Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > March Madness      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 unclecharles
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Clarice StarlingPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Those Kentucky Wildcats are in BIG trouble.....
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Clarice Starling
Posted: 3/27/2010 7:27:25 PM
WVU fan here.....

I have to say I really didn't think we had much chance against KY, but came out with a great game plan, using the 1-3-1 to befuddle KY enough to get the job done. The other great strength of WVU is that we're an unselfish team with a deep bench and lots of heart. These guys never get down no matter the score and have been somehow both loose and focused throughout the tournament so far.

I was thinking going into tonight's game that the winner might well go all the way. Sure hope so!
 RcknWhtKnght
Msg: 50
view profile
History
March Madness
Posted: 3/27/2010 7:32:09 PM
At least one Big East Team made it!

Jack
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 51
view profile
History
March Madness
Posted: 3/27/2010 7:41:50 PM

At least one Big East Team made it!

Actually, if you think about it, the Big East started with eight teams in the tournament, 1/8 of the field, and still had 1/8 of the remaining field after every round until now, when they've got 1/4! So while I was certainly hoping and expecting they'd do even better, there's no reason for Big East fans to hang their heads.
 newdejavu
Msg: 52
view profile
History
March Madness
Posted: 3/28/2010 6:44:30 AM
there's no reason for Big East fans to hang their heads.

True enough. The only "shock" was how easily Ohio beat Georgetown. The other Big East teams went down in close games. Congrats WVU on reaching the Final Four!
 unclecharles
Msg: 53
view profile
History
March Madness
Posted: 3/28/2010 11:25:53 AM
sure hope by the end of the day I will back to proclaim that DUKE is the last #1 standing though we have a tough game in front of home state favorite Baylor....but who said it should be easy. I am hoping that having to beat 10 seed St Marys have given them a false sense of security about how good they are.
I have to admit that this years DUKE team is one of the least talented teams but they sure make the most out of what they do have, and Big Zoub sure has been playing like someone lit a match under his behind..... good luck DUKE
 unclecharles
Msg: 54
view profile
History
March Madness
Posted: 3/28/2010 4:51:22 PM
And the Blue Devils make it to the Final Four.......
 JFredMuggs
Msg: 55
March Madness
Posted: 3/29/2010 7:15:51 AM

Actually, if you think about it, the Big East started with eight teams in the tournament, 1/8 of the field, and still had 1/8 of the remaining field after every round until now, when they've got 1/4! So while I was certainly hoping and expecting they'd do even better, there's no reason for Big East fans to hang their heads.

Or you could think about it like this: 4/8 BE teams lost to double-digit seeds. 6/8 BE teams lost to a lower seed.

The Big East was overseeded. And neither Notre Dame or Marquette deserved to be invited period, let alone get those 6 seeds they were both awarded.
 JFredMuggs
Msg: 56
March Madness
Posted: 3/30/2010 9:18:44 AM
Another BE program is looking for a head coach as BC has just fired Al Skinner. One of the names being bandied about is Chris Mooney from Richmond. That would be a smart hire for BC, if they can pull it off. But the other 2 BE schools didn't get their first choice and BC isn't any more attractive than Seton Hall or St Johns, so we'll see.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 57
view profile
History
March Madness
Posted: 3/30/2010 4:14:12 PM

Another BE program is looking for a head coach as BC has just fired Al Skinner.

????? It's been many years since BC was in the Big East......

And to respond to another post, yes there were a number of Big East upsets to lower seeded teams, but in this year, a number of upsets throughout the bracket whether or not there were Big East teams involved. Anyone wanna say Kansas should have been anything but a number 1 seed?

Basketball being what it is, any one and done tournament will result in upsets. It's part of the fun of it all. My team, WVU, certainly has played well during the tournament and legitimately earned every victory so far. But we squeaked our way all the way to the Big East Championship via a series of games so close they could easily have gone the other way, and throughout the season few games were decided before the final minute. I'm sure the same could be said for many, many other teams across the country.

So 'upsets' have been the norm in the tourney, because especially this year on a good night just about anyone can beat just about anyone else. I know WVU is good enough to win it all, but honestly so are the other three final four teams.

Makes for an exciting weekend ahead!

dave
 JFredMuggs
Msg: 58
March Madness
Posted: 3/31/2010 6:29:08 AM
My bad, I've been making that mistake ever since they switched! It's only been 5 years though since the move, after 25 in the BE. I've followed them that entire time.

And yes there were "a number" of losses to lower seeds. The number is 75% of the league representatives. That's a pretty large number. Notre Dame is the one I'm particularly ticked about. A 6 seed? Based on what? They didn't play a single team in the top 50 during their OOC portion of the schedule. Sure they heated up the last 2 weeks of the season, but too little too late in my book. and then they get a 6 seed?

I'm still pulling for Butler, then Michigan State, WVU, and Duke, in that order. Good teams all though!
 RcknWhtKnght
Msg: 59
view profile
History
March Madness
Posted: 3/31/2010 8:44:54 AM
Butler is the lucky Final Four team this year, they get a distinct home field advantage playing only 5 miles from campus. They can get past Mich St.
WVU vs Duke should be a great game.
 newdejavu
Msg: 60
view profile
History
March Madness
Posted: 4/2/2010 3:46:48 AM
Butler is a good story this year; I'm pulling for them tomorrow night in the early game and WVU in the nightcap. Just hope both games are good like last weekend's games.
 JFredMuggs
Msg: 61
March Madness
Posted: 4/2/2010 7:50:28 AM
It's a consolation prize, but still it was nice to see Dayton win the NIT over UNC. Rhode Island also made it to the NIT Final Four. So it wasn't a bad season for the A10.

But meanwhile back in the Big East, I can only marvel at the cluelessness of the St John's Search Committee. Apparently some backers tried to offer to Jim Calhoun. That had to be the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard. Not too far behind were the attempts to lure Billy Donovan from Florida and Hewitt from Georgia Tech. Why not just throw the big bag of money at John Effin Wooden? And then they selected Steve Lavin? Hope the Johnnies have been enjoying the BE cellar, b/c they're not leaving it anytime soon. That was about the best they could hope for anyway, other than the NYC locale that job offers nothing for anyone at the top of their career arc. Should've gambled with an unproven up-and-comer.
 grandhusker
Msg: 62
view profile
History
March Madness
Posted: 4/2/2010 10:18:47 PM
Lavin, Keady ... what a KOO KOO
bANANA bOY, Stop!!
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 63
view profile
History
March Madness
Posted: 4/4/2010 10:17:08 AM

WVU vs Duke should be a great game.

...sigh...

If only. I guess if you're a Duke fan it was...
 unclecharles
Msg: 64
view profile
History
March Madness
Posted: 4/4/2010 2:17:40 PM
One more game left for my Dukies and its against those upstarts from Butler...I must say that I like our chances even if they show half the effort they did against WVA but I am hoping that they bring the same intensity and level of performance on both ends of the court as they did Saturday night......
 newdejavu
Msg: 65
view profile
History
March Madness
Posted: 4/5/2010 7:55:29 AM
I think the Final will be anti-climactic. Duke is too deep and playing too well; with Butler's Howard either missing the game or being less than 100%; I don't see how they will keep up with Duke. Unless Duke has an off night, don't see how they lose this game.
 JFredMuggs
Msg: 66
March Madness
Posted: 4/5/2010 8:14:33 AM
If Scheyer, Singler, and Smith all play as well as they did versus WVU, then yes it's hard to envision Butler winning this. But it's been rare that all 3 play well at the same time. Duke lost to Wisconsin early in the year, so if Butler can dictate the tempo and 2 of the big 3 are having an off night, then they have a chance. It's pretty slim though, Duke does seem to have the versatility to play it any way you want. Blowout or a grind, either way it seems to have the makings of a boring game.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 67
view profile
History
March Madness
Posted: 4/5/2010 1:48:57 PM
I don't really know Duke at all other than the WVU game, but would note that WVU went from playing one of their best games against KY to one of their worst against Duke, who by all accounts put together one of their best games against WVU.

So.....while in theory Duke ought handle Butler like they handled WVU, it's quite possible on one day's prep coming off the emotional high of Saturday that they may come out flat tonight.

Or not. That's why they play the games.....

Dave
 cinsav
Msg: 68
March Madness
Posted: 4/5/2010 8:44:47 PM
I hate Duke, with a passion. Just another mega-million dollar school that think it actually accomplishes something when it beats a much smaller million dollar school like Butler.

I think college sports in general need have more divisions. There's no point in having a "Butler" in the ranks with the bigger schools that can afford the best of the best coaches and equipment - and paying off players behind closed doors.

Just look at Ohio State... their football program spends 80% of their season beating up on schools three times as small - then of course they go into a bowl game and get crushed. But, still....
 broncsbuff
Msg: 69
March Madness
Posted: 4/5/2010 8:51:37 PM

I hate Duke, with a passion. Just another mega-million dollar school that think it actually accomplishes something when it beats a much smaller million dollar school like Butler

You can hate duke...that is all you. But you cant blame Duke for playing Butler and beating them. Its not there fault that the Cuse, Kentucky, and Kansas all got beat. I agree Butler is probably not the powerhouse Duke is, but make no mistake that Butler team is very good.
 JFredMuggs
Msg: 70
March Madness
Posted: 4/6/2010 6:01:19 AM
Actually turned out to be a great game after all, fitting for a great tournament. It sounds like the NCAA is now going to screw it all up by expanding to 96 teams. Probably a bad move.
 RcknWhtKnght
Msg: 71
view profile
History
March Madness
Posted: 4/6/2010 7:31:34 AM
Could have gone either way with all the lead changes. That last shot just missed barely.

96 teams just means the NIT field would get in as well. Does that mean the death of the NIT?

The play in game should be the last teams on the bubble.
 MrLove45
Msg: 72
view profile
History
March Madness
Posted: 4/24/2010 9:56:16 AM
and with Singler and Smith returning for their senior season as well as a good recruiting class you gotta love Duke's chances of defending its title
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > March Madness