Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Strange compliments..      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 logo23x3
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Strange compliments..Page 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
One of the funniest comments came to me in the weirdest way. When my kids were 2 and 10, my now ex and I were at Wal-Mart shopping. I took the kids to the other side of the check out to wait for her to pay. I could see a sour and pissed look go across her face as she finished paying. Naturally I thought "Shit! what did I forget to do now?" She would not speak to me for the first half of the way home. Even though I was asking what was wrong. Then she looked at me and whispered "Do you know what that b&*&#$$(#th at the check out said?" The first think that popped into my head was """WOOWHO!!! It's not me.""" I told her "No! I did not know. What did she say?" She said that it must be nice to have your nephew helping you with your kids while you are shopping. The ex told her that I was not her nephew I was her husband. Now you try to keep a straight face and still be able to steer a van at 110 KM down highway 2. I am lucky to be here telling everyone about it.
Oh! BTW shakti. Carpe and I will be talking about adding you to the guest list.
 _shakti_
Msg: 52
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/5/2011 11:25:11 PM

Now you try to keep a straight face and still be able to steer a van at 110 KM down highway 2. I am lucky to be here telling everyone about it.
Hahahahah!! That's more like a life-threatening compliment, lol..

That reminds me of when I was with my first bf, we had no car so we walked everywhere. Well guys driving by would sometimes honk their horn and crane their neck around to check me out, wink or offer other more lewd gestures. The first couple of times he was miffed, but when it continued to happen he would lose his mind, lol... I can still remember him getting all incensed and chucking rocks once, lol..

Oh! BTW shakti. Carpe and I will be talking about adding you to the guest list.
Too cool!!
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/6/2011 6:17:24 AM

have been told by someone...on POF that I 'must have lost my man card'.

meaning that I think more like a woman in the stereotypes POF posters like to apply .

more emotional, nurturing, etc.

Similarly, I've been told by several unconnected women that I'm an honorary woman. At first I wasn't sure if it was meant to be an insult but it turns out they all intended it as a compliment. Like you, it means they see qualities in me that they don't usually associate with a man. Apparently.
 MikeWM
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/6/2011 6:25:46 AM
Actually, 99 times out of a hundred it means they see you like a girlfriend rather than as a man at all

Plus its sometimes a sublte way of saying "Theres NO way youre ever going to get my gusset all gooey as you lack sex appeal" without being quite so harsh or direct

Honourary woman = Non "man" in a sexual chemistry/attraction sense

Pantomime dame of the friends zone in otherwords

or

Nice but..... as opposed to Nice butt
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 55
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/6/2011 6:43:53 AM
A man complimented my hair in a grocery store--nope, not strange, but when he got around to complimenting the purple tights I was wearing, a bit strange.

One of the strangest compliments that I received (yet very flattering and made me feel good) was from a woman whom I had never seen before--she was dressed like a cowgirl (no six shooters, just the hat and boots). She hugged me and said, "You are beautiful inside and out." I think she had just witnessed my exchange with an elderly man whom I knew. I have never seen her again.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 56
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/6/2011 7:12:50 AM
@_shakti_:

so have you ever been caught uttering these words?

"Up your nose with a rubber hose! "

OR : "Off my case, toilet-face! "

or even: "Love means never having to hear: 'I'm pregnant' ".

honorary "sweat-hog" society.

this person was in a roundabout way saying you were a 'Sweathog'? hmmmmm..

can't call THAT a compliment.

although you are cute I must say in your first photo the curve of your smile reminds me of "The Grinch" (animated version of "the Grinch Stole Christmas")

sorry..hope we can still be POF friends? :)
 cooldog65
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/6/2011 7:46:43 AM
@thebigflick: The Grinch... Now compare the profile picture...Ba ba ba...ba Babarino...! We love you shakti...
 NewYorkbiker
Msg: 58
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/6/2011 7:57:30 AM
Shakti, you might be able to play one of the Gotti's alongside Travolta. Maybe if Gotti Jr. had a twin sister.... LOL
Actually, Travolta was just in the neighborhood having a sitdown with the Gotti's for his upcoming movie.....
 _shakti_
Msg: 59
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/6/2011 8:00:51 AM
How did this become about me? Make the horrible compliments stop!!! lol..

Mike:
Actually, 99 times out of a hundred it means they see you like a girlfriend rather than as a man at all

Plus its sometimes a sublte way of saying "Theres NO way youre ever going to get my gusset all gooey as you lack sex appeal" without being quite so harsh or direct
Well, I can only speak for myself here.. but, I always choose a man who isn't a 'typical male'.

How can you know what it normally means from a woman's perspective? Do you get that comment quite a bit or something?
 meowsaidthetigress
Msg: 60
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/6/2011 8:01:06 AM
"I really wish I was your dog"
 Kariann71
Msg: 61
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/6/2011 8:02:59 AM

You look so young....can I just have your skin and put it on my face?

Yikes... Very creepy compliment

"It puts the lotion in the basket. It does this whenever it's told."
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 62
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/6/2011 11:00:31 AM
Shakti, if it is any consolation, a man once told me that in one of my profile pictures that I looked like John Lennon. When I protested, he said that he meant it as a compliment.
 Fleuron
Msg: 63
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/6/2011 11:34:21 AM
I've been told by several unconnected women that I'm an honorary woman. At first I wasn't sure if it was meant to be an insult but it turns out they all intended it as a compliment.

To me it would mean that you aren’t an a**hole.
 MikeWM
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/6/2011 11:43:08 AM
"Decent guy" or similar seems to pretty much cover not being an arsehole though without any need to flip someones percieved gender in the process
 Fleuron
Msg: 65
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/6/2011 12:01:33 PM
^^^ I think you may be taking that a teeny bit too literally. "Decent guy" just means you don't make her vomit.
 BrockLee74
Msg: 66
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/6/2011 12:12:53 PM
Lately it has been I kinda look like Seth Rogen or Jonah Hill. All is white dudes with brown, curly hair apparently look alike.
 Isis_feline
Msg: 67
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/6/2011 12:59:04 PM
not compliments but very odd first messages where guys were thinking they were being flattering but really just damn rude.....

"Ive always wanted to sh*g a fat girl......................" yeah cause your sure gonna get it now arent you???

and

"I bet you have great t*ts.......fat birds usually have massive t*ts....." delete....block.......NEXT!
 musical_turtle
Msg: 68
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/6/2011 1:14:20 PM
A guy told me not too long ago told me that I had 'cute wrists', because my wrists are small. I was weirded out lol
 Laha Math
Msg: 69
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/6/2011 2:05:16 PM
There was a time when women would say "I like your shirt". I got a that a few times in bars and at dances and so on. There must have been a book on how to meet men which said to start a conversation by complementing them on something they're wearing, for example "I like your shirt". Some women would show they had a bit of imagination by saying "I like your tie" instead of quoting ver batum from the book. I never found out what book it was and never thought to ask. Now I wonder how many other guys got the same compliment. We live in a mass media society.
 cuddlemonster2000
Msg: 70
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/6/2011 7:07:35 PM
When I used to have more time to travel, I had odd experiences with women coming up to me and commenting on how they were jealous of my eyelashes. I never knew what to make of that. So far it's happened on land in 6 countries on 3 continents...and on a cruise ship. lol
 cuddlemonster2000
Msg: 71
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/6/2011 7:37:28 PM

I got told I looked like Kelsey Grammer. Talk about an insult....

I'm listening...
 LabradorOokpik
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/6/2011 8:13:37 PM
There must have been a book on how to meet men which said to start a conversation by complementing them on something they're wearing, for example "I like your shirt".

Could be...but I've complimented men I wasn't interested in on their shirts (if it was a jersey of my favorite hockey team, or a tour shirt of my favorite band, for example) for no other reason than to express that I liked the shirt and to make small talk or break the ice. Some women might use this strategy to flirt, however, and maybe they were doing this with you. I compliment women on their shirts too, if I like them.
 DudeistPriest
Msg: 73
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/7/2011 4:40:36 PM
I once had a woman in a bar come up to me and tell me,"I know you're not gay, because no gay man would ever wear that shirt."

Then she laughed, flashed me her boobs, and bought me a beer.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 74
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/8/2011 5:07:34 AM
You look like George Costanza

if there were ever a celebrity to look like, I would not want it to be him.
Damnit Jerry.
 WinstonDoubtfire
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Strange compliments..
Posted: 10/8/2011 5:24:01 AM
I was told I (when I slick back my hair and wear a dress shirt) look like Chazz Palminteri...

really? I don't see it at all.

Gah, it's better than being called Ronnie Jr. and I've heard that one too.

*fist pump*
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Strange compliments..