Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > On the Existence of God and Other Sundry Matters      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 swamp_dude
Msg: 641
view profile
History
On the Existence of God and Other Sundry MattersPage 29 of 30    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30)
signs of something .... or signs of something specific?

signs of something would be a correct analogy ...
to be specific would be speculatively wrong ... but ...
man does seem to speculate a lot and that goes for science too.

Latest research I have been hearing is that in decision making we rely on emotion much more than we think we do. Its these emotional decisions that make us what we think we are. Take away this emotion as has occurred through accidents or medical treatments and the inventive creativity in life also seems to go along with the ability to socially interact satisfactorily and in general ... fulfillment is gone and life becomes pretty meaningless and looks petty.
These symptoms are what a belief that pure science explains everything seems to be doing [in general] to an awful lot of people and that commitment looks to be speculatively wrong [partly because of the symptoms] to me.
 _alan
Msg: 642
view profile
History
On the Existence of God and Other Sundry Matters
Posted: 11/24/2011 11:06:28 AM

Latest research I have been hearing

Sounds intriguing, do you have any links to this research?

ife becomes pretty meaningless and looks petty

Well, since the debate is still raging on what the meaning of life is (and whether it has any meaning or not) results like this aren't surprising. It could simply mean life doesn't have any specific meaning ( other than try to pass on your genes) and is petty ( though petty is a very ambiguous & subjective term... one person's petty could be another person's raison d'ĂȘtre ).
 Krebby2001
Msg: 643
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2011 11:55:06 AM
Wow! I really like the poetry that ya'll came up with, so I'll add my own:

Twas the night before Thanksgiving
And all through my house,
Not a can of dog food was stirring
Though mine eyes were blurring

So off to the Wally World, with the canines in tow.
And since it's the holidays, they each wore a bow.
Wally World Traffic, inside and out, wall to wall peoples
On cell phones, blocking the isles -- like ants on tall steeples.

Bozos with 100 items in the 10 items line, now ain't that sublime?
Narcissism ablaze, attention-getting at highest .. well it's eating up time.

Back on the road ... a nice evening with friends;
Ya ever notice .... how each year .. times has its trends?

Trends ... cultural behavior laid on top of the natural elements of life. Heck even my dogs know when it's time to go to Wally World, or hiking. It's the brain, you see.
 60to70
Msg: 644
Posted: 11/25/2011 10:33:44 PM
The last time I visited Wally World
my already tired eyes
died! In the blaze of shopper's light.
I honestly stumbled in a daze
visited by a dizzy imbalance
what the hell was the aisle?
I saved 30 cents!!!!!
In a righteous indignation
I marched my dizzy self
out the friggen doors
and into the breath of fresh air
Swearing, swearing, swearing.
Never again.
I will never go back..for
at least...
another year.
(umble, mumble, umble)
them sodden summer sandals.
were cheap
lasted.
still going.

If I ever vote again.
it will certainly (be) after I make...
my own friggen sandals.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 645
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2011 3:52:21 PM
okay, so while I was gone, the Religion forum has been converted to the Creative Mumbling forum.
 _alan
Msg: 646
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2011 10:49:14 AM
the Religion forum has been converted to the Creative Mumbling forum

Creative mumbling is as good a description of religion as any ( though I generally use the term mythology):

"God created the universe"
How?
"Nevr mind that"
How do we know he created the universe?
"It's obvious, something can't just come into existence from nothing."
Who created God?
"God has always existed."
But you just said something can't come into existence from nothing.
"..."
"........."
"mumble mumble mumble....."
 Krebby2001
Msg: 647
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2011 5:09:16 PM
dominus vobiscum
etcum spirituo tuo

let us pray
 _alan
Msg: 648
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2011 9:54:37 PM

let us pray

Typo.

If you're speaking of religious leaders, it's "let us prey". They have to keep their subjects in line with constant brainwashing & unverifiable promises.... otherwise the tithes will dry up.
 ojohnnyz1
Msg: 649
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2011 2:43:06 AM
And until then I had been prostrate on my face trembling and the Lord called me with his own mouth and said to me "come hither Enoch and hear my word", and one of the holy ones came to me and waked me and he made me rise up and approached the door and I bowed my face downwards. God said" fear not Enoch thou righteous man and scribe of righteousness approach hither and hear my voice". .........
 ojohnnyz1
Msg: 650
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2011 2:53:44 AM
The plain truth is obvious, there always was something here and there is no such thing as the statement "in the beginning" .... it imp[lies something was here.... to start the beginning. !!
 _alan
Msg: 651
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2011 12:42:54 AM
re: ojohnnyz1's post

And until then I had been prostrate on my face trembling and the Lord called me with his own mouth and said to me "come hither Enoch and hear my word", and one of the holy ones came to me and waked me and he made me rise up and approached the door and I bowed my face downwards. God said" fear not Enoch thou righteous man and scribe of righteousness approach hither and hear my voice". .........

I assume you'r quoting from the Bible. Here's a quote from a different book:

The man who had grown out of the salty rock was Buri, the first of the gods. Buri was a giant big and handsome. He had a son called Borr, and he got married to Bestla, a Jotun woman. Borr and Bestla had three sons, Odin, Vili and Ve. Odin and his two brothers were bothered by the fact that the Jotuns outnumbered the Aesir. The giant troll was constantly conceiving new Jotuns. The only solution they could see was to kill Ymir. The three brothers waited until Ymir was asleep before they assaulted him. A horrifying battle emerged. Using all their strength they managed to kill Ymir. The blood spouted out with furious force in every direction. Most of the Jotuns drowned in the flood of blood. Only two Jotuns survived, Bergelmir and his wife. The couple found asylum in the land of mist, and saved their lives. All future Jotuns descended from this couple.

Neither quote proves anything, of course.
 Krebby2001
Msg: 652
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2011 11:28:59 AM
I don't like to write like God. It is only because you never do it, though, that the critics think you can't do it.
Ernest Hemingway

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/e/ernest_hemingway_2.html#ixzz1gurm1ju6
 60to70
Msg: 653
Posted: 12/30/2011 6:58:48 PM
God is so beyond most folks that talking, writing, analyzing never hit the mark. Not often.
Happy New Year to all the folks who think that God and Other Sundry Matters...matter. They do.
 60to70
Msg: 654
Posted: 12/30/2011 7:14:37 PM
Did anyone know that parking meters originated in Oklahoma back in the thirties ? And that Albert Einstein tried to construct a refrigerator that did not kill people with its inner workings? (improved) And that the walkie talkie was invented by somebody who did it out of necessity? And the grandest invention of all. ...the photocopier...the original workings HAVE never been altered...ever. Friggen fantastic what has been invented and benefitted mankind. Thanks to Discovery and its marathon of inventors today. And all of these inventions were before the 1940's ...Sorry I missed the rest.
also..the original electric guitar.
the genesis of the lie detector.
the beginning of sound in movies.
Marvelous.
 _alan
Msg: 655
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 2:38:45 PM

nomatter watt alan quotes' ... he never proves anythin

Of course,, the same could be said of anyone who quotes something & claims it proves god ( or gods) exist.

( a lot of what I quote is from the Bible, and you're right, quoting mythology doesn't prove anything... other than how silly and/or contradictory a lot of it is).
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 656
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 3:28:34 PM
I really like the way Neil puts it.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/12/most-astounding-fact-universe-neil-degrasse-tyson_n_1339031.html
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 657
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:49:10 AM
^^^
No idea what language that is, but he appears to be speaking in tongues. Your people are calling you to join them in the fight against reason.
http://www.examiner.com/atheism-in-scranton/westboro-baptist-church-to-attend-reason-rally-with-special-message-for-atheists
 Krebby2001
Msg: 658
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:22:56 AM
I think it textspk. LOL OMG luv 2 c it in places where norm L language shud be used.
 Inicia
Msg: 659
Posted: 3/17/2012 10:58:41 PM
here is an interesting thought I heard we create nothing but concepts.. everything material we make out of that which has already been created, and is in existence for use \we just make it from the conceptual recipe we create... Does this make sense to anyone?
the ingredients are all here and we just create a recipe to mix and match them...to make something from them....WE Create nothing but thoughts or concepts:ideas we garner from the tangible and evidential products of our universe.
 aremeself
Msg: 660
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2012 11:02:08 PM
yup, we just make stuff from stuff, atoms, I guess, that were 'created' at the begining.

I bet we don't even create a single unique thought, we just discover them.

and many are bulls--t!
 lagoda
Msg: 661
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2012 11:59:39 AM

I really like the way Neil puts it.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/12/most-astounding-fact-universe-neil-degrasse-tyson_n_1339031.html

I like it too. There is so much romance in the world, the universe. How one cannot be awed by it is amazing. I thought often, so what if there isn't a life afterward. It is an honor to know what I've been sharing in, beyond the connectivity to abiotic life. To know I'll decompose into a little brown pile of detritus and then blow away in the wind. I'll soar again.

I could go on, but it only gets cornier.

I also like the background song, apropos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB0ordd2nOI Cinematic Orchestra, 'To Build a Home'
 aremeself
Msg: 662
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2012 11:46:56 PM
''I like it too. There is so much romance in the world, the universe. How one cannot be awed by it is amazing. I thought often, so what if there isn't a life afterward. It is an honor to know what I've been sharing in, beyond the connectivity to abiotic life. To know I'll decompose into a little brown pile of detritus and then blow away in the wind. I'll soar again.''

but what or whom to honor?

it would be nice to be conscious when we soar.
 lagoda
Msg: 663
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2012 10:27:04 AM
''I like it too. There is so much romance in the world, the universe. How one cannot be awed by it is amazing. I thought often, so what if there isn't a life afterward. It is an honor to know what I've been sharing in, beyond the connectivity to abiotic life. To know I'll decompose into a little brown pile of detritus and then blow away in the wind. I'll soar again.''

but what or whom to honor?

it would be nice to be conscious when we soar.

-------------------------------------------------------------
"but who or whom to honor?"

Did you watch the video? My post was a response to it. The keywords would be 'it is an honor to know'. I'm feeling the honor.

From what I know of some interpretations of the the Christian god, through the Bible NT, there was enough scripture to indicate that god did not want to be put into a box. That he was unfathomable and therefore, indefinable.

Combine that, and the methodological requirement that science has for the absence of a definition of god, for me then, there's an overwhelming reason not to have a what or whom to honor. There's enough glory in the natural to bask in. Perhaps this is what it's all about.

If someone wants to have a 'who' or a 'what', that's for them to define.
 lagoda
Msg: 664
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2012 1:03:49 PM
I think that Einstein has said something like this but I couldn't find the specific quote so I've paraphrased:

'If not for the annoying habit I've noticed, of chance to assert itself as something more than chance, I'd be content to merely bask in the overwhelming glory of the natural.'

So I guess generally, I could have a reason.
 _alan
Msg: 665
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2012 5:37:57 PM

I think that Einstein has said something like this but I couldn't find the specific quote so I've paraphrased

Not a good idea; if you are going to claim a quote is by someone in particular, you should find the exact quote & not post something kind of close to what the quote you are referring to says.

Here ARE some specific quotes of Einstein's:

I don't try to imagine a personal God; it suffices to stand in awe at the structure of the world, insofar as it
allows our inadequate senses to appreciate it.

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

I have never imputed to Nature a purpose or a goal, or anything that could be understood as anthropomorphic.
What I see in Nature is a magnificent structure that we can comprehend only very imperfectly, and that must fill a thinking person with a feeling of humility. This is a genuinely religious feeling that has nothing to do with
mysticism.

The idea of a personal God is quite alien to me and seems even naive.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > On the Existence of God and Other Sundry Matters