of the specific ethnic festivals that you may tend to provide more specific questions compared to more generic things like "pubs".
In any event, the more you talk about youself, the easier it is for someone to ask more specific questions that don't sound as dumb or contrived.
Personally, I find you have enough to work with and suspect that I could come up with an easy half a dozen questions to ask, but I suspect you might not have enough for others to work with so easily. So please don't take this as a criticism of your profile, at wose please take it as a criticism of the certain people responding to it.
Because you mentioned foriegn films, I'll plug the 1992 German movie "Schtonk!"? It is hilarious and I suspect even people who generally are not fond of foriegn films will like it.
Now I'm going to have to review my own profile after thinking about this to see how much general versus specific stuff I have.
 AaliyahMisty79
Msg: 63
Posted: 2/17/2010 4:59:43 PM
I feel the same. Drives me nuts! Thinking well didn't you contact me. I just simply dont respond though.
 MetalVixxn
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2010 9:01:11 PM
I'm with you OP!
I used to be game for tossing a few questions back and forth but there was just really something that would get under my skin when someone who initially contacted me would ask what I'd like to know about them...
I started saying "Nothing!"
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 65
Posted: 2/17/2010 9:08:42 PM
I've commented that when someone asks a question like that it would usually signal the end of my interest in the conversation and I would politely bow out. What I don't understand is the rude responses some of the women said they would give. If a guy says, "What else do you want to know about me?" it doesn't necessarily mean he's some self-centered jerk. He could be a perfectly sweet guy with weak conversation skills. So why be a b!tch to him?
 Heptone
Msg: 66
Posted: 2/18/2010 1:15:25 PM
Groucho Marx in one of his movies says, "Ok, enough about me, let's talk about you, what do you think about me?"

Good old Groucho ... a heck of a sharp shooter.

Speaking of sharp shooters, ^^^^ Alooo ... way to accessories!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What else do you want to know about me?