Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Am I the only one turned off by technology?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 scottey63
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Am I the only one turned off by technology?Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Ohhh RushLuv...marry me!
 aliveandwell314
Msg: 77
Am I the only one turned off by technology?
Posted: 10/24/2010 11:20:21 AM
Its definately overkill and its going to be even more so as everyone tries to outdo each other with the next must-have toy. It boggles me how dependant people have now become that didn't need any of this 8 years ago. Seriously, people cant go to the gym for 45 minutes without text exchanges anymore?
 whytwater
Msg: 78
Posted: 10/24/2010 12:04:48 PM
Its definately overkill and its going to be even more so as everyone tries to outdo each other with the next must-have toy

Pity the same is not true of "adult toys". It's been decades, at least (since whenever they added the buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) since I've seen/heard of any "next generation" toys (when ipod is on its sixth generation, I think).
But this thread seems to lean only on the expediting, latest model mechanisms for communicating with other humans. What's wrong with that? Jean Luc was "absorbed", for a while, with the weird communicator implants, but broke free, good as new. Input is a healthy thing (except for the stuff the repubs put out, lol).
The unfortunate aspect, imo, is that the rapid-fire assault communication weapons strip the users of their training and talents to communicate, and in some cases, delete all the viable, noteworthy content as well. Lol The English language (the only one I know more than snippets of) is rich, complex, laden with mythical creatures and legends of human endeavor, just barely below its well-worn surface. We still have words like "trebuchet", lol, though I'd be hard-pressed to use it in any other sentence.
I blame the state of the gadgetry art, for now, but think it has the potential to improve, and quickly, and, I hope, before the language of the ancients is irretrievably lost. jmho
The rest is just trendiness, fashion, and whatever is chic this month- acquiring the latest new thing to plug in with. jmho
While I would be charmed to find sealing wax protecting a whispering warm note of any kind from a lady, it is communicating that is the bedrock virtue, more so than its morphing forms.
 Crabby_McCrabberson
Msg: 79
Posted: 10/25/2010 9:09:04 PM
Up with texting, yay for texting, give me
much more texting
and much less
"right? so i couldn't bee-LIEVE it, he like totally went and, no no, you're fine, I'm just at the library... he TOLD my MOTHER ....whaaaat? no, he told my... what? i know, right? so he... can you hear --yeah -- he said..... whatttttt? hello? can you hear---- ok i'm going to call you back. i said I'M GOING TO CALL YOU... ah! she hung up !!"
 _Icon_
Msg: 80
Posted: 10/25/2010 11:26:26 PM
The more moving parts it has, the more likely it is to need repair.

My profile use to profess my love of low-tech sturdy things. I had them listed, I think I saved that somewhere, I might use it again.

I prefer to use the right tool for the job. I will usually pick the most simple option in any case, whether its high or low tech.
 leanco
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2010 3:24:02 AM

I don't own a cell phone PERIOD. There is something very unique, and special about me.

Boy, I don't feel so out of place now! .

I am as low-tech as it comes. No cell phone, no GPS, no IPod. Don't want and don't need.

The downside is that I lost out on all the modern convenience that these devices offer, plus also all the hype on the latest gadgetries.

The upside is that I can live a simple and uncluttered life. I can "take time to smell the roses", be out of reach when I don't wanna be reached and gotta rely on my "biological CPU" to plan things out. Because of that, I never miss anything important and I am rarely late for an appointment.

Ironically, my work requires me to be relatively in tune with what’s going on in technology. But even if I didn't need to, I'm constantly reading up on how things work anyway.

I think technology is great and it helps human to progress (not to mention that it gives me a livelihood), but I don't really care to have too much of it in my life. I hope that isn't a great detriment in the dating world...
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2010 4:02:12 AM

Up with texting, yay for texting, give me
much more texting
and much less
"right? so i couldn't bee-LIEVE it, he like totally went and, no no, you're fine, I'm just at the library... he TOLD my MOTHER ....whaaaat? no, he told my... what? i know, right? so he... can you hear --yeah -- he said..... whatttttt? hello? can you hear---- ok i'm going to call you back. i said I'M GOING TO CALL YOU... ah! she hung up !!"

I gotta agree with this. I'd use the phone more often if when I did, whoever was calling got to the point and finished the call quickly.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2010 7:42:36 AM
Not sure what this means exactly.
I like my computer.
I have a cellphone, but I don't have a landline.
I did just recently get a Nook (I work in the bookstore that sells them)
I like my TV and the fact I can watch stuff on demand.

I think there are a lot of options out there, I just don't choose to
own them all. Doesn't mean I think someone who has the stuff or
doesn't have the stuff is better or smarter than me or vice versa.
 tinainhouston39
Msg: 84
Posted: 10/26/2010 9:38:05 AM
OMStars....I love technologies!! I'm not sure how I lived without an i-phone all these years :) As far as communication is concerned...face time first, then text, then email/IM, then phone. In that order is how I prefer my communications. Of course I observe the social faux pos and don't use my phone during face time, and think others should observe these considerations as well.
 jezebellpgh
Msg: 85
Posted: 10/27/2010 4:18:10 AM
Really I remember when the microwave and cable television was new and cutting edge. I work a 2nd job in retail and young person after young person comes through my line and is absorbed in text messaging and talking on the phone. Its like they have a 60 second mindset and can't entertain themselves doing absolutely nothing such as thinking in their heads or maybe reading a magazine. It is sad.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 86
Posted: 10/27/2010 8:10:34 AM
The bottom line for me?
It all COSTS too much.
And keeps ON costing.
It costs in cash and it costs in loss of real-time people interacting with real-time people out in the world.
How the heck can people afford it?
And, do they even know anymore that the actual sky has beauty in it if they looked up right now?
 Just_Jay79
Msg: 87
Posted: 10/27/2010 8:26:22 AM
Three words: ESCALATION OF IMPATIENCE

Having the world and a wealth of digital information/connections brought easily to our fingertips has empowered/advanced our society in a lot of ways, but it has also come with risks and a price: getting easy quick access to anything can also lead to impatience since you're no longer used to waiting, and worse yet, you may have even forgotten HOW to wait.

I was born in '79 (hence the username), and count myself fortunate to have been born just early enough to witness the transition into the Digital Age and the new world of Ubiquitous Computing (for those unfamiliar with the expression, it means computers that are so omnipresent in everything you use and/or everywhere you go that you no longer notice them, i.e. they fade into the background). I can remember a time when most homes DIDN'T have a computer of ANY kind (we didn't get one until the Atari 2600 game system in '84). I can remember a time where you wrote everything down on a notepad or scrap of paper. I can remember long division by hand. And most of all, I remember when if we called someone and no one picked up the phone (pre voicemail / answering machine), WE CALLED BACK LATER.

It is that mentality, the "oh, I guess they're not home, I'll call later and HOPE I reach them" that has died a swift death in the wake of the Digital Age.

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE technology, and even graduated with a Bachelor's in Computer Engineering. But despite my awe at the wondrous evolution of digital inventions, I'm old enough to question some of their worth. Case in point, my PC is 8 years old because quite frankly, a Pentium 4 is more than fast enough to do the personal work of the average layperson at home. Yet we have people getting the latest toy because they can't bear to wait an extra 5 seconds to do something, when what they're trying to do probably isn't even THAT important.

The thing I fear most about this collective epidemic of impatience is the day in the distant future where some "genius" proposes replacing the World Wide Web (www) with the "Global Neural Network" (GNN, completely fictitious example): where they propose us collectively jacking our brains into a neural messaging & file/thought-sharing system to "save us even more time"...

We're already seeing the call for it - office environments where stressed out managers call your extension two SECONDS after sending you the e-mail that they're calling about and expecting it to have magically popped inside your brain instanteously. We need to collectively decide as a society just "how fast" do we need to be rushing, before we burn ourselves out, possibly for good.
 Rarebird76
Msg: 88
Posted: 10/27/2010 10:51:35 AM

The bottom line for me?
It all COSTS too much.
And keeps ON costing.
It costs in cash and it costs in loss of real-time people interacting with real-time people out in the world.
How the heck can people afford it?
And, do they even know anymore that the actual sky has beauty in it if they looked up right now?
I almost feel like a freak now if I just stand and look up at the sky for a minute or 2 and marvel.... I could be Amish if it wasn't for the religious aspect of it..... I always think I was born in the wrong time period or at least location...
 DrummingNut
Msg: 89
Posted: 10/27/2010 3:48:47 PM
^^ one evening I was driving to a business meeting. The sunset was beyond amazing.. it was an incredible show.. I was in awe. It ended as I arrived to the destination. I arrived the same time someone else did.. he drove from the same direction I did. I said "wow! wasn't that a beautiful sunset?!!"
He looked at me blank. He said he didn't notice!

That happened over 20 years ago. It hit home to me that there are people that are just blind to the natural glory of the sky.. even a blazing sunset right in front of their face. I just can't comprehend that, but it's true.

Today? It's got to be even worse.. there's got to be a lot more who draw a blank about anything that is actually all arond them in the 'real' world. How can they know? Their faces are turned downward to the thing in their hand, or the phone/tv/computer instruments in the car, or whatever. I hate seeing that happen.
 JWG86
Msg: 90
Posted: 10/28/2010 12:14:47 AM
I refuse to buy an iPhone.
I refuse to buy a GPS.
When I buy a new car, I will opt not to have the NAV system (namely beacause it's a $3K option in the car I am considering and it won't do anything for the driving experience).

I do have broadband internet and buy a new computer whenever the graphics card cannot keep up with any game I want to play. I do text at times, but not often.
 jezebellpgh
Msg: 91
Posted: 10/28/2010 4:26:43 AM
jwg:

I'll second that I actually read Maps if I am going somewhere new. What a concept.
 JWG86
Msg: 92
Posted: 10/28/2010 7:17:56 AM
Jezebellpgh. I do not use maps. I am a male. I have a certain set of organs that is reputed to function as a GPS device all on their own. Failing that, there is always new construction to be blamed for "detours".
 Mr No Baggage
Msg: 93
Posted: 10/28/2010 8:35:21 AM
I don't have a Facebook account, nor do I text or Twitter.

I email, but that really is an essential means of communication for me. The others are trivial.

My mobile (or 'Cell) phone is a simple, ring in, ring out. No bells or whistles. No camera or video.

Simple. How I like things.
 umbrellaman21
Msg: 94
Posted: 10/28/2010 9:38:20 AM
And most of all, I remember when if we called someone and no one picked up the phone (pre voicemail / answering machine), WE CALLED BACK LATER.

Right, and NOW people can use this tech to ignore people and NOT return their calls. lol!

I think the call screening was derived from the answering machine. I think some people have so much communication tech...that maybe people are being oversatuated by their friends or acquaintences?
 Just_Jay79
Msg: 95
Posted: 10/28/2010 10:12:09 AM

And most of all, I remember when if we called someone and no one picked up the phone (pre voicemail / answering machine), WE CALLED BACK LATER.
Right, and NOW people can use this tech to ignore people and NOT return their calls. lol!

That is funny, but where I was headed with my past statement was that people seem to freak out now if someone can't be reached instantaneously. I've literally had a couple of former dates/girlfriends get PISSED at me because "I didn't respond to their text" quickly enough, when in some cases the Bell server didn't even deliver the darn thing to me until hours later (if at all).

A little patience waiting for someone to get back to you goes a long way, as does freeing yourself of the presumption that they will always be available at your beck and call.
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 96
Posted: 10/28/2010 11:53:22 PM

I was born in '79 (hence the username), and count myself fortunate to have been born just early enough to witness the transition into the Digital Age

I was born right in 1980, i feel the same way. In our age group, its kind of wierd how we spent our childhood and terenage years in anot so high tech world, and then in early adulthood saw the raspid ascent into a technological age.

When i was a little girl, in the early 80's my Grandpa thought he was bad-ass when he got rid of the Beta machine and brought home a VHS for me to watch sesame street on. When he had one of those fax-machines with a phone attached, he thought he was straight up gangsta....lol. Grandma thought she was hip when she had an answetring machine. High school in the 90's, pagers were the in thing to have. people were starting to use the internet, but we thought only complete dweebs would ever use such a thing. When someone asked me if i had email i was like "wtf do i look like a dork to you?". Cell phones were only for the really rich. I had never seen a digital camera until 2005 when my husband bought me one to document my pregnancy and sons birth. I had a boyfriend who had caller ID, in 1998, an d everytime i called him and he said Hello Stacie. i would be like "OMGGGGGGG how did you KNOW it was ME calling?" I kept in touch with people via snail mail, of at all.

I do like technology, but i agree people want you at their beck and call soemtimes.
i have had people yammer on on my voicemail asking why do i have a cell if i dont answer it...omg are you ignoring me....omg do you hate eme...omg did you get abducted by aliens......omg why dont you answer oh lord the world is coming to an end.............all because i had the nerve to not answer my phone while i waas doing things like driving or taking a shower or sitting down to dinner with my family.
But it can be really great. with my cell i dont have to be tied to the house waiting for a call. I can talk to my family and friends in California for nothing, whereas on my landline it would cost me well into the hundreds if not a grand to call cross country.
I can keep[ in touch with people i have had friendships with all throughout my life with social networking, all on one site. I have long lost family members and people i went to kindergarten with on my facebook, that i otherwise would have never ever got in touch with. Email is great for keeping in touch, and there is so much information and things to do on the internet, plus i have made virtual friendships with really cool people i would have never met in real life, due to geography. That little digital camera on my cell has made it possible to catch wonderful random kodak moments in mine and my kids lives.
Technology can be really wonderful when used for convenience and for progress. Though i do loathe when i people talk on the phone everywhere, including while they are driving, or at a dinner table with you. I dont lie when people will use text as the only way to communicate with you. I certainly hate it when someone expects that technology means you are at the beck and call of anyone who deigns to contact you at any given moment. But all in all i love it.
 Just_Jay79
Msg: 97
Posted: 10/29/2010 6:29:21 AM
^^^
Some wonderful little anecdotes in there...

I laughed because I went through a lot of the same shocks! (caller ID, faxes & microwaves blew my mind, pagers, the internet, MP3s, digital cameras).

I was always one generation behind though: by the time people started using cell phones I had just finally resorted to getting a pager, and now that most people live off of "smart" phones like BlackBerry's and iPhones, I just use a regular LG cell. I've just never been popular enough to require the top selling communication devices (3 people call me in a week).

I DO love the digital camera though: I never used to bother taking photos because not only did you have to buy the film, but then you had to pay the developper (pharmacies offered the service) and have some stranger seeing your potentially private photos!

Plus I like being able to just view them on my PC, so I'm glad digital cameras & Photoshop eliminated the need to scan endless albums...
 TallGlass30
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2012 1:09:25 AM
A beat up old chevy isn't exactly Marilyn Monroe, but when it gets me to where I need to go, my experience with it becomes infused with the experience I can have with Marilyn. So, essentially, we get older, we get to appreciate something there in the middle, but what it is, we can't rightly say... until perhaps we can only say we wish it were so.
 Texan_Gal
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2012 4:02:09 AM
I'm a 24-year-old Computer Science major, which I guess makes people assume I must love technology and know everything about it, but I'm so frugal that I consider most of it a waste of money and I don't have the need or desire. I've never owned an Apple product, any of them. I've never owned an MP3 player. I've never owned a laptop. The desktop I own is 7 years old. I've owned two cell phones in my life: one for 3 years, and the current one which I've had more than 4 years, and neither has been a "smart phone". I use Facebook strictly for family and three close friends. I very rarely text. I really don't think I could stand the type of guy who has his nose stuck in his phone all day, and unfortunately, that seems to afflict the majority of people in my generation.
 Infinity_G
Msg: 100
Posted: 5/12/2012 4:04:05 AM
I don't own a cell phone PERIOD. There is something very unique, and special about me.

Wait, you're only in your 20's, and you do NOT have a cell phone? I was looking to see what country you're from, and you'er in America? Do friends of your generation tease you about it right?

Interesting though, how some people don't have a cell phone, but yet they have internet access. Wonder how this came to be since cell phones were more common than the internet when they first came out.

One can't be turned off by technology if you're on POF posting on a message board.

What I am also noticing, that the more communication tech exists, the more likely (esp. when it comes to dating and socializing) that people seem to use that tech to IGNORE people as opposed to return their calls/emails. lol
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Am I the only one turned off by technology?