Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Why have people became soooo sensitive and emotionally fragile?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mazeyh
Msg: 76
Why have people became soooo sensitive and emotionally fragile?Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
hmm interesting Mike.You look like you're probably (possibly? can't be sure) a ginger headed twat.Now that might not offend you cos after all this time you're bound to be used to being a ginger minger but are you quite sure thats merely observational and descriptive?

If the word black is perfectly acceptable , why is baa baa black sheep not acceptable anymore , why are people not allowed to call a blackboard a blackboard anymore

It's a myth.There may have been one or two woolly minded idiots who got their knickers in a twist and decided that in their nursery it might be nicer to sing rainbow sheep.However even the nursery where it was supposedly first banned it wasn't.Same goes for blackboard , brainstorm and most of the other crap reported over the years.
 MikeWM
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Why have people became soooo sensitive and emotionally fragile?
Posted: 10/21/2011 1:22:49 PM
@msg 85

yes I'm positive

Is the word "gingerheaded" offensive if you say

Your father was gingerheaded wasnt he?"
Arent gingerhaired women super sexy

Course not, if the person didnt infact have ginger hair then it wouldnt be a descriptive word, and might then be seen as also being insulting. But in the construct of that type of sentence the word is a descriptor

But being called a twat however is ALWAYS offensive, not having someone acurately describe your hair colour though, coz thats just silly

Try calling a ginder haird person "ginderhaired" and see if theyre offended, and then try calling them nothing more than a "twat" and see if their response changes and I think you will have that question clearly and concisely answered really, same works with black, asian and loads of other words too strangely enough

Go figure eh?

As for the baa baa black sheep, black board etc etc although they arent government directives nor are they actually enforced they have featured several times as passing references in papers by government funded committees and think tanks including the CRE as "possibly" causing offence, then the media was left to do their thing with it

But at the same time, as nutty as most people of ANY ethnicity would see them, they are infact allowed to happen despite that and are voluntarily applied by schools

Our local council infact banned the use of the term "black bag" from being used too

So it does go to show how silly some people can be, and how many others are just as silly for going along with such nonsense rather than objecting to it where the slightest whisper of the word "racist" is heard

If the word black is perfectly acceptable , why is baa baa black sheep not acceptable anymore , why are people not allowed to call a blackboard a blackboard anymore , and why do people get arrested for racist remarks when they call someone a black twat , why are they not getting arrested for being abusive instead of being racist

Pack mentality, getting ethnic votes, control and the less obvious one,,,,,,,,,keeping jobs

Pack mentality means that a large percentage of people, most probably the majority on topics like this will tend to want to hold the "popular" view on something

And when a particular idea of what is right or wrong comes from the media, government and in this case academia people tend to gravitate towards it

Stick in some legislation that could mean they will face criminal prosecution or being labelled with a nasty word and you tend to get the result you are looking for

Why it would get ethnic votes if you appear to be "sticking up for ethnic minorities" is a bit of a no brainer

The control aspect is more subtle, but the more things you are able to manipulate peoples viewpoint on the easier it becomes to manipulate future outlooks. And over time it can become almost habit for some people to just automatically adopt whatever officially dictated "right on" viewpoint is put into the public domain

The last one, the job thing tends to be overlooked most of the time

When you create entire departments with nice pensions, expense accounts and budgets to tackle a problem what would happen if they said "Hey, we've fixed the problem now. All the laws we needed are in place, and the bad behaviours and habits are going to die out pretty soon as a result"????

They'd be sacked

So finding a never ending procession of things people "might" be offended by and claiming its a big issue keeps them seeming "needed" and therefore extends their employment. And from the governments point of view will also be seen as new things that might also get them ethnic votes so theyre not really likely to look too closely or objectively at it

From an academic perspective it also provides the platform for endless papers, as uni lecturers HAVE to publish so many a year as part of their job description, as well as netting them a LOT of money for sitting on pointless quangos and committees as well creating paid work in advisory capacities etc etc not to mention the limelight it can attract within the scientific community

Another one too of course that I didnt list initially, is that as they need to get more and more extreme or silly to look like they still have a cause to fight this will appeal to ethnic minority extremists who can take advantage of a system that favours them over the majority. Which can often attract those types into positions in this type of organisation which will then polarise it to a more extreme amount past centre

And of course when things like this become silly, even non racist balanced people start to get annoyed by it. Who can then be called racists and be used to justify such departments "need" as well as in severe cases when the angst and resentment explodes being used as an excuse to erode freedoms and rights in response

So its not really that confusing why so many people would have a vested interest in taking a basically sound idea into the realms of ludicrousy
 Nutty_Bat
Msg: 78
Posted: 10/21/2011 1:32:10 PM

It's a myth.There may have been one or two woolly minded idiots who got their knickers in a twist and decided that in their nursery it might be nicer to sing rainbow sheep

So rather than teach children they are black sheep around now the children will be looking for rainbow sheep in the fields lmao
 mazeyh
Msg: 79
Posted: 10/21/2011 2:07:44 PM

Is the word "gingerheaded" offensive if you say

Your father was gingerheaded wasnt he?"
Arent gingerhaired women super sexy

Course not, if the person didnt infact have ginger hair then it wouldnt be a descriptive word, and might then be seen as also being insulting. But in the construct of that type of sentence the word is a descriptor

Of course those example aren't offensive! Intent is the operative word. You're contorting y'self mighty hard there to believe that noone means anything by it.Next time someone calls you a ginger weirdy beard you can re-assure y'self they're merely being descriptive and that they would have been just as likely to call you a mousy haired freak.

As for the baa baa black sheep, black board etc etc although they arent government directives nor are they actually enforced they have featured several times as passing references in papers by government funded committees and think tanks including the CRE as "possibly" causing offence, then the media was left to do their thing with it

What a strange argument that is.You admit they aren't govt directives and they are not enforced, that a few papers have made passing reference to "possible" offence and that it's all down to the media.So basically the media make it up.As I said ....myth.

they are infact allowed to happen despite that and are voluntarily applied by schools

I don't know what experience leads you to believe that this is a common occurrence.I have been in and around schools and other educational /commmunity settings in some capacity or another for over twenty years and although I have come across a few daft examples of angst and woolly thinking taking precedent over good sense it isn't the norm.
 FoxyMoron74
Msg: 80
Posted: 10/21/2011 2:10:09 PM
Ba ba Blacksheep is NOT banned in schools, nursery schools or playgrounds.
That is a complete myth orchestrated by the biggoted folk to attempt to muster a sense of disharmony and discontent towards other ethnic groups.
One of the things i enjoy about being sensitive is that I can rise above the attempts of groups / individuals to incite dislike of all other ethnic groups.
 MikeWM
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2011 2:39:37 PM
Actually its not "just" a myth

It was origionally a directive from the education inspectors department to schools in birmingham, and has also been mentioned by several other government funded organisations

The "myth" is that its still banned, or that it was a national directive to begin with rather than just a regional one but the initial directive was later rescinded after complaints from majoratively black parents

The term "blackboard" has infact remained as a directive though and chalkboard is now used in many schools, as also has the term "black bag" which many councils have replaced with the term "refuse sack" and the old term being used, even by black members of staff can still be grounds for an official warning

Oh yeah, and I am fairly sure that at least a few schools or nurseries adopted the "politically correct" version too of their own accord, but I dont think they were based in the birmingham area

So it IS infact in use at "some" schools, it just wasnt ever banned
 Lusipher
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2011 2:51:46 PM
well it's been a while since a "racism" discussion raised it's head #sigh

Context and intent is the key.

Someone doesn't have to say something racist in order to be racist and in the same vein, someone saying something that someone else might consider to be racist, doesn't mean that the person saying it is prejudiced in that fashion.

Ultimately, I don't really care.

I think some people choose to take offence, at something that obviously ins't offensive.

Some other people are so worried about not causing offence that they will go to ridiculous levels to watch what they see (even though there's obviously no need to)

Other people are racist and don't care who knows ... and others yet, will try and style it out, because they don't want to be seen that way.

Unless it has a seriously negative impact on my life, I just tend to ignore racism ... it's no better/worse than any other form of prejudice.
 mazeyh
Msg: 83
Posted: 10/21/2011 3:31:49 PM

Actually its not "just" a myth

It was origionally a directive from the education inspectors department to schools in birmingham, and has also been mentioned by several other government funded organisations

The "myth" is that its still banned, or that it was a national directive to begin with rather than just a regional one but the initial directive was later rescinded after complaints from majoratively black parents

Dunno where it originated.I thought it was a Hackney nursery.The Birmingham thing came later but was never really put into place.You'll look far and wide on the internet before you'll come across anything other than a very few episodes when it reared its head again over the years.You've obviously discovered that given your inability to provide any examples.It certainly was never mentioned during my teacher training in the early 90s .

At least a few schools or nurseries
is somewhat a different picture to that you initially suggested.

The term "blackboard" has infact remained as a directive though and chalkboard is now used in many schools,

I have no idea if it was ever a directive tho again experience tells me that it was never really a huge issue in many places.Praps you could direct me to the source of information.Most schools these days don't have many blackboards or chalkboards.Whiteboards and especially those scary interactive whiteboards is where it's at.
 avalon_moon
Msg: 84
Posted: 10/21/2011 4:08:06 PM

scary interactive whiteboards

We have those....and believe me they are scary. Tend to use the ordinary whiteboard myself. Don't know many schools that have blackboards anymore.
 MikeWM
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2011 4:22:53 PM

Of course those example aren't offensive! Intent is the operative word. You're contorting y'self mighty hard there to believe that noone means anything by it.

Not sure how much you've drunk to think thats what I was saying, but needless to say its incorrect

The point I WAS however making, is that the key word in that format of a sentence, whether black, gingerheaded, tall or anything else by virtue of the way the sentence works gramatically IS purely a descriptive term for the specific person the term is directed at

The insulting part in those examples is the last word, but as the entire sentence is directed towards an individual its an "insult" to a singular specific person, not their race, or everyone with their hieght or hair colour

And that in those examples non of the descriptive adjectives were on their own "offensieve"

Next time someone calls you a ginger weirdy beard you can re-assure y'self they're merely being descriptive and that they would have been just as likely to call you a mousy haired freak.

Firstly its a different format to the sentences I was using, so its not really even a valid comparison.

And secondly you can try and call me all the names you like in a vieled attempt to get a reaction but you wont as the words of irrelevant strangers really arent any more relevant to me that the person saying them in the grand scheme of things

Dunno where it originated.I thought it was a Hackney nursery.The Birmingham thing came later but was never really put into place.You'll look far and wide on the internet before you'll come across anything other than a very few episodes when it reared its head again over the years.You've obviously discovered that given your inability to provide any examples.It certainly was never mentioned during my teacher training in the early 90s .

I did give examples albeit not via links. and from reading your previous post I dont think you seem to quite understand what a directive is

Theyre usually recommendations given to local authorities from think tanks or special interest groups that are then given to inspectors to "suggest" to schools but without being actively enforced as this method means things can be introduced quickly if popular and allows quick retraction if theyre unpopular and theyre far easier to scapegoat if one ever really blows up in a councils face

The sheep one I cant say I have heard linked to hackney, although that really wouldnt surprise me. But was definitely recommended by birmingham city council school inspectors after a recommendation by some racial awareness council. I think only a couple of schools actually implemented it, or only about two admitted implementing it before the complaints made the council remove the directive

I didnt infact claim it was a "huge" anything, simply that rather than being some media invented myth it was actually just the media reporting what had actually happened albeit most probably with some exageration

Which wasnt a "different picture" I only said it was directive initially which it was, and that it was later rescinded

Also that some schools adopted the altered version of their own accord which they did (oxford I think they might have been in or maybe cambridge)

But basically my point was that it wasnt a myth, but niether was it "banned" if you check back.
 mazeyh
Msg: 86
Posted: 10/21/2011 5:39:58 PM
I am finding it extraordinarily difficult picking my way through your convoluted explanations of the English language.Maybe I'm easily confused.

Suffice to say I don't think there would be all that much confusion as to the intent and sentiment behind the following statements.

black teacher , ginger haired teacher, black police officer, ginger haired police officer, black child, ginger haired child.All statements of fact and neutral.

black sexpot, ginger sexpot, black beauty, ginger beauty.......I'll stop there cos mostly it seems quite difficult to find all that many examples of when black or ginger (or any other physically based adjective come to that) would be placed in front of a compliment.Unless they are talking specifically about the physical attractiveness of an individual people in general don't do it .

black twat, ginger twat, black weirdo, ginger weirdo, black thicko , ginger thicko . all derogatory.

Maybe you can't discern the offensive intent behind adding the adjective to the last set but I'm sure very many people could.

I don't really need to argue the point about the black sheep and the blackboards.You do it quite well for me......" a couple, one or two , suggestions, most probably with some exaggeration."

The Hackney school by the way didn't actually ever ban the baa baa despite wot the sun sed (or was it The Star?) Schools alter a lot of things to add some variation to a theme.Take for example The Wheels on That bloody ol' Bus.Must be a thousand and four variations on that song.All as bad as each other.
 try1more
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2011 7:58:12 PM
i really dont see much point in getting upset at name calling.
if the name fits then "you" look a bit stupid getting mad.
if it doesn't then "they" look a bit stupid.
what am i?
well to you i am whatever "you" think! and there is nothing i can do about that.
you will judge me using your values not mine, thats something we all should learn to accept.
we have all met people that will make some claim that we dont agree with.
by getting upset all you are doing is supplying them with bullets to fire at you!
by letting it go you are spiking their cannon.

if it's been said as a joke then getting offended and shooting back will only escalate things.
if i think something has been said in anger then i'll most likely ignore it.
otherwise if i can think of a good response let the banter commence :-)

as for the racism thing and how ridiculous it can get, check the link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1354370/How-referring-gossip-jungle-drums-led-month-racism-probe.html
 pennyapple
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2011 8:34:40 PM
Check this out.......
a differently abled fish with less fins than another bookie place x
It's just t' PoF forums xx
 pennyapple
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2011 9:00:34 PM
I'm THAT sensitive and fragile x
 mazeyh
Msg: 90
Posted: 10/22/2011 1:58:35 AM
yes I checked back Mike this morning and on the face of it it seems like I was arguing about nothing much and I couldn't quite work out why.

Then I thought about it a bit.You and I posted at the same time in response to hereagains question why was baa baa black sheep banned.You posted and gave her a long ol list of reasons why.You then subsequently went back and edited your post a number of times in the light of my response to her that it wasn't.

A tad irritating but there you go.
 garyzac
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2011 6:48:48 AM

Perhaps you'd like to point out the part of my post which has led you to ask this ridiculous, and clearly confused question...?
Though I suspect you won't be able to...

As usual, I'll be able to produce the relevant comment. You may recall that the OP asked us:

I can't help but noticing in life and on here just how mega peoples egos have became yet they have teeny little fragile sensitive emotions that can't bear any level of rejection or criticism!

What is wrong why are there so many needy fragile people?

So, the topic is those people who have fragile sensitive emotions, regardless of where they display those emotions.

In MSG 73, I referred to those senstive souls who have their racism exposed on dating sites. You quoted that reference in MSG 75, if you recall, and then stated:

Serves them right for constantly whining and bleating on about "immigrants" really, doesn't it....?

The inference being that you suspect people who mention immigration are latent racists.

I then produced part of the Labour Party manifesto of 2010 which clearly refers to placing controls on immigration, and stated that it wasn't racist to discuss such matters.

So that is why I was led to ask you the questions:

Do you consider the Labour Party to be a racist organisation for wanting to control immigration?

Are you accusing all Labour members and voters of ‘racism’ for supporting a racist act?

Asking those questions was a perfectly reasonable thing to do given your question of MSG 75.

So, the answer to your question:

Perhaps you'd like to point out the part of my post which has led you to ask this ridiculous, and clearly confused question...?

is MSG 75.

Nutty_Bat
Msg: 92
Posted: 10/22/2011 8:24:48 AM

Yes, my parents were immigrants, so what...? I'm certainly not ashamed of that. Quite the contrary actually.

Some are and some arent , my dad was an immigrant and im certainly ashamed of him . im ashamed to admit he was my dad, i wished my mother had never met him and i was born to someone else ,
 Emma_Dilemma65
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2011 8:41:01 AM
This thread apparently has lost it's way ... but ... to continue on the current theme ...

if the majority of UK citizens decided to trace their family history they'd discover an immigrant ancestor at some point in their history ... I'm rather excited to discover that one of mine was a Parisian aristocrat who arrived in London as a "dance master" in the 18th century .. ooo la la la !!
 _roxy_
Msg: 94
Posted: 10/22/2011 8:56:44 AM
This thread....quite funny...keep it up you crazy forumites.

Blodeuwedd.......My aunt and myself went a bit back in our family history. As well as the Romane, which I knew, we have Native American (red injun for the racists) and my great great great etc grandmother used to own a brothel.....great stuff. We have still to go further back.
 garyzac
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2011 9:27:37 AM

You have missed the relevant qualifier out of your analysis; you said "on dating sites", not me.

I didn't miss anything, actually.

You asked me:

And I answered:

"MSG 75".

If any mentioning of immigration is 'racist', then surely it matters not where that mention was made, whether on a dating site or in a political party's manifesto.

If you're having difficulty understanding your own post (as happens quite often, I notice) then that isn't my problem.

I trust that clears your confusion.

Yes, my parents were immigrants, so what...? I'm certainly not ashamed of that. Quite the contrary actually.

No-one mentioned your parents, actually.

Oh, and what IS contrary to being ashamed of something? Being proud of it? Well, expect some comments on that, because one poster one here once wrote that they cannot be proud of something over which they had no control.

I do hope that person isn't reading this thread.

RockyPP59
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2011 5:58:43 PM
I think someone should have changed the thread title by now!

Back on topic & in answer to the OP, well, it takes all sorts to make a world! Some of us are robust, some of us aren't - I sometimes wish I could brush things off easily but the fact is that's just my personality and life has been a process of developing coping strategies.

"Sensitive" types aren't going to be everyone's cup of tea just as the "happy go lucky" approach won't always "cut the mustard" - how's that for mixed metaphors!

Basically, if you don't find someone's personality attractive, you don't have to date them and I'm sure you'll avoid them as much as possible so not sure why it's a problem really.
 Lusipher
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2011 6:36:12 PM
@msg 108

Basically, if you don't find someone's personality attractive, you don't have to date them and I'm sure you'll avoid them as much as possible so not sure why it's a problem really.

Wise words hombre.

Whilst some things about some people bother me, I just try my best to avoid people with those kind of traits.

It's like the people who get upset because someone is "shallow" because they don't talk to people they don't find aesthetically pleasing or "rude", because someone chose not to reply to their message.

I don't understand why people would get upset by it, when it's obvious that the person in question just doesn't share the same mentality as they do, so just chalk it up to experience and move on.

The world needs a bit of most of these personality types, and we should just try and pair off with people who've got traits we like and avoid ones, with traits that we dislike.
 bambiisnotsingle
Msg: 98
Posted: 10/27/2011 12:34:03 AM
My friends get protective of me it something i seem to switch on in people ,
I think its my nature because im a cuddle monster i dont no .
Ive two opisit sides to my nature one is extreme and dark the other side gentle .
The extreme dark side with serious attatude comes from being bullied young ,
I hate bullys i hate seeing others belittle others and i dont back of .
Its my strength .
Im no way emotionaly fragile but i will not stand back and watch someone try to strip another down lower there selfworth .
I love the uniqueness of people but people forget how special they are get down and get depressed they forget to just be themselfs .
I got lost couldnt find myself after i lost my father it was like a part of me had gone life had lost its fun and sparkle .
god how bad a place that was .
Noone could help me find me i had to do that myself .
My strong willed nature eventully won and space and tears helped ,
But there are people out there who are fragile life keeps hitting them down .
some kind words and a little empathy can help them .
Just smileing at a stranger can change there entire day .
Emotionaly fragile im not im as strong as an ox but showing someone you care can just help the fragile live a little .. We are on this earth for a good time not a long time
I just so love people and finding out what makes them tick ,
I do just chat to anyone i was in manchester last week sirsuperkev was showing me around sees two police officers there uniforms were not the norm .
I asks kev is that how your policemen dress he said not normaly .
So i went up to them quizzing and said scottish police dont dress like that .
They just laughed but at least i made them smile ....
People can at times in there lifes be emotionally fragile just treat them with some tlc ..

I cannot stand agression some folks cant win with there mouths so resort to violence no need ever
 sprite1950
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2011 12:48:29 AM
I dont know if people have 'become' this way. You either are or you arent, some people are more sensitive than others and surely that's how its been from the beginning of time. Certainly from the beginning of my life. I tend to be a worrier and worry about things that may never happen. I was like it as a child and not much has changed. Other people can let things go over the top of their heads and not become concerned until it actually happens. I would love to be like that.

Im sensitive about issues that are close to my heart and Im sure that must be the same for everyone.
 LukeT77
Msg: 100
Posted: 10/27/2011 1:48:32 AM

I dont know if people have 'become' this way. You either are or you arent, some people are more sensitive than others and surely that's how its been from the beginning of time.

Yeah, this is probably true. Perhaps all this social media and online forums are just bringing us more into contact with each other than we had been previously and made us more aware of each other.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Why have people became soooo sensitive and emotionally fragile?