Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you date a man who is in a tribute band?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MJ Preston
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Would you date a man who is in a tribute band?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
laughin my frickin ass off.

you kidding?!?! that's awesome!!!!

rock on sistah!
 arwen52
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Would you date a man who is in a tribute band?
Posted: 6/12/2010 5:29:12 PM
KISS - not my style so probably not.

On the other hand, at least he doesn't play banjo.
 forumfishie
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/13/2010 1:55:54 PM
"But I NEVER wore the required costume to practice. I'm pretty sure KISS didn't wear make up in the recording studio."

The day I met the band , the were all dressed up bacause they had a gig to play later that day, that's why he wanted me to come by and see them.
I sure hope they don't put make up on just to practice

I asked people who are or were in bands and the answers are different
some say they only practice once a week, for a couple of hours, some only practice if they have a gig soon.
This band has been together for 3 years, you might think they have this down to a science but if they practice just because they like it, it's OK too, like some people here have said, there are lots of other worse things he could be doing.

Thanks a lot for the input!

Jayderaven
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2010 2:23:31 PM
I think that's awesome! :) Are they any good?

Why wouldn't I keep dating him? Sorry, I'm confused as to where the issue is?
 79jonn
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2010 2:50:21 PM
this obviously is his passion and makes him happy.............why would you want to take that away from him??

let him be happy. He seems like a nice person, and if this is what he likes doing, why not?

if you're not into it. It's best finding someone else. But i think it would be unfair if you expect him to change for you.

good luck .
 Shoedaddy
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2010 12:13:46 AM
Nah, if I were you OP i'd probably return the calls from Brad and Denzel and let this guy go.
 afashionlady
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/16/2010 4:17:58 AM
Oh FFS...

Are you actually gonna dump the guy because he's remotely interesting?

Would you rather him be doing other women or men, or gambling, or smoking crack...or worse? And he's not a cross dresser.

Ask him about it. Find out why other women had problems with it. Get to know the guy and THEN decide if he's weird or not.

Hell...what's the worst that can happen???
 MizBex
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/16/2010 6:31:57 AM
I think that is a hoot and I have to agree, a lot more interesting than anyone I have met in a long time too.

I think that would be someone who is a LOT of FUN.
 Sweet_Sensations
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2010 10:13:18 AM
Lots of people posting they can't see what the problem is.... I don't think there is one.

Just posting to brag.

Rock on chickie!

~SS~
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2010 1:06:34 PM

if they practice just because they like it, it's OK too,

that's my take. these guys are friends united by a common passion, so of course they like to indulge it. it's not about sharpening their set, it's just about the fun of playing

i was briefly in a cover band that played maybe two shows a YEAR but got together every week. they were just five guys and a girl (the singer, of course) who based their socializing around playing other people's music.

op, the only issue i could see, based on what you've written, is the amount of time kiss dude has invested. four hours four nights a week means you'll never have more than every other night unless he wants to change. if that's not enough for you, he might not be the guy for you.
 _Icon_
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/16/2010 1:13:09 PM
Are you kidding me? I wouldn't even blink. I prefer Space Ace, though.

I played with a David Bowie cover band for a while, do you know how difficult is it to play music composed by David Bowie? We shoulda worn Ziggy Stardust outfits but we didnt.
 _Icon_
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/16/2010 2:07:17 PM
Groupies hang out with guys like Steven Tyler and Joe Elliot, they dont hang out with middle-aged accountants who dress up like KISS.

Groupies? Oh Lawdy.

Let a guy blow off some steam, at least he's not drinking himself to death.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/16/2010 3:50:55 PM
Does he think he is Gene Simmons?
You have to decide..if all that practice and him going to play that often bothers you.

Does he drag you along if you don't want to go? Lot of things to take into account.

How much are you into him ect.

I liked KISS in high school but I think if thats all he plays it isn't like it would be cool to go and listen to him more than a few times..So I am leaning towards NO....if I am expected to attend much..

Beatles??? Yes. They have enough in their collection and different types of music from over the years I would not get sick of it..esp if he was John..
 beehearnow
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/16/2010 3:51:31 PM
Sounds like lots of fun to me...just don't expect him to choose between you and his music...

On the other hand, at least he doesn't play banjo

Hey! drummers are worse...
 forumfishie
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/16/2010 6:34:42 PM
Yes, davidpiano, I thought about the time, that could be tricky

He wants me to go see him PRACTICE? Not perform but practice?
I told him I think is a great thing he has going with his close friends, all of them 40 to 44 years old, all of them accountants, that's nice they have something they enjoy and they get to spend time together. I think is cute.
They perform only once in a while, once every 4 or 5 months, I have no problem going to see that, but he mention yesterday, how come I don't come over to watch them practice more often?

I guess Tribute bands DO have groupies and I wasn't aware I'll be appointed captain groupie.

I'm all for respecting and even encouraging artistic outlets such as a band or painting or whatever but then I couldn't go sit in the garage and watch them play for 4hrs.
I work out 2 hrs a day 5 days a week but I don't need anybody to come and see me sweat on the treadmill.

I said I could maybe once a week for about and hour?
He is not happy with that
Am I being unreasonable?

He got quiet and then said , "You know other women pay to see me play"(it was on the phone, so I don't know if he was kidding)
What to do?
I do like him, I don't want to hurt his feelings because he seems so nice but I don't like kiss that much to go listen to them for that long either.

He sounds like he is taking this KISS business too seriously
He might really think he is Gene Simmons

vvvvvvvv lol That's what I want to say, but then he'll be ofended.
 _Icon_
Msg: 41
Posted: 6/16/2010 6:45:07 PM
Other women pay to see him play? Is that supposed to be some kind of threat? Come endure my boring practice or I'll let someone pay me?

Ok. gloves off, the spandex is now open for ridicule.

Tell him to get over himself.

I'd say it like this, "Get over yourself because I already have."
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 42
Posted: 6/17/2010 3:20:04 AM

"You know other women pay to see me play

Oh hey yull NO..he didn't ...........Lmaooooooooooo

Pay to see middle age men acting like KISS???

Not any women I know. He is an attention whore..literally.

Who for freak sakes? High school reunions?
Women that missed the real kiss groupie train?

Maybe he should book a cruise ship for sexy seniors and be all that. * rolls eyes*.

Heard enough...move on.

As said before he is to much into himself, so won't be into you.
 CookieLady66
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/17/2010 5:48:07 AM
Absolutely...as long as it isn't his "day job", and the band must be one I like!!
 _Icon_
Msg: 44
Posted: 6/17/2010 7:12:14 AM
So does he wear black spandex while other women pay him? Does he have a dry ice machine that other women pay for?

How much do these other women pay? Do they pay him for private performances?

Is he talking about the cover charge the club gets at the door in order to pay the entire band and accompanying staff or does he get a special cut?

How much moolah we talking about here?
 bluesandrock
Msg: 45
Posted: 6/17/2010 8:40:39 AM

but he mention yesterday, how come I don't come over to watch them practice more often?

I know every band is different but most I know do not want SOs hanging out around practice. He might want you their but the band might not.

He got quiet and then said , "You know other women pay to see me play"(it was on the phone, so I don't know if he was kidding)

I would have said "I bet many ask for a refund after the show"
 carolann0308
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2010 9:23:23 AM
I'd find it humorous and be happy that he has a hobby that allows me plenty of private time to myself! As long as he did not expect me to show up at every gig or hang out nightly while they practice, it would not bother me a bit.
 forumfishie
Msg: 47
Posted: 6/17/2010 10:37:35 AM
He claims the women who hire him to play gigs, twice a year or so, pay to see him play, therefore I should feel honored I can see them practice anytime. (sight)

I called him yesterday, he didn;t pick up, probably practicing with the band and left a message saying, I'm happy he likes Kiss and spending time with his band mates and I encourage him to do so, but I do too have hobbies (working out is not really artistic but it's my hobbie)so he should do his thing and I should do mine and then we can spend time together when he is NOT practicing.

He broke it off this morning via TEXT, he says he wants a woman who is there for him and I don't seem to be impressed or even interested enough to show for him when he needs me.

What?
Am I his mother? I need to go see him practice everyday or It shows I'm not interested?

I tried, but I can only do so much.

Oh well, another tribute band groupie bites the dust.
Is there a tax deduction I'm missing here?

I've been dumped by a Gene Simmons wanna be!.

When I saw them all dressed up he had black spandex on, the whole outfit and make up, wigs etc. Not for practice but when they perform.
vvvvvv
 _Icon_
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/17/2010 10:51:20 AM
I've been dumped by a Gene Simmons wanna be!.

I've been dumped by worse.

Does he really wear spandex?
 anonymouslyme
Msg: 49
Posted: 6/17/2010 12:03:09 PM

I should feel honored

I don't seem to be impressed enough

What? You didn't want to spend the rest of your life worshipping and aggrandizing him, bolstering his delusion that he IS in fact, Gene Simmons? Bad girl! Go to your room!
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/17/2010 12:35:31 PM

I don't seem to be impressed enough

WOW ..Now how did I know that?

He is impressed enough for both of you..
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you date a man who is in a tribute band?