Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The Empire is Wearing No Clothes...Wikileaks.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Outdoor2
Msg: 26
view profile
History
The Empire is Wearing No Clothes...Wikileaks.Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
CheshireCatalyst

Earlier this morning CTV had a list of the sites in Canada...all of them common knowledge. It seems that piece has disappeared from their web site. Places like Chalk River, Hibernia in NFLD, an assortment of oil/gas pipelines, defense contractors, dams, etc....all common knowledge to most Canadians, and indeed the rest of the world...all it would take is a few clicks it source the information. It's not like they were "top secret" sites that nobody new about.

Besides...the cable (in it's entirety) was sent to 2.5 million people. Not very secret if you ask me.
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 27
view profile
History
The Empire is Wearing No Clothes...Wikileaks.
Posted: 12/6/2010 10:10:42 PM
^^ I don't think the issue is that those sites are common knowledge.

I suspect that in the WikiLeaks example, the fact that they were identified as being critical to the US was the main grievance (and all available in one handy-dandy location - no research required).

I found these Canadian ones on another website (and they are also on WikiLeaks/now on PoF too). They are probably the same as the ones you saw earlier. Some of them are no-brainers, but others aren't:

Canada: Hibernia Atlantic undersea cable landing Halifax , Nova Scotia

Canada James Bay Power Project, Quebec: monumental hydroelectric power development

Mica Dam, British Columbia: Failure would impact the Columbia River Basin

Hydro Quebec, Quebec: Critical irreplaceable source of power to portions of Northeast U. S.

Robert Moses/Robert H. Saunders Power, Ontario: Part of the St. Lawrence Power Project, between Barnhart Island, New York, and Cornwall, Ontario

Seven Mile Dam, British Columbia: Concrete gravity dam between two other hydropower dams along the Pend d’Oreille River

Pickering Nuclear Power Plant, Ontario

Canada Chalk River Nuclear Facility, Ontario: Largest supplier of medical radioisotopes in the world

Hydrofluoric Acid Production Facility, Allied Signal, Amherstburg, Ontario

Enbridge Pipeline Alliance Pipeline: Natural gas transmission from Canada Maritime and Northeast Pipeline

Natural gas transmission from Canada Transcanada Gas

Natural gas transmission from Canada Alexandria Bay

POE, Ontario: Northern border crossing Ambassador Bridge POE, Ontario:

Northern border crossing Blaine POE, British Columbia: Northern border crossing Blaine Washington Rail Crossing, British Columbia

Blue Water Bridge POE, Ontario:

Northern border crossing Champlain POE, Quebec:

Northern border crossing CPR Tunnel Rail Crossing, Ontario (Michigan Central Rail Crossing) International Bridge Rail Crossing, Ontario International Railway Bridge Rail Crossing Lewiston-Queenstown POE, Ontario: Northern border crossing Peace Bridge POE, Ontario:

Northern border crossing Pembina POE, Manitoba:

Northern border crossing North Portal Rail Crossing, Saskatchewan

St. Claire Tunnel Rail Crossing, Ontario

Waneta Dam, British Columbia: Earthfill/concrete hydropower dam

Darlington Nuclear Power Plant, Ontario, Canada.

E-ONE Moli Energy, Maple Ridge, Canada: Critical to production of various military application electronics

General Dynamics Land Systems – Canada, London Ontario, Canada: Critical to the production of the Stryker/USMC LAV Vehicle Integration Raytheon Systems Canada Ltd.

ELCAN Optical Technologies Division, Midland, Ontario, Canada: Critical to the production of the AGM-130 Missile

Thales Optronique Canada, Inc., Montreal, Quebec: Critical optical systems for ground combat vehicles

Germanium Mine Graphite Mine Iron Ore Mine Nickel Mine Niobec Mine, Quebec, Canada:

Niobium Cangene, Winnipeg, Manitoba:

Plasma Sanofi Pasteur Ltd., Toronto, Canada: Polio virus vaccine

GlaxoSmithKile Biologicals, North America, Quebec, Canada: Pre-pandemic influenza vaccines
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2010 4:57:15 AM
Assange arrested (assanginated?) in London:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11937110

WikiLeaks still operational. Countdown to WikiLeaks movie........

The founder of the whistle-blowing website Wikileaks, Julian Assange, has been arrested by police in London.

The 39-year-old Australian, who was the subject of a European arrest warrant, denies allegations he sexually assaulted two women in Sweden.

Mr Assange is due to appear at City of Westminster Magistrates' Court later.

A Wikileaks spokesman said Mr Assange's arrest was an attack on media freedom but it would not stop the release of more secret files.

Kristinn Hrafnsson told Reuters on Tuesday: "Wikileaks is operational. We are continuing on the same track as laid out before.

"Any development with regards to Julian Assange will not change the plans we have with regards to the releases today and in the coming days."
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/7/2010 8:15:31 AM
The 39-year-old Australian, who was the subject of a European arrest warrant, denies allegations he sexually assaulted two women in Sweden.

Let the smearing begin.

FYI: with respect to this case, Sexual Assault in Sweden = Not wearing a condom while have consensual sex.

Read more here:

The Wikileaks sex files: How two one-night stands sparked a worldwide hunt for Julian Assange

By Richard Pendlebury
Last updated at 10:44 AM on 7th December 2010

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1336291/Wikileaks-Julian-Assanges-2-night-stands-spark-worldwide-hunt.html#ixzz17RWuyxpw
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2010 10:57:13 AM
Assange editorial...

http://www.ndtv.com/article/wikileaks%20revelations/editorial-written-by-julian-assange-in-i-the-australian-i-71185
"Sydney: In 1958 a young Rupert Murdoch, then owner and editor of Adelaide's The News, wrote: "In the race between secrecy and truth, it seems inevitable that truth will always win."

His observation perhaps reflected his father Keith Murdoch's expose that Australian troops were being needlessly sacrificed by incompetent British commanders on the shores of Gallipoli. The British tried to shut him up but Keith Murdoch would not be silenced and his efforts led to the termination of the disastrous Gallipoli campaign.

Nearly a century later, WikiLeaks is also fearlessly publishing facts that need to be made public.

I grew up in a Queensland country town where people spoke their minds bluntly. They distrusted big government as something that could be corrupted if not watched carefully. The dark days of corruption in the Queensland government before the Fitzgerald inquiry are testimony to what happens when the politicians gag the media from reporting the truth.

These things have stayed with me. WikiLeaks was created around these core values. The idea, conceived in Australia, was to use internet technologies in new ways to report the truth.

WikiLeaks coined a new type of journalism: scientific journalism. We work with other media outlets to bring people the news, but also to prove it is true. Scientific journalism allows you to read a news story, then to click online to see the original document it is based on. That way you can judge for yourself: Is the story true? Did the journalist report it accurately?

Democratic societies need a strong media and WikiLeaks is part of that media. The media helps keep government honest. WikiLeaks has revealed some hard truths about the Iraq and Afghan wars, and broken stories about corporate corruption.
continued.....

Read more at: http://www.ndtv.com/article/wikileaks%20revelations/editorial-written-by-julian-assange-in-i-the-australian-i-71185?cp
 slybandit
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2010 3:35:23 PM
Who is pretending the U.S. is a mere "humble" power just trying to do right in the world? No U.S. citizen with an ounce of sense takes such a pose seriously, and pretty much NO ONE outside the U.S. does.

But let's not paint the U.S. as the sole global nasty out there. On the laundry list of potential oppressors, the U.S. is not that bad. Just ask the Chechens. Or the Tibetans.
Or anyone that remembers the 1980's in Eastern Europe, or the 1940's almost everywhere, for that matter.

And in the recent news, Assange has been denied bail and retained in custody in the U.K. until a December 14th, 2010 extradition hearing:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101207/ap_on_hi_te/wikileaks

And Visa and Paypal have cut off Wikileaks from donations through them.

I wonder why.

Can anyone else hear the theme song to Casper the Friendly Ghost playing? I can...it's getting Spook-ier by the second.

Maybe it has something to do with the reasons why the same bot-net would target both the CIA, PayPal and various credit card companies?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/29/strange_ssl_web_attack/

The same bot-net that originated in (surprise!!!) Russia.
http://us.trendmicro.com/imperia/md/content/us/pdf/threats/securitylibrary/study_of_pushdo.pdf

Casper the friendly ghost, the friendly ghost...
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2010 5:22:11 PM
Wikileakage and Climate/corporate interests.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/dec/03/wikileaks-us-manipulated-climate-accord

The reach of empire is vast and expanding exponentially. Truth is the first and foremost victim of this empire. We run on fossil fuels and would be powerless without them.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/8/2010 12:56:24 AM
I thought this was interesting. It's from the BBC News website:

Wikileaks: Australia FM says US to blame, not Assange
Australia's foreign minister has said the US is to blame for the release of thousands of diplomatic cables on Wikileaks, not its Australian founder, Julian Assange.
Kevin Rudd said the release raised questions about US security.
Mr Rudd said he did not "give a damn" about criticism of him in the cables.
Mr Assange, arrested in the UK over sex crime allegations in Sweden, has accused the Australian government of "disgraceful pandering" to the US.
Prime Minister Julia Gillard had earlier called Mr Assange's release of the cables "grossly irresponsible".
Over the past two weeks, Wikileaks has released thousands of classified messages from US envoys around the world, from more than 250,000 it has been given.
Washington has called their publication "irresponsible" and an "attack on the international community".
In an interview with Reuters news agency, Mr Rudd said: "Mr Assange is not himself responsible for the unauthorised release of 250,000 documents from the US diplomatic communications network. The Americans are responsible for that."
The Australian government has found itself in the anomalous position of offering consular assistance to Julian Assange after his arrest in London, while at the same time being highly critical of his part in leaking sensitive US diplomatic cables.
Julian Assange has written an opinion piece for The Australian newspaper which is scathing in its criticism of the Gillard government, accusing her of "trying to shoot the messenger".
The case of Julian Assange is already drawing comparisons here with the detention of an Australian, David Hicks, at Guantanamo Bay. Hicks, who trained with al-Qaeda in Afghanistan, was found guilty of providing material support for terrorism by an American military tribunal. But he became something of a folk hero for many Australians, because of the widespread feeling that he was treated unfairly by the Americans after being detained at Guantanamo Bay without trial.
Mr Rudd, the former prime minister who was replaced by Julia Gillard in June, added: "I think there are real questions to be asked about the adequacy of [the US] security systems and the level of access that people have had to that material.
"The core responsibility, and therefore legal liability, goes to those individuals responsible for that initial unauthorised release."
Mr Rudd was dismissed in one leaked US cable as a "mistake-prone control freak".
In cables published by the Sydney Morning Herald former US ambassador Robert McCallum said Mr Rudd made "snap announcements without consulting other countries or within the Australian government".
The US was also angered at what it called Mr Rudd's "self-serving and inaccurate leaking" of a phone call with then US President George W Bush in which Mr Rudd was reported as saying: "Stunned to hear Bush say, 'What's the G20?'"
Mr Rudd shrugged off the criticism, saying: "I'm sure much worse has been written about me in the past and probably much worse will be written about me in the future but frankly, mate, I don't care.
"My job's just to act in Australia's national interest as Australia's foreign minister. I don't, frankly, give a damn about this sort of thing. You just get on with it."
Ms Gillard defended Mr Rudd, saying: "He's bringing [his] expertise to bear for the Australian nation and doing an absolutely first class job."
Mr Assange has been highly critical of the Australian government's stance on the release of the cables.
In an opinion piece in The Australian on Wednesday, Mr Assange accused the Australian government of "disgraceful pandering" to the Americans and of putting the powers of the government fully at the disposal of the US.
In the piece headlined "Don't shoot the messenger for revealing uncomfortable truths", he says: "Democratic societies need a strong media and Wikileaks is part of that media. The media helps keep government honest."
He adds: "The Australian attorney-general is doing everything he can to help a US investigation clearly directed at framing Australian citizens and shipping them to the US."
Mr Assange has been refused bail by a court in London but has vowed to fight extradition to Sweden.
He denies sexually assaulting two women in Sweden but was remanded in custody pending a hearing next week.
Mr Assange's lawyer, Mark Stephens, has claimed the charges are "politically motivated".
 daffie
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2010 2:18:10 AM
wikileaks is freedom of speech...

seems to me a lot of egos are crushed here.
if governments wanted all this info., to remain classified they should toughen up on their obviously slack security.
maybe diplomats won't be so careless with their chatter on future occasions of state,
as use more diplomacy?

i've heard much more damaging information to the american government on the "letterman" show,
especially when bush was still numero uno...

as for the seemingly slur on former australian pm kevin rudd?
many times today when asked his opinion of the latest disclosures he replied, adamantly, that it was all water off a duck's back!...

ho hum...
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2010 5:55:05 AM

if governments wanted all this info., to remain classified they should toughen up on their obviously slack security.

Perhaps the current laws, which criminalize the leaking of secrets but not the publishing of those leaks, is the right balance? Citizens of a functioning democracy must be able to know what the state is saying and doing in our name. While I think there is too much secrecy, we also can't handle total transparency. I'm also bothered by the fact that Assange isn't subject to any checks or balances.

Conversely, when governments can't get what they want by working within the law, they should not try to work outside the law either. Governments have to be subject to the rule of law, which makes the extra-judicial pursuit of Wikileaks especially hypocritical.

Cheers
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/8/2010 8:37:37 AM

The Empire is Wearing No Clothes...Wikileaks

Oh the irony.

U.S. State Department takes a break from its war against Wikileaks to announce that America will be hosting "World Press Freedom Day"

U.S. State Department Hilariously Announces ‘World Press Freedom Day’
by Ken Layne
9:51 pm December 7, 2010

The United States, which is currently engaged in a complete war against some weird guy with a website, is going to host “World Press Freedom Day,” the Department of State announced today. They’re all especially excited about protecting the flow of digital news, which is why Washington is “concerned about the determination of some governments to censor and silence individuals, and to restrict the free flow of information.” LOL. This is the same Department of State (and Justice Department and Pentagon and CIA and NATO and PayPal) trying everything to cut off WikiLeaks’ access to the Internet and its own money. Washington is also, at this moment, planning to extradite Julian Assange if it can figure out what the Swedes want. Where is Sweden, anyway?

From the official announcement:

The theme for next year’s commemoration will be 21st Century Media: New Frontiers, New Barriers. The United States places technology and innovation at the forefront of its diplomatic and development efforts. New media has empowered citizens around the world to report on their circumstances, express opinions on world events, and exchange information in environments sometimes hostile to such exercises of individuals’ right to freedom of expression. At the same time, we are concerned about the determination of some governments to censor and silence individuals, and to restrict the free flow of information. We mark events such as World Press Freedom Day in the context of our enduring commitment to support and expand press freedom and the free flow of information in this digital age.

http://wonkette.com/431902/u-s-state-department-hilariously-announces-world-press-freedom-day
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2010 10:35:32 AM
^^^George Orwell is RIGL...rolling in the grave laughing.

Anyone able to get into mastercard? At this rate there may not be an internet by Press Freedom day. We might anticipate some austere measures being legislated in the next session to severely curtail information on the internet and better track and filter all internet communications.
 earthlingsRevenge
Msg: 38
Posted: 12/8/2010 5:51:28 PM
Good thread, Earthpuppy. Someone gotta start it.

Three groups of people will be outraged by Wikileaks. (1) Ignorants who think government can do no wrong (2) People who do not mind to be manipulated by the government with lies after lies (3) Government officials who are part of the lies. Look at the senators and congressmen , they are fuming.

But I have a suspicion, Assange may be the front man. Again, three possibilities.
1) Assange is the real deal.
2) There are 2 factions in CIA/Pentagon. One group revolted.
3) A foreign country's intelligence at work to get back at uncle Sam.
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2010 5:13:00 AM
Now this is ironic - Amazon is selling content from WikiLeaks cables as Kindle book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004EEOLIU?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1
 kari135
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2010 9:05:56 AM
^^^^^ After they refused to let him use the hosting he (apparently) rented from them? If that's not double dealing and back stabbing, I don't know what is.

As for WikiLeaks, it would be more to the point if politicians and diplomats didn't put things in writing they don't want coming back to bite them on the ass later. And it is kind of funny in a warped way - a few years ago I lived in a state with Sunshine laws. When a fed came to show a current report to the governor, he let her look at it and took it back before a copy could be made - because it had something to do with terrorist targets and the feds didn't want it made public. What did we, as a whole, get from that kind of thing? Riiight, the TSA!
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2010 10:07:44 AM
There is another story about the Empire's clothing issue. This is unbelievable.
http://ampedstatus.com/the-wall-street-pentagon-papers-biggest-scam-in-world-history-exposed-are-the-federal-reserves-crimes-too-big-to-comprehend

Back to wiki...This is the most disgusting revelation thus far. Our tax dollars at work, pimping male children to the Afghan power elite.
tiny.cc/8uhgx
"For Pashtuns in the South of Afghanistan, there is no shame in having a little boy lover; on the contrary, it is a matter of pride. Those who can afford the most attractive boy are the players in their world, the OG's of places like Kandahar and Khost. On the Frontline video, ridiculously macho warrior guys brag about their young boyfriends utterly without shame.

So perhaps in the evil world of Realpolitik, in which there is apparently no moral compass US private contractors won't smash to smithereens, it made sense for DynCorp to drug up some Pashtun police recruits and turn them loose on a bunch of little boys. But according to the leaked document, Atmar, the Afghani interior minister, was terrified this story would catch a reporter's ear."
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 42
Posted: 12/9/2010 12:00:16 PM
As a side note, I read that Assange hung out in a journalist's club while he was in hiding from international police in London.
Now THAT makes sense! WTH?
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 43
Posted: 12/10/2010 11:04:35 AM
Congressman Ron Paul defends Wikileaks and Julian Assange with a brilliant speech on the house floor

Lying is Not Patriotic

Congressman Ron Paul speaks on the house floor. December 9, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxPB9yy7IJ4&feature=sub
 kari135
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2010 11:17:08 AM
I'd be interested in finding out how the UK courts can justify letting a man out on bail while he's charged with hiring someone to kill his new wife on their honeymoon - and she was indeed killed - but Assange is denied bail for something that wouldn't even be prosecutable in the US, no matter what they label it. Though I did read somewhere that one of the women has ties to the CIA, but I'll bet that bit never comes up officially in any court hearing.
 SaharaM
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2010 11:30:34 AM
There are guidelines around bail... you can satisfy your curiousity by looking into them.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 46
Posted: 12/10/2010 1:14:48 PM
Kari, I would say Assange is deemed a flight risk while Shrien Dewani's judge thought differently. However, it appears Dewani's bail conditions are quite onerous - he must wear an electronic tag, report to police every day, he must abide to a curfew, etc.
 kari135
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2010 1:41:33 PM
@RubyWaxxx: I'd be a flight risk, too, if I were the one reaping the fallout from releasing, for instance, the video Collateral Murder. The ones who ought to be the real flight risks are those who authorized such actions, and those who happily followed orders that should not have been given and/or charged for what they did instead of attempting to cover it all up.

I'd also be interested in how many of those posting here have done any kind of research at all into what WikiLeaks is and does, or just takes the latest news report as gospel. From what I've read in the online papers, a whole lot of embarrassed people are busy nailing shut the barn door now that the horse has gone, and they're hoping the noise of the hammers will distract others from the real problems.
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2010 2:42:11 PM
I bet the prison staff are asking Assange for help in setting up their router. This always happens to the techie guy.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 49
Posted: 12/14/2010 5:54:16 PM
Well, the latest is Mr Assange's dating profile has been discovered.
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/cocky-assange-seeks-spirited-erotic-noncomformist-20101215-18xgm.html?from=smh_sb
Seems he needs more action in his life!
I'm just wondering though - why not PoF, Julian? Free dating sites not good enough for you, huh?
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2010 5:58:45 PM
Yes, saw that - pretty intriguing ad.

Except for the fact that he hasn't logged into OK C U P I D for 4 years, I was considering giving it a shot........haha........

why not PoF, Julian?

Maybe he IS here, profile buried and long forgotten, just awaiting some Aussie sleuth to poke around..........
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The Empire is Wearing No Clothes...Wikileaks.