Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Tooting your own horn...confidence or insecurity?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Tooting your own horn...confidence or insecurity?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Lots of people with money make sure that everyone knows they have money, although they may be more subtle in how they go about it.

Subtlety can be subjective. Sure, there are the obvious egomaniacs out there, such as Donald Trump. I'm speaking more in terms of the single average Joe or Jane that one encounters in the dating world---which includes dating sites.

Another poster in msg. 2 suggested that bragging was done as a defense mechanism or out of self-centeredness. I agree with his assessment, however, I believe that self-centeredness is a sign of insecurity. In my experience, the more successful self-confident people were not self-centered, and didn't brag about their accomplishments.

I did encounter a few braggarts who appeared to be financially successful, but they seemed to be insecure about their age or appearance.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Tooting your own horn...confidence or insecurity?
Posted: 6/15/2011 1:32:47 PM
In my experience, people who talk alot cant back it up. There have only been a few exceptions I have seen with my own two eyes.

Nowadays when people brag I turn my attention elsewhere...I have found the classiest of people dont feel the need to refer to themselves as classy. Nice people dont feel the need to proclaim it all the time. The old saying that quiet waters run deeper is pretty much true for me.

Some of the most charitable, giving people would never let you know verbally that they did something. They know the important people (the ones recieving the help) thanked them, and that was enough for them. Thats my kinda people.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/15/2011 2:08:33 PM
Everyone is different and stereo types are just that, stereo types.

No one can say that Tooting your own horn is a sign of confidence or insecurity any more than you can say it is not a sign.

If you took a million people and tested them to prove if they where confident or insecure based on how they come across all you would get is a greater % falling into a certain segment and would learn that there are all types and possibilities.

So the only thing you can conclude is there is no way to know until you get to know them.
 Brandie60
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2011 2:33:05 PM
^^^I agree! Furthermore, as mentioned in the OPs first sentence, dating is competitive so nothing wrong with a little tooting your own horn to stand out from the competition.

I always look at the person's intention. The guy who brags about things that he does not have in an attempt to win you over, generally has a totally different motivation from the one who is financially secure and brags about it.

Brandie
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/16/2011 6:06:34 AM

stereo types.

^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm the stereo type..Got some Santana or Beach Boys handy?

Amazing how the OP managed to try to impose so many erroneous stereotypes with one post LOL

^^^^^^^^^^^

Amazing how many stereotypical nerves she hit.

It's JUST a topic, probably prompted by her friends experience with a man pulling out a freaking bank statement on a date and some of the profiles online she has seen and discussions with other women who date/meet online..

As far as those who "fudge" (why you didn't just call them out for the liars and frauds they are, I don't kow)

You give up after a while because they get very NASTY.

Just look in profile reviews sometimes when you question someones education level, age..profession ect.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2011 7:31:11 AM

stereo types.

^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm the stereo type..Got some Santana or Beach Boys handy?

Same here. And there are different stereo types. Upstairs in my bedroom, I have the type that's a shelf unit with a CD player and Ipod dock, but the stereo system in my boyfriend's car has a multi-CD changer and four Cadence speakers with huge subwoofers.

As far as those who "fudge" (why you didn't just call them out for the liars and frauds they are, I don't kow

Oh, but I did. In a despicably mean way.
Posted: 6/16/2011 11:08:47 AM
Isn't it about being noticed more?

Example... I know someone who seems to constantly tell people that she has a masters degree.

The trouble is whenever speaking to her it is not evident that she is at that level of proficiency.

I have also known people that i never had to be told about any degree's and she never said anything. Just in normal conversation as well as the topics discussed and the way things were said was enough to know that they knew what they were talking about.

later on in our conversations the topic did come up but not in a bragging way.

Maybe it is intent and/or how you are attempting to utilize the information.

how many people here can HONESTLY say that certain things people general brag about are not things that will help get to know someone?

A person sharing their income level right at the beginning however could be a bragger. Seriously though, who here can honestly say that knowing this information is not a requirement in order to form any type of relationship?

The difference would be once person wears it on their forehead because they think it is something important utilized in attraction of the one they are seeking. Another person may also realize it is important but is smart enough to not have to scream it from the rooftops and educated enough to know things of these nature are generally able to be deduced just through normal getting to know you interactions.

Like the OP listed. A guy who was a laborer got excited enough after receiving a big paycheck to brag about it, whereas someone that is used to getting those types of paychecks would not see it as something to cause excitement enough to warrant a need to find someone to share that information with.

Braggers tend to brag about something that is not the norm for them thus they feel proud and/or boastful

It is like looking at a job description (meaning the many profiles) and seeing a list of qualifications that are required in order to apply (the many things similar as focal points in the majority of profiles) and then trying to make sure you fit in by listing that thing in your own profile.

The OP's profile lists the requirement for her suitor to be financially stable so maybe the boaster was trying to find a way to introduce his version of perceived financial stability into the conversation.

Interesting thought but maybe in some situations boasting has less to do with lack of character and more to do with in-effective communication skills.

As for that comb over and fanny pack wearer standing in front of a helicopter comment....

Hey you never know, it might have been his helicopter. If he was the type that likely would not get many dates then he might just have enough excess money available to purchase toys like that.

You don't think someone unattractive could have a high paying job?

I know quite a few nerdy type guys raking in 10k+ a month with no woman in their lives due to being shy and instead they spend their money on material things like sports cars, aircraft, yachts, computer gadgets and many other things in an attempt to bring some happiness to their lives.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/16/2011 2:25:22 PM

I know someone who seems to constantly tell people that she has a masters degree.

OMG I know her too!!

She uses it to work a cash register for 7.50 an hour 3 days a week at a florist, but HAS to mention it all the time.
She is amazing if you need a resume done or are writing a business letter/ad..Very anal about punctuation and spelling. Handy to know.

Another gal I worked with for about 2 years kept on about her university years and how much her education cost her parents..Close to 100 grand.
BLAH BLAH BLAH..

One day I finally just blurted out after all those eye rolls..It must really chap your azz that I make more than you do and have seniority.
The first gal had to remind everyone because she could not get a job in her "field" due to personality clashes with people and the other had some of the same issues.

Not all that likeable and presentable to either sex . Just odd azz people with unappealing personalities and always faulting others..
I don't think either ever worked in a field or with the same company more than a few short years.

After my mom got older and not quite herself in her late 70s, she would brag..All I could do was roll my eyes.."Your son has a name mother..It's not doctor"

"My son the doctaaaaaa" UGH!! How embarrassing.

You call me by my name mom , not" my daughter the service manager ." or my daughter the teacher..( sister)
If she had heard someone do that when she was younger she would have rolled her eyes also.

I really think it was because SHE was no longer a business owner and financially able to do things she enjoyed in her 40s 50s and 60s and didn't feel important on her own anymore.
The big house was now a small condo and the new cars were now old cars.

Insecurity.

Frankly most of us have insecurities..I just don't have that much to brag about.

Not even my stereo type..Its a freaking wal mart special..

Brandie60
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2011 2:40:12 PM
^^^ I think your mom had a right to toot her own horn, sounds like she did a great job with her kids and they all turned out well. Careful tho' some may think that you are bragging about your family!

Brandie
 PrunellaJones
Msg: 35
Posted: 6/19/2011 4:47:30 AM

I've observed that the people who are least apt to show off are often the most successful and self-confident---thus, they don't feel compelled to boast about their wealth or other good qualities to gain approval of the opposite sex. A friend of mine actually had an experience on POF with a man that brought his bank statements with him when he met her for a date. Naturally, she thought he reeked of insecurity and found him totally repellent.
I think it has always been true, and it has nothing to do with online dating or dating in general, but life in general, that people who are truly satisfied with themselves (my definition of successful) do not need to brag or draw attention to it. There is a phrase that a lot of people use to justify bragging: "If you've got it, flaunt it." I've always believed that if you've truly got it, you don't need to flaunt it. 'It' being qualities of the mind, personality or body as well as accomplishments or possessions.
 KittenCatt
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/19/2011 1:21:02 PM

Another gal I worked with for about 2 years kept on about her university years and how much her education cost her parents..Close to 100 grand.
BLAH BLAH BLAH..

One day I finally just blurted out after all those eye rolls..It must really chap your azz that I make more than you do and have seniority.
The first gal had to remind everyone because she could not get a job in her "field" due to personality clashes with people and the other had some of the same issues.

PP, something about this clicked with me...and it's off topic lol. Wish I could message you but I don't fit in your mail settings. Glad you mentioned this cuz I'm going thru something similar.
 Padawan61
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2011 12:39:23 AM
Well, I would say "tooting your own horn is from confidence" if you were the inventor of the next hotly desired new energy source or cure for some dreaded disease. If that's you ... you have every right to "toot your horn" because you've earned it.

However, "tooting your own horn is from insecurity" when the person constantly brags about their perceived accomplishments to the point of making your eyes roll with each one they spew out. They clinch it by saying "I'm that good". Believe it or not, that was said to me at one time. If they have to say it, chances are they aren't that good in the first place.

I have learnt some key phrases to look for in a person who toot their own horn due to insecurities. That was one of them ... another is "I'm humble" ... immediately after listing off all their non-existent "achievements". They can inflate their credentials all they want but unless others actually see them live those credentials, it's all a smoke-screen for a life of irrelevance. They just want to impress people so they'll be accepted.

A person can get a better sense of whether the horn-tooting is justified by asking some pointed questions. If the horn blower quickly changes the subject, you know they're just bull$shitting you.

Years ago, someone told me they were once enrolled in an IT program and they had written a paper on GPS satellites. Somehow I doubt they wrote any technical paper because they were unable to give specifics on it. Their excuse was that they had forgotten. I think they were trying to impress me because they knew I had some sort of technical background. But come on ... be a bit more creative in your lies ... please.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2011 10:40:56 PM
Like the OP listed. A guy who was a laborer got excited enough after receiving a big paycheck to brag about it, whereas someone that is used to getting those types of paychecks would not see it as something to cause excitement enough to warrant a need to find someone to share that information with.

Braggers tend to brag about something that is not the norm for them thus they feel proud and/or boastful

It is like looking at a job description (meaning the many profiles) and seeing a list of qualifications that are required in order to apply (the many things similar as focal points in the majority of profiles) and then trying to make sure you fit in by listing that thing in your own profile.

The OP's profile lists the requirement for her suitor to be financially stable so maybe the boaster was trying to find a way to introduce his version of perceived financial stability into the conversation.

You brought up some interesting points. I think my profile did have some bearing on this man's need to boast---although he wasn't a suitor. Instead, his bragging about how much money he made in one weekend was more about one-upsmanship.

I believe my profile rubbed him the wrong way---or to use Peppermint Petunia's term, "chapped his azz", because he knew he didn't meet my requirements. This man was not what I'd consider to be financially stable---he had few if any assets, and rented an apartment for around $600 a month.

Interesting thought but maybe in some situations boasting has less to do with lack of character and more to do with in-effective communication skills.

I think lack of character and ineffective communication skills often go hand-in-hand. For instance, a person who is dishonest and is a habitual liar lacks the ability to communicate on an honest level.

This is due to a fear of the possible repercussions of speaking truthfully about his/her lifestyle, or motives behind his/her actions. That fear can be a form of insecurity---and stem from a feeling that others wouldn't like him/her if they really knew more about this individual.
 Dreamer_in_SC
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/23/2011 10:41:57 AM

I believe my profile rubbed him the wrong way---or to use Peppermint Petunia's term, "chapped his azz", because he knew he didn't meet my requirements. This man was not what I'd consider to be financially stable---he had few if any assets, and rented an apartment for around $600 a month.

I never did understand why some peoples profiles bother people. It is not like every single person is meant to be with us. What is prefect fit for some is not for others.

From the sounds of it though it was likely him looking for an upgrade in social status and figured just jumping to a woman already in the class status he was seeking to be in was the best way.

Granted i am one of those who does not really care for those class type of designations.

I just see them more as chosen social interactions and not so much societal classes. I read your profile and it did not give me the impression that you would be looking for the construction labor type of guy.

Why someone like that would even contact you is beyond my understanding. I have noticed a trend with the online dating though. When it comes to dating online it is easy to get caught up in trying to locate the best person we could possibly get.

Kinda like shopping but instead of selecting what fits in within our available budgets people tend to try to overspend and get a declined response for going over limit.

Lets face it most people looking at their relationship currency level would likely get depressed seeing just options that would fit within what they are offering.

I think that is why other sites use things like income levels to form compatible matches. How many can honestly say they would be compatible with someone making 100k a year if they only make 25k a year?

You do not go to the same types of places. You do not buy the same types of items. You do not enjoy the same types of activities or vacations. You do not stay in the same types of residences. Basically put, you have nothing in common.

Failure waiting to happen.

How about this example. You list that it is not your airplane that you are in. I bet you would not mind to be with someone who does own their own aircraft though.

You said the guy you were talking about has very few assets and lives in a rental that is only $600 a month.

By stating things that way though you are implying that you have lots of assets (since it seemed to be an issue that he didn't have many) and also implying that you spend more than $600 a month and that you are an owner and not a renter.

Here is a funny thing though if you read any of the financial reports. That person without many assets and renting instead of owning could and in most cases is more financially stable than someone who owns their own home with a mortgage higher than that homes value. Most renters have positive net worth's while most home owners are now in a negative hole and will be for many years to come.

But see there you saw that as a detriment to that guy while another woman out there may see that as an asset that he has since she would not be inheriting someone else's debt if they were to get married.

Two people in the same situation could very easily work out to be a perfect blending and start their new life together in the positive instead of starting off in a negative financial hole so i would not be so quick to bash on him for positioning himself either intentionally or accidental that may still work out to some benefit to him if he finds a smart lady that is able to see that for what it is.

I think lack of character and ineffective communication skills often go hand-in-hand. For instance, a person who is dishonest and is a habitual liar lacks the ability to communicate on an honest level.

This is due to a fear of the possible repercussions of speaking truthfully about his/her lifestyle, or motives behind his/her actions. That fear can be a form of insecurity---and stem from a feeling that others wouldn't like him/her if they really knew more about this individual.

It is my opinion that that can not always be true. In many cases people that utilize credit cards to buy a new outfit for a date and/or use a credit card to pay for a date that they could not afford otherwise would fit in that same category as you listed.

Is it any less dishonest to use and/or leverage a credit line to momentarily increase your lifestyle to impress someone?

I do not see it as any different. Sadly that describes most Americans. It is so easy these days to fall into that hole and way of life.

I do however see the point you are trying to make which was also one of the reasons i worded my own profile the way that i did. I did so for the purpose of NOT bragging. Maybe it was as a way to brag that i am not bragging...lol

My reasons are simple... I am here for the purpose of locating someone to spend my life with and since that is my end goal i felt it would be counter productive to give the impression that I am something that i am not.

I learned long ago that if your profile is displaying the best foot forward so to speak like in using glamor shots or filled with information that is untrue, then when face to face meetings and time spent together comes into play that means disappointment is an emotion that will set the tone for the possibility in forming the relationship.

Bragging is counter productive to relationship forming (even forms of bragging like insinuations or giving the illusion that you are this,that, or the other thing)

Example... (which i am not bashing your profile) If you had not said that it was not your plane it might give someone the impression that you had your own plane. If they had that thought formed in their mind about you and then met you in person and discovered that it was not your plane then that would cause disappointment in their emotional thought life. That is an instant downer in relationship forming.

Some people use glamor shots. They are designed to be the best you that you could ever be while taking that picture. So using them on a profile is again counter productive because no matter what, what the visually face to face you is never going to measure up to what you are in that photo. Disappointment is the result. As such chances of a relationship being form is not likely. I do not know too many people who actively seek relationships with people who are a disappointment to them.

Basically put, that is what bragging usually results in. Bragging tends to result in some form of disappointment. The bragging is to get the attention and be given the chance for further interactions but in utilizing that tactic all other interactions are negative. (the disappointment looming)

just my thoughts and opinions at least
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2011 6:42:35 PM

I never did understand why some peoples profiles bother people. It is not like every single person is meant to be with us. What is prefect fit for some is not for others.

Dreamer, I agree 100%. You seem familiar. Did you once go by a different username?

From the sounds of it though it was likely him looking for an upgrade in social status and figured just jumping to a woman already in the class status he was seeking to be in was the best way.

Actually, in this particular case, the man made it crystal clear from the start that his sole intention for putting me in his favorites (after making some condescending remarks about my profile and appearance), was to "annoy" me. This obviously made him feel superior---and he enjoyed the attention.

You said the guy you were talking about has very few assets and lives in a rental that is only $600 a month.
By stating things that way though you are implying that you have lots of assets (since it seemed to be an issue that he didn't have many) and also implying that you spend more than $600 a month and that you are an owner and not a renter.

No, I'm not implying that I have lots of assets at all. My issue was mainly
because he went out of his way to boast about how much money he made, and how profitable his business was---yet at the same time, he accused me of misrepresenting myself in my profile.

By and large, most financially secure men, by the time they've reached their late fifties or early sixties, have accumulated some assets---usually property. I have found this to be the rule rather than the exception.

Here is a funny thing though if you read any of the financial reports. That person without many assets and renting instead of owning could and in most cases is more financially stable than someone who owns their own home with a mortgage higher than that homes value. Most renters have positive net worth's while most home owners are now in a negative hole and will be for many years to come.

This hasn't been the case with most of the men I've encountered---probably because I've dated enough men to know what to look for. Most of those that were renting were doing so because they either lost their house to an ex in a divorce, or they never had one to begin with.

One only needs a first and last name as well as a telephone number or e-mail address to uncover a wealth of information about an individual. My current mate owns his home free and clear, and has never bragged about his finances, nor the success of his business.

But see there you saw that as a detriment to that guy while another woman out there may see that as an asset that he has since she would not be inheriting someone else's debt if they were to get married.

The detriment that I saw was the fact that the guy was a bitter, pompous, horse's azz, as well as a braggart. Never mind that he didn't have anything worth bragging about.

Two people in the same situation could very easily work out to be a perfect blending and start their new life together in the positive instead of starting off in a negative financial hole so i would not be so quick to bash on him for positioning himself either intentionally or accidental that may still work out to some benefit to him if he finds a smart lady that is able to see that for what it is.

Bashing on him? What goes around comes around. Certainly, any woman with smarts wouldn't be interested in a braggart. If I can see it, I'm sure other women can, as well.

I do not know too many people who actively seek relationships with people who are a disappointment to them.

I fully agree here---and in turn, those who are a disappointment to many people will find that successful relationships will continue to elude them.

Basically put, that is what bragging usually results in. Bragging tends to result in some form of disappointment. The bragging is to get the attention and be given the chance for further interactions but in utilizing that tactic all other interactions are negative. (the disappointment looming)

I agree with this point, as well. Moreover, there's a big difference between a person putting their best foot forward---and putting it in their mouth. Bragging is the latter.
 PrimeWoman
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2011 4:59:28 AM
beans, beans...the musical fuit.
the more you eat, the more you toot.

The longer and louder the toot, the more full of beans one is.
 forumrun4
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/31/2011 11:02:53 AM
Its pure narssisum....mostly.
And lest i forget to mention the word *ginch*...
 jmark4
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/31/2011 11:35:59 PM
you are totally right.

My parents brought us up to "be all that, but never think you are all that."

I made up a saying at work that I use with my staff; "Confidence without humility is arrogance."

If you have to say you are all that, you yourself know you are not all that.

Being proud of something is great! But acting like you are better than others or just going overboard shows a lot of insecurity because you constantly need to be validated by yourself or others.
 taleswapper51
Msg: 44
Posted: 9/19/2011 4:36:31 PM
Being a former trumpet player, my response to blowing my own horn has been:

"Much as I dislike blowing my own horn, nobody else knows the music!"
 Miss.Bhave
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/6/2012 3:27:26 AM
People who "toot loudly" are the short sighted ones, they want you to think highly of them so that you will either a.sleep with them ( alot of men think all women are gold digging whores) or b. Not be as nervous to give them YOUR money because you assume they are good for it. These are the only two reasons for this i can think of but there are probably more ego related ones.
All your observations are correct and its interesting how long it can take to learn certain life lessons, for me ive always been aware that the more a person brags the less they usually have to brag about. As for why those who you might expect to brag dont, thats because theyre more intelligent, they dont want to be a target, and they want to know you like them for who they are and not their money.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2012 7:16:18 AM
i'm from the Muhammad Ali school of tootin'

it ain't braggin if it's a fact and you can do it.

i know i go on a bit about the girls i've dated but i think i've earned the right to talk.

Anyone who'd base his behavior on a man with a two-digit IQ who cheated on his wives and fathered illegitimate kids has nothing to brag about. He might want to save some of that hot air for blowing up his inflatable doll.

As for why those who you might expect to brag dont, thats because theyre more intelligent, they dont want to be a target, and they want to know you like them for who they are and not their money.

I fully concur. That too, has been my experience with men who don't brag---they tend to be more intelligent, more self-confident, and often earn far more than those that do. My partner never bragged about his net worth or other women he dated to pique my interest---he didn't have to.
 dallasdoer
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2014 3:42:18 PM
You tell her Vlad
In defense of the poor guy who tooted his horn, he got big-lipped blondie to go for it so
who is the fool and what did she really want? Relationship or a new car?
I know guys who gave everything they had and it was never enough. In my case, the women I showed the least attention to seemed to be happiest.
Frankly, if a woman wants you for the way you look, you are a lucky guy. If you have to buy it, it probably isn't worth it.
By the by, is a Sapiophile some kinda hootchie?
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2014 4:50:17 PM
Dated enough men to know what to look for?

So what a man has is more important then who he is?

cotter
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2014 7:15:45 PM

You tell her Vlad
No matter how poor I get from time to time, I don't care about how much or how little a man has. That doesn't keep me warm at night. Besides, I've made it this far taking care of myself, why should that change now?

I don't really pay attention to as to whether or not someone is tooting their own horn. That could be bragging or it could be nervousness. Why would you judge someone on that? Once you get to know someone it all comes out in the wash.

If a person finds that kind of behavior annoying ... click on the "next" button. If you find it amusing ... stick around, it could be a lot of fun.

I can pretty much tell after one conversation with a man whether or not he's confident or insecure. If it isn't apparent after a telephone conversation, then it sure will be after meeting.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2014 7:21:25 PM

You tell her Vlad
In defense of the poor guy who tooted his horn, he got big-lipped blondie to go for it so
who is the fool and what did she really want? Relationship or a new car?

Not sure why you'd feel the need to revive a three-year-old thread, but Vlad turned out to be wrong. Not only am I still with my S/O, but we are now living together. I have the relationship and the car both---there was no need to choose.

Frankly, if a woman wants you for the way you look, you are a lucky guy. If you have to buy it, it probably isn't worth it.
By the by, is a Sapiophile some kinda hootchie?

Nope, "Sapiophile" is a gender-neutral term. Did you buy that rug?

So what a man has is more important then who he is?

I judge a man by his entire package. What he has is a part of who he is.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Tooting your own horn...confidence or insecurity?