Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you date someone who had paranormal expiriences?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 5sammy
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Would you date someone who had paranormal expiriences?Page 3 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
haley joel osment saying "i see dead people," not hot. a brooding brunette saying the same thing, though, i would definitely have to seriously consider the possibility of non-paranormal contact with that individual, that is after i checked her psychiatric history.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Would you date someone who had paranormal expiriences?
Posted: 3/17/2010 7:57:18 PM
I don't scoff at such things.
don't seek em out either.

but for me...
.....as long as her head isn't spinning 360 and spittin out guacamole she can be as paranormal as she wants.
 CynthiaMw
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/17/2010 8:34:38 PM
Yes I'd date someone who has experienced something described as paranormal. It's actually pretty exciting.

I've, personally, had a few experiences that defy explanation. First was when I was about 10 and my brother about 9. We went to the 'back bedroom' at our family's summer house to get the fishing poles from the closet. When we went into the room we both saw a man standing there clearly enough that we could later describe him to our grandmother. Then he disappeared.

We did not know that man was our grandfather who'd killed himself in that room 30 yrs earlier. I did not know at that time that he'd killed himself. I only knew that he'd died when my dad was a young boy. Because of the shame of suicide there were no pictures of him, ever.

Then, in my early 40s I was chatting with a man I'd met online. This was our first phone call. He was in Arizona, I was in Seattle. He did not know my maiden name and we'd never talked about our families so there's no way he could have looked up any of this. Suddenly, changing the subject, he started to describe a room - a very unusual room, and the weather (sleeting rain) at the time period he was 'seeing' the room. It was the back bedroom at our summer house. This got me curious to find out more about my grandfather's death so I found his obituary (I hadn't known even what time of the year he died) and checked the weather for that day - sleeting rain.

A year later I was chatting with a woman I'd met online. She's in Connecticut, I'm in Seattle and she did not know the man in Arizona. She did not know my maiden name and we'd never talked about our families so there was also no way she could have looked up any of this. We're talking on the phone about our boyfriends and she suddenly askes me "who's Charlie?" I answered "Charlie's my brother. Why?" She said "no, someone else." I said my dad is Chuck and my grandfather was Chas. She said "no, he was Charlie" and proceeded to tell me more stuff about him that I didn't know but was later able to independently verify.

No one has been able to explain to my satisfaction how my brother and I simultaneously hallucinated an identical image of someone we'd never seen before and had no reason to 'see' in that place at that time. Nor how 2 people I barely knew, and barely knew me, could know more details about my grandfather than I knew myself.
 Opal-in-October
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2010 9:26:55 PM
Like Turk182 above I saw a translucent shadow upon awakening, that quickly disappeared. This was years ago after a death in the family. What to make of it...don't know??? Interesting.....
 JustAPOFGal
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2010 9:47:09 PM
Everyone's life experiences are different. I find it funny that my xH did not believe in the paranormal and wanted to medicate my child but when his father died the first thing he did was call her and ask her to talk to his father for him.

Our experiences tend to be very personal. It is about connecting with our loved ones, not about getting a bunch of equipment and recording things. It is about helping people who are grieving.

It is not about trying to get people to believe. That's just not my place.
 happy-go-lucky_
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2010 10:48:27 PM
Sure, I'd date such a person, but if she expects me to believe that her so-called paranormal experiences were caused by actual external phenomena that are a facet of the world we inhabit, then she'll be sorely disappointed. Her experiences and purported memories are what they are, I'd have no issues respecting her as a person and a potential mate worthy of my time, affection, respect, admiration, etc. She's perfectly entitled to her beliefs an opinions on the matter, but if she were to relate her experiences to me, I'm going to draw my own conclusions, seeing as I have a mind (or rather, brain) of my own.

This is by no means an attempt to discredit any of the claims made in this thread, but it helps to bear in mind that all experiences are subjective, and are filtered through our senses and our consciousness, with the latter just being a manifestation of the physiological and chemical processes in our brains, as far as we know. Moreover, all anecdotal accounts (as opposed to unaltered recorded footage, for example) are based on one's memory, and memories often get manipulated in various ways, unfortunately.

Personally, if I were to ever have a paranormal experience, I'd be liable to question my own mental state at the time and subsequent "memories" of that experience.

<div class='quote'>Wow you are very close minded as well as incredibly arrogant. What's it like to know everything there is to know.How's that closed minded? I don't claim to "know everything there is to know," but at the same time, I see absolutely no reason to be completely credulous and accepting of the paranormal or any other claims, for that matter, especially scientific ones. It's just healthy scepticism, that's all. I didn't feel it necessary to state that claims about the paranormal can never be proven or disproven due to the lack of physical evidence and the inherent anecdotal nature of such recollections--because ultimately, from another person's point of view, that's really all you've got at the end of the day, it should go without saying--but you had to make me go there, didn't you? :-P

Is it really necessary for people to agree on everything even in a relationship, or to accept things uncritically? Live and let live, I say.
Msg: 57
Posted: 3/17/2010 10:53:58 PM
Just because you think you know everything there is to know does not mean you actually know everything there is to know.None of us, not even the most brilliant scientist know everything there is to know.
 abelian
Msg: 58
Posted: 3/17/2010 11:38:40 PM

If you really liked someone and they said they believed in ghosts, or bigfoot, or anything else paranormal would you stop dating them?

I can't even imagine having anything in common with someone who believes in those things.

Would you still date them if they said they had expirienced it first hand?

No, but I might suggest remedial education and possibly some therapy.
 MsStackhouse
Msg: 59
Posted: 3/18/2010 6:17:25 AM
I'm totally into all things paranormal, so I'd love to date someone who believed in that as well - and actually would have a hard time dating someone who though all of it was "nonsense"...however, if I met someone who claimed to have been abducted by aliens and taken into a UFO I'd say "NEXT!!!"
 Slyknight
Msg: 60
Posted: 3/18/2010 6:22:15 AM
I definitely would.

I'm open minded. I don't have particularly strong feelings either way on whether ghosts and such actually exist, but I'm of the opinion that it would be cool if they did. Accordingly, I'm hardly going to go out of my way to avoid people who believe in things like that, or search for ways to cut them down with scathing sarcasm. That just sounds like being an ass. Is it really so important to be 'right' and 'logical' all the time? Lighten up a little.

That said, I'd avoid any devout christians. Their beliefs aren't generally particularly interesting or much fun...
 swampbuggy1
Msg: 61
Posted: 3/18/2010 10:53:48 AM
In this age of camera phones, cam corders, digital cameras, I think we would have seen somthing by now. I would date somone who believed in stuff like that as long as they werent too quirky about it. As far as those ghost shows on tv, I used to watch them but quit when I was wathing an episode of "A Haunting" where in the story they snapped pictures of the spirit. The pics they showed the audiance were "recreated" So Im thinking why dont they show the "actual" pics? Likely cause theres nothing there.
 Ccan123
Msg: 62
Posted: 3/18/2010 11:51:37 AM
If the person experienced demon attacks or anything violent I would run away quickly. Not my thing...
 MsStackhouse
Msg: 63
Posted: 3/18/2010 12:27:49 PM

used to watch them but quit when I was wathing an episode of "A Haunting" where in the story they snapped pictures of the spirit. The pics they showed the audiance were "recreated" So Im thinking why dont they show the "actual" pics? Likely cause theres nothing there. .

In several episodes they actually did show the real photo's...

I loved, loved, loved that show....so sad it's off the air....
 SJBoxing408
Msg: 64
Posted: 3/21/2010 12:30:13 AM
if she liked the movies Paranormal Activity and The Fourth Kind just as I have then why not?
 david hume
Msg: 65
Posted: 3/21/2010 7:41:41 AM
I definitely would not date them.
To me it would show a lack of critical thinking and willingness to indulge in self delusion over reality.
I could never be with someone that would suspend reality for comforting illusions just so they feel special.
Not to mention someone being that gullible to believe in bigfoot.
 migivadamsbusted
Msg: 66
Posted: 3/21/2010 7:54:17 AM
YOU don't believe in BIGfoot?!
 CynthiaMw
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/21/2010 7:54:35 AM

To me it would show a lack of critical thinking and willingness to indulge in self delusion over reality.
I could never be with someone that would suspend reality for comforting illusions just so they feel special.

Hmmmm, who's suspending reality to deny there are people who have repeatedly demonstrated their ability to think critically but have still experienced paranormal phenomenon?
You just keep on being comfortable in that delusion.
 ooobaby71
Msg: 68
Posted: 3/21/2010 8:11:06 AM
I am attracted to those who are open minded rather then to those who are not.
So yes I would date people with an open mind. If they had a belief in something that I didn't then I would be curious for them to prove to me their findings in order to make me a believer. I am not one who is easily persuaded without facts and proof or at least one damn good theory that makes logical sense.

But if it was just a good book they read or a believable movie they saw that was their consensus to believe then I would not be too impressed.
So I will say that I do not believe in demonic possession~~Paranormal Activity, The Exorcist - were good movies to scare people but based on complete fiction.

I am a philosopher and intrigued with the pursuit of knowledge. I actually am the one who needs to research things before I believe in them so I am attracted to those with the same type of mentality.
Those who are easily brain washed are not my cup of tea because this is a sign of mental weakness and someone who quite possibly would be easy to **** whip and not my ideal match...I prefer someone with confidence and strength....

As for the big foot theory well that is something we'd be up for debates on because I do not believe a big foot exists in a physical form other then in the imagination of those who want to believe. But I am up for a good debate.....lol

david hume
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/21/2010 8:34:51 AM
[Hmmmm, who's suspending reality to deny there are people who have repeatedly demonstrated their ability to think critically but have still experienced paranormal phenomenon?]

Hmmmm, sounds like a contradiction in terms to me.
 TheIG86
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/21/2010 8:41:21 AM
Well, seeing as I've experienced paranormal things myself, first-hand, I'd be more than happy to date someone who claims the same. Same goes for if they just said that they believed in it.
 CynthiaMw
Msg: 71
Posted: 3/21/2010 8:44:11 AM

[Hmmmm, who's suspending reality to deny there are people who have repeatedly demonstrated their ability to think critically but have still experienced paranormal phenomenon?]

Hmmmm, sounds like a contradiction in terms to me.

Think a little harder without the knee-jerk dismissal and I'm sure you'll get it.
 Butterfly~Effect
Msg: 72
Posted: 3/21/2010 8:56:49 AM

If he looked like Jensen Ackles.............bring it on!!

Actually, I've had many 'different' experiances myself...so as long as the guy wasn't coming off as a genuine nutcase, I'd date him.

lol...although, if he did look like Jensen....he could be a nutcase if he wanted to be ;)...:P

(j/k)
 david hume
Msg: 73
Posted: 3/21/2010 8:59:35 AM
@ CynthiaMw

I have not seen any convincing evidence to convince me that any persons paranormal experience is real.

Think a little harder about your knee jerk dismissal and I am sure YOU will get it.
 LOSTIN60S49
Msg: 74
Posted: 3/21/2010 9:30:12 AM
Since I feel that ultimately nothing is outside the realm of possibility & I've had my own first hand experiances I would welcome meeting a woman with a simular outlook on the subject.
 cdnfinanceman
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/21/2010 12:22:33 PM
I dont believe in Paranormal experiences, anyone who claims is either a piece of chicken short a snack pack or a con.

Yeah if a woman said that to me I saw big foot or a ghost, I make sure the door hits my arse on the way out.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you date someone who had paranormal expiriences?