Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Atlas Shrugged - The Movie (Part 1)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Page 2u
Msg: 176
Atlas Shrugged - The Movie (Part 1)Page 8 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Too much—I think I finely understand Freeman economics.
Perhaps not it’s complexities, but more of a rudimentary spirit of the theory.

Gotta love pof—I only heard of Freeman, some 5 yrs ago—not that interested in economics, but I kept my eyes open.
Then –pof—something called Atlas shrugged.. lol.. Love it.

Ms. Rand —was such a fox.. interviewer after interviewer , questioned the practice of self interest, and she never really answered the question.
She just kept insisting.
I think she was leaving it up to the individual to, understand that, free will comes with a liability clause.

You may have a-- get out of jail card free, however--Sooner or later, hopefully--you’re going to realize that, the jail is your life, and that’s a little more difficult to escape from.

I’m thinking –Governments trying to control social economics may be akin to a variety of religions.

I think the government should keep its hands out of our pockets, and our pants….

Thanks for the shrug—
 CMonster
Msg: 177
view profile
History
Atlas Shrugged - The Movie (Part 1)
Posted: 4/21/2011 4:55:53 PM
You may have a-- get out of jail card free, however--Sooner or later, hopefully--you’re going to realize that, the jail is your life, and that’s a little more difficult to escape from.

If only people took the time to realize that the door is unlocked and there's a little sign that says "Pull" instead of "Push."

Just sayin'...
 Paul K
Msg: 178
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2011 5:48:14 PM
Hey Page

You wrote:
"I think she was leaving it up to the individual to, understand that, free will comes with a liability clause."

BING-EFFING-OH....... You hit it on the head....... FREEDOM is not free, it comes with responsibilities. Freedom also means that you can FAIL, that with the freedom to achieve, there is also the freedom to fail............. with no one there to catch you. As far as Rand not answering their innane questions, she did answer them, they just didn't like the answer, so like typical trained robots, kept repeating the questions, hoping that she would finally give them the answer they wanted.

Socially, I see her bottom line of self interest as the ultimate reward for society, because if you have 80% of the population succeeding, it is no problem to drag the rest with them...... Today we barely have 50% producing, and the rest are on the wagon for the ride..................

You do mean "Friedman"?

Paul K
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 179
Posted: 4/21/2011 6:01:10 PM

there is also the freedom to fail.............

Boy howdy! Do I know THAT! I was on track to retire this year...pushed too hard, make some stupid mistakes and lost it ALL...now instead of 8 houses and not asking what things cost, I'm living in a studio apartment living paycheck to paycheck working seven nights per week and some days too...trying to start over!

I could blame the economy or society but the signs were there...I just got c@cky! ...and I'M paying the price...but I'm confident that I'll come back even stronger...but as I get older the comebacks get harder...

When I'm on top again I'm sure it won't be because I persevered and busted my butt...it'll be because I took advantage of someone or that because I'm a white male or some BS...yes, I've heard that one many times before...despite growing up in poor neighborhoods to a single mother sometimes on welfare...and no college.
 CMonster
Msg: 180
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2011 3:25:32 PM
Here's an interesting letter written by the economist Ludwig von Mises to Ayn Rand shortly after the publication of Atlas Shrugged.

Dear Mrs. Rand:

I am not a professional critic and I feel no call to judge the merits of a novel. So I do not want to detain you with the information that I enjoyed very much reading Atlas Shrugged and that I am full of admiration for your masterful construction of the plot.
But Atlas Shrugged is not merely a novel. It is also (or may I say: first of all) a cogent analysis of the evils that plague our society, a substantiated rejection of the ideology of our self-styled "intellectuals" and a pitiless unmasking of the insincerity of the policies adopted by governments and political parties. It is a devastating exposure of the "moral cannibals," the "gigolos of science" and of the "academic prattle" of the makers of the "anti-industrial revolution." You have the courage to tell the masses what no politician told them: you are inferior and all the improvements in your conditions which you simply take for granted you owe to the efforts of men who are better than you.
If this be arrogance, as some of your critics observed, it still is the truth that had to be said in this age of the Welfare State.
I warmly congratulate you and I looking forward with great expectations to your future work.

Sincerely,
Ludwig von Mises

Beware of the prattle of academics, the moral cannibals and the gigolos of science.
 Page 2u
Msg: 181
Posted: 4/22/2011 5:09:40 PM
Paul K

You do mean "Friedman"?

Ya-- I meant Friedman,, sorry..
But you gotta admit Freeman –Kinda works !! smile.
 nelsoncohen
Msg: 182
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2011 11:45:43 AM
Hey paul k,

ya, the movie!
 CMonster
Msg: 183
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2011 9:25:38 PM
So have we come to a conclusion about what the highly educated should morally do for society or what they should be privileged to gain because of their level of knowledge?
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 184
Posted: 4/28/2011 12:03:37 AM
^^^^^ I learned early the best way to defeat an opponent was to use their own weapons on them!
 CMonster
Msg: 185
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2011 3:36:08 PM
^^^^^^^^^^
You'd think that they'd realize that they started off pointing the weapon at themselves. Gives a new meaning to "survival of the fittest."
 BalderDog2
Msg: 186
Posted: 4/28/2011 5:48:48 PM
Like the book, I think people just got bored with this thread.
 CMonster
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2011 10:14:33 PM
Yeah, some people seem to only enjoy emotional drama. Philosophical themes seem to just go over their heads. No wonder they get bored.
 Paul K
Msg: 188
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2011 4:27:16 PM
"Atlas Shrugged" is still showing......... I am going to see it again, and see what type of impression I have after seeing it for the second time.................

You are right, most people look for an emontional kick, instead of a mental challenge. Sad, really.

Paul K
 BalderDog2
Msg: 189
Posted: 4/30/2011 6:50:07 PM

No wonder they get bored.

They get bored because after a while, the discussion becomes pointless. I check on this thread every once in a while to see if something new--meaning a new point of view--has been added. Nothing yet...just the same old same old. Yawn.
 nelsoncohen
Msg: 190
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2011 7:42:27 PM
Hey paul k,

I look forward to your analysis.

Regards -- Nelson
 CMonster
Msg: 191
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2011 10:44:40 PM
They get bored because after a while, the discussion becomes pointless. I check on this thread every once in a while to see if something new--meaning a new point of view--has been added. Nothing yet...just the same old same old. Yawn.

That's because it seems that whenever brings up something which moves them emotionally and irrationally blames it on something that they don't truly understand, people can point inaccuracies in their beliefs. Besides that, they're asked rational questions which challenges their beliefs. Perhaps they see that using emotion to debate facts is pointless.

So, what's stopping you from contributing something interesting , what's stopping you? Do you have anything interesting to add besides just a "yawn?"
 Jan Sobieski
Msg: 192
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2011 8:32:42 PM
Philosophical themes seem to just go over their heads.

Well quite. Much like Rand herself in fact, however she did at least provided a fair amount of entertainment. Her work has given myself, and many others I'm sure, a fantastic amount of laughter over the years.

I'm also sure the film is positively awful.
 CMonster
Msg: 193
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2011 9:34:12 PM

Her work has given myself, and many others I'm sure, a fantastic amount of laughter over the years.

For example???
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 194
Posted: 5/1/2011 9:38:48 PM

I'm also sure the film is positively awful.

Well, you can form your own opinion by seeing it it do the liberal thing and regurgitate the opinions of others as your own...
 CMonster
Msg: 195
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2011 6:34:44 PM
I'm still waiting to come across someone with an opposing view who had actually completed the book and could discuss/debate its nuances instead of creating more regurgitated verbiage or orthogonal situation. That would be an interesting discussion.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 196
Posted: 5/3/2011 6:54:31 PM
I'm reading it now...
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 197
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2011 8:57:54 PM
"do the liberal thing and regurgitate the opinions of others as your own..."

As is well documented, conservatives NEVER quote each other and pretend to believe the same thing.
 Jan Sobieski
Msg: 198
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2011 9:48:48 PM
For example???

Where do I begin? Well, there is of course the fantastic insights she makes regarding great thinkers such as Kant and Nietzsch: these of course being that she had absolutely no idea what they are talking about. However I would have to say that my favourite example Rand's simple minded vulgarity is her insistence that a meaningless tautology can actually form the basis of a meaningful metaphysics (she claimed herself that her entire 'philosophy' rested on just such a metaphysical foundation).

Rand and her acolytes are nothing more than dogmatists and gluttons who do not wish to be regarded as such. It would be far more noble to display a bearing that acknowledged this state, but then again nobility is about as far removed from Rand as her philosophy is from being worthy of serious study.
 Jan Sobieski
Msg: 199
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2011 9:57:05 PM

Well, you can form your own opinion by seeing it it do the liberal thing and regurgitate the opinions of others as your own...

I really don't know what point, if any, you are trying to make here. Are you suggesting that anyone who does not find the film/book to be brilliant are merely regurgitating the opinions of others? No, I have not read Atlas Shrugged, nor seen the film. I am however quite familiar with Rand's non-fictional work, and it is rubbish.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 200
Posted: 5/3/2011 10:00:48 PM
^^^^^My point? My point is you're commenting about a movie you have not seen...or at least commenting about the MOVIE is what SHOULD be happening here since that's the topic!
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Atlas Shrugged - The Movie (Part 1)