Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Of Forumites and Profiles      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Welsh474
Msg: 26
Of Forumites and ProfilesPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Do happy and positive forumites have happy and positive profiles? Do unhappy and negative forumites have unhappy and negative profiles? Maybe some truth to that. Do some of us that have been posting awhile and read other forumites profiles put a little more effort into our own profiles? Maybe.

I hate reading a two line profile, it tells me nothing. Well, that's not true - it tells me that the person is not serious, can't open up at all and they are lazy. I don't like the no pic thing either, not too many of us would date someone that didn't have a pic. Unless you're a public figure, on the run from the police/your husband/your wife - why not post a picture. If you're going to post on the forums why not be up front and show your face - it seems like you're hiding something by not having a pic.
 SouthBayNative
Msg: 27
Of Forumites and Profiles
Posted: 11/30/2010 5:44:47 PM
You're welcome Earthpuppy. And remember, angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2010 8:47:28 PM
As a longtime "older" forum poster, sometimes I do scan the profiles, sometimes not. It depends on the topic and the other posts. I'd like to say I read them all, but it everyone did on every thread...ehh.

It does or can give some more perspective than just reading what they post. Sometimes it's a DUH...sometimes it's more subtle or something that few can pick up on. Not saying that my perceptions are always correct, there have been so many times I've said...ehh...I HATE being right.

Not that I am always at ALL, noone is, I just really don't like when I was when I was wishing I was wishing, hoping and praying, literally that I wasn't.
 2Irish1
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/1/2010 5:26:10 AM
Bucsgirl, you could have saved all that money on the POF gold membership and just had your g/f introduce us….and I promise to bring my wallet to our first date (that doesn’t mean there will be money or cards in it) as long as you don’t expect me to pay for our trip to Europe.

That was one funny profile…do you have to pay for two gold upgrades???
 TooShadows
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2010 7:59:33 AM
I will,often to see what country they are from,as things are different amont the 3 main countries we see posts from. Also,when a profile has more than one picture it can be a good idea to see if it's a man or woman making the post. Made a serious mistake once ASSuming it was man posting when it was the woman. I don't make it a habit of calling to attention something that is in their profile,as I think we should stick to the post.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2010 8:10:42 AM

I don't make it a habit of calling to attention something that is in their profile,as I think we should stick to the post.

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. All too often, what I do find is when people need to resort to calling attention to a poster's profile what it signifies is that they are unable to contribute to a thread only as it pertains to the topic or a specific post and must "dig deeper" for fodder. If you can't post on the topic at hand without resorting to attempting to dig up dirt in order to personally insult or discredit a particular poster, it then leaves the realm of discussion and debate and moves into personal attacks. When that is the case, perhaps you have nothing constructive to add to the discussion thereby negating the need to post at all.
 clockwork lime
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/1/2010 9:36:27 AM

Women don't bother because men only look at pics.

Southbaynative, you have lost your forum priveledge sof admonishing men for lumping ALL women into one category.

On point, there are some pretty funny profiles from both male and female forumites, and generally the wittier the comments I read from them, the wittier their profiles tend to be.
On the other hand, there sure are a lot of negative nellies on these boards too.
 flyguy51
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2010 12:10:53 PM
There are however, some that seem like Jeckel/Hyde types that also are more than willing to show their true nature on forums.

Funny you should put it that way, EP, as I have been thinking the same thing. Awhile back, I was just thinking how some posters can be very agreeable and reasonable in one post and then turn snarky and petty in some other post, sometimes for no apparent reason.

I remember one guy on here who I seriously thought had an anger management problem coming through in his posts. Curious, I checked out his profile only to find that he emphasized how he enjoyed being friendly to people. Then there are those guys with enchanting, romantic type profiles who show themselves as thinly veiled racists and mysoginists on the forums. Real pieces of work there.

Edit: FYI, it is a serious no-no to bring up a person's profile in a forum thread so as to belittle them or call them out somehow.
 Billy_Famine
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/1/2010 1:23:58 PM

Southbaynative, you have lost your forum priveledge sof admonishing men for lumping ALL women into one category.

But if a couple guys did it to her, then ALL guys must do it to ALL Girls. Isn't that evidence?
 karma1160
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/1/2010 2:44:23 PM
Yes I do read the profiles of people who post, it helps me kind of figure out where they are comming from.
I have to say it has been a pleasure.
 softy63
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/1/2010 3:11:35 PM

Yes I do read the profiles of people who post, it helps me kind of figure out where they are comming from.
I have to say it has been a pleasure.

I do too and as a consequense I've made many overseas friends on here. Some I even write to and we send small gifts for Xmas etc.

Thats the reason why I don't restrict my mail settings to my own country.
 MsMicki
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2010 4:08:05 PM

FYI, it is a serious no-no to bring up a person's profile in a forum thread so as to belittle them or call them out somehow.

Sorry, but if a person's profile completely contradicts their post....I'm going to point it out!
And if a man is on here talking about his sex life with his new hot thang.....and I see
he's married......I'm going to call him out on it!

Public forum........public profiles!!
You want to air it.....I'm going to comment on it!
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2010 4:20:08 PM

Sorry, but if a person's profile completely contradicts their post....I'm going to point it out!
And if a man is on here talking about his sex life with his new hot thang.....and I see
he's married......I'm going to call him out on it!

Same here. I don't go looking for things to belittle the poster but if something is there to make the thread pointless I will bring it to attention. I don't see it as a big no-no at all.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2010 4:53:01 PM
Sorry, but if a person's profile completely contradicts their post....I'm going to point it out! And if a man is on here talking about his sex life with his new hot thang.....and I see
he's married......I'm going to call him out on it! Public forum........public profiles!!
You want to air it.....I'm going to comment on it!

Tread very carefully here. It better at least be to the OP and DIRECTLY relates to what the OP's original post was about. If they post and say they have been married for 10 years and having problems now with their wife and their profile says they are single.... fair game as far as I am concerned. That is a direct lie. They claimed to be married and their profile said single and they included it in their OP.

If they post saying they are having trouble keeping guys interested after a few months. And you post "Well what do expect as a BBW" Totaly different! Had nothing to do with the OP's post really as far as we know.

So be very very careful making comments about someones profile unless it for sure relates directly to their post! Dangerous waters to swim in.

Cowboy
 2Irish1
Msg: 40
Posted: 12/1/2010 5:18:37 PM
Chuckle^^^OT

I've already commented on the Buc's profile in this thread...as it pertains to the OPost...and it was a hilarious profile…pretty creative…

But, yanno…It generally happens by other crafty formulites…they go and read the OP’s profile…see that their status is single/divorced/widowed with a goal of dating or LTR… and are asking a specific questions about some current LTR…or other profile inconsistencies that conflict with the OPost….I just read a thread where the OP states their age…the profile has another age…and some other thread the OP has said they were a different age…seemingly a small thing…but, it’s discrepancies like that that challenge the voracity of the OPost ….after being called out by some formulites about the lie…the OP resorts to name calling and bashing…sigh…I guess I’m not the only one…;o)))

At least the formulite profiles (womens) rarely talk about…playa’s, cheaters, married, no job, momma’s boys…who send private pics of willy in the first note
 Welsh474
Msg: 41
Posted: 12/1/2010 7:06:56 PM
I find that in the forumus it depends on the poster. One in particular comes to mind when someone took from someone's profile that another poster liked doing his little girls manicures and he was called a pervert. The poster replied in a snarky way, as I would have. But that person snarking back was given a 3 day time out and the person that called him a pervert received nothing. To me it goes both ways.

As for checking out profiles, I find that I look at the profiles of forumites that tend to post negative or just plain nasty remarks. It's more of a "I can't believe this stupid person" so I want to see what they are about. Most of the nasty posters have crappy profiles - they seem to be here just to stir things up.
 serenityCW
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2010 7:09:59 PM
i am slowly devolving my profile, as it originally had two intentions, the foremost including attracting a mate. having met a man, who mostly liked my revealing blouse at the time, i realize that chemistry is a good way to attract "initially" and one walks a fine line in doing so, given all the nuts on the internet. my new guy has had to deal with the rest of me over time. so far, we are both in the running. the trick is to accept one's minuses, as well as his/her pluses!

i am also not as dedicated to the forums as before. most of my pof buddies are now in contact by phone. however, in general, i tend to read profiles of people whose thoughts challenge or attract me, as well as those with a good sense of humor. i tend to not post too humorously, which is not at all reflective of the real me. in person, i am always joking around and can have quite the toilet mouth, coming from nyc!

so, when i get a chance, i will come up with a profile that is mostly a backup for my posting. yes, mine was long. with lymes it is hard to edit at times. most people forgive me for that :)
plus, the pics are now off. don't want to drop dead one day with my pic forever on the forums! my friends can vouche for my looks and if i were to bond platonically with any new person, i could always exchange pics later.
 RushLuv
Msg: 43
Posted: 12/1/2010 7:12:16 PM
If they post saying they are having trouble keeping guys interested after a few months. And you post "Well what do expect as a BBW" Totaly different! Had nothing to do with the OP's post really as far as we know.

What if that is the problem?

Agreed. If an OP is having trouble keeping men/women interested, and that person comes to the forums to ask that question, I don't think bringing up that individuals weight is off topic nor off limits at all.

However, I noticed some people flat out make comments about the OP profile that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual topic.

Say if someone here created a thread complaining about getting dumped, some smart-ass will come right behind the OP and start picking apart the persons profile or making some lousy comment about it that has nothing to do with the subject.
 Super_Eve
Msg: 44
pofusers.com
Posted: 12/1/2010 8:05:34 PM
I like it when people look at my profile...

It saves so much time.
 poltroon
Msg: 45
Posted: 12/4/2010 1:04:37 AM
Agree with majority here that I view profiles of intertesting/entertaining posts.
Only problem is that many are not able to be viewed which I presume is due to contact limitations set by the profile's owner-most posters are in the USA,I am in Australia.
 Cuppey
Msg: 46
Posted: 12/4/2010 5:40:56 AM
Sure we all look! And for all the reasons already mentioned. Mine is very lame and bland (one of these days I'll get around to changing it), crazy thing is I still get emails and these "Meet Me" messages, and have actually met some people in person. Go figure!
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2010 6:16:56 AM

Only problem is that many are not able to be viewed which I presume is due to contact limitations set by the profile's owner-most posters are in the USA,I am in Australia.

Wrong. You can view any exisiting profile anywhere in the world if it exists and also is not dependent on contact limitations, while in the forums. Does not matter if the profile is hidden or not. The contact limitations only apply to CONTACT not viewing a profile. Make sure you are logged into the DATING side of the site.

Some have not been able to view any profiles for the last several days. Site glitch and we are awaiting a fix (12-4-2010). That is a different issue.

Cowboy
 bucsgirl
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2010 8:35:00 PM
I have posted to the forums and been much more active. Not that it means anything, but cowboy is right and it's wise to pay attention to his post. Not just because he is a mod, I knew him before, he is a savvy poster.

I do know that many DO take a look at a person's profile, and while it may give a perspective IE more understanding in trying to give a better response, it IS against the forum posting rules, not HIS and not mine, to make reference to something mentioned in a person's profile. The point is any post is supposed to be in reference to the topic. Unless it's the profile review forum, and profile comments, directly, are not allowed.
 Worbug
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2010 9:12:32 AM
I usualy view profiles of the other posters, especially the OP. Sometimes when I am bored, I will end up leap frogging from profiles to other profiles on top, the next thing you know, I have to find the thread I was on.(LOL)

As the others have said, you can sometimes get a litle insight on someone, or at least there mind set. Also the Geographic, certain views taken can definitely be geographical.

Have met some friends here, give each other heads up on interesting threads, etc.

I also agree, would be nice if a lot of them lived closer, most seem like fun people to hang with, both male and female.

And yes, it is nice to see that some of the regular posters do visit your profile, at least they took the time to get some back ground on me, either from hating me or liking me. And yes, I do know there are both. LOL

I invite all fellow posters to feel free to email, if need be concering any post, I always welcome healthy debate. And sometimes we cannot say what we might want to in the forums, LOL
 JustAGrlWthACat
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/5/2010 3:49:16 PM
I do sometimes when they say something really funny. If it's a female i usually chose the option to hide my viewing to others just so they don't see it and get annoyed at me.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Of Forumites and Profiles