Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Who was the first Rap Artist?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Who was the first Rap Artist?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I agree with Brian, I'd say it was Gil Scott Heron (who recently passed away).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y7lMFEAyI4&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OET8SVAGELA
 CatManDo1959
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Who was the first Rap Artist?
Posted: 5/31/2011 11:07:44 PM

There was the "Desiderata" in the sixties that had an arrangement like many hip hop songs with some spoken and some sung. Nice message too!! Not saying it was the first but just that "rap" is nothin new.

Much as I like that song you mentioned:
"...You are a fluke
Of the universe.
You have no right to be here.
And whether you can hear it or not
The universe is laughing behind your back..."
(okay, it's the National Lampoon's version)
And Hot Rod Lincoln touches some of the bases, I'm thinking it should be minimalist, voice and rhythm/beat. I thought of Grandmaster Flash's The Message but that was '82. Blondie was '79 but I'm sure...okay, I cheated and googled it. One has Rappers Delight by the Sugar hill Gang. Another refers to the Swede Evert Taube in the 20's(!) with Kinesiska Muren. Listened to it on youtube. Yeah, I'm giving it to this guy. It fits my definitions.
 vivien123
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2011 11:15:18 AM
yeah agree with the gil scott heron, but didnt he start out with the black panthers??
 Ska_Voovie
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2011 2:31:06 PM
Re - Gil Scott Heron , I was reading an orbit for him the other day , apparently he got his inspiration from watching the Last Poets live gigs in the late 60s ....
one of their less 'contraversial' tunes ------ Birds Word

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf_cLN0q36I

which links with GSH's , Lady Day & John Coltrane [one of my favs , and the first I ever heard by him ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UprRB_-8yBY
 R_O_U_S
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/28/2012 8:42:21 AM
The word Rap was a form of poetry used in the in the 60 and maybe before, a way of putting poetry to music about civil stife and stuggle of black african people maybe even as early as the beat neck generation set beat poetry to jazzy sounds. When it became pollitical like community movement of compton post world war II, it was forced down by the american government predominatly and im pretty sure white as being a threat to the government. In a modern reference you could compare it to the disedent watching watchdog software islamic use to silence voices on facebook in islamic countries. the thought that a single voice and its tipping point brought to the end of Rap poetry, Later rising up in big city ghetto struggles....as far as I know, anyway.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2012 6:27:34 PM
I'm not a huge rap fan, but most of the links posted are not rap... they're just people talking in songs rather than singing.

If those are all rap then so is this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnKCcjP8Qs&ob=av3e

Hell, if all you have to do is talk over music then I could argue that I invented it when I got distracted and started talking to my neighbor during song time in kindergarten. That was maybe '82... so not as early as some of the claims but I thing as valid
 usernonymous
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2012 7:50:38 PM
I think we should separate the difference between RAP as a genre and the genre's that influenced RAP, such as Beatnik Jazz, Funk, Scat and even Blues. If you want to go all the way back, the first RAP songs (defined as "rhythmic and rhyming speech that is chanted") it probably goes to Griot Praise Singers from Africa who used speech and music to tell their tribes history throughout the centuries.

And if you wanted to be more specific, it shouldn't be the first Rap artist (which is too generic), but the first Hip Hop Artist.

Hip Hop is much more defined of the modern genre. It includes not only rapping, but DJ'ing, scratching, beatboxing and sampling as elements that make up a hip hop song.

Hip hop was first coined by Keith Cowboy of Grandmaster Flash.

It is believed that Cowboy created the term while teasing a friend who had just joined the U.S. Army, by scat singing the words(improvised vocal jazz) "hip/hop/hip/hop" in a way that mimicked the rhythmic cadence of soldiers marching.

The first group to coin the genre was the group Afrika Bambataa in the late 1970's.
 piscesan
Msg: 33
Posted: 2/1/2012 5:10:52 PM
How ever the 4/4 beat came from Africa so the first Rap is about thousand years old. And the first rap artist was the "griot" which means storyteller. They told stories thru music so the first "Rap Artist" is like centuries old.
 PatrickKriese
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2012 2:27:14 PM
"The Alpha Male Of Soul"

maybe.
 boninibaby
Msg: 35
Posted: 2/10/2012 11:07:02 PM
rap means............. rythym and poetry

I am sure its been around forever.....just the urban culture brought it big
 MachineIII
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/12/2012 5:25:00 PM

Much as I like that song you mentioned:
"...You are a fluke
Of the universe.
You have no right to be here.
And whether you can hear it or not
The universe is laughing behind your back..."

Very nice.. i remember hearing this back when Dr Demento was on. Ever since then, the full lyrics grace my office wall :)
 daspecimen
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2012 11:37:48 AM
the general consensus is that it was Kool Herc who infact was the first/originator of hip hop
 ProcolHarem
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 6:31:03 AM
First time I ever heard "Rap" it was a song recorded in 1981 by the Waitresses called "Christmas Wrapping"
I still love that song.
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 7:34:43 AM
'Rap' is not music. The question is pointless.

'Rap artist' is a fine example of pairing words which should never be used together.
 thecoldvein
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/14/2012 10:55:01 AM
DJ Afrika Bambaataa. Easily..
 Kohmelo
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 4:43:16 PM

DJ Afrika Bambaataa. Easily..

I read in an article somewhere that Bambaataa credits it to Kool Herc
 orionseal
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2012 6:27:38 PM
Your question is a bit difficult to answer so I will assume you are asking for the orragin of the art form called "STREET POETRY" It was a popular form used for quite a long time to get people to listen to issues the "POET" wanted to get across to his/her "audience" It was set to a 4/4 time with rhyming words to keep people interested in the subject being discussed. These sessions/performances were followed by a question and answer period where the audience was encouraged to put their two cents into the conversation as long as they didn't stray from the actual subject put forth by the speaker/poet.
NOW, to answer your question as to when it originated.
The man creditied as one of the earliest MASTERS of street poetry was none other than the Greak Philosifer Socrates. A large number of his pears also used this form of "entertainment" to relay important issues of the day to their constituants.
Yes, Street Poetry is as old as Democracy is.
And I will venture a guess that most people who listen to RAP don't have a clue as to it's beginnings as a political tool.
 aug85
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2012 11:20:59 PM
Look up a man named Kool Herc. He was the originator of rap/hiphop. He was the first DJ to put words over "breaks". Granted they werent lyrics but rap was in its early stages and hadn't evolved into that. He was the DJ and if you want to consider him an emcee, its not in the form of a lyricist, but an MC (Microphone Controller). As far as the first "rapper", im under the impression that Afrika Bambaataa was the first "rapper".
 shamrocktats
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2012 7:59:22 PM
the revolution will not be televized
 LuvADKs
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2012 8:22:41 PM
I'm thinking it was Ray Charles.

crguy43
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 10:14:35 AM
when I taught at a 90% black school, I used to joke with my kids about this--check it out--it's true! The first rapper was a white woman, lol...
 suiyoobi
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 4:36:11 AM
I'd like to throw in Napoleon XIV with "They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha-Ha" 1965
 Drestin.Red
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2012 9:49:30 AM
All the stories about the origin of Rap are really interesting, not sure which is correct, maybe all of them,. Here’s my version & I’m sticking with it.

While at a family gathering one of the teens put on a Rap CD. My almost 90 year old Great Great Aunt stood up & said, “well they got the beat right, but not the words”, then she started bustin a rhyme in part French part English, in between making her own beat with whatever was available, the slats on a chair, her mouth, smacking her hand on her knee. She “rapped” mostly in French with a few English words thrown in.

Those of us that could understand French knew the song was filled with sexual innuendos about cheating women & their body parts. We were mesmerized & shocked. When she finished we asked where in the world did she learn to Rap.

She grew up on a plantation deep in the South & the field hands would get together & throw a “hoe down” in the barn. Each one would take a turn telling their story while the rest would use whatever was available to create a beat. (A hoe down is when the work is done they put “down” their shovels, rakes, “hoes” & party, thus a hoe down.)

The French Canadians first came to Louisiana & brought this type of music with them which they called LeLa. Then when the African slaves were brought in they mixed with the French, (Creole) then later with the Spanish & blended the music together, Cajun, Swamp Blues, Zydeco. All had a 4/4 beat while someone told a story about their life, usually their sex life.

When the South let the Black slaves fight during the Civil War they brought their Swamp Blues with them. That’s where the Joe D. Got Your Woman songs came from. During the war a white Northerner heard the Joe D. songs the Southern slaves were singing, changed it to Jody & claimed them as his.

At one time the slaves did not have a last name, just an initial, Joe D. When you hear the Jody military cadences you know they originated from the old Southern Swamp Blues & you know they must have been stolen by a Northerner because a Southerner would never allow their son to be named a sissy name like Jody. lol

Just like the Rap music of today these old songs were about sex & belittling women.

I don't know but I been told
Northern ****'s mighty cold

If I die on the Northern front,
Box me up with a Southern****

I got a gal who ain’t too purdy
But she gets down & does it dirty.

Ain’t no sense in goin home
JoeD. got your woman & gone.
Sound off..1-2, 3-4
 Ska_Voovie
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2012 10:31:32 AM
Thanks Drestin.Red , very interesting read .

Re - Jody , I know friends and myself over here in the UK have been mildy bemused by the use of Jody as a male name [ as in Johnny Taylor's record , Jody got your girl and gone] , and just put it down to 'one of them odd americanisms' lol ....

your Great Great Aunts reminicenses probably help show how deeply ingrained [?] the African Griot tradition was back then , I'm guessing - but the farm hands would have been several generations away from original African slaves ?

thanks again

Brian
UK
 thecoldvein
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/18/2012 6:16:15 PM
kool herc/afrika bambaatta. the end.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Who was the first Rap Artist?