Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their money      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 26
view profile
History
increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their moneyPage 2 of 32    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32)

Hell I might even marry a man if there is enough money involved, and I am one of the biggest homophobes on POF.

HA!!! Did you not read the thread about homophobia? It's not real. You aren't "afraid" of manly-love, you're just not in tune with your own sexual desires.

~OT~ When I was about 17 a friend of my parents said to me, "Don't marry for money. Just love where monies at." I was mortified at the comment, and certainly didn't follow the advice, yet I remember those words all these years later. Maybe he had a point? (Wouldn't work for me, but I do see where it does work for others.) JMO
 Consigliori
Msg: 27
view profile
History
increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their money
Posted: 1/5/2011 9:18:05 AM

Of course women marry for money, so do men. What are you going to do? Pick someone that will make you poor? I really don't think so.....

That's pretty limiting unless you're on the bottom of the financial pyramid.
 RushLuv
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/5/2011 9:18:22 AM
Another typical gold-digging thread. What is your point, OP? I would also marry a man more educated, and with a bigger income than my own.

As a matter of fact, I am currently "talking" to one now and that is without the help of POF. Gotta love that real life dating.
 happybunny8
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/5/2011 9:26:13 AM
I think every man I have dated as a working adult has made more than me. I cannot for the life of me recall (and pretty sure I didn't ever know) how much they made or how much difference there was between our paychecks.

We looked at monthly bills and decided on a course of action. This was the one and only time I lived with someone.

Any bills I had before I met him, I paid. Any bills I had for extra stuff I bought, I paid. It really wasn't that difficult.

So based on that fact, maybe the real truth is that the majority of men still make more than women? Dunno.

In general, women have always looked to marry “a good provider” and, even though the definition has changed over the years, I still see bits of that thinking holding over.

Yes, there is still some of this holding over as many of us were raised by stay-at-home moms. No matter how what your parents tell you, their actions tell you just as much.

Most men and women I know seek someone similar when it comes to $$ or at least someone who was living responsibly before they met.
 esp123
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/5/2011 9:36:07 AM
Well if you look around you and especially on Dating sites, I think that study is correct.
 DudeistPriest
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/5/2011 9:42:10 AM
I love this! When men claim that most women they meet are, let's say "fiscally motivated", the women here blast them. When an actual study is done , with results that support that so called myth, that to is scoffed at. Almost proves two other myths about the fairer sex. The woman is always right, and men will never win.
As for me, I avoided the dilemma entirely by avoiding wealth. Of course this methodology seems have had it's own set of draw backs, but at least I can leave the seat up whenever I want.
Seriously though, even though the study shows the link,it falls short of cause and effect. Could be that more women are marrying better educated men because they themselves are better educated, and the disparity in income may be due to inequality in office/workplace.
 Consigliori
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2011 9:44:59 AM
Idk. And who cares? There are more important issues to consider. I can tell you this, my wife is much better at managing “my” money than I ever was. She takes the 'scrimp and save' approach where I’m a ‘let’s just make more’ person. She does more with a buck than I can do with a Franklin. And I like that, it’s worth more to my family than having a like-income partner.
 eastwood969
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/5/2011 9:57:28 AM
Since the stock market crashed in 1929 and was probably followed by more than ten years of a struggling economy a woman would have been lucky to find a man whom carries dimes in his pocket. I don't think in the year 1940 there were many rich men. My dad told me that there was a time period where people just traded, coal for food,etc.The good news is they were silver dimes. I sold a bunch of them at ten times value in the 1970's
 mrcs84
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2011 10:50:37 AM

And how does this fit with the fact that 57% of college students in the U.S. are women? And that women are more likely to graduate from college than men?

Men are more likely to go to trade schools and/or join the military. Women tend to also choose fields of study that pay less. An art history/psychology major is going to make less than a math/engineering major

Moreover, even with all that education that women are getting, AND the fact that women make up 53% of the professional workforce, they're still only 28% of the population that makes 40k a year or more.
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/5/2011 12:19:56 PM
When i married, i married a man with a much higher education level and higher status career than i had. So at first glance one might think i married for money.

I am a high school grad with some college and university and vocational training, but no degree, and i do not intend to go back to school and get one either.
My husband held a Masters degree and completed the police academy.

I didnt however, i earned as much and sometimes more than my spouse, though my job wouldnt have been considered a status job, nor did it require a degree to get, just hard work and willing to put in nutty hours.

99% of the men i have dated held degrees also, my boyfriend holds a bachelors, if i only dated on my own edcuation level i would be alone forever because i dont meet any.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/5/2011 12:24:10 PM
First, even in the news snippet, the researcher NEVER says that women are marrying for money: she says that women are marrying men with HIGHER education and the CAPACITY for higher earnings.

This does not translate into women marrying for money, nor does it translate into marriages where the man makes vast amounts of more money than their husbands. It means, simply, that women are marrying men more educated than they are.

And I reiterate, I am not sure how this is possible because there are more women than men getting college educations. In addition, in 2005, "over a quarter, 27.7%, had earned a Bachelor's degree." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educational_attainment_in_the_United_States

Add this to that:
In 2006, over 60 percent of all college degrees were earned by women, and the numbers are expected to get higher over the next decade.
http://www.phonydiploma.com/what-percent-of-people-have-a-college-degree.aspx

If about 1/3 of the population is getting a BA, then whom are the 2/3 marrying? Of 60% of those getting degrees are women, then whom the heck are they marrying?

The working poor, on the other hand, earn only 12 percent of all college degrees. They are also the most likely to obtain just an Associate , rather than a higher degree.
http://www.phonydiploma.com/what-percent-of-people-have-a-college-degree.aspx

I guess the study is speaking of high school drop-outs who marry guys with AA degrees.

In the US, women still make less money than do men:
In 2004 the median income of FTYR workers was $40,798 for males, compared to $31,223 for females (DeNavas-Walt et al., 2005), giving a gender earnings gap in 2004 of 0.235 [2]. This is often expressed as a percentage: "in 2004, women's wages were 76.5% of men's wages," or "in 2004, women earned 23.5% less than men.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male%E2%80%93female_income_disparity_in_the_United_States

Given these stats, it would be kinda hard for a woman to find many men who make the same or less than she does.

As someone else said, I think the study is whacked--or maybe it applies only to the Brits.
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/5/2011 1:55:20 PM

In todays' News, there is a study that shows more women are marrying for money than in 1940. The author of the report, Dr Catherine Hakim, says "there is a myth that women invariably choose to have a relationship of total equality. More and more women are choosing to marry men who are substantially better educated than them, and therefore have higher earnings."
I thought this was standard procedure, maybe she is referring to political correctness.

It has been so from the start of time........As has the Tarzan effect has too. Learning how to play the game while keeping your marbles is the key!
 Walts
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2011 2:13:11 PM
When I grow up I'm gonna start making up surveys. Then I'm gonna start throwing alllllll the results around and tell everyone of the "truth" that I have discovered. Then I'm gonna figure out how to make lots and lots and lots of money using those "truths".

Then, can I get married??????

Surveys are for suckers. Just like stats.
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2011 2:31:12 PM

There was a war in the 40s. .and a draft.

All the working class V rile hunks were gone.

What was left to pick from? Older rich men...............

Nailed! Good work Peppermint!!!!!!!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2011 2:38:04 PM
First, I demand to see the research project that confirmed that there was a myth that "women invariably choose to have a relationship of total equality." Next, I want to see the 1940 survey that asked THOSE women how many married for money. Then I want to be paid to read them, and to report back as to the relative veracity of the NEW study. As I am slightly psychic, I can predict with near certainty that my report will include, prominently displayed, the phrase "SO WHAT?"
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2011 2:41:27 PM
Well I dissagree with the word "more".
That's always been happening.
and hey, it's a preference same as any other.

Like us guys marrying girls based solely on their looks.
It's not like that's shallow or something.
:-P
 niagara45
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/5/2011 2:43:28 PM

Naaaa....they just think we can teach them something sexually that their young puppy girlfriends can't

I dunno about that. My experience has been that the young ones think we will be amazed and incredibly grateful for their stamina and prowess.

The truth is a woman "marrying down" in terms of money and education is not that common. I'm not saying it's a deal breaker, but I would much prefer a a mate who is my equal, or superior in education. The money is not as important. I met a nice professor lately, and I am pretty sure he is not that well paid. I will still date him, though.
 Walts
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2011 2:51:53 PM

but I would much prefer a a mate who is my equal, or superior in education.

Kinda bizarre statement from an intelligent young lady. I'm SURE you didn't mean it the way ya wrote it though.
 happybunny8
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/5/2011 7:27:02 PM

When I grow up I'm gonna start making up surveys. Then I'm gonna start throwing alllllll the results around and tell everyone of the "truth" that I have discovered. Then I'm gonna figure out how to make lots and lots and lots of money using those "truths".

Then, can I get married??????

I recommend taking a survey for that decision.
 platypus_man
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2011 8:09:50 PM
Since when it this news? That's the way it's always been. Women routinely date, and marry, up. Not the reverse. Sure, you'll occasionally see the exception, but it isn't very common.
 abelian
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/5/2011 8:55:58 PM

More and more women are choosing to marry men who are substantially better educated than them, and therefore have higher earnings."

I wonder if there is a similar statistic about the men those more and more women had sex with before latching on to Dudley Doright. Maybe that's ideal for average wage earners who don't want to get married.
 Zermatt
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2011 9:25:19 PM
I am so sick of this women marry men for their money and the whole gold digger thing. Increasing numbers of MEN are marrying women for their money.

I live in Washington DC area--lots of successful educated women here who own their own homes, cars, etc., highly educated, live a comfortable lifestyle. We don't want a man's money, but we need to know he is not after us for ours.
 daynadaze
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2011 9:40:27 PM

This (so-called study?), who were the test subjects, where did these women live, what was the age demographics of the women in this study? I looked at your link to this article, it told me no more than you did in your post. Motown was right, thou$ands of tax payer dollars paid for a useless article that most people will never read.

Exactly, you have to know the details of the study to know if it even has an ounce of weight, this was an article from the BBC, where was the study done??? Anyone can write an article and site any idiot, since I didn't see any link to the actual study I have no idea what this is about. I've read article by creationists who claim experts to back their facts, I'm seen KKK articles that claim proof that white men are superior and claim evidence by experts, I've seen conspiracy theorist claim proof of things that have no real research...the world is full of this crap and rarely is even a part of it ever true.

As for women being home in the 40s, there was a mass movement in the 40s, during the war, that many women went to work.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2011 5:43:23 AM
Big surprise...women think of thier future offspring's survival when selecting thier mate, and men dont to the same degree. They may worry thier kids will inherit thier father in laws nose or weak legs (lol) , but not that thier kids mom will have enough money on her own to live-as he 'knows' inherintly he will provide. This is the way it has always been, and I dont see it changing anytime soon. I cant believe money was spent on a study that is just basic common sense in human mate selection. One of the two parents HAS to worry about financial success of the family unit in order for our species to survive. This is not rocket science.
 esp123
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/6/2011 5:48:36 AM

That's always been happening.
and hey, it's a preference same as any other.

Like us guys marrying girls based solely on their looks.
It's not like that's shallow or something

LOL

Some don't mention their intention on their profile of what they really want but you will know of their true colours through their actions :)
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their money