Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > 45+ men and fashion      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 satx78218
Msg: 176
view profile
History
45+ men and fashionPage 8 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
women complaining about men's clothes is OK, it's not bashing

men complaining about (almost all 45+) women's excess weight is not OK. It's bashing.
 clockwork lime
Msg: 177
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/30/2010 5:58:54 PM

women complaining about men's clothes is OK, it's not bashing

men complaining about (almost all 45+) women's excess weight is not OK. It's bashing.

There are just certain posters on this particular forum that will leapfrog over a dozen posts that are insulting to men without passing comment, to land like a squawking harpie on the one that they feel is insulting to them.
I'm not sure of their motives, but I think that the grudges that some of them hold against men in general cause them to have a selective understanding of what they read.
It's entertainment.
 venndiagram
Msg: 178
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/30/2010 6:17:25 PM
Well when i said gender bashing, I meant of both sexes.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 179
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/30/2010 6:27:24 PM

no matter how many $1000s spent on clothes, makeup, hair, plastic surgery, girdles, there's no hiding all that junk in the trunk, the spare tires, the multiple chins, the missing neck.

If one is spending $1000's of dollars on plastic surgery, I think they may be taking care of that "junk in the trunk"...just sayin.

Girdles? Do woman still wear them?

...mae
 ishi
Msg: 180
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 9/30/2010 7:22:05 PM
I think it all depends on where you live. I remember watching movies from the 40's, 50's
Dana Andrews would wear his pants up high, then noticing the women's hair stiff as a board, thick eyelashes. I think some men are just use to wearing their trousers like that.
 whytwater
Msg: 181
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 10/1/2010 8:05:24 AM

If one is spending $1000's of dollars on plastic surgery, I think they may be taking care of that "junk in the trunk"...just sayin.

I think most choose to hide it, rather than fix it, or (yikes!) cut it off. Lol Not long ago, I noticed an ad for a man girdle, to compact the waist (not sure whether everybody got that message, or I was somehow singled out, lol). Maybe women have gotten past the girdle thing, but those manufacturers are stubborn, and apparently deadset on finding new markets.

I think some men are just use to wearing their trousers like that.

I don't think so- that hurts! Lol Besides, think of the almost constant, almost inevitable wedgies. Lol It's usually better to alleviate the pressure on the 'nads, for all kinds of reasons. Like Elaine (Dreyfus) once said, "I don't know how you guys walk around with those things."
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 182
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 10/1/2010 9:18:36 AM

gender bashing by the forum bullies because some of us women are overweight apparently and have NOTHING of VALUE to say

to disagree with a woman or point out the flaws in her reasoning is not gender bashing. gender bashing would be to say ALL women have nothing of value to say, and no one has said that.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 183
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 10/1/2010 9:26:20 AM

45+ men and fashion

The man in my life is not 45+, he's 44. And he's quite concerned with fashion, health and fitness. Just because one is a certain age doesn't mean they lose interest in these things, maybe it means they were never interested to begin with. For some of us, me included, I need a man who is conscious of his appearance. And this particular man in my life wants me to be conscious of my appearance. Thankfully. Fashion is different for ALL people, but if you are concerned with it, it's important to meet/date or whatever, someone who shares the same ideologies. At least for me. JMO
 Sabrosura089
Msg: 184
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 10/1/2010 11:19:35 AM

I think now it's SPANX!!! ..............................................
 arwen52
Msg: 185
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 10/1/2010 11:36:38 PM

European men know how to dress well regardless of age... Very few American men dress well. I do think they have this fear that they may be seen as feminine if they dress trendy or even smartly (similiar to what damassteel above said).

My experience, too. In Italy, even the punky young guys have a decent sense of style. A lot of the countries I've travelled in, the men take a lot more pride in their appearance than they generally do here. Latin men - often very sharp dressers. I know those are broad generalizations but I'll stand by them as generalizations.

I'm around a lot of college aged dancers and most of the guys dress really neatly. They are fun to look at. I don't know how the rest of the college kids are dressing but the dancers are pretty sharp.
 4ums
Msg: 186
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 10/2/2010 2:10:17 PM
Oh I agree that some people, not just men, really don't care how they dress. If they can't wear jeans to whatever, they won't go. Personally don't think jeans are all that comfy and don't think men look all that hot in them either. Dress pants are normally thinner material and if the man doesn't have a jacket on, oh yeah, the assets can be most admirable
 sexyisback!
Msg: 187
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 10/2/2010 2:16:14 PM
so the message I get here is that many women think it's way more important for a man to 'take pride in his appearance' and 'dress well'' than to treat women well.. hasn't been much mention of the relative merits of "European" or "Other" men on that aspect vs. bad old generally (consensus says) fugly-appearing N. American men.

In my understanding in many places in Europe (because every European is of course far more sophisticated than any American) it is quite acceptable for men to have multiple mistresses, while married, and/or many affairs.

N. American women who bemoan the looks of their men, if "we'" agreed to dress/look better ( i.e., more"European") does that mean you would in turn accept us having mistresses & affairs?

Deal?

fair's fair, right??
 4ums
Msg: 188
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 10/2/2010 3:20:58 PM
Personally, I think how someone dresses reflects who they are. If you appear as a slob... If I see a huge belly, I see a man that doesn't give a crap about his health and if he doesn't care about himself. How would he care about someone else?

Pretty much only dated born and raised US American men. I wish some would get out of the blue jean dress code. I know they were worn back in the 1800's so, they are here to stay.
 arwen52
Msg: 189
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 10/17/2010 5:22:57 PM

so the message I get here is that many women think it's way more important for a man to 'take pride in his appearance' and 'dress well'' than to treat women well..

And where exactly did you see this stated?
 LostChord
Msg: 190
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 10/17/2010 5:56:26 PM
As a typical clueless American male, I asked a lady friend to help me shop. Not only did she enjoy helping me pick out clothes, but I really looked good. The ladies just simply have a better sense of style than I ever will.
 Southern_Gypsy1
Msg: 191
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 10/18/2010 7:35:40 PM
Im a 52 y/o female who does wear dressess as well and jeans at times.But mens shirts! no way!
 Southern_Gypsy1
Msg: 192
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 10/18/2010 7:45:03 PM
Im 5'11" and according to goverment weight charts Im overweight. Nonetheless I get my share of male attention. Personally, I havent found many of the complaints that I read here to be an issue for me. I dont really judge people by how they dress, what kind of car they live in or which neighborhood they live in. The biggest problem Ive had in meeting someone compatable is that it seems so many people over the age of 45 have become bitter and cynical and have major trust issues. Also, doesnt anyone actually like to get out and particiapate in live?
 mz taken
Msg: 193
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 10/18/2010 11:08:48 PM
^^^mm, but most likely they are running away to the nearest mall to copy the same look and dashing style that you dazzled them with as you strutted--not sashayed, but strutted your awesome bad self to the date!!!

um.
can I ask what you wore on top?
 whytwater
Msg: 194
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 10/19/2010 4:07:37 AM

I dont really judge people by how they dress, what kind of car they live in or which neighborhood they live in.

I do love my jeep, but I have too many clothes to fit in it, and my work clothes need hangers, so can't really live in it, lol; but if you judge me by my choice of ride, you wouldn't probably wouldn't be far off the mark.

The biggest problem Ive had in meeting someone compatable is that it seems so many people over the age of 45 have become bitter and cynical and have major trust issues. Also, doesnt anyone actually like to get out and particiapate

You're dead on target with that, imo. Mostly smilin', kinda naive, and game for most anything is my usual approach. Kinda like my car. Lol

I am a man over 45, and no pants pulled up under the armpits for me.
On a date, I usually wear a short denim skirt, tights, and heels . . . .

Humor appears too infrequently in these threads, but is probably the most effective rhetorical tool.
 naysaying_knicktwist
Msg: 195
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 10/19/2010 10:54:38 AM
'Fashion' is a low-on-the-totem-pole consideration for me. I'm definitely not trendy, and my sense of style could be described as 'casual.' I'm not too concerned with what my bf wears. I do appreciate clean and fresh-smelling. I'm less concerned with how my bf looks and more concerned with his comfort. If socks-with-sandals feels good to him? Fine with me. I tend to see such fashion 'faux pas' as adorably goofy, not as offensive to my sensibilities. Of course I have my preferences in clothing - for some reason I've never liked polo shirts - but the whole 'what to wear' thing is not a big deal to me.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 196
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 10/20/2010 2:53:53 PM

I think now it's SPANX!!

I cut the feet out of TIGHT hose..LOL

Op..Put him in a Bentley in torn up shorts and flip flops ..HOW you like him now?

4ums
Msg: 197
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 10/20/2010 6:41:02 PM
It doesn't matter what a man drives. If he doesn't care about his appearance, there is something missing. I can't imaging going out with someone that is that egotistical that thinks what he drives makes whatever he does ok.
 ProcolHarem
Msg: 198
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 10/21/2010 4:05:40 AM
Op..Put him in a Bentley in torn up shorts and flip flops ..HOW you like him now?

Yup...I've witnessed a guy in torn shorts hop out of Mazerati.
He got a lot of positive comments from the ladies I was with. Wasn't even that attractive, but...

It doesn't matter what a man drives. If he doesn't care about his appearance

Hmmm...If I drive up in my rusted 1994 Ford Taurus and I'm wearing a suit you wouldn't think twice huh?

whytwater
Msg: 199
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 10/21/2010 4:49:30 AM

Put him in a Bentley in torn up shorts and flip flops ..HOW you like him now?

.I've witnessed a guy in torn shorts hop out of Mazerati.
He got a lot of positive comments from the ladies I was with. Wasn't even that attractive, but...
If I drive up in my rusted 1994 Ford Taurus and I'm wearing a suit you wouldn't think twice huh?

Women, in general, just seem to accessorize well, and have a keen/trained eye for men who do likewise. Seems a pricey car, like a Coach bag, goes well with almost any ensemble. The car signals success; perhaps the shorts and ff's show his unpretentiousness, an alluring nonchalance about "filthy lucre"
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 200
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 10/21/2010 7:31:51 AM

It doesn't matter what a man drives.

That was called a JOKE..sarcastic..Guess you missed my other posts on the subject..awww never mind.

I like a man that dresses how he is comfortable so he will act himself when we first meet..I do not care because I usually discuss what I am wearing then he tells me..If there is a problem one of us will change.

I find most men appreciate that.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > 45+ men and fashion