Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > Looks really are everything....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Loz Hunter
Msg: 551
Looks really are everything....Page 23 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
Hell no - think you are so wrong there, there is someone for everyone in this world, it is just finding them.

Narcissism is rife these days, a result of the beautiful people of the eighties/nineties/naughties, perfect in most every way.

Beauty is as always skin deep and those of us who are not of the beautiful people, stand back and wait, our turn will come, cos there is - like I said - someone for everyone, finding the bugger is beating me right now Must get out more!!!!!
 passionista7
Msg: 552
Looks really are everything....
Posted: 6/14/2008 3:10:16 PM
My advice: Get out and take some chances! Take up a new hobby or sign up for an course at your local college. It sounds like you are living a life of isolation. Mingle, make friends and put yourself first. It might sound cliche but if you are loving life and truly like who you are then people will be attracted to you.
 Sure,Not
Msg: 553
Posted: 6/14/2008 3:20:29 PM
Heres a couple other threads that might be considered metaphoric to this thread...
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts8934499.aspx
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts10166604.aspx

Like i said before, looks don't stay the same, and beside who deffines what looks good and what doesn't. I have been defined as a hotty many times and I just don't care, I want to know what you think of my heart and soul...Am "I" for "You" or not...and vise verse... Looks do not remain the same through out our lives. So whats more important, although I feel that if I found the right lady, I would be very physicaly attracted to her for our entire lives together. The definition of attraction comes from how you feel.
 mfreemo
Msg: 554
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2008 4:12:21 PM
Looks are not everything, but it IS the natural place to start.

I think it's helpful to remember that looks are subjective. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Although nearly everyone thinks Angelina Jolie is beautiful - not everyone does.
Not everyone finds Ugly Betty ugly. Some people think pugs are pretty!?
Whether there are lots of people that think you are pretty or only a few, it is only important that you find the one that think you are beautiful.

Attraction and beauty are separate things, too. I have found myself attracted to ladies that would be considered beautiful to most guys, and I have found some very beautiful women to be unattractive. There have been times when I found myself hugely attracted to women that would be considered by most as plain, but to me they were breathtakingly beautiful. It's a mystery, but ia good one.

On the sites, you are pretty much judged by your looks because... what else is there? You don't get to judge them on their personality and attraction through the computer screen. I'm not sure anyone trusts the information in our profiles. even when we are being completely honest. You'll have to email, chat, phone, and meet to ascertain whether there is attraction beyond looks, and only your looks will get you in the door. Here.

I think it's good you are on the forums because it gives even more insight into your personality and someone might pick up on it. It does seem from your OP that you are a sad sack and the poor me thing would turn me off, but then, you are still in the running because there are people that are attracted to that, too.

Be yourself.
 exciting1
Msg: 555
Posted: 6/14/2008 4:31:55 PM
I would say that to over half the men and about a third of the women maybe, that looks are everything. To me, they are 1/3 of the physical, emotional and spiritual. They can be very good or very bad and can still be balanced out by some other things sometimes. Regarding the 1/3 that is looks, I look for overall appearance, not specific features, like the haircolor bias, etc.
 plebayo
Msg: 556
Posted: 6/14/2008 4:39:36 PM
I always try to remember when I'm feeling really down...

"God loves ugly."

Then I don't feel so bad xD
 cardsandchips
Msg: 557
Posted: 6/14/2008 4:54:29 PM
This is crazy but........most of the replies to this post are from people who do not show images of themselves on their profiles.

Yes looks matter to some extent.

What happens if you talk to someone for awhile and you seem to click but then when you see a pic of them there is no physical attraction? How do you bow out without hurting the others feelings? It's not easy if you are a nice person.

Actually the same goes for people who show pics but when you meet them they look nothing like their pics. What a waste of everyones time.

Quote from the person that started this thread:::I guess ugly people should just kill themselves because they have no chance whatsoever.

That is a stupid statement and if I wanted to give you a stupid answer I would say that ugly people can always find other ugly people.

I'm gonna quit while I am behind....this is just another stupid post on POF forums............I must be stupid also for trying to justify this bs .......no wonder I drink!

exciting1
Msg: 558
Posted: 6/14/2008 5:59:06 PM
i've had a few instances of people who had no pic posted or had old pics posted. i either quit writing, said no thanks and/or declined a date. they are taking their chances so i feel less bad about it. i haven't actually met anyone who looked different from their pics though.
 Sure,Not
Msg: 559
Posted: 6/15/2008 9:34:58 PM
I may not have my pics posted but they are uploaded for email purposes only, I do look at profiles without pics because I am interested in people like myself, that don't think they should have to. I had my pics up in the distant past and it just brought trouble, too many, too much , too fast... Mind you I put up a chest shot back then aswell.. Just to see how many would respond to that. Many women will say they don't want to respond to hot looking guys but do anyway. I would say nearly 100% of all women look for hot looks over ugly. Of all the guys I know, thier taste in women seems to be all over the board, like mine. I DO NOT think angolina joline is hot! I think average everyday women are hot. blue jeans and long hairaging gracefully without plastic surgery.
Non of my pics are old either, they are all within 2 years up to 2 weeks ago... and no chest shots this time...lol
I am not into shallow women! I just happen to be cursed with good looks and a hot ass...lol
 jbjb85
Msg: 560
Posted: 6/16/2008 1:22:39 AM
I'll be honest - looks are important. If I were to choose between two equally kind, educated, open - minded men, I would choose the more physically attractive one.
Now, while I'll admit that looks are important, they aren't everything. I know plenty of attractive men who have rocks in their heads and/or are complete jerks. I'd rather date a less attractive guy who had a great personality than a guy with a flawless face and perfect body who treated me like crap.
 jbjb85
Msg: 561
Posted: 6/16/2008 9:47:09 AM
Oh yes my dear, I regret to inform you that you are QUITE cursed with good looks.
 Amanda J A N E
Msg: 562
Posted: 6/16/2008 9:59:55 AM
lovelessincr

You are such a pig, that is why you are going to be alone, dont you realize that all those pretty girls will get fat one day, get wrinkles one day, Their looks will not last neither will your looks, so why be superficial? I dont rely on my looks, I mean I think that I am an ok looking girl, I dont think that I am all that, I mean really you are a freaking pig that needs a reality check because you want a sexy looking woman and one day they will be fat and have wrinkles and and when you get that way also Whats going when no one wants to be with you because your not attrative HMMMMMM
Think about that the next time you judge someone for the way they look you A**HOLE
 theandy1
Msg: 563
Posted: 6/21/2008 1:12:57 AM
I hope you're wrong OP. I know looks are almost everything to women, but I've held onto the hope that some women are out for money. Once I get done with college and hopefully start making a decent salary I hope it will help them forget about my awful looks. And ladies I know some of you aren't only after looks/money, but you're usually the ones that are in a happy relationship with a guy who treats you right and wouldn't break your heart aka you are unavailable.
 sweetjemgirl
Msg: 564
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2008 2:53:01 AM
Seriously, men are accusing women of being shallow.... Shallow Hal - LOVED that movie!!! Too bad that couldn't be done in real life huh?

Anyhow, the original op's profile states clearly what he wants in a woman - under 150, caucasion, certain age, certain hair color. So if I were bearded one ton betty from the circus but had a great smile and personality would he give me the time of day? Would any of the men in here accusing women of being all about looks/money?

As other women have stated, a guy can be GQ and even GQ and rich but if he is a creep then no thanks. How many men leave their wives for the hot secretaries (and how many atleast fantasize about it?) - trading in the old model for the new?

OK - absolutely I don't want to date the hunchback of Notre Dame, but what I find attractive in a man doesn't mean all the other ladies will see in the same light. It truly is a matter of being in the eye of the beholder. My girlfriend and I have TOTALLY different tastes - I do not find any of the men she likes attractive (on the outside - many are very great guys) and visa versa.

One thing I do believe is that NOONE finds a person (male or female) attractive who is negative/bitter/depressed/poor me/ect. A person's attitude will either greatly enhance attraction or repel it.
 theandy1
Msg: 565
Posted: 6/21/2008 1:06:52 PM
I agree with no one liking the negative, depressed, poor me, etc comment, that attitude will only hurt you. However, you can act positive, upbeat, yay me, etc and it still won't change the fact that women are only after looks. I'm just glad you didn't try to say women love confidence, because people have tried to tell me that and it's a lie. Don't get me wrong I am not over confident, but I find acting confident is really easy. I just wish that and having great chemistry as far as personality goes with someone was enough to make them want to date more!
 KingCrip
Msg: 566
Posted: 5/4/2011 5:28:16 PM
"women who value looks above personality are shallow and cheap"

thats EVERY girl!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 567
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2011 4:37:40 AM
You are destined for greatness, alleged sir. Not.
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 568
Posted: 5/5/2011 5:18:37 AM
mr mfreemo,I think you nailed it on all accounts.

On the sites, you are pretty much judged by your looks because... what else is there? You don't get to judge them on their personality and attraction through the computer screen. I'm not sure anyone trusts the information in our profiles. even when we are being completely honest.

True,it's a crap shoot as many can talk the talk,but no where near, walk the walk! lol

I think it's good you are on the forums because it gives even more insight into your personality and someone might pick up on it. It

Good point, as it sometimes ,will tell what a person is made up of & where they are really going,if anywhere.
 ladyc4
Msg: 569
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2011 10:15:05 AM

find acting confident is really easy.

Confidence is a state of being, not something you "act". If you have to think about "acting" confident-you AREN'T.
Cindy O
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > Looks really are everything....