Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > 45+ men and fashion      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thereandbackfla
Msg: 151
45+ men and fashionPage 7 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I guess they could go the other way...........pants below their underwear ,,,so low they couldn't run....
 FabulousLaydee
Msg: 152
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/3/2010 7:11:41 PM
I dated a guy who used to wear jeans tight around the ankles and plaid shirts. He also would wear this black pleather jacket. I would go shopping with him to try and encourage a better wardrobe selection. It was like pulling teeth to get him to change. He was a good lookin guy but stuck in a fashion funk. It was a little irritating because he used to wear the same sweater every time he came over. Eventually I just gave up.
 soflnighteagle
Msg: 153
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/4/2010 6:51:18 PM
I will admit that I do need a woman's help when it comes to fashion. For the moment I get my 21 year old daughter to help me pick out nice clothes, but the truth is I have no idea what looks good on me and what doesn't. I've tired looking on line, and in magazines, but the amount of information is limited. Walk into any department store and notice the difference in area allocated for men as opposed as what women have as far as selection. We have very limited color and very limited style. I do have a couple of gay male friends that have given me some advice on where to find nice stylish clothing, but there are very few places, and at most of these places each shirt cost over $200. My daughter can by a lot more nice clothes for herself with the same amount of money, so it cost us a lot more to buy nice clothes too. So there you go, each piece of clothing cost us a lot more than what clothes do for women, and we have no idea what looks good.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 154
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/4/2010 9:42:01 PM
bowling shirt, khaki shorts, karachi sandals, wallet and out the door.

The Charlie Harper wardrobe ;)
 readthedamnprofile
Msg: 155
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/12/2010 9:18:20 AM
I had this problem with my husband, except in reverse. He has kept every article of clothing he has had since high school. Bully for him that he can still fit into most of it but, that does not make it appropriate for a forty year old man to wear. I have slowly but surely been throwing things out and adding new things in while letting him cling to a few old favorites that are relegated to being worn at home only.

Women, if you know of a guy that is dressing twenty years too old or twenty years too young please do an intervention. My husband had no clue that wearing a Metallica t-shirt with a pair of jeans that were so faded as to look white in some light and so tight I am surprised circulation to his scrotum was not cut off, was making him look ridiculous. Sometimes, they just do not know any better than to put this stuff on their backs. Those of us that love them, owe them some honesty in saying, "you look stupid in that".
 m_church
Msg: 156
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/12/2010 4:03:27 PM
I'm smart enough to take a woman with me every once in a while when shopping...
I think I have a pretty good sense of what's stylish and ok, but I'm willing to seek a second opinion.... besides, if she thinks I look good to her, well, no point in arguing...
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 157
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/12/2010 4:17:12 PM
For the most part I live in my skinny jeans and that is it.. However do have some dresses for those special moments.. Have skinny jeans in every color of the rainbow..

Love them and lots of men wear them too..

thecatsmeoww
 BentonHarbor
Msg: 158
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/12/2010 5:01:43 PM

Women, if you know of a guy that is dressing twenty years too old or twenty years too young please do an intervention. My husband had no clue that wearing a Metallica t-shirt with a pair of jeans that were so faded as to look white in some light and so tight I am surprised circulation to his scrotum was not cut off, was making him look ridiculous. Sometimes, they just do not know any better than to put this stuff on their backs. Those of us that love them, owe them some honesty in saying, "you look stupid in that".

Yes by all means do what you think is best, don't involve him in your choices and if he complains explain once again how you know what's best for him!

But I'm guessing since it'll be fair to tell him how stupid he looks turn about is also fair? "Yes, Honey in fact you DO look fat/trampy/inappriate in that.......!!"
 arwen52
Msg: 159
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/23/2010 3:45:07 PM
I used to wonder why all my gay male friends looked so attractive and all may straight male friends looked so crummy. I thought somehow that the gene for being gay and the gene for being good looking must be the same gene. I finally realized that the gay guys were not inherently better looking, but they took a little care with their appearance. They got a nice haircut and chose clothing that looked good on them.

I was an ultra plain jane when I was younger, finally got some help with my hair and clothing when I was about 40 years old. You don't have to be a fashion plate or spend a lot of money, you just have to take a little care. I look a lot nicer than I did in the past and I feel better about myself when I leave the house, knowing I look nice.

My ex dresses really neatly. He lives in jeans but he gets dark ones that fit nicely and they look a little classier than regular jeans. An ex girlfriend taught him how to choose shirts that look flattering on him. He gets a nice haircut. He could just as easily look like a slob. Instead, he always looks neat and attractive without making a big deal of it.

Guys, do yourselves and and the women around you a favor. Most of you can look a lot better than you do. Get some help. You have to put clothes on. You might as well choose clothes that look good on you. Give us something interesting to look at. Being a slob or not caring about your appearance does not make you more of a man. Find a female friend who can shop with you or a guy who knows how to choose clothes that are comfortable and yet appealing.

Really, I am so tired of the guys my age looking dumpy.
 damassteel
Msg: 160
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/27/2010 5:00:01 PM
This whole thread just blows by me. I can remember when a man knowing how to build a wardrobe and dress sharp was a true "Man Skill". Nothing "gay" about it. Somebody please explain to me when it all went wrong????? To me, guys who need women to dress them are the "not up on man skills"ones. just WHEN did it become Gay to know how to dress properly??? I think I've lived in ignorant bliss where this issue is concerned. I see young men and how they dress and just shake my head; they dress like 8 year olds!!! Growing up I was an aspiring jazz musician and looked to guys like Miles Davis to be the fashionista I emulated, always hip, always cool, always well pressed and dressed! I guess young guys just don't have these kinds of role models anymore.
 ~Azul Ojos~
Msg: 161
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/27/2010 6:46:05 PM
European men know how to dress well regardless of age... Very few American men dress well. I do think they have this fear that they may be seen as feminine if they dress trendy or even smartly (similiar to what damassteel above said).

My ex husband couldn't even choose his own socks, and called me after our divorce to ask where did I get them from... Clueless really.

I did have a ltr (from the US) who was actually a classy casual dresser, and always really looked good. He has been a tough act to follow... I try not to compare when guys show up for dates looking like their jeans don't fit and are sagging further down than they should....yuck...

If you don't iron, for goodness sake just take them to the dry cleaners at least for a date... Make an effort. Most women do!
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 162
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/27/2010 10:56:57 PM

If you don't iron, for goodness sake just take them to the dry cleaners at least for a date... Make an effort. Most women do!

who are you speaking to? the men who showed up for dates dressed the way they liked, rather than the way you liked? rather pointless to chide them in this forum, since it's doubtful any of them are reading. and if your lecture if for men you HAVEN'T dated, your first flaw is to make an assumption about them, since you have no idea how neatly or not they dress, and your second flaw is to address your message to no one you know it applies to.

all in all, a post that matches the merit of the op perfectly. my compliments.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 163
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/28/2010 2:54:30 AM
Once, just once in my life I loved and lived with a man who *knew* when he looked nice. Knew *how* to look nice. And paid to look nice. It was a trip. And he was an actor, who was very well aware of what costumes do, or can do. . . . His closet was twice the size of mine, and there's no way the man was gay. Promise, lol!

~Azul Ojos~
Msg: 164
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/28/2010 2:48:10 PM
WOW!!!

who are you speaking to? the men who showed up for dates dressed the way they liked, rather than the way you liked? rather pointless to chide them in this forum, since it's doubtful any of them are reading. and if your lecture if for men you HAVEN'T dated, your first flaw is to make an assumption about them, since you have no idea how neatly or not they dress, and your second flaw is to address your message to no one you know it applies to.

all in all, a post that matches the merit of the op perfectly. my compliments.

WOW! WOW!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am flawed (twice) .......because I gave my opinion... Because Christ says so...

Some people on these forum never fail to surprise and shock me...

Maybe I hit a nerve or something, as I have never dated anyone on the forums (and never would),so it certainly wasn't intended to be personal...

WOW!

_TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 165
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/28/2010 2:56:31 PM
Very few American men dress well. I do think they have this fear that they may be seen as feminine if they dress trendy

Actually many men I know dress for how comfortable the clothes feel, not how trendy we are or seemingly needing to try to impress others..

After the 6-mile hike in yesterdays evening heat my friends and I were more interested in watching Jupiter rise rather than criticizing one anothers clothing...
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 166
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/28/2010 4:20:44 PM
so you addressed this to the male readers of this forum:

and yet ...

I have never dated anyone on the forums

you are urging a group of men to dress better on dates, when you've never seen how any of them actually dress on dates. the value of an opinion corresponds to the knowledge behind it, and you have none of the knowledge your opinion implies, so it has no value.
 Lil Brooker
Msg: 167
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/28/2010 7:58:43 PM

I'm not sure where to post this, but you over-45 men need to hear this.

Never mind men over 45, *all* men should know that " the cut of the cloth" enhances their over-all appeal.

The same goes for women. There's a sense of public pride when the woman on your arm looks presentable, no matter the age.
 whytwater
Msg: 168
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/29/2010 7:02:16 AM

Never mind men over 45, *all* men should know that " the cut of the cloth" enhances their over-all appeal

Clarence Darrow, pressed by interviewers to explain his shabby appearance when compared to William Jennings Bryant, replied, "My suits are as good as his; he just doesn't sleep in his."
As every restaurant, and the Godiva Chocolate folks, know, presentation is "everything". If you want to catch the eye of those you encounter, for whatever reason, "spruce it up" seems to be the way to go. Requires some vanity, to do it every day, but that's okay. Jesus, by all reports, was no clothes-horse, but he was different!
I more often opt for "different", most for truth-in-advertising reasons, , but anybody who denies his/her vanity is probably lying, and in that respect, we're pretty much all the same.
Dress for success, as the saying goes.
I still prefer different.
 Sabrosura089
Msg: 169
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/29/2010 8:33:49 AM

I'm not sure where to post this, but you over-45 men need to hear this.

My daughter and I were recently at the mall and I noticed several fairly attractive men around my age. Problem is they all had their pants pulled up under their armpits -- usually wearing a belt with a shirt tucked in -- kinda like Ed Grimley on Saturday Night Live! Now, while I'm no fashion model, I try to keep my wardrobe current -- without trying to look like a teenager.

I realize most older men just aren't that interested in fashion or what's current, but I'd almost guarantee you'd have better results in the dating world if you updated your wardrobes occasionally. If you have daughters, I'm sure they'd be glad to take you shopping and they definitely wouldn't let you walk out looking like total dorks.

^^Oh my - what a visual! Pants up to their armpits!!! Like Urkel on Family Matters!

I've been fortunate with this. I love fashion, and it always nice to walk arm and arm with a man that complements you.
 TheToefactor
Msg: 170
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/29/2010 1:14:49 PM

My daughter and I were recently at the mall and I noticed several fairly attractive men around my age. Problem is they all had their pants pulled up under their armpits -- usually wearing a belt with a shirt tucked in -- kinda like Ed Grimley on Saturday Night Live! Now, while I'm no fashion model, I try to keep my wardrobe current -- without trying to look like a teenager.

oh but ARMY shirts are in?

what ever
 sexyisback!
Msg: 171
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/29/2010 4:18:42 PM

oh but ARMY shirts are in?

what ever.

yeah..especially for people who aren't even IN the army???
 BentonHarbor
Msg: 172
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/30/2010 3:34:34 AM

so you addressed this to the male readers of this forum:

and yet ...

I have never dated anyone on the forums

you are urging a group of men to dress better on dates, when you've never seen how any of them actually dress on dates. the value of an opinion corresponds to the knowledge behind it, and you have none of the knowledge your opinion implies, so it has no value.

The irony of these forums in general at least as I've observed with the women here is those complaining, pointing out, observing and/or commenting how men could/should do "better" in dating are themselves alone, without someone or otherwise unwilling/unable to keep anyone interested over time. Certainly we all have our preferences how our dates should appear to us but like so many other things superficial concentrating on a single aspect probably bypasses an otherwise great person.

The 40+ pound chicks all claim they're still great people but yet they're pretty quick to point out the flaws or misdeeds they see all around them. I can only speculate those less concerned with a sartorial masterpiece are out having fun dates with real people---others tend to populate online forums giving vent to their frustrations!
 satx78218
Msg: 173
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/30/2010 7:14:58 AM
yep, 45+ years women, many of whom are overweight or obese, whining about how MEN look? :lol

no matter how many $1000s spent on clothes, makeup, hair, plastic surgery, girdles, there's no hiding all that junk in the trunk, the spare tires, the multiple chins, the missing neck.

There's seems to be a female delusion that men choose to look bad, while women have no choice about their weight.
 venndiagram
Msg: 174
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/30/2010 4:24:27 PM
I dunno, I see a lot of beer bellies too!

Whats with all the gender bashing here?
 ~Azul Ojos~
Msg: 175
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/30/2010 5:30:14 PM
Whats with all the gender bashing here?

Just the usual... gender bashing by the forum bullies because some of us women are overweight apparently and have NOTHING of VALUE to say...

Basically, the same old routine on the forums...

Edit: Below...

I thought the topic was about men's clothes, not about weight...

Excuse me while I go and iron my size 2 jeans.... I want to appear on my date really shallow & superficial...

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > 45+ men and fashion