Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Am I the only one turned off by technology?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 good_catch77
Msg: 51
Am I the only one turned off by technology?Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I'm a GEEK....I love technology!!!!!!

It's amazing how much stuff has advanced in as little as 10 years. I remember having to go to my college library for decent internet. Now I just pull out my laptop at a local coffee shoppe and can surf away. I've got a Blackberry and at first sight I was in love. A cell phone that I can keep in communication with friends and family. I live a very busy life, one that I'm always doing something. To be able to send a text, IM, email, etc to someone anytime is appealing. I don't have to worry about bothering someone when they are busy and visa versa. I cannot even take my phone out of my pocket at my job, not even to check the time. I had to buy a cheap watch because of this. Gone are huge address books and filing cabinets full of old receipts. Everything is stored online and on my hard drive.

For all the "green" people, we could save a lot of trees with technology. Imagine businesses being able to email your receipt. Just store them on your hard drive, pda, phone, etc....never have to worry about returning items without a receipt.

My problem with technology is the people that are addicted to it. They cannot have a decent conversation without texting someone in between. I get even more annoyed on dates, I'd love for a girl to be able to focus on me not their phone.

Oh well pros and cons with everything and everyone. Best of luck to everyone
 OutMind
Msg: 52
Am I the only one turned off by technology?
Posted: 5/4/2010 1:24:34 PM
I that this philosophy, that before meeting no texting, no IM, and no cams. Just good old-fashioned email and phone. After starting to date, then texting, but only when needed, since it's not a substitute for a real voice.
 navywoman
Msg: 53
Posted: 5/4/2010 5:13:34 PM
Except for the video games; I am very much into new technology but for me it makes my busy life much easier. As for texts; I turn my phone off during the day and only put it on for emergencies so that isn't a problem for me. As for a GPS, I think its better than him driving around for hours because he won't ask for directions. Bought one myself and best thing I ever bought.
 sanyoman112
Msg: 54
Posted: 5/4/2010 5:34:54 PM
Hi Navy woman.....

I see you're a costumer as well....;-) I guess it takes one geek to appreciate another geeks passion in tech stuff. lol
 Megaladonfishy
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2010 6:58:56 PM
The only GPS I need is the one on the boat so i can get within 3 feet of my favorite fishing spot in the dark
 Praetorian55
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2010 7:19:31 PM
The gadgets keep the excitement going long after your woman stops putting out and starts the nag fest. For some of us men it's out only escape.
 Maleman999
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2010 7:38:47 PM

he gadgets keep the excitement going long after your woman stops putting out and starts the nag fest. For some of us men it's out only escape.

LOL.

One thing (among a million other things) I find really weird about modern technology is: how come when I purchase something in a store, the receipt seems to be a foot long? How many trees are destroyed to make a receipt for a chocolate bar or whatever? Before cash registers were computerized, I recall getting receipts that was about an inch long. So much for computers making the world a paperless society, like all of the "experts" predicted. Also, at work, since computers were installed in every work station, I seem to have twice as much paperwork as ever before. The back-up system is a "hard copy"-paper copy-of what's on the computer. I guess there's no faith in storing things on a computer. Computer crash and go crazy-paper doesn't.
 navywoman
Msg: 58
Posted: 5/4/2010 9:17:16 PM
sanyoman112; Hi. I don't think of technology as a geek thing but being quite practical. Now the costumes are a geek thing but also a good way to make some extra money. Cheers.
 Coma White
Msg: 59
Posted: 5/6/2010 12:48:53 AM
Technology allows for some conveniences but I think humans in general are too unevolved to use it responsibly. To most people, a computer is a magic box and they don't know how it works, it just works, and they can't fix it if something goes wrong.
 Invokerrr
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2010 8:39:55 AM
The sun is set to solar flare our asses back to the stone age. I'm not joking NASA is predicting it. So when the power goes out you can be a guide for all the people who forgot to use a paper map.

More to the point, I don't mind texting for minor messages like "I'll be there in 15 minutes" or stuff like that.

But now days people are so good at the little qwerty phones they write these novels and then expect you to answer them the same way.
 mrcs84
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2010 11:01:13 AM
This seems like one of those things where the product is fine. It's the user that's flawed (kind of like guns and birth control).

I also know that some of the things mentioned by the OP really aren't all that obtuse. Everyone these days has a cell phone and a computer. ipods (or any other random media player) are super popular. They're essentially the new CD player. Getting an iphone is just like when people upgrade their phones every 2 years. GPS? Heaven forbid someone wants to know where they are going. I used to have GPS on my phone, but then I found it was cheaper to just by a GPS instead of the $10 a month charge. Unfortunately, I have to pay to update the maps, but I know my way around well enough to manage.

I have noticed, that all of this technology has depersonalized how people interact with each other. It's amazing how many times you'll see someone with company, and they are still texting away instead of having a face-to-face conversation. Even calling someone on the phone seems like more of a secondary option (at least in my generation).
 HardwoodFloorBoard
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2010 2:10:01 PM
Technology is what human beings do.

I have this gadget that I carry in my pocket. It has a blade, a can opener and a leather punch. I have another gadget that is made from graphite encased in wood. If I use the blade on that other gadget to sharpen it, I can use it to make marks whose meaning is decipherable by other folks who know the mark system.

I think my distant ancestors had a form of technology which involved tying pieces of flaked flint onto pieces of wood to make gadgets that they could use to kill animals to eat.

It's not technology in general folks object to, it's just the gadgets that they personally feel no use for.
 DudeistPriest
Msg: 63
Posted: 10/21/2010 2:24:29 PM
I get annoyed too, but sometimes you just have to keep up or get left behind. Having a cellphone just seemed to be more practical after awhile. Then that led to dropping the land line altogether. I got a computer just to get email and get on m*y*space because that was my kids(all adults) preferred method of communication. If I traveled enough I might get I lap top but don't really need it when staying local. As for GPS, no way! Why would I ever want to carry a tracking device? I'm not James Bond, and I can read a map, usually down loaded on my computer from Mapquest or Googlemaps.
 Whole 9 Yards
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2010 2:48:04 PM
Nation of disconnected zombies peering into their phones.
 MisterDynomite
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2010 2:56:53 PM

I mean shit... they've got a cellphone, GPS, laptop, and I pod... but he has to get the Iphone? Is anyone one else turned off by all this technology? Is it wrong to want a man who can follow a map and listens to the radio?

Why does technology frighten you so much?

I don't blame technology... i blame the addictive personalities who latch on to them and abuse them (i.e. constant texting, never meeting face to face, etc)

Technology is both good and bad depending on the person using them. And yhy use an unfolding map that takes up the entire 2 seats in the car when you don't have to anymore?

Nothing worse than having a guy glued to a GPS the whole time we're going down the road.

I can think of something worse..

backseat drivers who insist on giving the wrong directions and who aren't pitching in for gas when they take the car 200 miles off course.

shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 66
Posted: 10/21/2010 4:19:11 PM
I'm both modern and old-fashioned-- I'm visual and audial--I love music and art and I have a laptop, Iphone and Ipod loaded with music and have one of them playing most of the time. I love technology and gadgets, but I'm horrible with the computer ( as rex-pilot can attest to by helping me in the tech forum...). I have a gps but I'm not so great with that either. Love video games. One of my favorite stores is the Sharper Image--

I leave my phone at home or turned off for a date or any other social function.

The only GPS I need is the one on the boat so i can get within 3 feet of my favorite fishing spot in the dark
THUMBS UP
 jamisond
Msg: 67
Posted: 10/21/2010 7:07:38 PM
I feel the same way. I find the mobile technology annoying. there is nothing worse than when you are trying to have a conversation with someone and they stop the conversation every couple of minutes to text or check their blackberry. I for one are not someone who jumps on all the latest trends. I don't own an iphone and I do not need one. I am pleased that their are others that have not given into the flavour of the month, and find this annoying as well.
 jamisond
Msg: 68
Posted: 10/21/2010 7:10:30 PM
Except I like GPS because I suck at directions. But the iphones and blackberry 24/7 is a constant distraction.
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2010 7:18:01 PM
I am not sure if the problem lies in technology or the reliance on the use of technology to the extent that it inhibits the development of interpersonal relationships. A mouthful, know, but I do think it's true. Reliance on gadgets has rendered the masses incapable of normal, uninterrupted human expression, on so many levels. Constant distractions, for sure, how sad!
 xyzone
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2010 8:12:17 PM
No, I like it. I can't wait for when androids are not just phones. Probably not in our lifetime, so you can relax.
 cherryyblossom
Msg: 71
Posted: 10/22/2010 5:51:10 AM
technology is a fun way to keep in touch, but it can bring the worst of people if used improperly.
 ProdigalSon81
Msg: 72
Posted: 10/22/2010 12:40:02 PM
I like technology, but I don't make it my priority. I'm probably one of the few individuals remaining that doesn't own a blackberry or iPhone.
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 73
Posted: 10/22/2010 1:43:35 PM
I love technology to an extent. Cell phones are just so much more convenient. I think video games are fun. The internet is a great tool, and social networking is neat how it allows you to keep in contact with people you might otherwise not.
But i do hate the person who talks on a cell while driving. If you text or talk while with someone else, unless its a real emergency, is very rude.
I also have had people who think having a cell means you must jump to answer it anytime someone calls, and get hurt because you were too busy driving or taking a piss to answer it. Ummmm...no.
If someone did that while out w1ith me i would walk out.

I just put in a landline in my new home, when i got cable service a landline was included in the package, my daughter didnt know what it was. Had a landline at the old house but the actual phone was buried underneath the bed somewhere, never used it.
 frienddougie
Msg: 74
Am I the only one turned off by technology? No, you're not!
Posted: 10/22/2010 4:27:36 PM
And I thought I was the only one. The more and more our lives get integrated to our technology, the further way I want to be from it. Most of, if not all, the new toys are unnecessary in our lives. We seemed to do fine without it before they were invented.

I enjoyed watching Star Trek, but I have no desire to be a Borg. Resistance is not futile.
 RushLuv
Msg: 75
Posted: 10/22/2010 6:21:28 PM

I'm probably one of the few individuals remaining that doesn't own a blackberry or iPhone.

I don't own a cell phone PERIOD. There is something very unique, and special about me.

I am what people would call, stuck in the stone age.

vvvvv

Ohhh RushLuv...marry me!

No problem at all!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Am I the only one turned off by technology?