Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Love its 50 mile radius      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wildlifelover1979
Msg: 51
Love its 50 mile radiusPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Living in a rural country area where they are few people doesn't help me. It just seems my town is for senior citizens to move into and retire. Or married people with or without kids to move too! Very few single women. I notice 99.9% of the single people in my town are men. It's like! Where is all the single women at?
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 52
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 10/26/2011 12:04:09 PM
This subject has perplexed me also.

Even if one does not believe in "soulmates", "Mr/Ms. Right", "the One", etc., the odds are that there is/are 1 or 2 people in the world who are more compatible with you than all the others, and there is no guarantee that they live close to you.

Yes, obviously, if the 2 people involved live closer rather than farther away, they can get together in person more often.

However, whenever I see a shorter mileage restriction on a profile, I always interpret that as saying, "I'm willing to settle for the best I can find within X number of miles."
 TheBeastHere
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 10/26/2011 4:22:14 PM
"People who are sensible about love are incapable of it." ~Douglas Yates

This explains why the 50 mile and under, leads only to broken promises.

Conveniently found, conveniently discarded.

If you want something of worth, then I suggest you invest more into it. You only get want you're willing to invest. Invest little, get little.
 LukeT77
Msg: 54
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 10/27/2011 2:21:02 AM

If you want something of worth, then I suggest you invest more into it. You only get want you're willing to invest. Invest little, get little.

This can be true, but on the other hand there's little point in looking to establish a relationship that isn't realistically sustainable either.

It's different if you happen to meet your soulmate and fall in love with them, but they live far away. I can imagine fighting for a relationship like that, but I don't see much sense in actually going looking for a relationship that's going to struggle from the very start.
 JCinVicBC
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 10/27/2011 5:29:17 AM
I found a wonderful woman. Only problem is, we live on opposite sides of the Pacific Ocean. We could make a wonderful couple, maybe, but the chances of us ever even meeting are fairly remote.

Personally, I'm not necessarily going to stick to a 50 mile radius. If she lives 52 miles away, that might still be alright, depending on the direction (living on an island, 50 miles away in many directions would be on the mainland, or in the Pacific Ocean). Well, as long as she doesn't mind driving all that distance on a regular basis so we can get together.

I'd love to live in a place where 50 miles is considered convenient. (Well actually, that's probably a lie.)
 TheBeastHere
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 10/30/2011 6:28:40 PM
It suprises me how many people will do so little for love and so much for work. People move because of jobs, have jobs that require travel, and won't do the same for love. Have become a race where I, is more important than we?
 LukeT77
Msg: 57
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 10/31/2011 4:38:11 AM

It suprises me how many people will do so little for love and so much for work. People move because of jobs, have jobs that require travel, and won't do the same for love. Have become a race where I, is more important than we?

I personally only travel 5 miles each way for work, I'd travel much further afield in the pursuit of love.

I know what you mean though, I would imagine people will travel further for work because it's immediately essential to their survival (in the sense that they must do it to earn money to support themselves), whereas until a relationship develops sufficiently, the 'love' isn't yet there, so people are having to make those sacrifices of time and money in the faith that love will actually blossom as a result.

Once the love is there, I think the priorities shift in favour of the loved one (well, for most people).
 JCinVicBC
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 10/31/2011 5:04:13 AM
I'd love to be rich enough to be able to fly to Thailand twice a week to date her. Don't wanna live there though...for one thing, dunno what kind of financial support they have there for people unable to work due to a disability.
 Walts
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 10/31/2011 5:23:30 AM
I know what I am capable of and one is driving. I can get up in the wee hours of a day, drive 4 hours to a piece of water,spend another 8 -10 hours tossing feathers at fish, and then jump back in my truck for another 4 hour drive home. I surely could find the time to drive an hour each way to meet up with someone of importance to me.

I could, but, I have yet to find that important one. Only thing I would cringe at here in BC is trying to have a relationship with someone on the island while I am here on the mainland. Friggin ferries have driven me crazy since the time I was stuck on the island because of travel arrangements,plane tics,etc. Spent an extra three days there and it was promptly labelled "devils island". I promised myself,never again.
 bottleguy
Msg: 60
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 10/31/2011 1:54:13 PM
Well, I live in WV. If you don't hunt, fish or have the ability to work on a car you aren't considered a man. I do none of the above . . .
 LukeT77
Msg: 61
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 11/1/2011 3:34:29 AM
Well, I live in WV. If you don't hunt, fish or have the ability to work on a car you aren't considered a man. I do none of the above . . .

Being 'a man', is defining yourself by whatever characteristics you see fit and not bowing to any popular social conventions. Truly being 'a man', is to be 'your own man' and to set your own standards for yourself.

Let's face it. The fact that the definition of 'manliness' varies from territory to territory, and from culture to culture illustrates that there is no true 'universal definition'.

Anyone who chooses to judge you less of a man because you don't conform to local social stereotypes is a moron and is in all likelihood unworthy of your friendship, respect or love.

If all the women in your area only go for men with 'manly' practical skills and hobbies, then maybe it's time to identify a new place to live where your own talents and characteristics would be better appreciated?
 TheBeastHere
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 11/1/2011 6:09:14 PM
I agree with what you said, so I'm moving to WV. One should move where they are appreciated.
 newwtothis
Msg: 63
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 11/1/2011 6:43:15 PM
Thats 25 split in half, and it takes two to tango baby....If she wouldnt drive 25 minutes for a meet n greet, and split the trip..She is prolly not worth driving 5 minutes for either..ITS called lazy..
 christyis4real
Msg: 64
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 11/1/2011 7:00:04 PM
If my soulmate was outside the 50 mile radius, then I will probably never meet them. I don't want to spend my time traveling....i want to spend my time with the person I am wanting to spend time with.
 TheBeastHere
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 11/2/2011 8:53:59 PM
I have come to the conclusion that most would rather never find their "soul mate" and date forever, then to have traveled some and never date again.

Sounds logical to me.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 11/2/2011 10:12:15 PM
The word soulmate in itself tends to imply perfect for you. In the case of those who want someone close to home, the word would also imply they are local, so someone outside their zone wouldn't be a soulmate. : )
 TheBeastHere
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 11/7/2011 7:57:18 PM
The term soulmate does not imply perfect to me, since nobody is perfect. I put qoutations on soulmate because this is what some people deem as the person they seek to find. I merely see this person as a needle in a haystack. I'm in search of that person that likes me flaws and all.
 CaptainAlbator
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 11/10/2011 7:58:15 PM
You know the old saying; Location, location, location.

Unfortunately the way this website works, you draw a circle and and that either lands in Southern Mass, or Long Island Sound.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 69
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 11/11/2011 2:50:49 AM
It is never as simple as miles. Depending on the city and what parts 25 miles between points A & B could take as long as a 75 mile trip between points C&D someplace else.

My location works for what matters at the moment. I originally thought online would be a great way to meet women within a day off drive. If things were right and sustainable I could move closer after knowing which area is best to commute from for both my career and personal life.

In reality it seems most are just looking for mythology. A level of perfection attainable only in fantasy and expect to find it right under their nose. Well good luck with that.

I can and have driven a couple hours on the weekend to coast in Orange county and met CA dimes with less than 1/2 the attitude of those I have met online.
 RockabillyPaGirl
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 11/11/2011 4:06:17 AM
For me 35 miles as the crow flies to the closest larger city can take an hour and a half to get to because it is actually 75 miles due to the mountains and the round about way you have to get there.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 71
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 11/11/2011 4:16:58 AM
In LA a crow flying the same path as the road moves a heck of a lot faster than the cars during rush hour.

The drive they often say is "too long" from my place to their area that I would be making on a weekend often takes less time than their "sensible" commuting distance does for them during the week.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 72
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 11/12/2011 12:10:38 PM

So, my question is do you really think your soulmates is within a 50 mike radius of where you live?

First, there's no such thing as a soul mate, literally speaking. There's no pre-destination thing going on, where your "chosen one" is out there. Some people are more openly compatible than others. So one's mileage will vary.

But if you live in the Atlanta area, yes, 50 miles is just fine. People create & grow their matchability with someone.... timing, distance, financial stability situation, etc. is a very key part, if you're talking relationship. Being within an hour of non-rush-hour traffic is more than enough. Long distance relationships for the vast majority don't work, and too-much-distance causes inconvenience like other circumstantial factors can too, which make it less ideal for most.
 CCsMom
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 11/14/2011 6:08:17 PM
Ive been in several long distance relationships, so I agree that love can farther than just around the corner. However LDR's are long, exhausting, and emotionally & financially draining so I dont really want one anymore.
 Lilolme_1979
Msg: 74
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 12/2/2012 12:44:23 PM
Dating someone that's not from where I live is hard. I have 2 kids. I don't want to spend what little time I have alone, to drive for hours. Let's also pay attention to the future of a relationship. For the most part, people are happy where they live, so who moves? My kids are in a great school system. I have an ex to think about. No, he's not MY priority, but he's dad. I couldn't and wouldn't take him out of the picture. I very easily could find, date, and fall for someone 50 or more miles away. But then what? Make them uproot and leave their home, friends, make their commute possibly longer? Or vice versa? Not to mention the purely financial aspect, because gas prices suck!! And tickets (plane, train, or bus) could eat up any and all "date" money....
 liftnw8z2
Msg: 75
Love its 50 mile radius
Posted: 12/2/2012 6:11:27 PM
Part of my lack of desire to drive a long distance is the idea that I can't do it frequently enough to sustain a relationship because of my schedule. As a poster said above, in the right circumstance it's worth fighting for, but it's really hard on something just starting out. I'm watching a friend go through this long-distance thing at the moment, and I can tell it's not what she thinks it is, even though she has the flexibility to go to him on a regular basis (he does not drive to her).

Not to mention I have two big-displacement V8's to feed...that ain't cheap! lol...
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Love its 50 mile radius