Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > A man must love the woman more than the woman loves the man      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kayla1963
Msg: 126
A man must love the woman more than the woman loves the manPage 6 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

its always better if the man Likes his woman, and she LOVES him.

Haha! Does this get him off the hook for Valentine's Day?
 JP1111
Msg: 127
view profile
History
A man must love the woman more than the woman loves the man
Posted: 4/27/2011 5:57:21 PM
I think their is no validity to this as, each person should love the other as best they can :) No 50/50, no one should love the other more than the other as, how would you even measure that?

"A man must love the woman more than the woman loves the man". Is the old school way of interpreting and viewing things in a relationship but, when you see the reality of today, you can see that we are all 100% responsible for what we do.
 sukkatash
Msg: 128
Posted: 4/27/2011 6:35:20 PM

Do you think that there is some validity to what my mother told me?

There is always some validity to what moms tell us.
Especially since most of the time kids spend a lot of effort in reinterpreting and reading into and shoving things into what mom tells us to either make it true or false.

This is wholeheartedly true if your, or a, goal is primarily or solely to just get the guy to stick around.
Lots of guys don't stick around. Even after the woman bears him a child.
(the saying says men must love women more, yes, lots of women don't stick around, not really relevant to this saying, thread, or my point, I am not assuming or agreeing that men are the only leaving **stards)

Everyone has a different idea of what love is.
Everyone tells themselves what love is in a different way, or believes different things to be love when to others it's not.

Most people (seem to, at least online) want a romantic ideal, or have this belief of how a relationship "should" go in order for it to be healthy and long term.
Rather than deal with what is, and what that will be, they try and manipulate from how something was and how that was can be changed now (with someone new) into what should be.

It's a guarantee the relationship will fail if you can't get people to stick around.

So I believe there is some validity to what the mom said.
I don't think it's like an absolute, and only one way for a relationship to work (I feel if I don't put that in there it will be assumed that I "agree" this is the way things "should" be done, and the only "right" way. I don't think it's for everyone though. Especially those that believe the purpose of a romantic long term relationship is mostly or solely for emotional fulfillment or a happiness high)
 five-marie
Msg: 129
Posted: 4/27/2011 6:55:06 PM
I would really hate to think this is true Marcus. Knowing the man I loved only liked me would leave me feeling insecure, inadequate. I think each should love the other, maybe not in the same way, men and women are different, cut certainly on the same level.
Sometimes relationships fail when a man loves a woman too much not because of the love but because of his neediness. Needy people become a burden.
 Out_of_the_Ash
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2011 9:07:05 PM
Marcus is displaying perhaps his own self in this conclusion he came up with, and based off his other recent posts I can smell the passive aggressiveness from here. Perfect excuse to not allow one's self to get too attached to someone, cuz "all" men are like this, and "all" women are like that. We're SOL.

So there you go, ladies. Anyone wanna hit him up for a date?
 viper1j
Msg: 131
Posted: 4/28/2011 3:06:36 AM
When was the last time a pregnant woman gave up her seat on the bus for a man?

When was the last time a woman jumped in front of a bullet to shield her man?

When was the last time a woman said " No Honey, you get in the lifeboat, I'm a much stronger swimmer than you.."?

Just wonderin'..
 Gashlycrumb_Briny
Msg: 132
Posted: 4/28/2011 7:21:33 AM

When was the last time a pregnant woman gave up her seat on the bus for a man?

I'm not sure why you are wondering this in this thread, since

1. It's totally irrelevant, since the op is about women and men in romantic relationships, not strangers on a bus, and;

2. Equality doesn't mean giving everyone exactly the same thing, because not everyone needs exactly the same thing. Whoever needs the seat the most should get it. It's what a civilized society does, and;

3. Wtf?

As for your other two wonderings, if your point was that women never sacrifice anything for their men, maybe you should consider the women who gave up their careers for the sake of their husbands', or gave up their time to look after them in poor health. or gave up part of their identities to be Mrs. Hisname. How often do women even have the opportunity to jump in front of bullets?
 grizzelda
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2011 7:31:29 AM

How often do women even have the opportunity to jump in front of bullets?

About the same as the vast majority of the men in this world. What a ridiculous analogy. I guess someone was watching Titanic and some old John Wayne movies and mistaking them for real life....
 matchlight
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2011 7:33:19 AM
^^^^I hope you don't think that's the way things should be. If you do, shame on you. There's a reason why we're bigger and stronger than women. We're specialized by nature to defend them, just like they are to bear and nurture children. There's part of that they cannot dish of to us, and we shouldn't make a habit of dishing our duties off to them. Fair is fair.
 happybunny8
Msg: 135
Posted: 4/28/2011 7:47:47 AM
Everything always goes back to equality with some of the men on here. I'm not saying that things are equal; but seriously? Go live your life.

Go teach your daughters how to be equal; it comes down to that. Parents, and this includes MEN are not teaching their children. Girls are going to continue to have the same mentality until men teach them differently. Instead you let the media teach your children.

If I were a female relative of some men on here, I'd be disgusted.

There's a reason why we're bigger and stronger than women. We're specialized by nature to defend them, just like they are to bear and nurture children. There's part of that they cannot dish of to us, and we shouldn't make a habit of dishing our duties off to them. Fair is fair.

Well said, I have no issue with either gender having roles based on their gender. It doesn't make anyone less of a person. Some people get all "equality" about the above statement. As a female who cannot do a lot of things men can do, I'm okay with that and I don't need to prove that I do. And by that token, there are some things that men can't do that I can. Now this varies from man/woman to man/woman.

Seriously. You guys need to get off here and go start a campaign.

I do however agree with Marcus that we should LIKE our partners. I think this is just as important as loving. For me, a good relationship has both passion and friendship. Without one, it's not whole.
 Maleman999
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2011 9:50:04 AM

For me, a good relationship has both passion and friendship. Without one, it's not whole.

This sounds like the definition for friends with benefits. That has a different meaning here, or is it really that much different?
 chameleonf
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2011 10:08:36 AM

This sounds like the definition for friends with benefits. That has a different meaning here, or is it really that much different?

So, what is your definition of a relationship outside of friends with benefits? Should a good relationship be lacking one of the items?... the passion or the friendship. What is love if there isn't friendship? Is a relationship supposed to lack passion?

As for the original post, I'd agree it's a throwback to the past at a time when men were viewed as a financial livelihood and women were viewed as chattel. For some (those who are lazy and incapable of self-sufficiency) that may still be the mindset, but I'm hopeful relationships are becoming more based on equality (including love for each other) than ulterior motives based on usury in one form or another on either gender's part.
 catamount11
Msg: 138
Posted: 4/28/2011 10:10:29 AM
This post really grinds my gears. I remember telling a friend how I really liked this girl because she would take me out to dinner and pay for it. The friend then responds with " didn't your mom teach you anything? Guys are supposed to always pay for dinner.". Granted she was going through a divorce and any woman that gives relationship advice that has been through a divorce or several is pretty laughable and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Love should go both ways and both parties should do equal chasing. Even if it is something as simple as a girl texting a guy and setting up a date or inviting him over for dinner. Any woman that thinks like the op(if she does think this) I rate in the same category as:"I want to be a stay at home mom.". This is also laughable and cuts your household income down thus leading to a tighter lifestyle. Women and their views on love these days....ridiculous and unrealistic.
 happybunny8
Msg: 139
Posted: 4/28/2011 10:27:01 AM
^^^thank you catamount for proving that men are taught to pay for women early on women are taught to expect it from men.

If a woman wants to pay for dinner for you, you should let her. Screw the rules. Do what feels right to you. AND if that means a man paying, and the woman accepting, then ok.

Just please please please stop this insanity or stop dating!
 catamount11
Msg: 140
Posted: 4/28/2011 10:33:07 AM
If a ask a girl out of course I will pay. But women who have the philosophy of " I won't text/call a guy ever that's his job." that kind of mentality us ridiculous to think a guy should do all the work and make all the moves. There are women that sometimes "date up" and yet still think they are the hottest thing ever when the truth is all they gave going for them is looks. This isn't isanity it's being reasonable.
 Vannili
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2011 8:12:57 PM

When it comes down to marriage, and relationships, I always thought couples that truly in love, loved one another equally.
I was told the opposite, actually and that was if we love someone more that person loves us, then it is not a good sign.

I totally agree with RushLuv.

I'll give an example if a man and a woman are learning to dance for a competition, and the man is giving his whole self 100% dedication and passion of what they are doing and the woman is only 1/2 or let say 3/4 of her share , it will not work because there is no sychronization of the same actions.
 Vannili
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2011 8:32:15 PM
Catamount : We are not talking about Chivary, we are talking about accepting and loving someone.We have to love wholeheartedly not half done, and this goes with any gender..

If I were a man ,and a woman will expect me to love her more, than she loves me, I don't think so that I am that suckup even she is the hottest thing on earth unless of course I am an old fart , ugly face and she'd love me more than I 'll love her ,because my Money Talks.
 bobdoor
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2011 5:03:28 AM
>Posted by Iconoclast: 2/6/2011 1059 AM
>So how do you measure amounts of love? Is there a special ruler of some kind? Can I use my kitchen measuring cups?

If it could be measured with measuring cups, I'd have more problems than I already do.

A nice measuring spoon set should suffice.
 deepestdesire
Msg: 144
Posted: 4/29/2011 10:26:46 AM
Year one: 50% : 50%
Year three: 70% : 30%
Year five: 60% : 40%

Year 10: 45% : 55%

Year 13: 70% : 30%

Year 20: 52% : 48%

Year 30: 54% : 62%

Year 50: 70% : 90%

death do us part.
 marcus_biggs
Msg: 145
Posted: 4/29/2011 11:12:03 AM
there is no such thing as equal, or 50/50. there are such things as ROLES (sorry feministas). the reason why i said a man must LIKE a woman, is because when he LIKES her, he's more interested. you ever looked at guys that are in LOVE???

miserable.
look like they want to shoot themselves, and then when things go wrong, they end up doing all kinds of MADNESS to, and for a woman.

but when he likes you, it's different. it's not possessive, to a degree, and he will usually give you his best. maybe you can call it a little detached if you want, but there is nothing wrong with that. You should feel strange about me saying this ladies, and i don't hold it against you for feeling different.

the idea that someone said people should try their best to give there all, is the ideal way one would want to do things, but somewhere down the line, someone is giving more energy.

lets look at it in another perspective, when we are talking to one another, there is an energy exchange, no two people are sharing, for long. no such thing as 50/50.
 cdubb1222
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 6:33:00 PM
I've recently read about this on another forum from a different website... the other website was filled with married couples who agree with your statement, that their marriage has somewhat benefited from this train of thought.

We are single. What do we know?
 platypus_man
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2012 3:03:20 AM
Edit: Wow, I'm brain dead. I forgot it was 2012 when I replied to this. dredged up old thread.
But basically, to the OP's statement, the answer is NO. Relationships are rarely 50/50.
 Capn_America
Msg: 148
Posted: 2/7/2012 7:55:18 AM
In the sense your mother said it? No; its not a man must love a woman more than the woman loves the man. If both parties in a couple had the same mentality (I should love him/her more than she/he loves him/her), then couples would be a lot better. But there's always one of the two who's more selfish, who doesnt care, who puts his ego in front, etc. If you love with all your heart without expectying anything in return, its rewarding. If both parties would do the same....nuff said.

And there's ALWAYS one that loves more than the other. Usually the woman. In my case, it was always me. But I'm not quite the guy you'd expect.
 JoseMadre
Msg: 149
Posted: 2/7/2012 9:17:47 AM
In a relationship if the priority of each person is to meet the needs of the other, it will succeed. If the priority is to meet one's own needs, it will ultimately fail.

Simple to say, difficult to do.
 Capn_America
Msg: 150
Posted: 2/7/2012 9:33:04 AM

In a relationship if the priority of each person is to meet the needs of the other, it will succeed. If the priority is to meet one's own needs, it will ultimately fail.

Simple to say, difficult to do.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > A man must love the woman more than the woman loves the man