Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > 45+ men and fashion      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Janet_Always
Msg: 251
45+ men and fashionPage 11 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I would never give anyone fashion tips or comment on their appearance unless they asked first. No matter how hip you think you are, there is probably someone you know that would love to have you change your hairstyle to better suit your face and hide your greys or update your makeup for this century... and I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate that "help" either.

Leave people alone and learn to appreciate our differences. Even making fun without them hearing is sort of classless.
 ohenryx
Msg: 252
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 5/20/2011 9:11:55 AM

I do lurrvvvvv pockets, lotsa pockets. No decent pair of jeans has near enough of those (and I've learned from the ladies, who never put anything in their pockets, cuz it skews the "lines", lol)

As a lifetime member in good standing of The Girl Watchers Club, I have observed an interesting trend among the younger women (late teens to late 20's). They are now sticking their cell phone in their hip pocket. They buy expensive, form fitting jeans, wear them so tight you would swear that nothing could fit in the pockets, and then they shove an iPhone (which ain't small) in their hip pockets. Which does "ruin" the lines.

Now the older women, 30's and up, wonder around the building where I work carrying two cell phones in their free hand (work BlackBerry and personal iPhone). This of course because they are wearing outfits with no pockets. Go figure.
 larissan04
Msg: 253
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 5/20/2011 6:47:16 PM
Janet -
sometimes the kindest thing you can do for someone is tell them the truth, even if it hurts - initially! telling someone that they dress badly and that they could look so much better might hurt thier feelings, but if they are open minded and you qualify the truth with some encouragement, then it can all work out. if there is one thing that is easy to change it is a wardrobe, or a pair of spectacles. if a guy is wandering around unhappy and wondering why he's alone, well, a little help from a loving female friend just might be the thing to help him be more attractive to the opposite sex. some men just need a lot of help in this area, and actually, there are some men that are color blind and really need A LOT of help in this area. to let a nice, wonderful, good looking male friend walk around looking like a middle aged frump is tantamount to letting a friend walk around with toilet paper stuck to their shoe.
 Janet_Always
Msg: 254
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 5/20/2011 7:56:21 PM
@larissan04 -- I agree that people appreciate honesty and help... so

I would like to help people that are self-imposed fashion-police. You need to stop butting into others' business UNLESS you are ASKED to do so. It gives off an air of superiority, puts people on the defensive and leaves you open to criticism yourself.

There, I know that hurt a little, but in all my wisdom I thought you should just know better (like me).
 spot4username
Msg: 255
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 5/21/2011 5:25:32 PM

Now the older women, 30's and up, wonder around the building where I work carrying two cell phones in their free hand (work BlackBerry and personal iPhone). This of course because they are wearing outfits with no pockets. Go figure.

I haven't seen that at all. I am always in either a dress (sundresses during the day) or jeans. I never carry a purse into a bar. I always put my phone in my pocket along with a single opener for the car and a bit of cash. I see the same thing amongst my friends.

As for the original topic... I see a lot of poorly dressed individuals in my line of work since I work in different bars/restaurants. Unless I am asked my opinion I do not give it.
 larissan04
Msg: 256
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 5/28/2011 1:36:08 PM
Waywardwynde -

You said, "When your name is on the building, you can drive anything you want, wear anything you want," but you are missing the point entirely. It isn't about money; it's about attraction. Sure, you can certainly wear what you want, but what are you trying to attract? I've had many a wealthy male friend complain about not being able to attract a woman. Sometimes it was because they didn't know how to approach women without playing the, "Hey, I-am-rich-don't-you-know-who-I-am" card, which is a HUGE turn off, and other times it was probably because they dressed like dorks, were overweight/unattractive, or going after 20 year old bomb shells. But I suppose if one is trying to attract a fellow frump then frumpy attire will certainly suffice.
 larissan04
Msg: 257
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 5/28/2011 1:51:46 PM
Janet -

it didn't hurt at all, and I certainly wasn't "butting into others' business." I was discussing a topic on a public forum.

and I do know better. I am a friend enough to tell someone when he or she has toilet paper stuck to his or her shoe, and I am a friend enough to tell my pal to wear something else. That's what friends are for. After all, the truth might sting initially, but I think being lonely for a lifetime because one doesn't have a knack for putting oneself together well hurts far more. sometimes a second set of eyes can certainly help.

whether we like it or not appearances matter, and first impressions are often a one-shot deal. but of course you know that already. every single person on this forum knows that already, otherwise we wouldn't agonize over what pics to put up on our profiles, doing our hair before a big date, dressing up for a special occasion, or donning the appropriate attire for a job interview. If appearances didn't matter we'd all be walking around wearing flip flops and sweats.
 Natgoat
Msg: 258
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 6/28/2011 11:51:22 AM
I like wearing things that are comfortable and accentuate my good qualities...
I was never a Baggy-shirt-type...still prefer a Medium...
Recently, my 32" short cut-offs (Same as when I was 18) were described as
'Gay' and 'Feminine'...
(Ladies...Your take..??)
But what do They know??...with their boxers barely on their waistline, and their Knee-length shorts worn at crotch-height..??
 BlueLupus
Msg: 259
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 6/30/2011 12:58:24 AM
Oh yes! Let us just cap on people because they dress different than us, or do not shop at Nordy's like we do. The damn fashion pagans! Smite them and boil them in oil. God forbid that someone reach out to them and extend a helping hand, or update them with knowledge that they may not possess! Not to mention our pretentious attitude that we are "better" than they are because we can buy silk and adhere more makeup to our faces that would make a clown with Barnum & Bailey jealous! Those poor dumb men that will just never be able to ascend to our level "greatness". I pity them. Maybe, and just maybe, they married the love of their life and stayed by her side until she died, and now are adrift in a quagmire of grief and are feeling so lost without her that they really don't give a damn if they live or die, as they will never know the love that they shared with their deceased lover. It is so easy to be smug and prim, huh my queen?
 Janet_Always
Msg: 260
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 6/30/2011 6:56:33 AM

it didn't hurt at all, and I certainly wasn't "butting into others' business." I was discussing a topic on a public forum.

Yeah, I realize that -- me, too. I wasn't implying posting here was butting into anyone's business at all. I meant giving someone your advice/opinion on how they dress without their asking you first.

whether we like it or not appearances matter

I agree with you, appearances do matter. If someone asks for your opinion I think it's wonderful of you to help them out (I've done this as well). But to just come out and tell someone you don't like how they look is not the same as telling someone they have toilet paper stuck to their shoe or food in their teeth.

We all look and dress differently. How can one person assume their sense of style on another? I just find that a bit arrogant.
 T1m34m3
Msg: 261
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 6/30/2011 8:06:52 AM
This whole thread is funny,.. with many of you taking up attack postures as if you were personally attacked.

Here is the way I see things, feel free to disagree;

1) I think her point in posting was simply to point out what she saw and discuss it. And that really should not be a problem.

2) She doesn't like the "style" she observed.

3) She is entitled to her opinion just as everyone else is.

4) She is simply stating her opinion/like/dislike.

Now here is a little of my opinion, I think that there are a lot of whiners on this forum who can't stand to hear any opinion that doesn't match their own. Grow up! I don't agree with everyone opinion but I don't necessarily think mine is right,... it is just right for me. Personally I would think you all would enjoy swapping info. about what you like and don't like but apparently many of you are stuck in junior high. Hey I am a guy I like hearing what the ladies like and don't like. and I'd have to agree Pit pants,... not good.
 Baseballdale
Msg: 262
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 6/30/2011 1:04:08 PM
You know what, even after reading all the other comments to your entry , i have to agree with you,,, i am 45,, and i know what i like in a woman,, i love when she dresses nice and fashionable, its very attractive, men are liars,, tell me one man that doesnt like a woman who looks attractive, nice clothes looks and smells great,, makeup done,,, they love it and they all stand back and look at her,,, so whats the difference for woman towards men,, woman love a man that dresses nice, trims or shaves, smells good,, nice haircut,,,nice trendy fashionable clothes,, its attractive,, it looks as if you care about yourself,, i love the confidence it gives me,,,i dont mind spending a little money to shop at nicer stores,, for nicer clothes,,, plus at least i look different every day, most of these guys look the same everyday day in and day out, just different colors,,,
Men if you want a woman to notice you from others and you want more dates,, and quit complaining about why woman dont want nice guys,, they do,, they just dont want the plumber or the geek at the beach with sandels and colored socks,, quite complaining, do something about it,, lose weight, keep you hair and face trimed, look nice and fasionable, smell good,,, i guarentee you will love it,, more dates,, more looks and more offers,,, along that comes a great feeling of confidence,, self esteem,, i can tell you this i wouldnt want an over weight woman in plaid pants , and a blouse, with flat sandels,, i would much rather look at a woman, at 45 in true religion jeans,, nice top shirt,, and some heels,, mmmmmm very nice
 _xxxxxxxxx_
Msg: 263
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 6/30/2011 5:47:15 PM
Oh yes! Let us just cap on people because they dress different than us, or do not shop at Nordy's like we do. The damn fashion pagans! Smite them and boil them in oil.

oh puhleez . . i'd give uP my first born for a Nordstrom in Canada . . sigh,
men should wear what they want, i don't point and laugh externally, that would
be rude

it's all really subjective and personal, i haven't lived in the city for years, my wardrobe
went from suits and heels to polar fleece, denim, cargos, docs and chucks . . i look like a casual country bumpkin whenever i'm in town..and i don't care, how liberating is that?

*mae* flowers
Msg: 264
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 6/30/2011 6:06:03 PM
Now here is a little of my opinion, I think that there are a lot of whiners on this forum who can't stand to hear any opinion that doesn't match their own. Grow up! I don't agree with everyone opinion but I don't necessarily think mine is right,... it is just right for me. Personally I would think you all would enjoy swapping info. about what you like and don't like but apparently many of you are stuck in junior high. Hey I am a guy I like hearing what the ladies like and don't like. and I'd have to agree Pit pants,... not good

...Very good. *Standing ovation*

One thing about the forums...you're gonna either love them or hate them. Personally, I find them very entertaining...and I never take them too seriously. Every once in a while I run into those whose opinions actually make sense and are of value, like yours.. very good read. btw
Besides, what else is a single lady to do on a Friday night...ok technically it's actually Thursday, but tomorrow's a holiday, so it feels like Friday

...mae
 vapeninsula
Msg: 265
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 6/30/2011 7:07:49 PM
Painting with a mighty broad brush there. You see a couple men at the mall poorly dressed, and voila all men need to shape up.
 T1m34m3
Msg: 266
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 6/30/2011 9:02:13 PM
Oh and here is another whinnnnnnerrrr... it was not said that all men needed to shape up,...good god man learn to read and comprehend.
 Hyeguypa
Msg: 267
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/1/2011 7:25:50 AM
Finally a cool woman my age. The problem is that those guys were dorks when they were born and most likely never had any fashion sense ever. These are the same dudes that will wear long black over the calf dress socks with sandals, plaid shorts and some dumb ass t-shirt that says World's Best Grand Pop.

Thanks a lot all you dorks! You make my life both difficult and yet very easy for me to stand out in a crowd because I am one cool forty something.
 philliesfan25
Msg: 268
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/6/2011 10:19:29 AM
I agree! So many of the men on this site are looking for the perfect woman, but give little attention to their own appearance. I refer to the 70's aviator eyeglasses, 6 pics with baseball caps and sneakers with socks up to the knee! Then there's the part with the comb over. Please take a little time to update your look just a little...peruse the department store ads in Sunday's paper if you have no one to turn to for advice. It will make a huge difference and illicit more interest.
 whytwater
Msg: 269
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/6/2011 2:12:58 PM
It will make a huge difference and illicit more interest.

Illicit interest? That has sumthin to do with sex, right? Hell, I'd be tickled if some lady showed illicit interest in me.

In the summertime, and especially right now, when the temp/humidity is close to that lethal 90/90, it's cutoffs and t's for me (I make the dress code at my place, lol). If I have to leave the premises, I add sandals, a pair of Clark's, 10 years old, but the most comfortable there ever was. lol That's it. Minimum clothes, to minimize wardrobe snipers, lol.

Don't get me wrong, like most men, I'd dress for sexual success if I knew for sure what was gonna knock her low cut socks off (I have no hats, baseball or otherwise, don't do comb overs, often just wear sneakers without socks, but I am partial to the two pair of Raybans I have, lol, and I am not discarding those- I friggin invested in 'em).

That frumpiness virus traverses the gender line, maybe partially due to all the air time Hillary's pastel pantsuits enjoyed.
I still say, regardless of gender, that a burlap bag with a rope belt looks smashing on the right body, whether the fashion mags pick up on that look or not.
 ezlivin313
Msg: 270
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/6/2011 4:35:27 PM
At 49 yrs of age.. I rarely shop for fashion. I have pretty much the same stuff Ive had for yrs.. clothes, cars, friends.. and everything and everyone looks not only great like the day it was bought.. but the day we all met. I say F fashion(sorry) but its not one of the strong points in life. Not for some of us ole fashion color blind peeps that need assistance when its time for a special occasion or two thats coming up. No offence or anything.. but when you buy QUALITY and keep it in good form(even for yearrrrrs) you feel good, you got a smile on your face... rain on me and your feelings are gonna get hurt bad( no f'n kidding) I was taught.. say something nice or say nothing at all. It didn't take but 2 times at an early age for me to realize that.... so its always gonna be something nice before nothing at all... peace
 LoveTheThunder
Msg: 271
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/6/2011 6:41:28 PM

I had not noticed that trend. Then again, I'm usually walking around with my butt crack visible.

Butts cracks have never gone out of style . . .
 mateo45
Msg: 272
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2011 9:07:03 AM
They'll have to pry my white belt, plaid polyester slacks, and matching white loafers from offa my cold, dead, um, feet!! ;-p
 Natgoat
Msg: 273
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/10/2011 4:50:32 PM
I still fit into 32" jeans...wear a Medium shirt
(Because loose/baggy shirts make me look Fat)
and biker boots or comfortable dancing shoes...
A while ago, I asked for a Profile Review, and got three responses...
(None of the 3 were older than 32)
One guy said my 12" cut-offs looked 'Gay'....
A female called them 'feminine' and another guy said 'Lose the outfit, altogether'...!!
At 56, and with still athletic legs and a cute, tight tush...I'd prefer to show them off...
rather than look like some Baggy-Dorky dufus that needs to have
"T*G*I*F" printed on the under-side of his ballcap..!!!
*- This Goes In Front - *
 ynotbeonrey
Msg: 274
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/10/2011 7:50:39 PM
Hmmmm,
Sounds a little shallow, but I do understand. I surely wouldn’t date a woman who did not know how to dress for the occasions.
Isn’t it about what makes a person feel good regardless of what others think?
I’m too old to be told how to dress. I’m not here to meet anyone expectations. It’s about me and what I like and feel comfortable in. some days Tie-dye, shorts and sandals are the attire. Not everyone can afford Brooks Brothers.
Is it a matter of name brand clothing, or is it a matter of someone who can make the clothes from Wal Mart look good on him???? Or is it the person on the inside who you really want to know?
If you’re going to judge a man by the clothes he wears. Perhaps your motivation is more on his wallet then his heart. Just saying
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 275
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/10/2011 8:59:40 PM
Someone who can make the clothes from Wal Mart look good on him! That way we can go shopping together.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > 45+ men and fashion