Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you date someone who had paranormal expiriences?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 76
Would you date someone who had paranormal expiriences?Page 4 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Yes, I would date a guy such as that.

It would certainly lead to quite the interesting conversations!
 CynthiaMw
Msg: 77
Would you date someone who had paranormal expiriences?
Posted: 3/21/2010 6:48:45 PM
Oh my DH, this is even worse than I thought. You don’t even understand your own post. Let’s walk through it and see if you get it this time.
Msg 71 (quoting msg 69)

To me it would show a lack of critical thinking and willingness to indulge in self delusion over reality.
I could never be with someone that would suspend reality for comforting illusions just so they feel special.

Hmmmm, who's suspending reality to deny there are people who have repeatedly demonstrated their ability to think critically but have still experienced paranormal phenomenon?
You just keep on being comfortable in that delusion.

Let’s identify who you were talking about in post #69:
a) other people (i.e. not you),
b) who had a paranormal experience (i.e. “not scientifically explainable”).
c) you did not qualify that statement in any way so it refers to any/all people in this group
Next, let’s identify what you claim about these people:
d) They lack critical thinking skills
e) They indulge in self-delusion
f) So they feel special (i.e attention seeking)
g) You did not qualify these statements in any way so it refers to lack of critical thinking skills in any/all situations.

Note: your post does not make reference to running their experience past you for your demonstration of critical thinking that will explain what they experienced was “real”. i.e. they’re stupid simply for not being able to explain their experience.
DH Msg 73

[Hmmmm, who's suspending reality to deny there are people who have repeatedly demonstrated their ability to think critically but have still experienced paranormal phenomenon?]

Hmmmm, sounds like a contradiction in terms to me.

My comment disagrees with your generalization that all people who fit “b” automatically “d”. It is not a contradiction to say that just because someone has experienced something that is not scientifically explainable they are incapable of critical thinking in any part of their life or even the majority of situations in their life.
I have experienced paranormal phenomenon in that the situations have not been scientifically explainable – they were not due to trauma, dreams, food poisoning, drug induced or non-drug induced hallucinations, or even my own mind since in each case there was at least one other person present who experienced the same thing and not the same person each time. I make no claims of what I experienced, I claim that it is so far scientifically unexplainable, i.e. paranormal.
Even though I’ve had these experiences I’m quite capable of critical thinking - I prove my analytical abilities on a daily basis at work, and I do well enough to school you.
DH Msg 77

I have not seen any convincing evidence to convince me that any persons paranormal experience is real.

Think a little harder about your knee jerk dismissal and I am sure YOU will get it.

In case you didn’t notice you now change your position from msg 69 where you essentially call people idiots for simply believing they’ve experienced something not scientifically explainable, to now calling them idiots because they haven’t 1) convinced 2) you, that 3) their experience is “real” (whatever that means).
Do you mean “real” as in scientifically explainable? Wouldn’t “real paranormal” experience be an oxymoron?
So far your logic has been sort of fuzzy.
 JustAPOFGal
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2010 7:25:58 PM
Well said, Cynthia!
 Backlolz
Msg: 79
Posted: 3/21/2010 7:54:44 PM
I believe in elves!!! just kidding but really believing something just shows someone having an open mind even if they claim it to be first hand. eg: bottle cap UFO... as long as they are not borrowing book from libraries about little green men it should be ok
 Backlolz
Msg: 80
Posted: 3/21/2010 7:57:57 PM
If he looked like Jensen Ackles.............bring it on!!

yea man he's a professional at punching****!!
 Coma White
Msg: 81
Posted: 3/21/2010 10:58:29 PM
If paranormal experiences were proven with science, they would cease to be paranormal experiences. A lot of people religious people believe in demonic posession, demons causing physical and mental illness, etc. I really have no problem with people believing whatever they want but sometimes it gets to the point of being overly paranoid.
 cdukshnow
Msg: 82
Posted: 3/25/2010 5:42:55 AM
I wouldn't let beliefs like that end a relationship or the possibility of one.

Thom
 E_keys
Msg: 83
Posted: 3/25/2010 8:28:18 PM
Never thought I'd be hardnosed about this, I love freaky weather and aliens and impossible things. But as it turns out, when I'm around people who are very literal about what I consider religion or superstition, I don't respect them as well as I'd like to. I get along better with people who are as serious about their atheism as I am.

I start out curious and interested in a person's spirituality, though. If they have none of that at all, I also feel like something's missing.

And my family tells great stories about things like, my grandfather getting confused on his way "to the light" and haunting a ceiling fixture in my aunt's house for a few days...
 late™
Msg: 84
Posted: 3/25/2010 8:34:10 PM

But as it turns out, when I'm around people who are very literal about what I consider religion or superstition, I don't respect them as well as I'd like to.

This sums it up for me, ...I have no problem with people relating "strange" experiences, but as soon as they attribute them as being "proof" of supernatural bunk, ...I realize that they easily skip steps in reasoning, ...this means that they may not be able to be reasoned with, this means that potential conflicts may not be resolvable due to confirmation bias, ....been there, tasted the toxic personalities, ...pass.
 WereJaguar
Msg: 85
Posted: 3/29/2010 1:41:06 PM
People who have had paranormal experiences are superior to those of us who have not had them. The mind's eye or the third eye or the peneal gland, see's things that are in another dimension. Ancient mysteries and the esoteric arts are related to the paranormal field.
 late™
Msg: 86
Posted: 3/29/2010 2:23:42 PM

People who have had paranormal experiences are superior to those of us who have not had them.

In regards to being delusional mebbe'.

The mind's eye or the third eye or the peneal gland, see's things that are in another dimension.

Do you have a credible cite for this?
 WereJaguar
Msg: 87
Posted: 3/29/2010 2:34:41 PM
The British parapsychologist Stan Gooch and the Vatican are two sources that hold the human peneal gland in high esteem. The Vatican has a giant peneal gland statue, that resembles a pine cone, out on dispaly in their courtyard with ancient Egyptian writing on it. The mind's eye, third eye, and peneal gland are all synonymous. Dreams, incubus, automatic writing, hypnosis and nocturnal erections are inter-related.
 _Icon_
Msg: 88
Posted: 3/29/2010 2:41:00 PM
Quite honestly, I find the "you cant prove it so it's not real" folks to be nuttier than the "Bigfoot lives in my backyard" people.

For one thing, the naysayers are like pit-bulls who lock their jaws on a subject and just repeat "prove it, prove it" like some kind of mantra. I think they secretly harbor a pretty damn big fear of the unknown.

At least the Sasquatch friends leave a little room open for the possibilities.
 late™
Msg: 89
Posted: 3/29/2010 3:15:53 PM
The British parapsychologist Stan Gooch and the Vatican are two sources that hold the human peneal gland in high esteem.

I said "credible cite", by this I mean either independently verified, repeatable, peer-reviewed neurological study, ...y'know, credible? Not the writings of those with a vested agenda.

Quite honestly, I find the "you cant prove it so it's not real" folks to be nuttier than the "Bigfoot lives in my backyard" people.

Do you have a reasoned explanation as to why you feel this way? Or, is the insult baseless?

For one thing, the naysayers are like pit-bulls who lock their jaws on a subject and just repeat "prove it, prove it" like some kind of mantra. I think they secretly harbor a pretty damn big fear of the unknown.

Nope, frankly, I'd love it if some of this stuff was true, no fear here, ...just an understanding of critical thinking, logic and reason.

And most importantly, the law of parsimony.

At least the Sasquatch friends leave a little room open for the possibilities.

Actually, they leave less room for "possibilities" as they all ready have a bias, ...a rational skeptic doesn't.

Meesterjojo
Msg: 90
Posted: 3/29/2010 3:21:13 PM
No, but if that's all they could discuss, then it would become an issue for me.

I'm pretty darn open to a lot of experiences/people, but conspiracy fanatics, and paranormal enthusiasts accordingly, tire me out. As a hobby it's one thing, as a lifestyle it's too much.

The same could be said for anyone who indulges to excess.
 _Icon_
Msg: 91
Posted: 3/29/2010 3:24:24 PM
Do you have a reasoned explanation as to why you feel this way?

Yes I do.
 late™
Msg: 92
Posted: 3/29/2010 3:27:41 PM

Do you have a reasoned explanation as to why you feel this way?

Yes I do.

Than please, ...enlighten us.

Or is it a secret?
 Aiko
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2010 8:11:31 PM
Excellent reading on the Pineal gland "DMT - The Spirit Molecule"

About the author.

Biography

Rick Strassman was born in Los Angeles, California in 1952. He attended public schools in southern California's San Fernando Valley, and graduated from Ulysses S. Grant High School in Van Nuys in 1969. As an undergraduate, he majored in zoology at Pomona College in Claremont California for two years before transferring to Stanford University, where he graduated with departmental honors in biological sciences in 1973. During summers in college he worked for RedKen Laboratories, developing cosmetics and a line of hair dyes, and also performed laboratory research at Stanford, on the development of the chicken embryo's nervous system. He attended the Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University in the Bronx, New York, where he obtained his medical degree with honors in 1977.

Dr. Strassman took his internship and general psychiatry residency at the University of California, Davis, Medical Center in Sacramento, and received the Sandoz Award for outstanding graduating resident in 1981. After graduating, he worked for a year in Fairbanks, Alaska in community mental health and private psychiatric practice. From 1982-1983, he obtained fellowship training in clinical psychopharmacology research at the University of California, San Diego's Veteran's Administration Medical Center. He then served on the clinical faculty in the department of psychiatry at UC Davis Medical Center, before taking a full-time academic position in the department of psychiatry at the University of New Mexico School of Medicine in Albuquerque in 1984.

At UNM, Dr. Strassman performed clinical research investigating the function of the pineal hormone melatonin in which his research group documented the first known role of melatonin in humans. He also began the first new US government approved and funded clinical research with psychedelic drugs in over twenty years. Before leaving the University in 1995, he attained the rank of tenured Associate Professor of Psychiatry, and received the UNM General Clinical Research Center's Research Scientist Award.

In 1984, he received lay ordination in a Western Buddhist order, and co-founded, and for several years administered, a lay Buddhist meditation group associated with the same order. Dr. Strassman underwent a four-year personal psychoanalysis in New Mexico between 1986 and 1990.

He has published nearly thirty peer-reviewed scientific papers, and has served as a reviewer for several psychiatric research journals. He has been a consultant to the US Food and Drug Administration, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Veteran's Administration Hospitals, Social Security Administration, and other state and local agencies. In 2007 he founded, with Steve Barker and Andrew Stone, the Cottonwood Research Foundation (www.cottonwoodresearch.org)

From 1996 to 2000, while living in the Pacific Northwest of the United States, Dr. Strassman worked in community mental health centers for Washington State in Bellingham and Port Townsend. For the next four years, he had a solo private practice in Taos, New Mexico. After two years working on the edge of the Navajo Reservation in Gallup NM, he returned to northern New Mexico in 2006, where he served at at a mental health center in Espanola. Since mid-2008, he has been writing full-time.

He currently is Clinical Associate Professor of Psychiatry at the University of New Mexico School of Medicine.
Source: http://www.rickstrassman.com/?q=node/2
 Coma White
Msg: 94
Posted: 3/29/2010 8:16:18 PM
I own that book, it's great. Another favourite book of mine is "Peopled Darkness" about Salvia Divinorum.
 late™
Msg: 95
Posted: 3/29/2010 9:34:35 PM

Excellent reading on the Pineal gland "DMT - The Spirit Molecule"

Cool, but I was asking for a cite on the the claims of "see's things that are in another dimension", ...especially because it would be interesting to see the "another dimension" explained, ...no matter, I really wasn't expecting a real answer.

Psychotropic substances aren't beyond explanation, or paranormal phenomena, they're well documented.

A good place to start is at the beginning. Here's an early one my father was involved with, these studies and clinical trials started in the early 50s, this is probably one of the very first, it was where/when the word "psychedelic" was coined (of all places, Weyburn, Saskatchewan), in a letter from Humphry Osmond to Aldus Huxley, ...my dad was a colleague of Dr. Osmond, and one of the pioneers involved with the first studies and clinical trials, ...his name is listed in the forward as well:

http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/guides/handbook_lsd25.shtml

Needless to say, I'm not unfamiliar with the legit research. I learned about it from those who were there.

Anyway, ...any credible cites related to the, "see's things that are in another dimension"?
 Coma White
Msg: 96
Posted: 3/29/2010 10:07:00 PM
Robert Bruce explains another dimension in great detail in "Astral Dynamics".
Also, Peopled Darkness by James Arthur cronicles his Salvia use. He almost gave up on it because he would see the same nonsense every time. Then he had a breakthrough experience and began going to a place that showed consistent traits. The beings there would often be disgusted or joke about how he also had a body made of flesh. They would give him hell about not having a "sitter" to watch his body while he took his Salvia trip. I find it interesting he had these experiences of an "afterlife" type world consistently instead of seeing the walls melting or Mickey Mouse dancing around.
This is a good YouTube link showing someone trying to re-create similiar experiences.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30mzNPT7aAU
 late™
Msg: 97
Posted: 3/29/2010 11:29:43 PM
Then please, cite it.

YouTube is not a credible source, ...there is no sourcing, no cites.

If you have proof of "another dimension", ...it would be earth-shattering, ...people like me WANT this to be true, ...but someone's explanation of experiences while under the influence of hallucinogenic psychotropic compounds may be an interesting read (For example, my dad loved Carlos Castaneda's books, but had the inside scoop already having been in the game years before ol' Carlos).

instead of seeing the walls melting or Mickey Mouse dancing around.

You're surprised that a short-cut to self actualization via hallucinogenic psychotropic compounds has a different "mind movie" for different people? I would think this obvious....

Look at the extensive anthropological research on NDE's, ...the visions always manifest from learned cultural norms, ...i.e. Hindus see hindu mythos, Christians see Christian mythos, ...many non-theists see Micky Mouse, ...kinda' obvious what's going on. Human consciousness and DMT (among other things) are very well researched.

No paranormal dimensions found yet, ...unless you have a credible cite that states otherwise.

Seriously, ...who wouldn't want proof of an afterlife, or other dimensions, ...I realize that it's enough for many, even most, ...to hitch belief to on the basis of confirmation bias, ...but if it's real, it should be consistently and independently verifiable, ....have a cite for this?
 bsp71
Msg: 98
Posted: 3/29/2010 11:42:01 PM
As long as they were decent people and so forth and not insane, why not? I believe that there are things out in the universe that we do not quite understand yet.
 late™
Msg: 99
Posted: 3/30/2010 12:50:46 AM

I believe that there are things out in the universe that we do not quite understand yet.

Anybody who doesn't believe as you do is definitely delusional.

The problem is with the delusional bit, ...if it shows up in one area, ...it may crop up in others.

This is the point I was trying to make about "reasoning" and "rational".

And even people who don't believe in ALL of or even Any Part of what's considered "paranormal", ...may still abandon reasoning and "rational arguments" when they're trying to maintain an unreasonable and irrational position.

But, ...there is the requirement of belief in the independently unsubstantiated , that is the real "red flag".

Like when a spouse or S.O. will invent/fabricate reasons to resent you because they need to form a rationale for a resentment in order to affirm "toxic behaviour", ...I've been there, it sucks. It really doesn't matter what they believe, ...it's how they reason (or not) their perspective/position/argument.

And, if they hold on to confirmation bias/fabricated beliefs (you cheated on me {you didn't}, you don't love me {well, you did until they let their inner psycho out}, you think that "---" {big red flag, when they start providing both sides of the argument, ...guess which is the "losing " one?} all of these things, when you haven't expressed that thought or behaviour ---> but it helps them affirm a straw man version of you, maybe some of you have heard these before, no?

It can be a disaster as far as communication is concerned when they no longer reason from "reality".

Because there is no longer any "communication".

Never again for this boy, ...and really, read the thread, it has nothing to do with what people may or may not believe, it's their reasoning (and how they reason) that will predict (though not by psychic means) any future behaviour/reasoning when there is conflict or any kind of difference in "views", or even just a bad hormone day or a bad "mood". If there's no basic adherence to logic and critical thinking in someone's world view, there's always the potential for delusional drama of the worst kind.

not insane

I s'pose our only difference here is I define it as, ...not prone to delusion.

delusion |diˈloō zh ən|
noun
an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder

So, it ain't really the belief that scares me, ...it's the (faulty) logic behind it, or the reasoning (or lack thereof) that makes me go...

"What the hell did I sign up for? ....not this"
 Spoken For
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2010 5:22:21 AM
If they said they believed in the supernatural in a general sense, I would probably be ok. If they said they had been abducted by the mother ship and had dinner with Elvis and Michael Jackson before being dropped off at Area 51, I would probably back away slowly.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you date someone who had paranormal expiriences?