Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Am I the only one turned off by technology?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Praetorian55
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Am I the only one turned off by technology?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

I'm not turned off by technology... I just don't know how to use it.

When I returned to school, I didn't know how to turn the computer on without wine and candles... but the floppy disks weren't floppy anymore. First 2 cellphones I had, I didn't know how to speed dial or program things into them... then I got a crackberry. It uses voice dialing... but it doesn't speak English and #@#$%$ is not a recognized command. I still don't really know what a browser is outside of a store and cookies just make me hungry... We finally got a video game thingy... a Wii. All I do is use the dance feature... even Bingo gives me a rash... I have a radio in my car, but haven't "tuned" it... I can listen to 2 different stations at once if I hit the right areas... and I like the commercials plus they tell me the weather... I don't have HD tv - mine all have big backs on them... I figured if someone wanted to steal my tv, I'd hold the door for them... if they can lift it - it's the size of a buick... the old buicks, you know the steel tanks, not that polymer crap... I don't have a GPS - I like getting lost. If you do it enough, you know where you're going eventually. Think I'll wait out the Blu-ray craze, I'm just getting use to the dvd player... finally figured out how to program a vcr.

Like I said, I don't mind technology.

First off....OMG I just LOVED you in Sex & the City. Miranda's my all time fave!

Holy Hell don't remind of the dark days of flashing 12:00 and tape period (shudder) I try not to gorge myself on tech but it's like leaving the mob "just when I thought I was out....they pulled me back in....with a new toy"

Hell I'm a slave to technology...might as well admit it.
 RushLuv
Msg: 27
Am I the only one turned off by technology?
Posted: 5/3/2010 4:50:26 PM
Guys are always asking me to text

I wonder what things would be like if text messaging didn't exist. Either people would be forced to get their asses on the phone, or some other crap would be created. Sending text messages only gets bad when some individuals want to continuously text, without getting on the phone to have an actual conversation.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I don't have any issues gadgets, but I think some of the things that are being created are quite useless. Like the iPhones for example. I wouldn't even trade my BlackBerry for that.
 ForumFilly
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/3/2010 5:08:46 PM
This is one of the reasons I love my guy... he isn't joined at the hip... or ear... with every new communication gadget that comes out. He has a cell phone that he uses for *gasp* phone calls. He doesn't bother with GPS because he can, and does, read maps. He does have a desktop computer and might soon be getting a laptop for work. He doesn't spend hours zoned into the latest techno device. It seems the younger generation is more inclined to do so, although I do know a few men my age who have rightfully earned the name 'gadget geek'. My son, a computer whiz, has to have the newest phone, computer, electronic thingamajig that hits the stores. He's even worked on developing apps for the I-Phone. But for him, it's a passion and his career. For my guy, he remembers what it was like prior to the technology boom of the 70's and 80's, as do I, and he doesn't care to be tied to a piece of gadgetry. People nowadays can't handle being without their cell phones or PDAs. It's amazing that the human race progressed for all those centuries without being able to text or call someone 24/7. There is life apart from technology and it can be and usually is very pleasant... or at least quieter.
 rex-pilot
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2010 5:54:58 PM

OK WHO THE F**** ARE YOU TO TEASE ME ABOUT MY BLUETOOTH EARPIECE WHEN I'M RISKING A GD BRAIN TUMOR TO KEEP YOU SAFE WHEN I'M BEHIND THE WHEEL. THERES A SILVER LINING TO EVERY CLOUD AND A DAMN TELEPHONE WITH GPS COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE.

That guy that got lost and frozen like a popsicle would have been alive had he had a freaking GPS in his phone.

there is a fine line between use and abuse.

i had a handsfree headset when i was a road warrior and needed to do phone support in transit. i did not use it in the checkout line at walmart "she said and then he said"

i use text messaging, but for simple things like when the helmet is on and i am ready to depart "on my way, be there in 30". i see more and more people texting while driving *shaking head* as if i didnt have enough to watch out for already with you cagers.

i love to play fps's on my ps3, but i will not pass up a trist with my girlie to level up one more time.

i use my cellphone and landline rarely and prefer face to face contact with all of my friends.

-chip
 Naganadoy
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2010 6:06:44 PM
youre not alone. I also think all this techno-stuff is annoying.

and it especially annoying when people use techno gadgets while they are Operating Deadly Weapons (cars). that is really annoying. and especially especially annoying when they KILL people and MAIME people for life cuz they wanted to play with the techno-dealie-bopper.

90% of the conversations and information shared on those techno-thingies is all a brainless-waste-of-time-useless nonsese anyway.

for sure if some dude is stuck on his techno-doo-hickies rather that paying attention to me then i wont be keeping him around for very long. thats RUDE!!!
 Nerdhead26
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/3/2010 6:08:27 PM

I almost feel that is impossible to find a man that doesn't have too many gadgets or play video games...reasonably close to my age. I know boys like toys or whatever... am I just being judgmental, jealous, or does anyone else have these issues.

Everyone has a hobby
maybe a Car enthusiast man maybe your type or not.
his obsession or interest with cars may bug you.
there is always something that some people like a lot a toy a hobby. whatever.
i think you get jealous that they're more into their hobbies and gadgets than you.
I think you're just being a little selfish.
 Abbicci
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2010 6:20:34 PM
Phones are just tools. As tools they are pretty amazing. I flew to Bakersfield tonight and as I sit in a crap hotel room after dinner I was able to call my Mom, my Sister, send a few texts to my baby cousins at college. From that same fancy pants phone I was able to update the office on my schedule for tomorrow, send a presentation to a client and post this. I was able to get directions to where I am going tomorrow and email an old friend with hopes we can meet for a drink while I am in town.

My Mp3 player is loaded with music you won't find on a commercial radio station.

The world keeps moving forward, embrace the advances you want to embrace. Is it irony you are using a computer to complain about technology? Has the computer become like your car or lan line phone that you just take it for granted? Unplug the computer, the refrigerator, the microwave,the TV and all the phones.

Try being Amish and get back to me.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2010 7:36:47 PM
I'm not turned off by technology, I'm turned of by easily distracted people who feel that technology is a good excuse to ignore someone sitting next to you. It's less about the gadgets and more about their personalities. Some have an addiction, some have no tact, and some really don't understand there's a time and place for it.

There are times when these phones and gadgets do amazing things that weren't possible a few years (even a year) ago. But there are times and places for 'em.

It's totally genderless as well. I have friends who can't go anywhere or do anything without checking the phone, texting, taking every phone call that comes in, stopping for every e-mail, etc. I have friends who check and use their Blackberrys on dance floors, during dates, on treadmills, you name it.

If it wasn't technology with some men and women, it'd just have been some other thing.

How do you start a conversation with someone who is spaced out because of a gadget jammed in their ear or someone who is trying to break the world's record for the fastest and most text messages?

The problem is that those who are on the phone or texting and cross your path aren't hard to get the attention of, if they find you attractive. That all falls under the category of knowing how to read body language, how to approach if you get a green light, and how to gauge response to you during a conversation. If the right person crosses the path of someone using an ipod, or a phone - no attempt to connect is needed.

Those things are just a good excuse not to have to interact with those you don't have interest in.
 Maleman999
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2010 7:37:56 PM
What gets me is the advice people give when someone complains "Where are the good, attractive single men/women?" People will respond with advice of going to the supermarket and chatting up strangers there, join a gym, go to public places where there's a lot of people and start talking to strangers, etc. The problem they overlook is a lot of these people-especially the 30 and under crowd- have an electronic gadget rammed in their ear to tune out the world. I'm tempted to look in their other ear to see if went all the way through. And a lot of them are chatting away to whomever is at the other end of their bluetooth hanging from their ear. How do you start a conversation with someone who is spaced out because of a gadget jammed in their ear or someone who is trying to break the world's record for the fastest and most text messages? These people would totally freak out if someone actually tried talking to them in real life. Some teenagers text each other when they're walking down the street side-by-side.
 DoubleOhmSeven
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/3/2010 10:22:47 PM
Hell, I *work* in technology but I try to limit its pervasiveness in my life. I do have a few gadgets: an iPod and a very simple cellphone. While I have a Facebook account, I keep my profile locked down and I don't post much information on it. If I need to discuss something important with someone, I do it face-to-face whenever possible, not over the phone, and definitely not via text.

I've always felt that technology enables people to behave badly. Technology is a great tool, but much like anything else, it can be abused.
 *~*ChardyGirl*~*
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/4/2010 1:12:45 AM

Get used to it or go find yourself an 62 year old former pervert to date.

You're not going to find a guy - a real guy - who doesn't dig the gadgets. Unless he's a fairy like homo in which case he wouldn't want you anyway.

Is this response really necessary?
Why are you so pissed off with this Q? *shrug*

Op's got a valid pov,and,im with "Peppers" and "Deborah" in that im Wilma from The Flintstones,complete with the red(auburn)hair.
Technology is fantastic but i take a looong time to catch up with it,
My computer is still a bit of a mystery to me,but im a whizz at texting ;)
I'll NEVER get a gps or a blackberry (is that a diary?) though.
Simple things for a simple gal..........
 valenciacityx
Msg: 37
Posted: 5/4/2010 1:44:36 AM
get off grid every week. just unplug, be unreachable, leave the GPS at home, grab the map, the compass and head out to the trail.

I always get a kick out of the people 'lost' because they didnt charge their GPS. Silly yuppies.
 afashionlady
Msg: 38
Posted: 5/4/2010 4:09:38 AM

I'm not sure if you have a point since it looks like you have cell phone glued to your ear in that bowling lane.

HAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...sorry OP but yeah, he's got a point. I don't know how one bowls and talks on a cell phone at the same time...but you did it. You might wanna take that pic down after this thread...just saying.

I LOVE technology and honestly I'm a geeky girl. And because of said geekiness my job keeps me busy and employed. But I get what you're saying. I don't like dealing with someone who wants to text all the time either to be honest with you. I like to text but it's not the end all and be all. I haven't bought my IPad...yet. But will. I do turn off...I don't believe in being on a date with everything buzzing and texting. Again...there's a time and a place for it. I have a Bluetooth because I drive a lot...and it has voice announce on it so I press a button and keep going. But I'm not someone who'll constantly be on a phone...in the mall...in the BATHROOM (WTF is that about?? Some lady was in the potty on her cell...I made sure to flush twice and cough...no convo is that important).

As one young man said perhaps the type of guy for you will be one who's into cars or something else. And no, she doesn't need to find an older man--that's ageist and ignorant. There are a LOT of guys who would, for the right woman, turn things off. Trust me.
 sanyoman112
Msg: 39
Posted: 5/4/2010 4:27:11 AM
What gets me is the advice people give when someone complains "Where are the good, attractive single men/women?" People will respond with advice of going to the supermarket and chatting up strangers there, join a gym, go to public places where there's a lot of people and start talking to strangers, etc.

These people would totally freak out if someone actually tried talking to them in real life.

LOL....
Agreed, and when it comes to online dating, it just adds to the mix.....some people, esp. women aren't too thrilled about being approached in public, esp. if it's a guy who is interested in them. They have this, "Why is this guy talking to me?"I didn't ask him to approach me."

But, they go home, get on a dating site or social networking site, and feel more comfortable hitting the delete or have the option to ignore, where as in real life, they're stuck as a "captive audience" if you will listening to a guy trying to get to know them.

I have had heard women say, "When I'm at a dept store or out shopping, I'm there to do my thing, get my products, and get out of there. I don't like it when someone at the store is trying to talk to me." I'm not sure why they would say this, what's the rush to get out of there? What's this "mission" you're on to get in, get out, and leave?

I've even heard people admit they prefer online dating than real life mixers or other singles functions.

Some are just not used to that.

I'm not turned off by it, I just see it as another means to communicate, it's all in how you use it.
 sweetest
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2010 4:47:49 AM

Stop hating ...guys need entertainment. Trust me you're gonna be bored our your freakin' mind after 10 years of the same guy. Enjoy your free time because we don't do nothing but get crankier and more sedentary as we get older. You're gonna wish your man would STFU for a change and pick his phone up or play a GD game.

^^^I guess some things don't change too much. Remember Grandpa heading off to the basement, tool shed or barn?

I think until you see get your head around to trying different things, it's hard to see what a lot of this stuff brings to your life in terms of practicality and utility. Keeping an open mind is different from going out and plunking down cash to have the newest and the best of everything that blips out there. Happy_go_lucky in his post does suggest another reality that I'm not fond of either...so a 'happy mix' a blend...open, yet not a slave seems the best. A lot of a couple's resources can be sucked up in keeping up with the newest rage out there...is there a gadget that can reduce the bickering around that?

While technology facilitates much in our lives, there can be a cost to having that. It seems common now to see people placing a huge reliance on tools to function for them in a way that they always capable of before. I see tech advances as a way to enhance...and while I'm still the best back-up for my own life, it would be hard for me to be with someone who didn't get this, at least this degree.

I recently became a fan of the GPS, but even then, I use the GPS primarily to augment what I already mostly know, to fine tune my understanding of where something is in relation to where I am---rarely to actually find something without any understanding of what direction to go, or to be clueless about what arterial will best get me there. To my thinking, there is nothing that beats the potential of the GPS to save a relationship....all that bickering...all that posturing...all those missed exits drama vanish with the voice...

Quirky but true, I still know about 15 or so important numbers and can recite them without checking a device..Knowledge bank tools/toys are great, but I can't tell you how many times I've asked people to give me their number and they don't know it...have to find it in their phone; or want to call my phone so I have it.

When the fail safe tech gadget eventually fails as they all do, I refuse to be brought down and stuck by not knowing a prefix and seven digits. Technology has never been everything to me, so I don't treat it as such.

Tech offerings provide speed, access, and convenience and are out there in their multitudes. Instead of being swayed about the promise, I fire up the really big gun and think. We really don't need to embrace everything---case in point, the roomba....
 Zuglo
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/4/2010 5:08:11 AM
No you are not..Count me in..
Not long ago I got a third degree for not having text on my phone!!
But let's face it, cell phones does make thing easier, not have to look for those payphones, sometimes they don't work anyway. Speaking of payphones.
Once my "date" was late, when she arrived she apologized fro being late, she said she couldn't call e and let me know, becaue her cell phone wasn't charged.
I told her, that she could have used the pay phone, the look on her face was priceless.
I could tell she wasn't even thinking about that.
But anyway, those gadgets, like cell phones, do make things easier. Looking for a Chinese restaurant? Option one, get a phone book, looking through pages, and you still have to open a map, you know what that is right?..LOL
Option two, type in Chinese restaurant, and there it is, where is the closest one, and how to get there.
I do feel it makes people lazier, and dumber. Sorry.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2010 5:09:51 AM

Agreed, and when it comes to online dating, it just adds to the mix.....some people, esp. women aren't too thrilled about being approached in public, esp. if it's a guy who is interested in them. They have this, "Why is this guy talking to me?"I didn't ask him to approach me."

Men approach you who AREN'T interested? I gotta ask when this happens.

But, they go home, get on a dating site or social networking site, and feel more comfortable hitting the delete or have the option to ignore, where as in real life, they're stuck as a "captive audience" if you will listening to a guy trying to get to know them.

Men who don't recongnize body language or conversation that says "not interested" will no doubt deal with this.

I have had heard women say, "When I'm at a dept store or out shopping, I'm there to do my thing, get my products, and get out of there. I don't like it when someone at the store is trying to talk to me." I'm not sure why they would say this, what's the rush to get out of there? What's this "mission" you're on to get in, get out, and leave?

As I posted earlier - this applies to men they aren't interested in, that's all. Men they find attractive and have interest in they have time to talk to, or at least exchange information with. And there's nothing wrong with that - I'm sure men don't approach women they aren't interested in either....at least not in my experience.

I'm the type that will chat with everyone if I am not on a tight schedule but it doesn't mean I want to date them - but I'm a rarity. So far I've chatted with a lot more men I wasn't interested in than men have approached me that weren't. But I'm hopeful that someday one will approach me to actually just talk.
 forums1
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2010 5:12:16 AM
Heh, I *work* in IT - yeah, I have a cell phone (with a camera even) - it was the free one that came with the plan 3 years ago. No iPhone, iPad, crackberry, etc. Don't need one, no desire to have the internet with me 24/7 (I'm on the damn computer 8+hrs a day anyways for work). Don't really play video games (I do on occasion check out a new one, a coworker gave me a copy of quake4 a few years back, played for a few days and got bored with it). I do download movies and such on the computer though.

The cell phone, well, I do use it for calls (use those minutes), but I often forget to bring it if I'm close to home (I do take it on longer "road trips" just in case something happens and I need a tow or something.. or to call and say "I'll be there in 1/2 an hour or so"). Oh, yeah, and to occasionally order a pizza on my way home. Definitely not "tied at the hip" to it though.

Then again, I have an electronics hobby - so I have the oscilloscopes, logic analyzer, etc. Those to me are "tools" though, not "gadgets" I use like an addiction.
 sanyoman112
Msg: 44
Posted: 5/4/2010 6:26:50 AM
So I guess is all based on wether they're interested or not? Good point and fair enough. However, I never heard a woman admit to this though, they just speak in general terms, "I don't like it when a man approaches me" but, I never heard them say, "I don't like am an that I'm not interested approaching me at the store."

They just speak about men in general as a whole approaching them, they never mention wether or not they're interested in them.

Though, the headset they choose to keep on or use as an excuse to ignore someone really takes away the opportunity to at least talk to them.

In the old days, people had no excuse and just sat their and listened and actually got to know the person, and realized, "Hey, this guy/lady is a pretty good guy/gal, I guess I'll take them up on that dinner invitation."

Of course, I would imagine they had SOME way to get away from a guy that might've been truely rude or obnoxious like "Well, look at the time on the town hall clock! Gotta go!" LOL
 DrummingNut
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/4/2010 7:12:17 AM

ker'plunk my $.02

That brings to my mind the cost of these technology things ... and the monthly cost of keeping them going.
I can not believe, in the difficult economy of today, how people can afford those monthly bills!!
And ALWAYS people will come back with something on the line of "oh mine doesn't cost much.. I'm on a good plan... I get free minutes... bla bla bla".
Bull.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2010 7:29:06 AM
You didn't quote me but I assume you're responding to my post.

So I guess is all based on wether they're interested or not? Good point and fair enough. However, I never heard a woman admit to this though, they just speak in general terms, "I don't like it when a man approaches me" but, I never heard them say, "I don't like am an that I'm not interested approaching me at the store."

They may not know that, they may not want to say that, but it's basic common sense. Just like men don't tend to approach women they don't have interest in, women tend to not want to talk to men they aren't interested in.

They just speak about men in general as a whole approaching them, they never mention wether or not they're interested in them.

If they are anything like me, it's because 98% of the men that do approach them aren't of any interest. The ones they do like aren't frequent enough to mention.

Though, the headset they choose to keep on or use as an excuse to ignore someone really takes away the opportunity to at least talk to them.

Assuming they want to talk to a man they have no interest in in the first place. You're assuming that because you want to talk, they would. Projection.

In the old days, people had no excuse and just sat their and listened and actually got to know the person, and realized, "Hey, this guy/lady is a pretty good guy/gal, I guess I'll take them up on that dinner invitation."

You don't want women who aren't really into you but want to be sure or have nothing else on the horizon right now eating up your dating budget, do you? I'd assume you only want women to date you because they are actually interested in you - no?

Of course, I would imagine they had SOME way to get away from a guy that might've been truely rude or obnoxious like "Well, look at the time on the town hall clock! Gotta go!" LOL

They probably sat thru a lot of dates with men that they considered lukewarm. I don't know about other women, but I'd rather have the option to skip that.
 sammylg
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/4/2010 7:56:21 AM
I like technology for what it can do for me, not for the sake of technology itself.

I bought a thousand dollar camera because I am developing a big interest in photography.

I have a GPS because I travel by car alot and tend to get lost easily.

I have two cellphones, one for work, one for me. One is a blackberry because I the company I work for wants me to access my secured corporate email. The personal one is not a smartphone.

I have an IPod because of my love of music.

And I leave all of it behind when I'm on a date (except the cell phone, which will be placed on mute) because I love human interaction more.

Things I don't like about technology:

1. People who buy Blackberries or smartphones because they "think" they need it, when often 80% of them or more are basically throwing money down the toilet.

2. People who substitute technology for human interaction (like spending all your time on POF forums... ).

3. People who say that technology defines them...I find that to be a sad statement in our organic world.

4. People who will throw away perfectly good technology when something new comes out. I personally see that as a waste and not healthy for the environment.

5. People who see technology as a status symbol, as if owning a limited edition gold iPhone makes you better than the person who has a regular iPhone.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2010 8:11:38 AM
It sounds to me as though the OP just really wants the personal touch from a mate. I can go for that. The gadgets are cool, and often useful, but they also can get in the way, emotionally as well as physically. The 'texting' instead of phoning is an especially common complaint, which I agree with. Someone with a ton of gadgets can easily make you feel as though you are just another one of their gadgets. They appear to enjoy the act of texting you, more than the fact that it IS you they are texting.
I do have a few gadgets, and I do like what they've done for me, starting with the first phone machine that took calls for me when I couldn't wait by the phone. I've hated every cell phone I've had (they NEVER work as well as advertised... the "can you hear me now?" guy is obviously a delusional nutcase!), but I do very much like being able to occasionally know about a change of plans when I'm mid journey, instead of going all the way there and having to turn around.
Basically, the OP just needs to find a guy who uses his gadgets to GET CLOSER to her, and not to distract himself away from her. I bet she will. Then she wont hate the gadgets any more.
 83GS650
Msg: 49
Posted: 5/4/2010 8:49:15 AM
I think like anything else balance is the key. I do own a GPS, but only take it out of the house if I am going on a road trip and want to save printing out directions. I always have it on silent and often ignore the suggested route and force it to recalculate at least 5 times a trip. I still preffer to explore, get lots, and find my way out of it. However when it comes to guys who refuse to ask for directions it might be in your favor if they have a GPS lol.

as far as the other stuff... well I still have a record player and love it but can not fit that in the car so stick to the radio or a cd in the car or tape in the truck. I do have a small I pod suffle for the motorcycle but hardly ever use that and just listen to the road. My car actually has a ipod dock in the glove box that puts all the songs on the main radio display... but cant be bothered with that. tbh the radio is how I get most my current news since I dont have cable tv, talk about lack of technology

However I am a nerd at heart and can write code, program databases, and have more computers in my house than people. I have 2 work laptops, 1 personal laptop, and a desktop, then the two oldest kids have their own laptops. I also will break out the video games once in a while... however I think everything has a time and a place and these new mobile devices are skewing that line to much. If I am out to diner I do not need the internet on my phone, I can check my email when I am at home. If I want to take pictures I will bring a camera, I dont need to use my phone and instant upload them to facebook.
 Rarebird76
Msg: 50
Posted: 5/4/2010 9:59:36 AM
I like technology for what it can do for me, not for the sake of technology itself.
Bingo. I've known people who mainly like technology for the sake of it despite how actually useful it is to them. I could tell some stories but they are more sad than funny and really highlight the failure of some people to see what's actually important. I only use technology to the extent I REQUIRE it.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Am I the only one turned off by technology?