Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > 45+ men and fashion      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Pilose_Wink
Msg: 226
45+ men and fashionPage 10 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
No you do not have limited choices, you can go to Walmart and buy a casual outfit for $200.00 from underwear to shoes.....If you have no idea what looks good on you, then you won't think that this is possible...If you take care of your body being aware of your posture a piece of clothing can be a t shirt, and cheapest pair of Levi's and you will look good....You can buy a Hugo Boss suit but if you have poor posture are out of shape, with rotten teeth, a bad hair cut, the suit will do nothing for you.

I think I just spit up in my mouth a little. Yeah, $200 buys a lot of spandex and given what I have seen in Wal-Mart’s in my area, I certainly wouldn’t be taking any fashion advice from anyone working there either. Poor posture, out of shape, with rotten teeth, and a bad hair cut seem to be the norm, and lets not forget that ever present tramp stamp that just reeks fashion! Purrrrr! I guess that’s why they don’t advertise suits either.

I wear what I’m comfortable in and yes, I do like to look presentable, but I refuse to spend more time shopping for clothe trying to look like some dandy that I’m not. I dress to fit me, not someone else. At the same time, I have enough experience to know that you don’t wear white socks with dress pants and I also buy my own clothes. No one has bought my outfits since I was 14 and I know how to present as easily in a coat and tie as I do in a home depot.
 mateo45
Msg: 227
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 11/28/2010 10:51:27 PM
"Attention WalMart shoppers..... today on aisle 3 we have a Special Sale on quality wines, including NASCARbernet, Nasti Spumante, and the ever-popular World Championship Riesling...!"
 hippyhip
Msg: 228
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 11/29/2010 11:18:00 PM
A fit body will look good in anything.... ..Levi's are Levi's no matter where you go shop...I seen some terrible looking bodies in Levi's and i seen some rocking bodies in Wal Mart Levi's.
 highhorse65
Msg: 229
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 12/14/2010 10:24:35 PM
i am horrible at fasion, but i kinda go the othre way.... usually dress like a surfer or a gym rat.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 230
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 12/15/2010 1:53:16 PM
My roommate is drop-dead stunning (she wakes up that way and looks that way ALL day long) and dresses impeccably. This:

i am horrible at fasion, but i kinda go the othre way.... usually dress like a surfer or a gym rat.

would be right up her alley. Not everyone views fashion on others as they see it for their own self.
 CompuG8r
Msg: 231
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 3/7/2011 4:44:21 PM
OP Well, who wants to look like a total dork. If you saw several men dressed the way you describe, I'm thinking that you need to move. Grimleys all around should be frightening enough to get yourself and your daughter the heck out of there. Sounds like you may be living in the Twilight Zone.

Everybody has their own sense of fashion. I go for the jeans/casual look. I don't think that will ever go out of style; and, no I don't hike them up just under my armpits. Maybe that's just me though.
 petergun10161
Msg: 232
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 3/11/2011 4:16:13 AM
Hi. I think, for my part that, the question is kinda funny. I look at this one young girl in my work area and she`s wearing her pants really low --- that you can almost see the string behind ( I personally think it doesn`t fit to everyone). But I made a joke one day with them about it . I said, " when I was 20 years I used to wear my pants pretty much lower than my belly buttom and with the age it tends to get higher --- almost to the belly at 40 and way over it as you approach 60 or 70...)" And I made it graphic to them, I almost raised my jeans up to my chest. But it`s true that, there is that image with older folks with their paints hanging pretty high. I personally hope not to get there (smile). But who knows...
 foffeefifo
Msg: 233
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 3/12/2011 11:48:36 AM
Heck, we don't even have shopping malls out here, so that's probably why all the men here get their duds from Jaxon's Five and Dime, not kidding, it looks exactly like Woolworth's caught in a 1930's time warp, wood slatted floors, industrial electrical lights hanging from chains and the men's department is basically flannel shirts, d1ckies and carhartt and levis with lots of Hanes thermal underwear and steel toed work boots. That's the official uniform here and no one deviates, except when they put on their camoflauges they bought over at Jaxon's Hardware and Gun Emporium to hunt ducks or kill bambi

But I sure have gotten to see an awful lot of amazing butt cracks when the plumber, carpenter, drywaller, tile guy bend over, never saw so many pimples and hirsute problems in my entire life. MEN, at least get a BELT!!
 jojoaus
Msg: 234
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 3/12/2011 8:32:01 PM
The pants/armpit nexus is indeed scary but I have to say I associate it with the generation above the 45 year old crowd- my dad's age really. And no, he is not himself guilty of this crime. I do know my mother does have issues with some of his clothing choices and has recently secretly thrown out a hideous ginger cardigan given to him by his mother.... who died 22 years ago

When I was 18, my boyfriend was 31 (a whole nuther thread ) who had awful fashion sense.(Please note I still started a relationship with him despite that. Even at 18 I was not that shallow!!) He asked me to take him shopping several times over the 3 years we were together and boy did we have fun trying stuff on. So there might be something in the concept that men are less likely to make the most of their own gorgeous selves as far as packaging goes. Mind you, where I live I see far more fashion faux-pax from the teen girl crowd... leggins and singlets are de rigeur (now I'm going all French... must be because I am thinking about clothes) and truly, many of these lasses should not be let out the front door.

On a side note, I knew my SO was going to be well-attired even before I met him. We had a dinner date set up which he had to pull out from at the last minute. He called me and said how disappointed he was and that he 'had already picked out the clothes he was going to wear'
 whytwater
Msg: 235
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 3/14/2011 11:45:30 AM
But I sure have gotten to see an awful lot of amazing butt cracks when the plumber, carpenter, drywaller, tile guy bend over, never saw so many pimples and hirsute problems in my entire life. MEN, at least get a BELT!!

Men, 'specially the chunky ones, used to own the butt-crack flash, but no longer, from what I see. It is now the province of 15-25 year old girls, dressed out with the hiked up thong straps. Lol Now, who taught them that was kewl?

Not everyone views fashion on others as they see it for their own self.

Unlike my 20-30 year old daughters, I'm not that concerned what name is on whatever label is on my clothing, but I do lurrvvvvv pockets, lotsa pockets. No decent pair of jeans has near enough of those (and I've learned from the ladies, who never put anything in their pockets, cuz it skews the "lines", lol) , so I add vests, and jackets.
Can't understand why women haven't caught on to the utility of pockets. Purses/pocketbooks are a nuisance; if you need another flash of color for that ensemble, wear a scarf. Lol And noooooo, we never want to hold 'em for ya. lol
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 236
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 3/14/2011 1:47:44 PM
^^have you SEEN what we carry in our purses? Our pockets would be hanging down to our knees!
When I was young, I used to carry the most enormous purse - I remember once someone asking me for a light and I pulled out a hairdryer and a brick...
 ohenryx
Msg: 237
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 3/14/2011 2:00:58 PM
"a hairdryer AND a brick"? Don't you think that was a bit overboard? I mean, either/or, okay, but both?
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 238
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 3/14/2011 2:18:01 PM
yeah I agree..lol.BUUT..they were for two different things. Can't remember why I had the brick in my bag though..ahhh those were the days..
 Laha Math
Msg: 239
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 3/14/2011 4:05:15 PM
Buy my clothes second hand except for business suits which I quit wearing when I left work. Good quality, good fit, good price. I once counted 50 sweaters in my closet, 4 suits, 6 sports jackets, drawers full of drawers long and short (it's bloody cold here in winter). Two drawers of T-shirts, one white and one colours. Don't like clothes with writing on them. Live alone in a 4 bedroom house and all the closets are full, one for each season. Problem with so much stuff, as women already know, is trying to decide what to wear. Much easier for guys to wear the same thing all the time. I like hats and have a collection from from which I get to choose every time I go out. There was a guy near here who was locally famous as a good dresser. Poor as a church mouse. Bought all his clothes used. It's fun looking for stuff and finding something unusual like a 1917 all wool winter cap, and once a pair of genuine red wool combinations with the trap door in back. I'll tell you guys a secret. I get a lot of looks from women because of the clothes. When I wear the 1917 wool cap I get stares from 80 year olds at the mall.
 tangayika
Msg: 240
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 3/18/2011 5:05:30 PM
Hi Army Mon, well, where to begin. I think part of it has to do with north american men being on the bigger side. European men (and many other cultures) are slim and have a tradition of fashion awareness. When you are slimmer, most clothes will look better on you automatically. Being slimmer will also make you want to upgrade your wardrobe. I think I'm going to be real popular with the guys here.

Wearing nice, fashionable clothes is a state of mind that most of my fellow men frankly don't care to be in, because they don't know any better. They believe they are well dressed even if you and I don't agree. To each his own I say. Fashion is so subjective.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 241
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 3/18/2011 6:52:38 PM
Can't understand why women haven't caught on to the utility of pockets. Oh we have. The problem is that adding pockets costs, and the mfgrs are not that interested. I boycotted no pocket stuff for years, and it did no good. But the nice thing about a pocketbook vs pockets, it it doesn't have to be emptied and refilled every evening and every morning, and doesn't need a surface, just nicely hangs there off of the back of a chair till I grab it on my way out. Win some/lose some.

Laha Math
Msg: 242
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 3/18/2011 9:39:59 PM
butt cracks? that's why tradesman's coveralls were invented. with a company logo they make good advertising. people who complain about butt cracks need to hire a better class of tradesman. I suspect people who complain about men's attire at the mall need to shop at a better class of mall. You get what you pay for.
 pootlefarp
Msg: 243
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 3/30/2011 4:02:04 PM
"LOL !!! I would rather date those 45 + guy who's pants are up to their armpit with intelligence ,than those guys who"s pants is way below where they keep their Bratwurst."

What if he's intelligent AND has a visible bratwurst? Aha! Strawberries AND cream!
 ringoblue1
Msg: 244
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 3/30/2011 7:11:04 PM
mostly into jeans...........................
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 245
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 3/31/2011 2:48:54 AM

It's fun looking for stuff and finding something unusual like a 1917 all wool winter cap, and once a pair of genuine red wool combinations with the trap door in back. I'll tell you guys a secret. I get a lot of looks from women because of the clothes.

You don't say?

When I wear the 1917 wool cap I get stares from 80 year olds at the mall.

they're probably thinking ''I hated them then and I hate 'em now".
OT: Clean. Doesn't matter anymore. I don't care what your clothes are like.
Well...sorta...
 ohenryx
Msg: 246
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 3/31/2011 6:27:26 AM

OT: Clean. Doesn't matter anymore. I don't care what your clothes are like.
Well...sorta...

And here we have a "split verdict". Nothing like a woman who knows her own mind. (smile)
 abelian
Msg: 247
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 3/31/2011 7:09:57 AM
^^have you SEEN what we carry in our purses?

Are you kidding? I've always been afraid that by looking and sticking my hand in to move things around, I'd precipitate gravitational collapse and get sucked into the resulting black hole. No way am I going to take that chance.

Can't understand why women haven't caught on to the utility of pockets

I can. As long as women's clothes lack pockets, they will have an excuse to:
(1) buy purses as fashion accessories that will carry thousands of things they will never need, just in case; and
(2) say, ``would you put this stuff in your pocket, so I can leave my purse locked in the trunk?''

But the nice thing about a pocketbook vs pockets, it it doesn't have to be emptied and refilled every evening and every morning, and doesn't need a surface, just nicely hangs there off of the back of a chair till I grab it on my way out.

Which is why stuff only goes into purses, never out.
 forums1
Msg: 248
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 4/2/2011 6:36:25 PM

But the nice thing about a pocketbook vs pockets, it it doesn't have to be emptied and refilled every evening and every morning, and doesn't need a surface, just nicely hangs there off of the back of a chair till I grab it on my way out.

Which is why stuff only goes into purses, never out.

I've been tempted to just leave my tire-iron and jack in the garage at home, because I figure "she's" (currently single) probably got on in her TARDIS of a purse ("its bigger on the inside!")... but, since I'm in the car without her or her purse a lot, a jack is good to have anyways.

mystic_64
Msg: 249
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 4/17/2011 10:30:39 AM
While I'm not into the "Ed Grimley" look...I really don't think fashion should be such a big deal. I find a woman that dresses in jeans and a t-shirt with little or no make-up far more attractive than the walking fashion statement. My reason for it is simple. Fashion, I.E. the need to be "different" is based solely in ego. The need for exclusivity is what keeps people separated.
 larissan04
Msg: 250
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 5/19/2011 5:48:12 PM
I agree with you. I have often met men that are very attractive, early 50s, and there they are dressed like dorks. The worst is when they have really dorky glasses. On the flip side, if a guy is dressed too hip he also looks moronic, so there has to be a balance. Men who wear the Tommy Bahama shirts, and wear dated eye wear simply look ridiculous. That being said, I'd be happy to help a guy out with a nice shopping trip - as long as he would be open to the possibilities. I've given several male friends make overs, and they all reported that the women were checking them out again. Perhaps we ladies need to step up and help these poor men out.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > 45+ men and fashion