Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Is this the new millenium or what      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Past_Imperfect
Msg: 26
Is this the new millenium or whatPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I don't think it is an age thing - I'm the same age as you and I don't expect any man to spend a fortune on a date, or to pay all the costs.

I've had chips at the seaside and coffee in the park, visited a tiny local museum that cost nothing, followed by a drink...there are cheap ways to have nice dates. Personally I save the expensive meals for people I know well.

What I can't stand is men who count every penny and want to split absolutely everything down the middle - once or twice I've felt like offering a calculator to help someone split the bill. So long as both are contributing I'm happy.
 TheBiz84
Msg: 27
Is this the new millenium or what
Posted: 11/14/2011 6:54:16 AM
I'd be happy if the women offered at least to pay for half or all of what the date cost. It shows they aint after your money.
 Cinderfreakinella
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/14/2011 9:55:29 AM
I always pay my half, dont want to feel obliged to anyone, and it's hardly fair on the guys if they have to pay for all the dates with every woman is it...

Halves is best and the fairest way

I've turned dates down if I'm a bit skint before pay day,and see him after pay day
 RockyPP59
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2011 12:27:53 PM
^^^^^^ The voice of reason, I think.

To be fair, most women I've encountered (backed up by the female forumites here)have adopted a very fair and modern approach so maybe it is just those you've encountered OP.

I'd certainly expect to pay where I'd invited someone for a meal out, just as I would in a non-dating social context. I'm also happy to pay for the first few dates anyway but if you are seeing someone regularly, I think sharing is best.

Where it starts to become tedious though is that although many women "offer" theyre not "really" offering, they do it in a way that is reticent and where accepting the "offer" will pretty much guarantee you wont see them again even if the date went well

I agree. I hate this. It's used to "test" you and indicates an attitude of entitlement. I only encountered it once. Although, it was not a deal breaker, we didn't last long afterwards.

Reckon I dodged a bullet!
 _nx_
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/15/2011 12:14:14 PM

I'd be happy if the women offered at least to pay for half or all of what the date cost. It shows they aint after your money.

erm... no it doesnt. clever girls like me always offer to pay half, sometimes even insist on buying his meal as well.... blokes love it... they always fall for it, especially as i come across as a bit poverty struck as well, with my tatty shoes and all that... they think its sweet that i want to share the little bit i've got with them... (barf)

as soon as ive got him emotionally wound around my little finger, i lure him into my bed... obviously i do the whole shy/timid/inexperienced thing that blokes love so much, and then i get myself up the pole and naturally, you blokes being such suckers, you normally marry me.....

ive got five children and four ex husbands (soon to be five).

which equates to four (soon to be five) lots of lovely child maintenance being paid into my bank account...

ive organised it so the kids all have contact with their respective dads on the same weekend so i can dedicate some quality time to find mr six....

line up boys...

i'll provide my own engagement ring...
 suffolkngoode
Msg: 31
Posted: 11/15/2011 1:15:22 PM
honeytrap!! :)
 tatt_erella
Msg: 32
Posted: 11/15/2011 2:54:15 PM
I'm with Cinders there; if I don't have the money ; then I will leave meeting them until I do.

Most of the dates i've been on the men have been quite 'old school' and wanted to pay for everything; but I still insist on contributing at least towards some of it.
 light-star
Msg: 33
Posted: 11/15/2011 2:58:27 PM
I've picked up the tab on every meet so far, thought to be quite fair, the worst bill was for ham egg & chips and a diet coke (I know how to show a lady a good time) - I sort of assume its 'thank you' for actually turning up (aah) - perhaps I'm out of touch?

MikeWM
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2011 3:44:09 PM
I'm starting to feel a bit out of touch and old fashioned now

I thought it was "proper" for the man to pay for the first date in its entireity and as a thank you the woman is supposed to bring him breakfast in bed the next morning

I cant keep up with all these changes
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Is this the new millenium or what