Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Yes I know that age is just supposed to be a number ...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DrummingNut
Msg: 76
Yes I know that age is just supposed to be a number ...Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
to me!
My number turned to 60 today.

And that's not "just a number".

I worked hard to get here.

I lived and laughed and learned and loved for a long time to get here.

And I've cried and comforted many more times than when the number was 30.

I wear the 60 number badge with pride.. and thankfulness.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Yes I know that age is just supposed to be a number ...
Posted: 12/8/2011 6:01:11 AM
Drumming? You are a hottie for 60 and I hope I look as good as you do which is not that far off! lol...Happy Birthday to you!
 ohenryx
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2011 7:19:18 AM
Happy Birthday!!
 stargazin53
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2011 8:04:16 AM
Looks like you're off to a great start for enjoying your day
With each passing year, I'm amazed at how young we all really are ! Enjoy :)
 Springlve
Msg: 80
Posted: 12/8/2011 6:36:08 PM
hi skgirl1960, manifestations come from desires, if u lack desire to date then thats what u will experience, the unv. agrees with what u think, feel and say. there is nothing wrong with u or ur age its ur thinking. change ur thinking and u change ur life.
 sinistermidget
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2011 12:25:16 AM
Congrats for your attitude! I am same age as you...I consider myself ageless...but I need a younger man..,.My interests do not match with people my age...what man is going to take me to a metel concert at 65 to 70 plus? This is the age bracket they have me matched to. Just recently saw Priest,( and this is their last tour.)..I had to go by myself, as it all functions I want to go to. I am a singer in a metal band, and I intend to do until people don't want to see me anymore. There are no people my age that come to see me. Most are in their 30's ..40's. My philosophy is this: The day you stop learning something, is the day you start dying. Always try to look at things through the eyes of a child. Bein a rockaholic doesn't hurt either.
 daynadaze
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2011 8:30:13 AM
Because age isn't just a number no matter how many people chant that cliche. It's years and we grow older until we die and the older we get the more things that change about us both mentally & physically and it starts going downhill in your twenties. You can do all sorts of things to slow it down as far as showing but you are not going to stop aging as long as you live and at some point it really begins to show. I mean Jane Fonda might look great for her age but she does not and can't look like she's 50 years younger, no one can outside the Twilight Zone.

There's nothing like realizing your own aging than when you realize your kids are getting old. Luckily my kids still look younger than their age, and I did for years too to the point of having to show people my driver's license then all the sudden I look my age and I look bad too boot. But the alternative is to die young so there you go.

I have no idea why but the only age that bothered me was 25, now I'm 60 and while I'm not fond of saggy skin and wrinkles and all, that's what I have and I'm not going to spend much time thinking about it. It does shock me when I look in the mirror but that's life.
 ForumFilly
Msg: 83
Posted: 12/14/2011 9:28:47 AM
OP, I just had to laugh when I read your post. Earlier today a friend was complaining about feeling old because her son turned FIFTEEN today. I said wait til he turns THIRTY and then you'll have something to get upset over. And it's true. There is definitely something about you child turning 30 that is very traumatic... or at least it sure was for me. It was worse than any age I've turned yet. My son is now 42 and I just laugh. I don't know how he got to be older than me but he managed it somehow. Actually, I just turned 61 two weeks ago and I've never been happier or had more to look forward to. This past year was incredible and the coming year will be even better. Enjoy you age, whatever it is. We aren't the same as our parents and grandparents were at our age. I just keep thinking 'Only one more year and I get Social Security! Whoo hoo!!'

And Happy Belated Birthday, DrummingNut!!! I have you beat (pun intended!) by a year!
 David4587
Msg: 84
Posted: 12/14/2011 6:02:44 PM
I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up?
 arts, dining, music, w/u
Msg: 85
Posted: 12/28/2011 11:16:54 AM
A woman I dated for a short time who was then 47 (this was a few years ago). She was always carded whenever we went to a club. ALWAYS. Based on this she could have dated guys that were in their early 20's and nobody would have thought anything of it. Her motto was: It is an insult to your generation to dismiss those who breathed the same air and who drank the same water.

No, she had no work done.
 southernbabe03
Msg: 86
Posted: 12/28/2011 1:25:03 PM
well, I turned 49 today and I love men and sex as much as ever, if not more.
I do not want to be alone. I want a real relationship with true love and sex to go along with it. December 28th, that is today.
 southernbabe03
Msg: 87
Posted: 12/28/2011 1:31:16 PM
Well, Happy Birthday to me!
I turned 49 today and as hard as I worked, I feel it.
I will get some rest tonight and feel better tomorrow!
 idahogalpal
Msg: 88
Posted: 12/30/2011 3:47:42 PM
I started to get a little depressed when I began reading this thread!
There are those that see aging as the glass half empty and there are those that see it as the glass half full. I think (I hope!) I'm the half full kind of person. My son turns 30 two weeks before I turn 60, not until 2013. I've asked him if he'd consider doing the Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon with me. I can't do the run, but I can do the swim. I may come in last, but that isn't the point. The point is I can still find things that challenge me and thrill me. I'm not going to use my age as an excuse!
 TimeEnoughForLove
Msg: 89
Posted: 12/31/2011 7:45:54 AM
Well that damn number does have some associated problems...like I look in the mirror and I'm looking at a stranger (I'm 68). LOL The body changes are not appreciated but what the hell, the alternative is death. And its true that you face questions about your mortality which is not something I thought about 20 years ago. At my age the concept of a long term relationship gets a little iffy...
 arts, dining, music, w/u
Msg: 90
Posted: 1/12/2012 5:19:23 AM
I don't like old people on a rock and roll stage. Me included.
Grace Slick
 WobblyAngelWings4Now
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 9:33:38 AM
My age never bothered me much. In my 40's I guess I looked much younger cuz men just didn't believe me. In my 50's now and no one blinks an eye when I say my age. Major bummer LOL...Thing is, I had planned a big 'poor little old me' party for when I turned 50, but then my boyfriend (turned late husband) was diagnosed with terminal cancer at the age of 44, given 6 months to live. I certainly couldn't whine about turning 50 when he was hoping to make it to 45 (he didn't). So 50 really didn't matter much. Nothing did for awhile. Then..I realized I would be 55 and made the decision I wasn't going to be 50 F***ing 5 and FAT, so I finally joined a gym and have lost 100 pounds since then, AND quit smoking. I looked and felt so much better that # didn't seem to matter as much. Well, 56 stung... now I'm realizing my oldest child will be 35 this March. 35!!!!! Why is that # affecting me more than any other? Maybe because I remember on the day he was born thinking, when he is 20 I will be 41, thinking THAT was old. I don't dwell on it though, can't ...cuz nothing changes the fact we all age. I think everyone has a #. Geez, on the eve of my second son's 6th birthday I walked in his room to find him crying...sobbing... I asked him what was wrong and he should be happy it would be his birthday and he would have a party, etc... and he just cried and said "But Mommy, I don't want to be '6'...I liked being '5'!" OMG!!!! I do remember thinking, wow this kids gonna have a hard time with 30. (He did okay though, was deployed and just kept busy)....All we can do is be thankful we are HERE, in this life, no matter what age. My mom is 81 and looks/acts mid 60's. Hope I inherited some of her genes. LOL ...
 MagicMan8365
Msg: 92
Posted: 1/12/2012 10:42:05 AM
Age does matter in certain circumstances:

Auto Insurance
Health Insurance
Life Insurance
I could probably name others but that is 3 major ones that should be necessity. In dating if you are looking for long term I think over 10 year age span between a couple should be limit but again certain people have a way making it work. I discovered that almost all the old marriages lasted till one their partners died the woman was 5 yrs younger than the man. This how it was for my parents before Mom passed her and Dad been together almost 60yrs. You hear it's 50/50 thing in a relationship that is bs both have to give 100% in order to sustain happy fulfilling life together. Good luck and best wishes to all of you, I am approaching 50 fast....LOL but I am not worrying about it or dwelling on the matter just another chapter in my life!

I think only age that bothered me the most was turning 30 but that was difficult time in my life when turned 40 welcomed and was proud of my age I am definitely more knowledgeable on few more things!
 arts, dining, music, w/u
Msg: 93
Posted: 1/16/2012 5:25:43 AM
Turning 19 was hard because the Alice Cooper song was no longer about the age I was. 40 was hard because that meant I was an old guy to the 20 something's. 60 is approaching and I don't like it. There will be no escaping the fact that I am old.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 94
50 is the new 20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 1/16/2012 6:15:38 AM
OP, I understand...

So you could have went out w/ a bunch of losers, or had a couple live w/ you & yadda yadda yadda...just read all the drama in the forums. But you were smarter than that. You focussed on friends & family. When I start thinking the way you describe, I realize I am in a rut & U do rut-breakers, LOL.

Go on vaca, or get away one night. take a class or find a club or group to join. re-arrange your furniture, paint a room in your house, clean out a closet, join a gym, dye ur hair, get a new haircut...bla bla bla

do one or all of the above.

And depending where u live, it could be winter doldrums...it could be menopause- see ur ob/gyn & try some compounded hormones

sometimes all it takes is ONE CHANGE to change ur life
 arts, dining, music, w/u
Msg: 95
Posted: 1/17/2012 5:44:10 AM
Blonde- The OP stated there were missed opportunities. Not everyone on POF, other dating sites or ITRW are losers. In fact I couldn't help but to notice that you are on POF. Some people actually find a match when they decide to seek a match.
 Ready_Real
Msg: 96
Posted: 1/17/2012 5:56:26 AM
Age is as relevant as a person's willingness to make the most of each and every day s/he is lucky enough to be alive. (Happy Belated Birthday, Drumming. If anyone illustrates my philosophy on age, it's you
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 97
Posted: 1/18/2012 4:00:41 AM
Actually to many it IS a huge mental block.

I guarantee if we knocked off 5-6 years on our profiles It would make a tremendous difference in peoples perception of us..mentally.

No one questions 5-6 years if they think you look GOOD. I have seen people who look GREAT and act younger by up to 10 years..Then you have highly stressed, hard living people that look and feel 65 at 45.

Men ACTUALLY expect it in a lot of cases because MANY I have met knock off 5-12 years claiming its just so" they wont be filtered out". Whatever.

What I hate are the age strokers."Guess how old I am ? I dont think I look my age..in fact I KNOW I don't".zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I just roll my eyes or say of course you dont .

BTW.........Good idea betty
 arts, dining, music, w/u
Msg: 98
Posted: 1/18/2012 8:57:42 AM
You just help admit the main point I am attempting to make in the forums. Too many people (not all or maybe even most) are looking for a what and not a who. People maximum their search criteria even though they would not show up in a maximized search. Wish to meet those most like you not meet those you wish you were most like.
 ToThySelf
Msg: 99
Posted: 1/19/2012 5:08:52 PM
Hey, what happened to my posts on this thead? Oh well ...
This is turning out to be a pity post. If all you can do is whine that the best years and missed opportunities are gone then they will be. There are different opportunities out there but you won't find them by feeling sorry for yourself. An old saying "if you're bored then you're boring" If you didn't have a life outside of your family before then get one now. I even know some people that fake going into the Intimate Encounters because they have no life!
 ToThySelf
Msg: 100
Posted: 1/19/2012 6:28:04 PM
There is something wrong with this thread ... posts keep getting deleted ... anyway this group will make you feel young - they're pretty cool:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_F3CGD6879yQ/SXR9qPTBWQI/AAAAAAAAAEw/-8dWy9OwZME/s320/skank.jpg
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Yes I know that age is just supposed to be a number ...