Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > STOP light help      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 21
STOP light help Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Caught Mr welder/fix it at 8 am.

After an hour of frustration/sweating just trying to fit in the car much less get to the switch.
Foot prints everywhere, flea bites from his yard.......OMG

He has used plastic twist ties to hold it attached from the switch to the steering column..so it won't move.
He tried putting a penny in and a corn pad.......

Said may need to tighten from time to time.

I have officially given up. Plastic ties won't hold.

Fuse pulling for the next 2 years I guess.

I'm beat/done/had it.

If I have to drive more than 4 blocks or at night guess I'm out of luck.

Hard to beleive ANYTHING is that difficult.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 22
STOP light help
Posted: 8/30/2011 1:22:56 PM
My dearest friend called a mechanic for me.^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's on him now if it messes up again except maybe for the parts cost.
He undid what the welder guy did..its presently working but more trouble..was lurking.

More serious ..

Had some "interesting car drama" brake related, but not the lights .

If you ever want a laugh and I am over it enough to type all of that crazy stuff that happened....I'll share.

Another thread another day..

Think..cops, firemen..tow truck..dog in the back seat..with yogurt

I appreciate everyone's help so much and each and every suggestion really.

Most of you were dead on many things as there was quite a lot going on there

Many hands in the pot also..Very bad idea.
 PragmaticDoc
Msg: 23
STOP light help
Posted: 8/30/2011 1:38:50 PM
They will have what you need at a junkyard, you may have to remove it yourself but they will have them. If I can find one barrel carbs for a '62 Valiant in Indiana you can find little brackets where ever you are. Junkyards are treasure troves if you have time.
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 24
STOP light help
Posted: 8/30/2011 2:05:18 PM
There is a hot line on the net for damsels in distress or guys like me , if you what the straight scoop in car repair,it is called"Car Talk",check it out if you really want your car fixed the first time around.

They are from NPR & worth their weight in gold in helping folks with car problems. imo
 theforumfiend
Msg: 25
view profile
History
STOP light help
Posted: 8/30/2011 11:56:07 PM
Ah Jim, I think since you told her that she should buy a trans-am that you should just get one for her. The newer and shinier the better. When should our pepps expect delivery?

*Just Jim*
Msg: 26
STOP light help
Posted: 8/31/2011 4:52:43 AM
Yes! your right buggie.
I can see it now,this beautiful red head driving down the road in a red Trans Am, with hair flowing. dayum!

She won't have to worry about any mal functioning brake light lights,cuz she will be stopping all traffic quite nicely.

And for good measure I'll throw in George Clooney to open & close her door.
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 27
STOP light help
Posted: 8/31/2011 8:57:35 AM
PP - You didn't say if your car was a stick or automatic, but if it's an automatic the brake light switch also activates a release in the transmission, which allows you to move the shifter from Park to another selection. This is a safety device on all cars and trucks, BTW.
I'm also a big fan of JB Weld, I have fixed broken dashboards, cracked radiators, door locks, all kinds of things, with that stuff. They also make a "Qwik" version which sets up in 5 minutes, VERY handy to have around.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 28
STOP light help
Posted: 8/31/2011 9:45:07 AM
Its automatic and yes it comes out of park just fine..

Works like a safety neutral switch also..
One of the guys unplugged it that swore the new switch was bad and it wouldnt shift out of park..I had to tell him..OMG.

I wish I could physically do what my mind knows..

Its at least temporarily fixed..re tied by yet another man..

Yes! your right buggie.
I can see it now,this beautiful red head driving down the road in a red Trans Am, with hair flowing. dayum!

Can I have BLUE?????????????
White interior..pleather seats and a Bose stereo?
As long as you're bye iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing..................... LOL

What is this Qwik??? Like a molding fix that hardens? Ok THAT I may get under the dash and just say" Bump my nails and hands" and do it myself.

I still need a reliable person standing behind the car saying on off on off..LOL

This last guy ( cross fingers) has it secure.

You guys are great....Thanks

Jim I expect a parcel soon..

Jazzzy
Msg: 29
STOP light help
Posted: 8/31/2011 9:49:53 AM
I go to a Kwik Lube here and they use a handheld diagnostics tester for mechanical and electrical problems.
As for the twist ties lol can ya say mickey mouse?
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 30
STOP light help
Posted: 8/31/2011 9:52:50 AM
DON'T KNOW IF THIS HELPS<<
but in California we are still required to learn "hand signals" ,
probably doesn't work as good at night, so be careful !!
 MsMuscleChick
Msg: 31
STOP light help
Posted: 8/31/2011 9:55:09 AM
SIGHS.....when I met Peppermints I did not see too many folks using hand signals in South Carolina....well....not the *driving required* ones....LOL

Pepps....I think you should tell the whole story....Firemen, Dogs & Yogurt.....oh my.
 matchlight
Msg: 32
view profile
History
STOP light help
Posted: 8/31/2011 11:19:58 AM
The obvious thing is the brake light switch under the pedal--either the switch itself, or the adjustment of how far the pedal goes down to make contact. Usually you can just look up there and see the thing working. Most of them have a little spring-loaded plunger, like the switches that turn the interior lights on when you open the car doors.

But even if it's not the switch, any decent auto electric shop could test the wiring between the pedal and the brake lights and find the problem pretty fast. And it shouldn't cost much.
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 33
STOP light help
Posted: 8/31/2011 4:50:27 PM

Jim I expect a parcel soon..

Blue it is sweet peeps........& a tape track from the the songs from, "Smokey& the Bandit" in the 8 track! lol

^^^ we're way past that point in the process.

dude,We are sooooo lucky to have her here.........
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > STOP light help