Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their money      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 51
view profile
History
increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their moneyPage 3 of 32    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32)
Of COURSE, women marry up, men marry down!!

THAT is why there are all those rich, beautiful, highly intelligent, well educated women out there no man on the planet wants.

Geesh. "Women marry up, men marry down" is such an obvious logical falacy even a high school sophomore can see through it. Why would anyone even try to repeat it with a straight face?

Man, millions and Millions and MILLIONS of Rich, Beautiful, Highly Intelligent, Well Educated Women out there EVERY saturday night with nothing to play with but a vibrator and a 12-pack or two of batteries, and ALL of them are available to me!!

Be still, my heart. Tell 'em to take a number and line up.

Big surprise...women think of thier future offspring's survival when selecting thier mate, and men dont to the same degree.

If you care to check the records in the maternity wards in any of a few dozen hospitals, you'll find 1.) that for all practical purposes all fathers are under age 35, most under 30, a large number under 22, and a surprising number still teenagers and a few barely old enough to be teenagers, and 2.) and nearly ALL of the new mothers are thin and attractive.

So ....

.... 1.) HOW much "wealth" does a man under age 30 (or 20, or 15) have? .... and 2.) did the new fathers "select well" when breeding?

Answers: 1.) precious little, and 2.) Yeah, they did.

BTW, again checking in the maternity wards, it is OBVIOUS most new mothers "selected" the fathers of their children by athletic ability -- well-coordinated, lean, muscular, highly conditioned physically, able to "defend the cave" -- AND by a handsome face (which itself is indicative of "good genes").

Most women who want to "marry for money" fail to do so, and those who actually manage to do so marry men so fugly they usually have no more than one child by the man, if that (they can't stand to look at him without his clothes on).
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 52
increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their money
Posted: 1/6/2011 8:11:18 AM

Of COURSE, women marry up, men marry down!!

Although waywardwynde said this sarcastically, I must comment on it.

So, we judge "up" and "down" based solely on money? If m boyfriend and I get married, he is marrying "down" because I make less money than he is? Or is he marrying "up" because I have an MA and he "only" has a BA?

Men have traditionally married women with less money and less education for two reasons:

1. Since the Victorian era, middle and upper class women were expected not to work. In reality, poor women have always worked--and yes, women worked in the home. Being a domestic engineer is not to be discounted, but it did not allow women to make a remunerative living.

2. For centuries, women were simply not educated (neither were poor men, but that is another topic). Even early advocates for the education of women--such as Mary Godwin, mother of Mary Shelley--felt education was necessary so that women could be interesting wives for their husbands.

Given these facts, and they are facts, not opinions, unless a woman had a family fortune, a man was almost always going to marry a woman who had less money than he did. Likewise, until the advent of colleges for female, he was almost always going to marry a woman less educated.

Note: I say "almost always" because there are exceptions to every set of circumstances.

Rich families didn't want their daughters to "marry down" because they feared for their fortunes.

Now, the education paradigm has shifted and more women than men are getting higher degrees. Women still make less money, but even that can change in the future.

As for women in WWII marrying "rich" older men--how many rich old men were in existence during that era? Certainly not enough to marry all the clamoring gold-diggers. In addition, women worked at a previously unprecedented rate during WW II, giving them options to support themselves.
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/6/2011 9:10:50 AM
I was talking to a lady once not from this site. As soon as I mentioned I lived in a manufactured home, I never heard from her again.

Why do you think that was?........HUMMMMM

Funny the reason I went with a manufactured homes was they are built better than most site built homes today.

They have to meet wind zone standards that a site built doesn't.

A zone 3 class home has weathered a F3 hurricane with just loosing a few shingles.....While a site built home beside it was destroyed.

Judging anyone by money or the type of home they have is not a good way to judge.
JMHO
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/6/2011 9:32:20 AM
Some women will judge us by the amount of education we have the home we live in the car we drive the status of our job - all to do with a display of wealth and success. Funny thing is there are many people in North America who display all the trappings of success but are in debt up to their eyeballs ( ok not so many as there were before the recession hit ) and millionaires who are very conservative in their diplays of wealth. A woman who is looking for a secure future for herself or her kids through her husband ( or even just a man who will not make them bankrupt as a couple ) is better off finding a man who can make money grow rather than one who can make it disappear.
 Blu_Angie
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/6/2011 9:45:19 AM
Do you know how many times I have heard the saying-

marry for love the first time and if it doesnt work out, marry for money the second time?

It makes me sick!
 matchlight
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2011 9:50:27 AM

I would much prefer a a mate who is my equal, or superior in education. The money is not as important.

That jumped out at me. Mind if I ask why? I would have thought the preference for men with more education, like in that survey, was based on money.
 Welsh474
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/6/2011 10:00:27 AM
I think everyone is getting lost in the "man with a degree" issue. There are many people in the "trades" that make more money than a teacher, for example. Many plumbers, electrician, etc. can make well over $100,000.00 per year. Many business owners, who may or may not have a univeristy/college degree can be very successful. Many geeky folks that we bored and left college are now making big bucks in the tech industry. Just because you have a degree doesn't make you wealthy.

I think the thing is, and this is only my opinion, is to find someone who compliments you mentally, physically, and in ever other aspect of your life and just enjoy. If you enjoy world travel you will not be happy with someone who can't afford to travel or doesn't enjoy leaving their living room. If you enjoy stimulating conversations, find a partner that does as well. And on it goes.

There will always be those that want the young Barbie Doll on their are or the gal that wants the sugar daddy. But I think for the most part the majority of folks just want someone who "fits" them in all areas.
 niagara45
Msg: 58
Posted: 1/6/2011 10:08:34 AM

That jumped out at me. Mind if I ask why? I would have thought the preference for men with more education, like in that survey, was based on money.

Well, a good education and a good wage do not always go together. I know a welder who has a PhD in philosophy...LOL. I also know people with no post secondary education who are successful in certain areas of business.

For me, the education thing is just a preference. It has bothered me for a long time that I only have a B.A. I am currently taking courses towards a Master's Degree. The truth is, I don't actually think it will improve my earning potential, as I love my current jobs and I don't intend to switch careers. I still value the academic learning, though. I just think I would have more in common with someone who shared interest in academia. I don't think educated people are "better" than others, just more interesting to me.

When I married my ex, he had neither education nor money...LOL. That was 25 years ago. Now, the money is even less relevant, because I have my own.
 matchlight
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2011 12:55:18 PM

I still value the academic learning, though. I just think I would have more in common with someone who shared interest in academia.

The next time I get anywhere near Phoenix, I'm going to stop off and visit my master's thesis, which is down with all the others in some dim corner of a sub-basement at ASU. They're really just overgrown term papers that you have to defend against whatever questions a few professors may raise about them.

Good for you, just to go after it for personal reasons. I understand. My parents came to the cap-and-gown ceremony, and we were all hugs and smiles afterwards. But later that evening, after I was alone, I felt completely overcome and could not hold back the tears.

I'm not sure how much someone's academic achievements affect how interesting I think they are. Sometimes I've had that happen, but I can think of a lot of times when it hasn't. Benjamin Franklin was pretty much self-taught, and I've never heard him described as uninteresting. Smart comes in different flavors, and I like most of them a lot--degree, or no degree.
 niagara45
Msg: 60
Posted: 1/6/2011 1:35:58 PM
The next time I get anywhere near Phoenix, I'm going to stop off and visit my master's thesis, which is down with all the others in some dim corner of a sub-basement at ASU.

The paper copy of your master's thesis is just the physical manifestation of the learning that hopefully took place. I hope you gained some knowledge and expertise on your thesis topic that you consider to be enduring and worthwhile.

I'm not sure how much someone's academic achievements affect how interesting I think they are.

I suppose it depends on who you know. Each and every time I have encountered someone who speaks so well, and who is so knowledgeable, and so interesting that I could just sit and listen to him/her all day....it turns out that the person is highly educated. You will note that I said interesting "to me".
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 61
Posted: 1/6/2011 2:22:55 PM

Each and every time I have encountered someone who speaks so well, and who is so knowledgeable, and so interesting that I could just sit and listen to him/her all day....it turns out that the person is highly educated

For me that person is usually someone who has an interesting voice - someone capable of reading books doing voice overs in animated movies or reporting the news or doing radio. Most of my professors ( I am sure they were well educated and knowledgeable ) put me to sleep with thier monotone or bad voice. One does not have to be particularily educated ( in a formal sense) to be either knowledgeable or interesting.
 MichelleRenee1234
Msg: 62
Posted: 1/6/2011 2:28:43 PM

But, I'd rather have a hard worker vs. a rich man any day of the week... funny how most rich men are hard workers... hmmm..

Or scandalous thieves
 Consigliori
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2011 2:34:30 PM

I suppose it depends on who you know.

I think there’s a lot of truth to this. And naturally the background of the observer will affect the conclusions drawn. If you know something about grammar or vocabulary, for instance, you probably place higher value on those characteristics than someone who isn’t so proficient. On the other hand, if you’re talking to mechanic who has no formal education and you don’t know what the heck a solenoid is, he isn’t going to be impressed by your conjugation of past participles.
 ladyc4
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2011 3:05:17 PM

So? apparently increasing numbers of men are going along with the deal.
From the time that marriage became a decision left up to the 2 people contemplating it, many women have chosen husbands that would not pull them into poverty. These days, a lot of men look at women very carefully to make sure they are not about to say "I do" with a money pit on legs. I'm also aware that there are men out there seeking to marry women for their money/possessions. To someone of either gender who is living on a relatives' sofa, someone with a roof over their head and the means to maintain it can be mighty attractive. Back in the day when parents either completely arranged or had enormous influence on their offsprings' marriages, it wasn't at all uncommon for matters of money and property to be a huge factor in the choice of a spouse.
Again, so what? Is this another prelude to a whinefest about how if a guy doesn't have tremendous good looks and lots of money, "he doesn't stand a chance"? Guess what, guys, if you are striking out over and over again, it's about YOU, not a lack of looks and/or cash. Probably goes just as well for us ladies. Also, for both genders, all these new means to widen one's hunting grounds, relationships are becoming very much driven by choice and the perception of a much larger selection,and opportunities,the "what's available locally" factor has a lot LESS weight in today's dating,relationship and marriage scene.
Cindy O
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 65
Posted: 1/6/2011 3:32:32 PM

I'm not sure how much someone's academic achievements affect how interesting I think they are.

I suppose it depends on who you know. Each and every time I have encountered someone who speaks so well, and who is so knowledgeable, and so interesting that I could just sit and listen to him/her all day....it turns out that the person is highly educated. You will note that I said interesting "to me".

It does depend on whom one knows. I find some topics boring, and even if someone has an advanced degree in those fields, it will most likely still be boring. I say "most likely" because some people are born storytellers and can make reading a recipe interesting.

For the topics that I do find interesting, I most often find that people who are formally educated in that field are more interesting simply because they have done more research.

My field is writing, literature, and mythology. I am a born storyteller. My knowledge, coupled with my ability to spin a tale, makes for interesting conversations with me.

No, I am not humble or modest, but there is no need to be when one speaks the truth. (Grin.)
 niagara45
Msg: 66
Posted: 1/6/2011 3:49:03 PM

On the other hand, if you’re talking to mechanic who has no formal education and you don’t know what the heck a solenoid is, he isn’t going to be impressed by your conjugation of past participles.

I wouldn't say that I am not "impressed" by the knowledge or skill needed to become a

licensed mechanic ( which is becoming hard to do without some book learning, BTW) but

rather that I am not "interested" in it.
 kari135
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2011 4:11:08 PM

The next time I get anywhere near Phoenix, I'm going to stop off and visit my master's thesis, which is down with all the others in some dim corner of a sub-basement at ASU. They're really just overgrown term papers that you have to defend against whatever questions a few professors may raise about them.

Good for you, just to go after it for personal reasons. I understand. My parents came to the cap-and-gown ceremony, and we were all hugs and smiles afterwards. But later that evening, after I was alone, I felt completely overcome and could not hold back the tears.

I'm not sure how much someone's academic achievements affect how interesting I think they are. Sometimes I've had that happen, but I can think of a lot of times when it hasn't. Benjamin Franklin was pretty much self-taught, and I've never heard him described as uninteresting. Smart comes in different flavors, and I like most of them a lot--degree, or no degree.

I agree with the different flavors of smart - some of the best-read and well-informed people I've known never finished high school, but that didn't have any affect of their desire to find out all they could about anything that interested them - and many of them have a lot of interests.

One of my favorite stories on defending a Master's thesis came from a friend who was teaching at the U of Alaska and on the committee to hear this particular defense. The thesis was on the diet of a group of grizzly bears and took 3 years to complete. He said there was no question about that person getting it, anyone willing to struggle through the wilderness collecting bear shit for 2 years and spend another year compiling the data was obviously dedicated to their chosen profession. But the committee had no intention of making it too easy, the person was going to be answering endless questions first.
 letsgocanes11
Msg: 68
Posted: 1/6/2011 4:20:41 PM
This is a great topic. A few months ago I dated a girl. She was in her 30's. Anyways, she always made it known how much money that she pulled in. She made it very clear to me how much money she made in hopes of finding out what my salary was. This made me very uncomfortable and I began question her integrity.

One day I put her character to the test. I told her that I made 1/3rd of what my salary actually was. From that very moment she lost complete interest in me. She said she needed someone in her life that would provide financial security. I then told her: "This was only 1/3rd of what I actually made and now I know that you really don't like me for me." She then tried to save face and make up as I put my clothes on and walked out the front door as she watched in shock.

People are very shallow these days and this is a true story. Good riddance!
 Maleman999
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2011 4:31:36 PM
A lot of women's profiles portray a different story. The profiles say they are mainly looking for someone with a sense of humor. They must have a clown fetish. Check to see if Ronald McDonald is available. I guess the lesson is the wealthier a guy is, the funnier he is. Some women think that marrying someone wealthy will buy a lot of humor.
 wuddupkid
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2011 4:40:13 PM
check this site out.. http://www.beatroulettesystem.blogspot.com
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 71
Posted: 1/6/2011 4:52:37 PM
In todays' News, there is a study that shows more women are marrying for money than in 1940.

Women and men marry for all kinds of reasons. I would think that in the 40's trying to marry "up'" or into money would be more common than today, when women have better opportunities to make a buck than then.

Anyway, maybe when there is no good reason left to marry a man, you resolve to marry for money. I'm glad I'm not that bad off...

ohwhynot46
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2011 6:50:59 PM
As always, the problem with studies....

Actually, the claim is that the percentage of European women choosing to "marry up" (when it comes to education, the assumption that this is due to increased income alone is the Dr.'s alone) has risen almost 20%. As usual, simply a baseless conclusion in order to gain funding for research, if you ask me. Not to say that this isn't the case, only that it nothing more than evidence that ANY study can be used to back up any foregone conclusion. In any case, the decision to marry, in the fact, the invitation to do so, isn't one made by one party alone, is it?

For the most part, though, I am thinking that this is likely a good thing, genetically speaking. More often than not, a rich man can have his choice of "more beautiful" women, and given that he is more educated, smarter, etc. their offspring, over generations, are therefore more likely to be smarter & more physically attractive. All is right with the world, ain't it?

I would have thought the preference for men with more education, like in that survey, was based on money.

For me, preferring those with more education than less usually stems from my enjoyment of intelligent, logical, intelligible conversation period.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 73
Posted: 1/6/2011 8:20:28 PM
brought to you by the department of the agency of redundancy and silliness.

1940.... there was indeed a World War going on. Many of the eligible men were off in uniform, or returning from war in various stages of brokeness.... and we had all just come out of the global depression..... the fact that women were getting married at all is pretty amazing.

the old saw women marry for money, men marry for sex - it is indeed the oldest profession on the books.

do they have a study that more women are DIVORCING for money as well ?.....
 karma1160
Msg: 74
Posted: 1/6/2011 10:12:22 PM
Women have their own money now a days and I don't know any women that puts money as the priority when they are over 45.
Oh and by the way this is not just a female to male issue, I have met a few guys on here that were looking to pitch me a deal.
Eitherway, this is an age old conclusion that people talk about when they can not figure out what went wrong or do not want to admit what went wrong.
If money was the only thing that I needed to find happiness, I would have had it a thousand times over.
Sooner or later you have to go home..........
I would rather live with the town comedian, that made me laugh that was broke as hllllll,
than have to jump to the steps of someone who thought they were doing me a favor, by being with me, because they have money.
 joebleaux
Msg: 75
Posted: 1/7/2011 6:28:47 AM
all women marry men for their money. once married, the woman has no obligations, and the man has all the obligations.

this is why over 50 percent of women now in the usa are not married, and are not likely ever to get married. men have woken up.

google "boycott american women" for more information. men are sick of being used.

the uk government recently published some stats on how "over 2 million british men have DISAPPEARED in the last decade". they "imputed" numbers for their census (ie lied and made up crap) to cover for only part of the disparity.

well, i just got back from mexico city. i don't know if there are two million british men there with gorgeous, traditional, faithful mexican wives and girlfriends, but i met an awful lot.

american men are behind their british counterparts, but catching up fast.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their money