Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you date a man who is in a tribute band?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 REDDRAGON.
Msg: 51
Would you date a man who is in a tribute band?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
As long as he isn't spitting blood all over himself 4 times a week I don't think you should have any issues................................................................................
 GotAHubCapDiamondStarHalo
Msg: 52
Would you date a man who is in a tribute band?
Posted: 6/17/2010 2:16:49 PM

When I saw them all dressed up he had black spandex on
Actually, that seems like an excellent idea. He can ride his bicycle straight to the gig after practice!
I know he broke up with you, but if you are still speaking, you should suggest next year he offer a free tax return prep with each gig. Maybe he would impress more women.
 thirdAxisDweeb
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2010 3:02:33 PM

I would think you might find it an interesting ride with resolve to problems you may have had in previous relationships.

Aside from musicians capably being passionate individuals, music is a great creative outlet, and you may enjoy the recharged, pleasant person as a result.
 forumfishie
Msg: 54
Posted: 6/17/2010 7:12:45 PM
Peppermint Petunias, you called it!
He sure thinks a lot of himself, good for him.

FireC, yes, that would be a good idea, gig+tax return, or even just a car wash, I would've been happy with that.

Too bad I got the Ax!
 *Imperfection*
Msg: 55
Posted: 6/17/2010 8:31:58 PM
only if he was in a tribute hair band and wore those painted on jeans... and looked like the lead singer of White Lion. Id be all over that and then some.
 carolann0308
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2010 8:36:44 AM
Watch him practice? That would be an activity for a person with no life. He sounds like a guy looking for a groupie not a GF.
 Sweet_kisses05
Msg: 57
Posted: 8/25/2010 6:40:22 PM
Sorry noway not interested
 Helen0426
Msg: 58
Posted: 8/25/2010 9:38:28 PM

He broke it off this morning via TEXT, he says he wants a woman who is there for him and I don't seem to be impressed or even interested enough to show for him when he needs me.

Good heavens. He's going to have a hard time filling that bill, if they practice 4 times a week for 4 hours at a stretch... that's a heck of a lot of time to just hang about. I like KISS - a lot - and some tribute bands are very good. But when you're not in the band yourself, there's a freakin' limit!

Darned shame. It did sound at first like he might be a lot of fun. This degree of neediness is no fun at all.

Too bad I got the Ax!

Heh. Good one!
 UnionJackRichard
Msg: 59
Posted: 8/26/2010 12:03:45 PM
My friend is in a tribute band who lives next door and he is quite a fellow. Personable, polite, NOT the typical rock and roll guitar player who does heavy metal band tributes.

I have two other very GOOD friends from a Beatles tribute band that are quite witty, intelligent and great guys. Personally, if I met a girl in a Joan Jett tribute band and she was nothing like the actual musician, but like my friends, I'd have absolutely NO hesitation dating her or even having a relationship. Her hobby requires talent, hard work, creativity and bollocks.

Shallow if you don't.
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 60
Posted: 8/26/2010 12:19:31 PM
edit:

He broke it off this morning via TEXT, he says he wants a woman who is there for him and I don't seem to be impressed or even interested enough to show for him when he needs me.

ooo i didn't see the follow-up! so he wants somebody to be "impressed", huh. i guess you were supposed to start flinging panties at his feet. lol.
 ladyc4
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2010 3:36:15 PM
Ah yes, how could we have this thread without someone bringing up "Beth"...particularly as the situation turned out.
I think this may be more universal than one might think-not the 'tribute' band thing-hell there are men out every weekend 'playing tribute' to Arnold Palmer, Hank Aaron, the latest pro fishing champion, Fred Bear( or Ted Nugent) or running around a little circle track in a motorized sheet metal box, in tribute to Jimmy Johnson and Jeff Gordon...
But what I have noticed, is that when you get into the over-40 crowd, so many men seem to presume that the woman they've begun to date will simply permit her whole life (outside of absolute necessities like work) to be subsumed in tribute to HIS interests, HIS schedule, to be there for HIM.
I think it's just a middle-age and up guy thing, they still figure that anything a woman does in the way of hobbies,avocation, recreation,outside of work and home/family, is just marking time until a man shows up to give her a purpose in life. When they find out that they would be WRONG in that school of thought, they blame women. Yet suggesting that they find women who have no interests/activities of their own, and then they're afraid she'd be needy or clingy.
Somewhere out there, there MUST be men who have a centered viewpoint and understand that a relationship is a mutual decision,not a gift or privilege that women are all on "hold" waiting to get. But I bet they are on some other planet, playing in a Star Wars "mutant bar" tribute band.
Cindy O
 misszmsz
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2010 3:47:08 PM
Having worked in the Hollywood music industry for a number of years, I can tell you some of these tribute bands are actually better than the real bands, and most should spend all that time practicing original stuff.....if they want to make money.

This is his hobby and it relaxes him to play KISS music 4 hours a day, some guys play golf, surf, build stuff, make art....watch TV...play video games.....is it a dress rehersal everyday.....that might become a problem. LOL

Male impersonators are great, so are the women........met one guy who thought he was David Lee Roth in a cover band, and his best friend was Eddie Van Halen.....they wore their "costumes" out on weekend nights to promote their show.......sometimes it got them laid......better than the guy who works at the grocery store, their real every day lives are mundane.....so they kick it up a notch......but not so far to get hair extensons.

This same guy had a girlfriend who worshipped him as his idol, and loved Van Halen music. She met him when he was dressed up on Halloween at the bank he works for, she liked his purple spandex tights.

Wonder if she she only had sex with him when he was in costume? and she was dressed up as teacher.......LOL
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2010 4:39:23 PM

Somewhere out there, there MUST be men who have a centered viewpoint and understand that a relationship is a mutual decision,not a gift or privilege that women are all on "hold" waiting to get.

well, back in the dim dark past when i dated a couple gals with kids, they were more than happy to join me in my hobbies and fun stuff, largely because they had given up their own for the responsibilities of parenthood. a middle-age man who's been with a couple women like this may come to assume, without selfish motive, that it's the norm for a woman to join him in his pursuits. and likewise, momentum may cause a middle-age woman to leave aside hobbies and interests even after the kids are old enough not to need so much of her time anymore.

so in reponse to your statement, yes, there are such men out there, and yes, they can still be in such situations as you describe, with no one unhappy about the arrangement.

But I bet they are on some other planet, playing in a Star Wars "mutant bar" tribute band.

great line.
 sweetness-one
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2010 2:52:33 PM
I'd take a definite pass too, OP (although I suppose it's a moot point for you now anyway, lol). But, they practice 4-5 times a week, but only actually perform 2-3 times a year?

Umm...yeah, that's not a man trying to re-live his youth, thinking he's Johnny Hot Rod.
 CarpeOmnia
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2010 3:20:23 PM
Would I date a man who is in a tribute band??
I did more....I married him.
If you check out my photos you'll see I even supported him in his fun. I liked that costume so much I think I'll check my makeup and see if I can do it(Paulette Stanley) again this halloween.
I even learned to play "Beth" on the keys...lol.

As long as the guy isn't obsessed with it, I don't see the problem. His bands and the music part of our relationship, is the good memories I am taking with me.
Msg: 66
Posted: 8/29/2010 4:48:13 AM
If it gives someone joy, their life has not been taken over by it,and they keep everything in balance,then why would I reject someone who is in a tribute band? Music is a good thing.It's not like their hobby is selling crack on weekends.
 CarpeOmnia
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2010 11:40:58 AM
Ummmm....remember how I said it was his bands and music that were the good memories I would be taking with me??

I had a good chuckle when I read Ray of Moonlight's post after it.
It was his hobby of crack production (which he no doubt sold on the weekends) that was the downfall of the marriage. He did attempt to allay my concerns that I should have noticed this proclivity before we married, by assuring me that he didn't start until a year into it:)) Bless his heart.
Now...I'm not saying that all folks that play in tribute bands will have this teensy flaw....I'm just talking about my own personal experience.
 anthonyjonathan
Msg: 68
Posted: 8/30/2010 10:36:41 PM
In case you don't know..... It is very common for a man to want to impress a woman.

Lets say you worked you butt off at some skill.

Lets say YOU were in a rock band and YOU spent years developing that talent and skill.
If you brought a date to show them who you are and they acted bored and uninterested it would not be unreasonable or unnatural to feel let down.
We all strive to "Impress" people we are dating and eventually fall in love with.

There is nothing worn with wanting someone to actively support or engage in an activity that means so much to us.
His hobby sounds like something that is a huge component in his life. Wanting her to recognize and maybe appreciate that is normal.
 Helen0426
Msg: 69
Posted: 8/31/2010 8:57:43 AM

Wanting her to recognize and maybe appreciate that is normal.

Sure. But read the update in post #41. He wanted her to hang around for four hours of practice at a time, on a regular basis. She offered to compromise with an hour, and that wasn't good enough for him. He said that other women pay to see him play, so she should feel honored she can see them practice.

So (post #49), he broke it off.

Waaaaaayyyy too needy!
 _Icon_
Msg: 70
Posted: 8/31/2010 9:41:53 AM
Who has 20 spare hours a week to sit on their butt and babysit grown men?

The issue isn't his hobby, it's his narcissism.
 grizzelda
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2010 11:29:47 AM

His hobby sounds like something that is a huge component in his life. Wanting her to recognize and maybe appreciate that is normal.

Really? What if his hobby was competitive tiddly winks? Why does she have to appreciate and recognize what he does? What if it does bore the hell out of her? Shouldnt he appreciate and recognize that just because he gets a thrill out of pretending to be somone he isnt that not every one else will?
 _Icon_
Msg: 72
Posted: 8/31/2010 1:15:51 PM
I dont really agree. I think you can support someone's hobby without participating in it.

The problem here is not the band, or her disinterest in it.

The problem is that he expects her to abandon her life, time, responsiblites and perhaps her own hobbies, just to sit there and WATCH him REHEARSE. I'm a musician, do you have any idea how boring that is? I might spend hours going over the same passage again and again and again. Never in a million years would I subject someone to that!

The time he is practicing could be used productively, her presence is not necessary. Certainly if they don't perform that often, she would be able to see his performances, but his expectation that she should sit and listen to PRACTICE for 20 hours EVERY WEEK is absolutely ridiculous and very indicative of the fact that he has NO RESPECT for her TIME.

Yeah, come give me an "atta girl" when I have to face a live audience, but trust me, you wont even be welcome at my rehearsal.

She is simply another prop in his fantasy.
 carolann0308
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2010 1:35:42 PM
That would be like hanging out with a guy while he does his taxes.
 mr.evil
Msg: 74
Posted: 8/31/2010 1:47:05 PM
WOW, reminds me of that movie "Saving Silverman"!!

Why not? Your choice, we all have interests and occupations, his seem not so strange as say mine! Hahahaha!!!

Look as I like to say, whatever floats your boat, or band as in this case.
 forumfishie
Msg: 75
Posted: 8/31/2010 2:50:15 PM
To tell you the truth I found it ridiculous
This is a band of middle aged guys who put on wigs and make up and high heels
The real Kiss pulled it off , what, 20 years ago?
There is a big difference between the real thing and the copycats
It's was just embarrasing

These were not musician, playing cool music, having a band with their friends
Not really good at playing either, that's why they practiced so much
They were nerds who never had any succes with the chicks in highschool or college, thinking this way they would attract what they couldn't before
They were so serious about it, it wasn't even fun being around them
But nevertheless, I did say I would be there and watch them play, just not everyday like he wanted me to.

Also I had asked him to join me doing the stairs for exercise by the beach, he said no.

I invited him to play tennis with my friends, he declined too

There was a foreign film I wanted to see, he reply "he didn't want to go to the movies to read subtitles"

He wanted me to be involved with his life but he wanted to make no effort to do anything I like

I'm sure he'll find someone who doesn't mind sitting there watching him play and do taxes for hours end.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you date a man who is in a tribute band?