Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it a deal breaker someone does not answer the phone?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 foreverstacey
Msg: 226
Is it a deal breaker someone does not answer the phone?Page 10 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
There are times where I look at caller ID and go OH MY GOD. I don't want to talk to this person right now.

It doesn't mean I don't like this person.. thats crazy.
 ladyc4
Msg: 227
view profile
History
Is it a deal breaker someone does not answer the phone?
Posted: 2/16/2011 4:36:28 PM

The world does not revolve around my dates schedule and I expect to be at the very least an equal and no less important then the most important things in my dates life not below anyone

When you first start out dating someone, you cannot expect to be immediately elevated to "most important" in their life,because the world doesn't revolve around YOUR schedule either. For mature adults, there are a few things that take priority over dating. Things like one's job or business, one's children if they have them, one's parents if they need help. A date may work their way up to relationship status and be NEARLY as important, but to expect someone that you are just DATING to make you the center of their world is an EMOTIONAL misalignment, possibly quite a severe one.
Cindy O
 NiceKindaWay
Msg: 228
Posted: 2/16/2011 5:40:03 PM
I do it. Sorry, But if I have something on my mind and it's not you, you'll wait.

I wasn't hired by anyone to answer the phone just because it rings.
Msg: 229
Posted: 2/16/2011 5:43:33 PM
Some people need to be beaten with the phone until they have a severe and irrational fear of it.

I do not in anyway advocate violence.For those born without a sense of humor that was what is commonly known as a joke.
 NiceKindaWay
Msg: 230
Posted: 2/16/2011 5:51:20 PM
I hate being able to be found 24/7.

Besides I DO answer everytime. Its called Voicemail. Use it.
 karma1160
Msg: 231
Posted: 2/16/2011 8:14:59 PM
If someone is needing some alone time or they are busy doing something else it is
not a reflection on their feelings, for you.
Sometimes it just means they are wrapped up in other things.
Do you need immediate gratification?
I sometimes fill out forms online, or maybe I am talking to my father long distance.
I do not feel that I have to interrupt whatever I am doing at the second, to let
someone know it is not a good time.

IF I don't answer, that should tell you..... it is not a good time!!!!!!
 ImContent2BMe
Msg: 232
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2011 4:15:23 AM
I don't agree with the OP. Everyone needs their space.
Nothing drives me crazier than someone answering the phone to say they can't talk. Then wtf did you answer then ?
Worse yet is answering ..... then putting you on hold right away because they have another call.
I hate phones.
 Apollodorus
Msg: 233
Posted: 2/17/2011 6:39:39 AM

When you first start out dating someone, you cannot expect to be immediately elevated to "most important" in their life,because the world doesn't revolve around YOUR schedule either. For mature adults, there are a few things that take priority over dating. Things like one's job or business, one's children if they have them, one's parents if they need help. A date may work their way up to relationship status and be NEARLY as important, but to expect someone that you are just DATING to make you the center of their world is an EMOTIONAL misalignment, possibly quite a severe one.

Dating is a very serious thing and it takes dedication, it should not be taken lightly. Dating right from day 1 is as important making sure you are not late for work.Dating is not something you do just because you are bored one day and need something to do so you ask out the guy you saw 2 weeks ago. If you can't dedicate at least 3 hours of each day to your date communicating in some way and not just when you want too then you do not have time to date.

Telling your date I just didn't feel like talking on the phone or I just don't feel like doing x,y,z is telling them to go f*** themselves and that is wrong.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 234
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2011 6:45:16 AM
Hahaha!

Communicating with a "date" at LEAST three hours every day from the get go? Are you kidding me?

With all due respect, some of us actually have JOBS and things to do with our lives.
 PrunellaJones
Msg: 235
Posted: 2/17/2011 6:48:38 AM

Hahaha!

Communicating with a "date" at LEAST three hours every day from the get go? Are you kidding me? :

"Dating is a very serious thing and it takes dedication, it should not be taken lightly. Dating right from day 1 is as important making sure you are not late for work.Dating is not something you do just because you are bored one day and need something to do so you ask out the guy you saw 2 weeks ago. If you can't dedicate at least 3 hours of each day to your date communicating in some way and not just when you want too then you do not have time to date."

Alpo: I think you should write a book on dating and don't forget the sex. You got really good ideas, oh yeah.....

DrummingNut
Msg: 236
Posted: 2/17/2011 7:03:53 AM
How's this for a deal breaker...
you tell your 'date' that you didn't answer because you didn't want to talk right at that moment,
and he/she gets really bugged about that!

Don't get bugged at me just because I don't feel like answering my phone occasionally.
(it's a house phone.. no cell phone here)
Leave a message if it's something you just HAVE to say at that time.
But for God's sake, don't make it into such an issue!
 ladyc4
Msg: 237
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2011 7:06:51 AM
As flippin' ridiculous as it sounds, there are guys out there who seem to believe as he does...that if he is dating you, he practically owns your life. Since I don't date women, I have no idea if there are women who behave the same way. But yeah, I've had situations where a guy called and if you were not sitting right there waiting for his call, if he got the answering machine,his interest seemed to cool, even if he did leave a message and I did return his call. Or saying "I'd love to see you/do such-and-such with you on (whatever day) but I have a previous committment... the committment could be taking your Granny out to celebrate her 100th birthday, or volunteering at a Special Olympics fundraiser-and you can EXPLAIN that, but he's already made up his mind that you are "too busy".
Your personal dealbreakers can be anything you want them to be. But ones that seem unrealistic, overly demanding, or make you look self-centered and/or insecure, then that's going to be a problem-YOUR problem.
As for immediately answering the phone if it's not a good time or you just can't engage in a prolonged conversation at the moment, that's anybody's perfect right.
Cindy O
 happybunny8
Msg: 238
Posted: 2/17/2011 7:42:52 AM
This:

<div class='quote'>Personally, I wouldn't have an SO that I "didn't feel like talking to", on a frequent basis.

However, I do have friends that call me and I'm not in the mood to talk, so I either answer and say "hey, what's up, I can't talk right now because ____, is it important" etc. Or I have this awesome thing called an answering machine. I could simply be cooking something, but can quickly answer. If however, my friend says it is important, I immediately put aside the time or (if I'm going out the door) agree on a time when we can talk. Most times though I let the phone ring and my voicemail can get it.

The best thing to do is tell your SO how you feel. Simple.

As flippin' ridiculous as it sounds, there are guys out there who seem to believe as he does...that if he is dating you, he practically owns your life.

Yeah, and then if you can't get together when he wants, there is no other option lol. The rest of my world doesn't suddenly go away as soon as I meet someone. Like any type of relationship, it takes time to grow. I don't drop all my other friends when I meet a new friend.
 ferfoxache
Msg: 239
Posted: 2/17/2011 7:52:41 AM

As flippin' ridiculous as it sounds, there are guys out there who seem to believe as he does...that if he is dating you, he practically owns your life.

I think I kind of understand the OP's point.
I mean if you are dating someone you are supposed to be happy about it.
If you start screening calls and lump the guy you are supposed to be dating and excited about into the "meh, you're just like everyone else, I just don't want to talk to anyone" category, rather than "ugh, I don't want to talk to anyone today. Oh hey, that guy called! That makes me happy, let's talk to him," or,"OMG maybe if I talk to him I will feel better, or it can get my mind off my mood," isn't that a bad sign?

I mean if you are dating someone doesn't that naturally lead to an openly communicating relationship over time? Unless you aren't all that excited about it, so you reserve yourself, and it's going to end at some point, it just hasn't happened yet. Wouldn't screened calls "just because" be a sign of that?

But IMO it also depends on the follow up. Personally, I do see a difference between someone calling back the screened and saying "sorry, I just didn't feel like talking to anyone right then, and this is why, let's talk about it now..." vs. "I just didn't feel like talking on the phone."

So IMO it doesn't necessarily mean the guy is trying to own your/her life (assuming you are talking about the OP), so much as simply using whatever means available to measure health of the relationship and their interest.
People use and understand different ways. This guy uses phone calls as a metric. Most people use something other than what they know about the other person when they don't know the other person well enough. Phone calls, number of dates, how much physical attention on a date, how often a person says "I love that," punctuality, etc.
All just different measures.
 ComplekCity
Msg: 240
Posted: 2/17/2011 8:19:32 AM
To me common courtesy would be if you just do not want to talk at that time to answer the call and say, "can I call you back later I'm doing xyz".

I totally agree with this : if your SO doesn't think you're worth this minimal effort that is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE red flag....in my oh so humble opinion.

Lady C , of course there are going to be times when the person simply can't, but I mean as a general practise.
 ladyc4
Msg: 241
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2011 8:21:01 AM
OTOH, if the one on the receiving end of the phone call has been having a bad day, is in a bad mood, stressed about some unrelated matter,early on in a dating situation, one might not always want to talk on the phone with the new interest BECAUSE they are feeling stressed or frazzled and don't want to risk snapping or snarling at the person.

I can see the good point of honesty, "didn't feel like talking on the phone"...but there IS something to be said for the polite excuse-" I was unloading groceries from the car" " I was out in the back yard/in the shower/in the middle of eating a meal", because then you don't hurt the other persons' feelings.
Cindy O
 Time_For_Two
Msg: 242
Posted: 2/17/2011 8:29:37 AM

I totally agree with this : if your SO doesn't think you're worth this minimal effort that is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE red flag....in my oh so humble opinion.

Have to say I do agree with this as well. If I am not answering it means I am really not interested. I know that sounds bad but it is the truth. I can understand if they have had a really bad day and just want some alone time so they don't answer, but if it is frequently unanswered calls, I would find someone new to call.
 english lass
Msg: 243
Posted: 2/17/2011 8:30:32 AM
I love my family and my friends, but sometimes I just don't want to talk - I've got other things I'm doing or I've got something on my mind, or whatever, so I let the answering machine get it...if they leave a message then I'll know it was them and call back...and because they also love me, they understand that and don't demand that I work on their time-frame and I do the same for them - ie. just because it's a convenient time to talk for one person doesnt' mean it is for the other.

Relationships involve compromise and understanding.
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 244
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2011 8:45:51 AM
I agree it is rather weird and rude to not answer the phone for no real reason. Even if I were really busy I would answer and say I am doing whatever can I call you back in a bit?

I wouldn't call it as the expression goes a "deal breaker" but I wouldn't like it much.

I agree with another poster that if you are going to date someone you should have a few hours a day for them.

As to needing space as one person stated. That is the main problem with most human relationship, too much space between people. People seem afraid to let anyone get close to them.
 Time_For_Two
Msg: 245
Posted: 2/17/2011 9:33:09 AM

A few hours a day is not an unreasonable request even if it has to be scheduled.

A few "hours" is way to much for me during the week. No amount of scheduling is going to change that. If someone I was dating expected that, then we would not be a match at all. However no one ever has said I need to talk to him a few "hours" everyday when we're dating. So not a biggie.
 Sabrosura089
Msg: 246
Posted: 2/17/2011 9:38:30 AM
A few hours a day for most would not work. Assuming you have a life; a "9-5", a commute home and one's responsibilities/agenda after work. That would definitely NOT work for me.

Weekends are more flexible, but definitely not during the work-week.................

OP: I'm not a huge phone person, so this is never been a "deal-breaker" of mine. However, if you aren't showing any interest in having a dialogue via phone at all, that would show zero interest. Time to move on.............
 pirateheaven
Msg: 247
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2011 9:40:44 AM

I have a theory of "compensating" factors. Basically, do the positives outweigh the negatives.

Sure she may not answer your calls, but does she have a compensating factor that negates her rudeness?

For example, if she has a really sexy a$$, it matters little to me if she won't answer the phone.

happybunny8
Msg: 248
Posted: 2/17/2011 10:21:40 AM
Here's a thought: maybe the people who want 2 hours a day don't work?

However even some folks that do not work have busy schedules.

Frankly, when I was younger, had less responsibilities, still lived at home - sure I could talk every day on the phone for longer amounts of time. And actually in the beginning of a relationship, I have no problem talking for that amount of time on the phone, but honestly we never did it everyday - we spent more time together than on the phone.

For example, one Friday night we both had stuff to catch up on so we agreed to call each other at the end of the night. We were on the phone for way more than 4 hours. The next two weeks, we touched base with each other every day, but saw each other as well.

I still maintain that if I'm with someone, I always want to talk to them but may not always be able to. People with a life, responsibilities etc., usually get that.
 Apollodorus
Msg: 249
Posted: 2/17/2011 10:45:40 AM
A few hours a day for most would not work. Assuming you have a life; a "9-5", a commute home and one's responsibilities/agenda after work. That would definitely NOT work for me.

Lets assume you have a 9 to 5 job, whats wrong with having 5pm to 8pm free for your date? your family and friends can see you on the weekends and if you have kids hire a baby sitter for those hours or talk on the phone.

If you are truly that busy you should not be focusing on dating because you don't have time for it.
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 250
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2011 10:48:59 AM

Here's a thought: maybe the people who want 2 hours a day don't work?

I work 4 ten hour shifts a week, with driving time that 10 hour shift becomes 11 and a half hours. I do make time regardless of what I am doing for things that matter to me.

Not to mention the original question wasn't about how long one talks, but answering the phone in the first place. Why do people make such a simple thing into something so complex. The person you are dating calls you, the phone rings, you pick it up, you talk. Not answer enough they will stop calling.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it a deal breaker someone does not answer the phone?