Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > Looks really are everything....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Scintillating_Angel
Msg: 476
view profile
History
Looks really are everything....Page 20 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
I can't believe this thread is still alive. But what the hell, I will say it again: what's attractive to one may not be attractive to others. And believe this or not, there really is someone for everyone. The guys I date tend not to be celluloid pretty, but they suit me just fine.....

Once my daughter asked me why I was dating this guy RL, because he wasn't very pretty to look at, but ya know? RL treated me like I was Miss America and he made me feel like a princess. So.................

meh, men are the same way on here.

Men - and women - are the same the world over, not just in the on-line community. Mass marketers depend on it.
 Jess...
Msg: 477
OHH MY GOD LOOKS ARE EVERYTHING???
Posted: 8/25/2007 2:55:26 PM
Looks are most definately not everything as for all ugly people mite as well kill themselves i sincerly hope you were joking if you look through this site how many ''goodlooking'' men or women will you find hundreds maybe thousands all looking for what you are theres a reason they are on a dating site if looks are so great why are they single ok so they may get loads of mail is it because that guy thinks ohh theres a pretty girl i think she may be intelligent and well have lots in common and so on EHH NOOO there thinking im gunna get her in2 bed and brag 2 my mates then ill move on2 the next girl there are genuine guys on here that is lookin for that some1 special to settle down with ive chatted with quite a few its just a case of finding them if i dont reply 2 a guy on here its not because of how he looks its because they ave no imagination theyll send summit like hi how are you personally i need more than that summit that really makes him stand out from the rest as cute as that guy may be i wont reply. ok take celebritys britney kerry mc fadden ect if looks were everything wudnt der life b perfect as well as der status and money but it aint ok i know ive over stated my point quite a bit and rambled on so my basic point again only shorter is your looks has nuttin to do with it LACK OF SELF CONFIDENCE is more likely xxx
 ericcartman74
Msg: 478
Looks really are everything....
Posted: 8/29/2007 2:35:13 AM
I hate to say it but I have to agree with lovelessincr. Society perceives me as being very attractive, it's how I make my living, met friends, pretty much evolved my life. It begins as soon as people are able to differentiate that you look like the cute little baby in the magazine vs. the devil spawn with the cleft palate.

From there your ego is boosted every time someone calls you cute, pretty, attractive and handsome. When girls stop you in the street and gives you her number or propositions you. The society we live in has gone hook line and sinker to wanting, desiring, judging and needing based on how you look. If society had said, sharp blue eyes are buck ugly and the product of inbreeding, then I would be out of luck.

I have been active on here for a few days and get messages, say half a dozen or so each day from what society would percieve to be as attractive women. They proposition, say what they would like to do to me, say they would love to go out etc. It's kind fo funny really. And it sucks, because I know immediately from the start that they could give less of a S*** what I have to say, how I think, what my goals and dreams are. They want my image, and that's about as much who I am as the cover of a book is its message.

At least you know lovelessincr that the woman who you end up with wants you and the core and meaning of who you are. Where as I know the opposite to be true and always will :(
 primalrage43
Msg: 479
Posted: 8/29/2007 3:20:52 AM
I know your right on this subject.I am a middle aged male I know I am kind of rough looking. I have gone thru the same things as you.But i read womens profile I some times send messages to women i dont so attractive just because I find their profiles interesting,But even then I get no replies. some are kind enough to send replies thanking me for my kind works but that is as far as it goes.I have made one female friend who is very pretty. we havent dated but we keep in contact a few times a week.I have seen lots of beautiful women on here and some that remind me of a men in drag.But from what I have come to terms with is the fact i have enough self esteam in my self to know I have alot to offer in a relationship and one day the right woman will see this. I have also come to know that weather a woman looks like a super model or grandmama from the addams family they are all looking for their Brad Pitt.. thus most of them will be here for a long long time.
 lilexplorer
Msg: 480
Posted: 8/29/2007 1:52:54 PM
i have to agree with you on this one, as i havent had a date in 7 yrs. females tell me that i am really nice but behind my back all i hear is" what an ugly fuggga wow, he wont be kissing me at all" so many times ive heard this that i really believe that im ugly.
 rockit12345
Msg: 481
Posted: 9/9/2007 3:21:31 PM
women after 30 years old go 4 cash . not looks . if u had a twin u had no £££££. and your twin had $1000000000. who would pull 1st i think its bad but thats just the way it is
 rockit12345
Msg: 482
Posted: 9/9/2007 3:31:08 PM
i dont look that bad but got no £££££££££££££. and women not on here but out and about dont want to no....first thing they ask is what do u do i.e what do u take home £££ 2nd where do u live £££££££££ and then shoot off to the toilet to chat about it to there mates , wonder what they would say if i said . i am a top doctor on £££££££££££££££££££££££
 spacedog72
Msg: 483
Posted: 9/9/2007 3:39:12 PM
it works both ways...what we really want is NOT what we proclaim to seek.

the initial spark is rarely "wow, look at the intellect on that person"...or "that person's just so caring"... be honest with yourself... it doesn't work that way.

i'm as guilty as any of you here. lord knows i don't want to end up with anyone like those i had bad relationships with in the past... but this stupid little chunk of grey matter between my ears forgets most of that important stuff, and initially focuses on the icing that's on the cake.

mind you, my tastes are very broad...but that's not the point at all. "average" people, with amazing personalities, and boatloads of good to give to others, tend to get overlooked because there is not that immediate "whoah" that pulls people in... and if they're not pulled in, they will never get to know all the good stuff...the cake, as i like to refer to it.

especially on a site like this, looks ARE everything. most of us aren't skilled enough writers to convey anywhere near the sort of depth we'd like to in our little write ups (i totally gave up on it and posted something intentionally cynical and sarcastic in its place, and a few people got the joke, so it actually worked out ok), so, what's left then...but a PICTURE. Looks... they ARE a HUGE amount of what matters...both here and IRL. Take that as you will, could be a blessing or curse. just hope that if you're average, you have good interpersonal skills...show off all those good things you say you have to offer, WORK IT, PEOPLE!!!! if you're a vacuous walking headshot...ride that train till the wheels fall off.
 spacedog72
Msg: 484
Posted: 9/9/2007 3:45:56 PM
and for those who are busy chanting the "self-confidence" mantra.... what do you think, there's a wee switch we can flip, and *BOOM* we're all confident with ourselves? are you really that naive?

self-confidence, esteem, worth, all of that, it's BUILT UP over time...usually through repeated positive outcomes.

if someone is stomped on by others over time, they will eventually believe that is all they are worth...it cannot just be discounted and forgotten. if you think it can, you are fooling yourself.

given time, and encouragement, and repeated positive outcomes, it can come around, but you just don't wake up one day saying "i love me now"... give your heads a shake.

and i'm referring to true self-esteem here....not phony b.s. arrogance, or delusion... there's a lot of that going around too...
 rockit12345
Msg: 485
Posted: 9/9/2007 3:58:27 PM
wwwwwwwwwooooooooowwwwww you are totaly right ......every one on here is low on self-esteem as at there peek they would not have even had a look at this sight ..(when things were going good for them) thing is all they need is a bit of luck
 spacedog72
Msg: 486
Posted: 9/9/2007 4:12:17 PM
it's all a vicious cycle...positive begets positive, and negative begets negative...

i'm the LAST person to hop on the self-esteem bandwagon... why? repeated negative experiences.

but, it's not the end of the world...the more good experiences i get under my belt, the better i feel about me, the better image i present to the world, and in return (hopefully) better things happen to me.

time, encouragement, some good experiences...and things tend to point in the right direction overall....
 SKA213
Msg: 487
Posted: 9/9/2007 4:14:34 PM
My roomate has this theory. People are like credit cards and the more you swipe them the less they have to offer. Like people who are really good looking are swiping their cards all the time and using up what they have to get by on. And people who aren't so attractive, seldomly use theirs. They seem to be full of life inside, if you can bring that out of them those who are less fortunate in the looks department, are oftem dynamite once you get to know.
 Just JJ
Msg: 488
Posted: 9/9/2007 4:21:59 PM
Beauty...... lies in the eyes of the beholder.
 rockit12345
Msg: 489
Posted: 9/9/2007 4:31:12 PM
all u need is a bit of luck one or 2 good things go your way then u will walk tall and more will come as you can see it in ppl when things start to go well and the ladys seem to see that very fast .....thats what u got to have .i got a mate who looks like sh.. but he can get a woman fast very fast ......its cose he got self esteem . he just dont care if they say get lost .....were as a lot off ppl do . and he always gets the ladys.
 SKA213
Msg: 490
Posted: 9/9/2007 4:35:44 PM

especially on a site like this, looks ARE everything. most of us aren't skilled enough writers to convey anywhere near the sort of depth we'd like to in our little write ups (i totally gave up on it and posted something intentionally cynical and sarcastic in its place, and a few people got the joke, so it actually worked out ok), so, what's left then...but a PICTURE. Looks... they ARE a HUGE amount of what matters...both here and IRL. Take that as you will, could be a blessing or curse. just hope that if you're average, you have good interpersonal skills...show off all those good things you say you have to offer, WORK IT, PEOPLE!!!! if you're a vacuous walking headshot...ride that train till the wheels fall off.

So do you think people can fall in love with others just by reading words written in a post? I think so, sometimes it 's just a phrase or someones name that will catch my attention, without even seeing a picture of the person i will automatically be drawn towards the person. Fantasies of what the person might look liek and interact with me happen all the time. But that is usually as far as i will take it. Maybe a brief or cordial communication with the parson of interest and not in-depth response. I find it far more intriging not knowing what the person looks like and using my imagination. With that being said pictures are still worth a thousand words, and seriously contemplating a real relationship they are invaluable. Thats why a chose to put mine on, because it seems more personal and polite, plus you get more response. As opposed to just being Fred from Cleveland..
 rockit12345
Msg: 491
Posted: 9/9/2007 4:41:38 PM
i just wish every one on here luck life can suck . but things always get better .if your out of luck and at the bottom only way is up
if your at the top only way is down
 spacedog72
Msg: 492
Posted: 9/9/2007 4:41:42 PM
where on earth did i say that? i said nothing of the sort... what i DID say was that ON AVERAGE people rely on pics to give them an idea of the person... which, imho, is about as silly as developing any REAL opinion on a person based on a paragraph or two.

i didn't speak in absolutes anywhere... this was the tendency that i was referring to. it didn't take into consideration every anomaly and exception (such as your take on the whole thing).

the concept of dating sites is somewhat flawed by design... we can all take shots of our "best angles", or just upload pics from a better time, when we were in better shape...or hell, post someone ELSE'S photo, if we're that devious. as for the descriptions... some are legitimately interesting and original. but really, how many times can you read "I'm outgoing and friendly, and enjoy adventure" and have ANY sense of who that person is as an individual (that is, assuming that they are being in any way honest...perhaps they read all the threads on how to make a better profile...and are basically treating themself like a used car that's got to be sold)...
 justproper39
Msg: 493
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2007 4:46:30 PM
I truly believe there is someone for everyone, and as long as you post a photo the person will know they arebattracted to you before they meet you because they will know what you look like already. I dont think I am beautiful but I post my picture and then if you are interested in me and I see your picture i will know if I am interested as well, saves some heartache for all. Sorry you feel this way though, please dont kill yourself, you will find someone....
 rockit12345
Msg: 494
Posted: 9/9/2007 4:51:30 PM
no you read to deap i just putt that to cheer evey one up as its so doom and gloom
its not the end of the world .
 SKA213
Msg: 495
Posted: 9/9/2007 4:51:36 PM
Yeah those generalized descriptions "Im outgoing and adventerous." don't have much to do with attracting people, although they do. Don't believe me and change your profile to include (weightlifting, running,sports etc..) and you willl see more responses, but those are fake. Fake because you are not honest with who you are and i guess more people shuld be looking for genuine people and not just the shiny package they come in.
 nursecreative
Msg: 496
Posted: 9/9/2007 5:16:27 PM
I believe beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Sounds like you are either are a little paranoid or suffer from very low self esteem. I guess I am the other 1% on this site who tend to not necessarily go for a guy just for their looks. I tend to put their personality first. I believe people will treat you the way you allow them to. So wise up. Stop feeling sorry for yourself.
 spacedog72
Msg: 497
Posted: 9/9/2007 6:33:09 PM
many people are distracted by shiny things... it's rather sad...

and rockit...wasn't replying to your post...was replying to ska's...you were just a little quicker on the draw than me :P
 Lluvia Suave
Msg: 498
Posted: 9/9/2007 6:42:22 PM
Looks are not everything. They DEFINATELY help! But, they aren't everything. I dated an unnattractive guy. He was very smart and charming. He ended the relationship.

So, that's my take...

Put your best self forward.
 rockit12345
Msg: 499
Posted: 9/9/2007 6:57:48 PM
na i just fell 2 ....its 3am here every one should just b happy to be alive .
is my looks bad is my looks good how vain .
how about i got to arms 2 legs and fit . no one has said any thing to cheer ppl up posss not neg.... you are what u are in life .....just b + not - and things 4 all will be ok
all on hear who are a bit down.as i have read alot of - on here
 rockit12345
Msg: 500
Posted: 9/9/2007 7:06:24 PM
cheer up you can take the p out of my spelling if that will make u smile
just go out more and live life dont sit in and b down
i just like ppl to b if i can make some one smile then my job is over c ya all
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > Looks really are everything....